The War has Begun (Samheen 29th Late TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hector pushed the door open and ushered Barrett inside, motioning for him to take one of the chairs that were set about a marble slab that served as a table, the office a veritable mess, but the Querist would find a spot to sit, the Chancellor having removed the stacks of papers that otherwise occupied the chairs. Within a pair was already seated, Imperial Thaumaturgist sitting nervously, his hair singed and his robe blackened as if he had passed through fire. Next to him a lady was seated, dressed in the garb of Pan’s clergy, her face appearing slightly haunted and drawn as if she had been through some ordeal not so long ago.

“Simon, there is something you should hear.” The mage turned his gaze to the pair and arched a brow, his impatient question interrupted by Hector. “Seems like your guest was invited here by the Major Domos. He authorized their presence here, in order for them to aid Captain Ulder and the others in the demon hunt. But, this young man says that their presence was not necessary and that they could have prevailed without them.” Dark shadow fell over Ginneke’s face and he pointed to the hair opposite him. “Take a sit and shush.”

He turned to Celestine and sought to answer her question. “The man who stole the shard is dead. I beheaded him with a spell, but not before he flung the shard into the Aether. He must have known what he was doing for he threw it on top of some mountain surrounded by the angels of Dominicus. I tried to get it back, but….. Well, let us just say that there were too many of them and that I nearly died myself. I can’t go there myself because my magic will not work there, but a group of those with experience in Aetheric travel and with access to faith magick might succeed. Thus I summoned you and the others who should have been here already.”
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett sat, and he shushed – as long as one did not count the incredulous gasp that escaped him at the sight of Celestine. Recognition crystallized his memory of the Aether encounter with the Horned God and His followers.

And as long as one ignored the murmur that followed the Thaumaturgist's description of the Aether scene:

"Godspeak."

His mind was too busy adapting to the new input and running possible explanatory scenarios based upon his prior experiences. Still, there were clearly questions forming that would soon need to be voiced. After all, he was a Querist, perhaps the Querist.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon’s head snapped towards Barrett the moment that single word left his lips, but it was not the anger that molded his features, but curiosity. “Yes, Godspeak. Or rather its Aetheric counterpart. The shard is there and as long as it remains there, I can do nothing to stop Dominicus. I was midway in my experiments, when the shard was stolen. Given a bit more time I could have not only been able to kill Dominicus, but also to mold him into something else. Something less aggressive.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Kill a god..."
Barrett's tone was neutral, cautious. He had wondered about the possibility of such an act. Surely there were past deities who had been destroyed by something other than a lack of followers or the encroachment of a new, more powerful god. But was it... the right thing to do? Could one really contemplate leaving an entire population suddenly adrift in the spiritual sense? And what other forces might seize an opportunity to feed on such chaos? If the Nether were active now, what would the effect of stripping a major god from the Aetheric pattern be?
"Is it the god one must mold, or the believers? Will not their insatiable need to expand and conquer simply re-corrupt their god if you do succeed in neutering him?"

"I must ask one question: please do not think ill of me for wondering. How did you come to be in possession of such a shard? And how did it come to exist separate from the primary being in the first place?"

Post by Guest »

Celestine was about to reply when the doors opened and the woman was ushered in. She also heard the gasp of the Querist and her own face expressed surprise. A memory floated to her surface from the time she was dead. Wasn't he one of those who had been there when she had met with Pan?

She looked at him, then at the woman who seemed to be a sister of her faith. With a polite bow to Simon and a murmured "Excuse me sir. She is of my faith, and I must try to ease her pain as best I can.", she went over to the Querist and the lady in the burned robes. Looking at the Querist, she gave him a brief smile. "Good to see you in the world of the living." Then she went to the woman and knelt.

"Sister, are you okay?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Making a few assumptions here in order to get the story running

Two pairs of eyes followed Celestine as she moved about the room, seemingly willing to help someone who was not there. It was Hector that came to her side, and gently took her by the arms, leading her back to the chair. “Milady, please sit down. Would you like something to drink to calm down a bit. There is nobody here, but the four of us. Look, you, me, Simon and Master Threespan.” It was a very peculiar situation that the Chancellor found himself in, and he was not sure how to react. “None of us is injured.”

Simon spent barely a flicker staring at Celestine turning back upon Barrett quickly. “Their God will be dead. And they will have to turn and worship someone else. Or something else. How do you think all those people are going to agree on worshiping a single God. It has taken them yahren to get to this point. It will take them much more to get there again. ”He shrugged and sighed. “I think that it is quite possible that the Dominicus himself is not the problem. At least not the biggest part of it. It is the clergy, but I can not, or could not have influenced them all. I had the power over him through that shard.” He paused as if pondering something. “I can only speculate as to how the shard came into being, and why it was given to the person I took it from. It provided whomever held it with a direct link to Dominicus, but I can see no reason how it came into the possession of the girl. Surely someone more worthy of it would have been a better choice. Someone able to protect it better.” There came another shrug and that was it.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett's own eyes followed the stare of the young Panling. After her experience in that place – the memory made the priest shudder – he could understand some disorientation. And who knew, perhaps she was seeing the spirit of some troubled or departed sister in Pan.

