Troth: The Reign of Witches

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Post by Hamar so`Bergliin »

Hamar had gotten used to speaking first for their and so the young crafter of crystal did so as Hex questioned them. "I could ask the same question of you Hex. Finding one of my clan here was even more surprising than finding these people and their village." Hamar began. He poured himself a cup of tea and settled into a more comfortable position on the ground.

"I am here because the Ice Queen has allowed me to glimpse a Ruud I must walk and it has led me here. I seek knowledge and wisdom generations gone from Rimmerhold and that I am told can be found in the Talons." Hamar sipped his tea. "Your turn. Why are you here?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex smiled as the young man directed the question back to her.

"I am here because my Queen has lead me her. I sought her guidance and in her wisdom she has given me the power of magic to do her bidding. She has shown me the wall of death. It is there that I go to do war upon those of the other side in the name of the Queen. Each branch in my path has lead me to pick up new clues and lean new skills as well as gain new allies. I have survived the wild, met the ones known as the Guardians, defeated the invaders and their flying ships, seen the fall of the hippogryph and met these people of Trothgard. Those that have no clan name."

Hex paused...

"I have become a Warrior Priestess in the name of the Queen and I do her bidding. It is by her will that I am here, meeting this tribe, waiting for one that matches your description."

Hex smiled. Sipped her tea.

"So, tell me of this Ruud..."
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Let's see if we can regain some momentum in this thread, shall we?

While Hex and Hamar conversed in Skaali's tent, it was outside where Maha and Ukko made themselves at home in Sjalfradr. The Priestess and the burly man began to unpack the sleds and settle in, erecting their own tents on the outskirts of the tiny, remote village.

Kari the silent had not spoken in a great many moons. Weeks and months had passed for her without any utterance from her lips, indeed it was approaching a yahren since she swore her vow. But the pounding in her head caused those silent lips to part and she nearly cried out in pain and astonishment as the wind kicked up, and a figure could be seen approaching from the north, down the slopes of the great mountains before them.

There were no patrols in the north. None of the people of Sjalfradr had gone into the mountains in weeks. The last was Skaali, and he was sitting inside his tent, conversing with the red haired woman from the southern settlements, and the shaper, whom she had instantly recognized from her dreams. She stood and watched the figure descend from the mountains in silence, her eyes wide with fear and wonder.

It was Hrut who noticed Kari's strange behavior first. With a shout towards the others, and a clap on Ukko's shoulder, the hardy Hrut picked up one of his spears and walked out to stand by Kari. The other villagers pointed and gasped, and before long, the noise was loud enough to reach the ears of those inside the tent conversing. It was obvious by their shouts and warnings, that something or someone was approaching. Skaali stood suddenly and snatched up a bow and quiver lying nearby the pallet he slept on.

"Something approaches." He said, as he quickly disappeared through the flap and out into the rising wind.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Something is happening. Wait, something that has a well defended and hard people running about is happening...

Hex moved. The tea was placed firmly into the ground as she snatched up her glaive and wolf pelt cloak. The first thought that Hex had was that more of those 'sky ships' had arrived. She touched the power and brought up her defences. Shaper, priestess, warriors, it all did not matter to Hex. Combat was what she did and she was going to be ready for what ever was out the door.

Ok, she was not ready for that...what ever that was. Hex's knuckles cracked as she adjusted her grip on her weapon.

"Is it just me or is that a man made of crystal?"

Hex looked to those about her.

"Well priestess, you look like you know something. Is this good or bad? Do I get to have more tea or should we be getting ready for a fight?"

Hex stood there looking at those with their mouth open.

"Either way my tea is getting cold."

Hex shrugged and started to walk towards the approaching figure, mumbling under her breath...

"Flying boats, wizards of men, guardian beasts, dead hipogryphs and now this. I should have stayed in Dort and ran that personal army...at least there I had some control over my destiny...all for the love of my Queen, so be it."
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The figure that descended from the high peaks was nothing any of them had ever seen before.

With the misty wind and snow whipping about, the great figure that was coming down the mountain revealed itself to be actually two figures. The first and most obvious was a great, white, shaggy bear. The great bears were common up here in the knees of Gymir's Talons, but this was nearly twice as large as any ever seen. His dagger claws clicked and pummeled the ice and snow, and his eyes were as large as fist, set into a head the size of a boulder. His powerful muscles rippled under his thick coat and he bore down the mountain at a fast and dangerous pace, right at the tiny village.