Simon's words brought Barrett back to the present. They in fact caused him to flinch.
"Kill a god?"
Ginneke surely knew that he spoke these words to a priest. Never mind that Barrett himself had been contemplating such a strategy.
"The death of a god would leave a great gap in our protection from Nether infringement. I would prefer not to spend the rest of my days in battle with the Daemons. And who is to say some darker being is not lying in wait to be empowered by the cries of his followers?"

"And the shard... could it have been meant for the Western Prince – perhaps as a means of Dominicus reigning in his followers?"

"But... I am most curious. You state that you had power over the deity through the shard. You say this as if it is fact. Has it been supported by actual experiments?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon raised a finger and pointed it at Barrett. "I said I could have killed him, not that I would have done it. At least not without careful consideration. It has been my wish to be a bit subtler than that and to try to influence him through the shard. To make him less aggressive if at all possible. Killing him would have been my last option should everything else fail." He frowned slightly and took a deep breath to calm himself. "I am well aware of what it would do to the already frail borders between Tether and Nether, but would you prefer a slow, certain death by the One God or risk weakening the barriers in order to prevent it, even though it might let the demons loose into our world? Besides, why do you think the borders of reality are so strained right now? Perhaps, because Dominicus is threatening all other Gods? His current actions have a similar effect to what his death would have wrought."

Once more he calmed himself, slowing down his breathing, getting his tone under control. "As said I have no idea how the shard came into being. I can only make educated guesses. I do not think the Western Prince would have much use for it, him being the avatar of the One already. What I do know from my earlier research is that it is possible for someone to cause changes in an individual just by having access to their soul. And that it is possible to tap into someone's soul through the Aether, though it takes a lot of effort and it is almost impossible to find the right soul in the multitude that reside there. The simplest of manipulation can cause pain and in most cases even the death of whomever has his soul tampered with. More subtle changes require great skill and in-depth knowledge of the individual to be changed. By having an actual piece of someone's soul, which I have not seen till this instance, there was no need for me to tamper with the Aether, as I had the very thing I needed right there in my hands. However, it was stolen too soon. I have had the shard for only a couple of days, and without more experimentation I can not tell you just how much control over the God I could have wielded. But, yes, this was the first instance where I, or for that matter anyone, had been even trying to tamper with a soul of an actual deity."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"My pardon, I did not mean to take such an accusatory tone. If anything, it is because I level that accusation at myself as well. I must admit to having worked along much the same thought process as you in evaluating the consequences weighed against the damage of the present course of things. It does seem we are running thin on options."

"I had thought to consult the Oracle... or perhaps a less extreme information resource left at my disposal in the Thinker's name. But I have to know the right question to ask, lest I waste the gift of knowledge."

"You say the shard is in the Aether. More specifically in a location molded by the One's own mind. How do you plan on retrieving it? It seems folly to send someone into such a meta-place."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The mention of the Oracle got Simon attention and he turned to face Barrett leaning upon his knee and listening intently. "Oh, I would very much like to know what answer the Oracle gives you. As well as the question you ask of it." The man paused for, but a fraction of a flicker before jumping to another subject, his hyperactivity making it seem normal to Simon. "The Aether is a dangerous place to mages. To those that do not rely on sorcery as a source of their power it is pretty much like Tether. I obviously can't go there, because my magick would be of no use there, or will at least be too dangerous for me to use. For those that rely on non-magickal means to get through life or even priests it would not be that different. And priests might even have the added benefit of drawing the attention of their Gods to them and maybe getting some divine aid while they are there. I don't need them to kill Dominicus. Just get the shard and run. I'll draw them back here once they manage that."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett looked to the troubled Panling, concern clearly etched in his features.
"You do not mean to send her back to that Place? The memory, the strain... after she fought so hard and Pan answered to free her."

"I take it that you mean to recruit me with this talk of priests... although I must also be wary of the warnings for less divine sorcerers I think. The Aether is a dangerous place."
The Querist frowned remembering the layers of protection he wore even in seemingly innocent dreams.
"All the more so because it may seem like Tether and yet fail to behave in a logical manner all at once... But such exploration is a tantalizing lure."

A variety of motivations carried out an extended and almost uninterpretable battle. The priest himself was uncertain of just what his own purpose was in making the offer that followed.

"I see no one else here. Have you called upon others to make this journey? I imagine that the One is motivating his own followers for a similar search. And I have other duties and callings that require attention. Yet I will assist, on the conditions that you help me to journey to the Isle to consult the Oracle and that Hector helps me with the formalities of filling the Council seat for Oracle's Isle."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon shook his head as an almost irritated expression showed on his face. "I had no idea the lady was in such condition. I simply sent out a number of invitations to people I thought would be interested in helping out as well as be trusted not to betray the Empire. As you can see I was quite honest about the dangers of such journey, but it has to be undertaken. It may be our only chance at stopping the Dominicus. And I can't go, because if I do, none of us will ever get out. I'll open up a portal once the expedition is successful and pull them back here."

Concern etched a number of lines on Simon's face when Barrett mentioned how nobody else but Celestine and him was there. "Ah, yes. You got me there. I sent quite a number of invitations, but people don't seem interested in adventure anymore it seems. But, tell me how do you can help and I am sure Chancellor will see how he can help you. And I'll see what can be done about your journey. Do you plan to go get the shard, or is your role more advisory? What is it you can do for us?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett took a long moment to consider, withdrawing into himself to access the most complex levels of thought. Simon's words echoed as if the priest were listening from far away. An advisory position seemed... ideal, but there appeared to be no one for him to advise. And if there were a piece of a god loose in the Aether – one that might be used to end the conflict – then the priorities of the Querist's many other responsibilities seemed lessened.

"I can find information, interpret data to offer council; but, if there is no one to follow such advice... With the blessing and boon of Aurelius, I will enter into this hunt for the shard. If we can find other allies among the priests and paladins of the Empire, they are welcome. I suspect that the many souls who have been crossing over the Aether bonds in dreams or called by Pan may already be attempting our mission, whether or not they know it. It might be possible to martial them into our task force."

"The trip to the Oracle... I would have its council before attempting the Aether. But I understand if you deem immediacy mandatory. What exactly were you planning?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"There will be others going about the same business in the Aether. I have sent messages to several of my colleagues all across the Empire and they have been doing something similar to this. Recruiting people they deem capable of handling the task. And I suppose you could serve in a supportive role. In fact that might be just the thing we need. I could send your spirit to that place through magick induced slumber." Then he paused, his eyes darting this way and that a sure sign that he was pondering something, and Hector used the chance it presented for him to step in.

"Now, son, about that Council seat. The Oracle Isle already has a representative. Or at least someone who casts vote in their name. The vote is held by the Rafao Ionis. You would be stepping on some pretty large toes if you go through with your plan. And I cannot help you with it. It would be meddling." The man's face was quite serious and grave. "I can only answer any questions regarding ways it could be accomplished, and even offer advice on how to proceed. But, I will not bend the rules and pull strings to make it happen. You will have to work for that vote." He was not done when Simon spoke up again. "I can send you to the Isle right away. But, are you certain that you can be back in time?" Eyes darting to Hector he added. "Do you think the Duke can help us? The portal would be far less draining for me."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"The Rafao has the authority to vote in the absence of a true representative of the Isle. However, he does not sit at council. Instead, the vote for Oracle's Isle is carried by a representative of a representative who was originally appointed as a matter of convenience by the caesar without any clear connection to or authorization from the Isle itself."

"Given the nature of the problems facing us from the West and from the Nether, and the need for a more unified presence of the faiths of the Isles, I strongly believe that the interests of the Oracle and of the holy orders would be better served by having someone representative of them on the advisory council. In fact the reason that I am here in your office is that I wanted to ask about the formality of such a representative being appointed. Whose authority would be needed to declare it and what official proof would be needed?"

"I believe that Ionis is wise enough to resist being offended, especially if I seek his counsel within a reasonable amount of time. In fact, I can think of several reasons why he might want another confidant present at council."

Back in time. That was a good question. But from Barrett's experience, time on the Isle was not the same as time within the rest of Tazlure. He hoped that would work to his advantage, for he did not want to seek the Shard without first hearing the advice of the Oracle.

"And yes, let us use the Portal. I know the strain of opening such gateways and do not wish to exhaust you in such a way at this critical time."
Last edited by Barrett on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

This was the ground Hector was familiar with, unlike some vague magickal mumbo-jumbo, concerning Gods, shard of their souls and sending people to realm of magick to retrieve it. Pulling a chair closer he sat down and creased his forehead in thought. "Quite correct, Master Threespan. As to what would be needed in order for you to be accepted as the representative of the Oracle Isle.... If I recall correctly you will need a letter of recommendation from the two thirds of the resident orders on the island, giving to you the right to represent them before the Council. Bring those to me and I will present them before the Council member at the next session and unless anyone can prove them to be false you will gain the right to vote effective immediately."