The second figure was tiny, slight and slender, and standing on the back of the great, savage bear. She was a tiny, willowy thing and seemed not to be paying attention to the least in maintaining her balance and position on the back of the powerful animal. She merely stood as her mighty mount shuffled and ran down the steep slope of ice and snow. With the beast's great size and her small figure, she looked as if she were awash in a sea of white on the bear's back as it barrelled down at the remote village.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar grabbed his hammer and cloak and raced after Hex to stand with the others. "I wish it was a man made of crystal. That I would know something about." Hamar was experiencing that strange sense of remembering things he never knew again. To stand atop that great breast as the woman did was impossible yet it was simply right that she did so. It could be no other way.

If this being came to fight them, Hamar did not know what use he would be. Still he hefted his hammer and waited to see what would happen next.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Why did I think that was a man of crystal?...

Hex shook her head and looked now to the figure approaching the small settlement. She stopped, cocked her head and then grinned widely as if she were a little girl who had been given too much candy.

Yes that figure looked just like a tapestry that she had walked by so many times.

maybe she does want tea?

Hex laughed out loud as she waited for the figure to arrive.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The shambling gait of the giant bear suddenly halted before them. It's ragged breath steamed in the cold air, its great claws clicked and twitched on the broken ice under its mighty feet.

It was then they got a better look at the slim figure that had been riding it. She was a slender, lovely woman, very pale in complexion, with frosty blue hair that swirled about her like a snow storm. Majectic in form and foreboding in her countenance, she wore a whispy, filmy gown of ice and snow that glittered in shades of pastel silver, blue and white.

She floated to the ground lightly and as her delicate, bare feet touched the ground a sharp pain shot through all that were there. The shock came from the ground up, and travelled through their feet, up into their legs and up their spines. It was a brief flash, but there was no mistake that it came the instant the stranger's feet touched the ice and snow.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

It was a shock unlike anything she had felt before. The pain of it in her spine caused her knees to buckle slightly and forced her to take a step back and straighten herself out again.

Hex had been waiting for so long for this moment that now that it was here she was unsure how to proceed. Hex was wise in many ways but the way of the meeting of a true Queen was quite beyond her.

Hex steadied herself. Unsure exactly what was going on or why she decided to put on her 'game' face and planted herself in a firm stance of strength. She did not want to appear to be challenging but she did not want to appear weak. She was her Queen's Warrior Priestess and in meeting her she wanted to show her strength and resolve.

There was a part of her mind that was in awe though, how could she not be? Hex did not know what to do so she did what came naturally to her, she gave a bow of her head and grinned like a fool in a whore house.

As she said before, where ever she went she never left it the same as it was before she was there.
~
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar cried out at the lashing of cold that drilled through his body. He took a step forward and would have stumbled to the ground if he had not swung his hammer down to lean on and catch his fall.

Hex confused him by nodding and grinning wildly. A being of power this lady might be but he knew her not and would not bend knee to her. "Who are you, lady?" Hamar challenged her. "What brings you to this place?"

Post by Guest »

"I could ask the same of you young so`Bergliin. You are a shaper. Mould yourself first, before you seek to change others."

The woman replied. Her voice was strong. Strong enough to shake the hills and crack the flows. Distant thunder pealed in the distance.

Her crystalline gaze travelled over the assemblage and peered directly into the eyes of Skaali.

"Will you bring them this time? Will you show them the Ruud that is to be travelled? Or will you falter and fail like you have done before?"

"I will bring them my Queen."

The woman seemed in agreement with this and settled her attention on Hex.

"There is a great trial before you. But fear not, you will have what you need to succeed. In all things, remember my purpose. The tribes will be forever altered by what is to come, so hold true."

The woman gazed at each again in turn, watching, waiting.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"I thought it was you or your Ruud that was to mold me, my Queen." Hamar stated simply. "If I had the power to mold myself, what use is this journey?" The question was an honest one, naive even in the face of his Goddess. Yet Hamar asked it anyway. If she had marked him for a lifetime of power, madness, glory and death then he had no fear of being struck down by her now.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked to her cousin as if it was the last time she was going to see him. The Queen could wait till the earth cracked for all this fool cared. Hex controlled her mailed fist from smacking the boy across the head.

"The land changes with each snow flake and yet remains the same. To see a new thing born when none is expected is a good thing for it reminds us of that which was and yet that which could be. As I walk I leave foot steps in an unwavering path of devotion to you and the land. I prepare each day for the next and trust that which is inside me to guide me true. I shall not waver for I wish to see the dawn of a new era upon this land. I have journeyed long to see you, I hope we will meet again while I still draw breath."