Simon sought to interject here, but before he could even utter a word, Hector raised a finger. "And what is this about Ionis wanting another confident at the Council. Is there something I should know? We should know?" Waving away at Simon he added irritably. "Yes, yes, Simon, I will send a letter to the Duke informing him of Master Threespan's need and his destination. He can leave at his earliest convenience."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"...what would be needed in order for you to be accepted as the representative of the Oracle Isle..."
The words rang oddly in Barrett's hearing. Was he really seeking this office, this responsibility, this – yes – power for himself? He had initially wanted the seat filled by someone in order to have the interest of unified faiths represented on council, and – though he would not admit it – to break up the voting block that Isis wielded. But from what he knew of Oracle's Isle, most of the priests there had little interest in the goings-on of the outside world. The Order of Light was an exception, but their interests were adequately represented in the person of Sosa. His order was the most logical to fairly balance the interests of all; and, by his own recent activities and interest, in the absence of Rioja Barrett was the most likely to fill the position well.

"Two thirds... I shall have to consult the archives to see which orders are officially on the role to be considered. Even if they do not accept me, I might move them to appoint someone appropriate."
There was a humble note to his voice as he spoke that last sentence.

"As for Ionis... I do but analyze patterns of data and suppose that he might desire another source of information. However, I will stop short of naming the likely reasons for such need until I can verify my suspicions, as we Aurelians prefer to be a source of knowledge rather than careless perpetuators of rumor."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon looked at Barrett and grew calmer. "Do you have a plan, young man? Of how to approach them? Rafao is the high priest of Amunic pantheon. That is why he holds the Council vote." He and Hector were interrupting each other so much that Simon did not even flinch when the Chancellor added. "You will have to convince them that either you are better, or that Rafao won't mind you replacing him. Can you do that? The portal can take you there, and you won't have to take the ship since you are a priest, but you will need to be Hellishly persuasive in order to get that spot. And in this I can't help you even if it were not unethical."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"I have been considering it... balancing the interests of each sect. Some of them might be malleable given a certain scandal that occured when last I resided there. Others, I share blood bond with : allies lost in battle against a common foe. Knowledge may help in unexpected ways with the rest. It will be a matter of making them want what I want. And since it is in their best interest..."
Faced with the importance of this next challenge, Barrett's mind was flying along at a faster speed than his words could match.
"...more importantly I think they will want to make a quick decision in order to return to the Isle's routine... I may have more of a chance than it appears. It is a puzzle to solve - and quickly."

"Perhaps if I gain the support - or seeming support - of the Oracle. I just do not know for certain, but I know I must try."

"Tell me, was Ionis chosen by Anochrim to represent them, or was he appointed by a congress of the Isle itself?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: I am currently working on arranging for the next thread. It will be ready this weekend and I will provide the link for you.

Being hyperactive as he was Simon had not trouble following Barrett's line of thought. Hector on the other hand simply focused on several important bits and skipped over the rest, and thus his reply might not have been complete. "Ionis was chosen by the temples. Caesar has no right to appoint people to the Council. Or at least not one of the Representative votes. And even if Ionis were not the high priest, the vote would still go to him in the absence of another representative since it defaults to the Viceroy of the East. All in all, it matters not how you garner their support, as long as you can prove you have it and you bring that proof to me. Just be prepared that Rafao will not be very happy if you do manage to get that vote."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Yes, yes... minor details. I had but wondered if he carried the vote solely as Viceroy. I still think I may gain Ionis as an ally. He seemed a reasonable fellow when we met. Isis will be another matter entirely... but she must be dealt with anyway..."
That particular matter was not fit for the current discussion, so Barrett cut the thought short.

"So. A trip to archives to verify the official list of resident orders - subject to ammendment by the Isle itself. A few other minor bits of research... and I shall be ready to make the trip, I think. Once I return - successful or not - Master Thaumaturge, I shall be at your disposal."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon nodded and so did Hector, both men exchanging a questioning glance and awarding each other with a slight shrug. "Yes. Contact me when you are back and we shall discuss how you will enter the Aether. Whether with your corporeal body or perhaps merely via your spirit. But, I suggest you start moving. Hector you mind writing a letter to the Duke to inform him of what young man here is doing? Or merely asking him to give him prompt access to the portal." Hector nodded and rose to scribble a few notes, handing a folded paper to Barrett. "Will that be all."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"It is more than I expected. I thank you, my lords. I hope to see you again soon with good news and good counsel."

Taking leave of the two notables, Barrett headed swiftly to the Archives to seek Tabeann's wisdom. Normally he would enjoy spending marks to research the relevant information, but there was no time to waste.

(OOC: If you want to end this with a summing-up post, that's okay with me. Barrett will just ask which orders have the authority to vote and who heads them. And if she has any suggestions or warnings. :) )
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”