Hex curtsied with her head and then stood tall and strong looking directly at the goddess she had sought for so long. She wanted to take in each and every moment to capture this moment into her mind burn by burn.
~

Post by Guest »

The woman stood serenely,blinking and unwavering. There was no effort to stay warm in the thin, filmy dress. She stood barefoot in the snow as if were a warm summer's day.

There was no answer to Hamar's question, and she continued on as if he'd never uttered a word.

"One is coming. She is the first of the last. She has been given the gjof. For the warrior, war. For the shaper, bending. And for the Runemaker, a mark that will change all other marks before and since."

The woman went grimly silent.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

"She is the first of the last."...

Hex's mind moved like a rabbit being chased by a fox. And that means what exactly?...

Hex was not here to question but to obey and learn.

"As we have come together so shall we join with this woman and complete the trial that is before us. We shall travel the Ruud, we shall be molded and we will wage war."

Hex stood tall and proud before her Queen. She had called Hex from the furthest shore of the Seven Isles and in that journey Hex had found herself, found her power and found that which she had always been looking for. Hex was a warrior priestess of the Queen, and the thought of going to war in her name filled her with joy. Hex could not help herself but to grin her wicked little grin at the thought of unleashing her true power and rage. She was going to start looking for things to practice upon along the way.

This meant too much to the young warrior and she was not going to let anyone or anything get in her way. She looked to those around her. Yes she needed them but they had better realize the weight of the task and fulfill their roles. Hex was not going to put up with much squawking on the trail or anywhere else for that matter.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar always assumed he'd feel awed in the presence of his goddess yet here he stood unimpressed. The Wise Ones that ruled in her name demanded more respect in there tones and actions. Would he have felt this way before starting on his Ruud? Had the quest and title changed him already?

Hex seemed interested only in war. The Ruud was a path to battle for her not wisdom. He would let her lead in matters of battle. Hamar was no warrior after all. In matters of the Ruud though, Hamar would follow his own instincts.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Sorcerers and mages often used gestures and incantations to weave their magicks, but there was no sign of this from the woman as something began to happen. The hairs on the backs of their necks began to stand on edge as a glittering sparkle began to appear in the snow at the woman's feet. A small star of white light began to grow and grow until it was blinding and seemed to block out all other light before them.

Then, as quickly as it came, it fell away, leaving the form of a young woman, a slave of another clan.

"The first of the last..." Skaali whispered.

OOC: Please welcome Lori.

Post by Guest »

Lori lay cocooned in darkness, safe, and warm. Until chinks of light began to force their way under her eyelids, growing brighter and brighter until she was forced to open them.

Snow. She was lying curled up on an expanse of snow. But...I was...down there...in the dark....and now I'm here....how??

And what's more she was not alone. With a start she saw that she was surrounded, and scrambled to her feet, looking about her with wide, frightened eyes.

"The first of the last.." Skaali whispered

Yes....that was what she had called Lori...down under the snow. Her mind was whirling again...it was becoming a common feeling but it was still no less disconcerting. The young slave didn't know what to say. So she said nothing, and waited for one of these strangers to introduce themselves.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Welcome Lori!

Sorry I am a little unclear, is Ijskoningin gone, replaced by Lori?

IC:

Hex took a deep breath as Skaali spoke.

"...is a slave girl."

Hex shook her head slowly from side to side.

"They have spoken that with each foot we put in-front of the other on the path that we are to walk, so shall the path of all of Trothgard be forever changed. You are the first of the last, there shall be others then. You and only you have the gjof. It brings something for each of us to aid us in the task we have been given. We each have a role to fulfill and only together can we do this. I am Hex. Hex da`Bergliin, I have been called The Warrior"

Hex then indicated to Hamar and Skaali in turn.

"This is Hamar so`Bergliin, the Shaper and Skaali, the Runemaker. Come girl you are no one's slave here, what is your name?
~

Post by Guest »

The warrior, the shaper, and the chronicler....that's what she told me....so, these are to be my companions....

It was rare for Lori not to feel somewhat inferior to those around her, but Hex's words instilled a feeling of equality in the young slave. It was nice to feel that she mattered just as much as anyone else here, even though she found the circumstances undeniably confusing and not a little terrifying. Nevertheless, Hex's welcome helped her find her voice.

"Thank you, Hex da'Bergliin, I am glad to meet you. All of you" she nodded to Hamar and Skaali, smiling. "I am Lori ve'Margeir. I hope that we can help each other to find the strength we need for whatever task lies ahead of us."

"I confess there is much I do not know...or at least, much that I do not understand, " Lori paused, feeling out of her depth "but... you say that we are to change Trothgard, and I will do what I can for the homeland that I love. Although I must tell you, I have no idea of what lies ahead for us, my coming here has been...unexpected to say the least." She smiled ruefully.

"What about you?" She asked, her eyes scanning from one face to the next. "How came you to walk this path?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked into the eyes of the young girl. Young girl? When did I get so old?

Hex smiled.

"Well spoken Lori ve'Margeir. I left Trothgard to sell my skills as a mercenary and bodyguard. One day I felt an impulse to board a ship set for unknown destinations. While on that ship I felt the call of my Queen, beaconing me home. From the moment I set foot back on the soil of my homeland, I have felt that something is wrong. I followed my instincts and have become one with my land and my queen. I have become a Warrior Priestess. I do my queens bidding and shall defend Trothgard from its enemies, both from outside and within. For now we walk this Ruud to the wall of death to aid the Queen in holding back the darkness of evil. She has shown me this vision."

Hex paused and looked at Lori.

"When we fulfill this task, and if we live, I plan to return to the settlements and forever change us, the people, in the way we live, the way we see ourselves. I plan to take us both backwards and forwards at the same time."
~

Post by Guest »

As Hex spoke, Lori felt a rush of admiration. This woman had voyaged to far flung places, had (judging by the several still visible battle scars) been no stranger to fighting, and had been chosen to defend Trothgard by the Ice Queen no less.

Lori thought back to her own brief meeting with the Ice Queen. Had she too been chosen? And if so, why?

What on Tazlure do I possibly have to offer? I can do what I'm told to do...most of the time...and I make a tasty rabbit stew...somehow I don't think that'll be much use at fending off the powers of evil. All the while, she wondered just how much Mother Eirrin had known about all this.

It was hugely tempting to let herself be consumed by these insecurities, but there was something in this warrior woman's eyes that told her she must be strong. Suddenly she saw again the face of Eirrin, arms stretced out to her sides, weaving whatever magic it was she had bestowed on Lori, and again she felt oddly empowered, and purposeful. Instead of speaking of her fear, her voice burst forth with questions.

"What is the nature of this...evil? Where must we journey to reach the wall of death? And...how do you propose to change the opinions of those of the settlements?....They can be mighty stubborn when they want to be...." Lori stopped and laughed suddenly, her eyes sparkling "I'm sorry...I'm told I always ask too many questions...it infuriates those in my clan."

"I too have met with the Queen. I'm not really sure what happened, but I am sure it was she who transported me here, to you. She...she told me that we four are to change the old, and birth the new...it's just...I'm not sure I know how. But, I will help you in any way I can, together we will be stronger, of that I am certain," she finished in a rush, unused to speaking at length to those who weren't slaves, and certainly not to strangers. She hoped Hex and the others wouldn't think her too bold, or too naive with her fountain of questions.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex stood and listened intently to Lori. Hex was getting better at reading people and she liked what she saw in the woman standing before her.

How oppressive the past weighs on the shoulders of the present. Time and time again I see youth full of self doubt and lacking the spark and yet with a few words and encouragement the spark of life glows bright and true strength is shown...

Hex weighed her thoughts and Lori's words.

"We are to go over the mountains to the wall. There the Queen holds back that evil which defines the very word."

Hex's mind swirled in the image of her creating little flakes of death in a storm. The image her Queen had given her.

"Yes, the words you speak are true. Those in the settlements are lost in a place between the past and the future. By deed and word we shall show them that this time has past and a new has begun. A new way that will shake our people to their very core."

Hex paused and looked into Lori's eyes.

"You bring the giof and you give yourself to the Queen as you were chosen by her. What more could a woman do?"
~
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"I know how you feel, Lori." Hamar said gently. "I too was pulled from the life I knew into a destiny about I know little and feel prepared for even less." He smirked. "But I do not doubt that this is my destiny. If we are not ready now, trust that we will be by walking the path before us. Welcome to the Ruud."

Post by Guest »

It was an absurd situation. She knew that the task ahead of them was difficult and dangerous; filled with evil and terror, and yet, Lori couldn't help smiling. These people really didn't care that she was a slave. They spoke to her as they spoke to each other. This sort of... acceptance , simple as it was, was something she had often dreamed about for many yahren, and it made her feel less afraid.

"We must all do our best to fulfill the tasks that are required of us", she said softly, before turning to the last member of the group who had remained silent. "And you...Skaali, I have heard you called the 'runemaker' and the 'chronicler', and I am afraid that both are titles I don't really understand....my position in the settlements gives me no contact with runes I'm afraid". She paused, choosing her next words carefully, not wanting to offend he who was still a stranger to her. "What is it that you bring to this quest?"

Return to “Trothgard Archive”