North by North West. The hunt for the Witch.

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

North by North West. The hunt for the Witch.

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

It was quiet, and still warm as the last of the fire's embers faded to ash. The fifteen foot by fifteen foot hut seemed larger now that her mother, and grandmother were gone.

Eyrekra gathered the last of the things she would need before heading out to find the Witch. A small metal pot, two wool blankets, and a half pound of dried meat. Eyrekra only packed one change of clothes to lighten her load.

Celia, and Agenta (Eyrekra's mother and grandmother), headed South for Rimmerhold a few flickers before sunrise.

Eyrekra cursed her mother, as she finished packing the last of her items. Her mother had let her sleep late, so late that she was going to be stating out two full marks after sunrise.

She stood outside breathing in the clean, crisp, air, and setting her sights on Sjovolkor.

The air smelled sweeter today, it smelled like freedom. Freedom from four yahrens of constant training. Freedom from four yahrens of her mother's constant criticism. Freedom from four yahrens of her grandmother's constant interference, and advice. Mostly freedom from that cold, cramped, and crummy little hut.

Eyrekra turned around to look at the hunting hut. With a single tear on her cheek, and a heavy sigh, Eyrekra turned North to face her destiny, fully knowing that she was going to miss that cold,cramped, and crummy little hut.

Cold is the heart.
Clear is the mind.
Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Snow.

Endless, trackless snow in every direction.

Out in the white wastes of the Juund, there were boulders and patches of rock as big as keeps and castles, but the snow covered them as well. There were sentinel trees as tall as fifty men, but the snow covered them as well.

But after three entire days of unending white, at the very edge of Eyrekra's vision, there was finally something else not covered in snow.

It was a man, a man walking towards her. His snowshoes were thick and wide. His fur hood deep enough to obscure his face. His thick skin coat veiled what manner of man wore it.

He soldiered on, as he marched towards her.
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Snow endless snow. Eyrekra rationed the little meat she had, because the hunting for the last three days had produced no food to speak of. She used her little pot to melt snow so at least she still had water. Eyrekra used the crags in the rocks for shelter, when she could not find an empty cave or a hallow log. Her legs were tired, the snow here was deep, deeper then any she had walked through before.

Now from out of the snow a man was marching straight at her. Her mind quickly debated whether of not to talk to him. Eyrekra decided that the only way to get answers was to ask questions. Eyrekra stopped walking. Took a firm but relaxed grip on her spear.

"Pardon me sir could you spare of few flickers of your time?"

Cold is the heart.
Clear is the mind.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Had she not spoken, he might have walked straight past her as if she were a part of the landscape. When he heard her voice, he stopped. A fur gloved hand reached up to pull back his hood with agonizing slowness.

It revealed the face of a young woman, blonde and fair skinned. She looked surprised that anyone would be out here.

"A few flickers is all the Juund needs to to turn your blood to ice." She replied in a somewhat cautionary manner.

The woman's eyes traveled around Eyrekra's face, and ultimately to the bead in her hair that marked her as a member of the Waelkyrige clan.

The young woman smiled then, and further tugged at her hood to reveal a bead in her own blond tresses. The square bead had an unblinking eye on each facet, and more importantly, it was crafted from rich gold, a metal all but unknown to this part of Tazlure. Only one woman could wear a gold symbol of her clan, or from any clan for that matter.

The Kona.

Only this was not the Kona Eyrekra knew. The hair was similar, as were the features, but this woman was far younger, a bit rounder of face and perhaps too easy to smile. This had to be her daughter.

Aesa da'Yrsa. Daughter of the Kona.

"Speak daughter of the Waelkyrige. I am Aesa. What is your name, and how is it that you are so far from home."
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

A look of shock, then recognition flashed across Eyerkra face. Her hand slid down her spear, as she fell to one knee.

"Forgive me my lady, I had no news of your return." "I am Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige, daughter of Celia da' Waelkyrige, and grand-daughter of Agenta da' Waelkyrige."

"As for the reason that I journey so far from home, I seek The Witch of the North." "I wish to join her, and the two brave men that fight to lift this veil of darkness that has fallen over our lands."

"Believe me my lady when I say that a grave despair has gripped our lands, and people." "Rumor has it that Rimmerhold has fallen, and so has the..." Eyrekra chocked on the last of her words.

"My dear lady I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings, but reports state that your mother, The Kona has been killed by a man called Skaalyr."

Wishing that she could take back her words, Eyrekra paused for a burn then pressed on.

"My lady your people are scattered, and divided." "They need a leader, they need a symbol of faith, they need a reason to hope."

"My dear sweet lady your people need you."

Cold is the heart.
Clear is the mind.
Steady is the "Hand" of The Ice Queen.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Aesa's face betrayed no emotion from Eyrekra's words. The woman simply stared out into the white wastes and listened. She shifted her weight on her snowshoes and gripped her spear. Finally she turned her gaze back upon the other woman and spoke.

"I know a great deal about the Sorcerer Skaalyr, and what he's done. I also know that the people of Rimmerhold and all the north are facing the greatest threat they have ever known, and that madman has nothing to do with it."

A light burned in the Kona's eyes. The gleam of vengeance.

"One day he will be made to answer for his crimes. But right now, he might be the best chance we have to survive."

Aesa was lost in her thoughts for a moment before snapping herself out of it.

"The Witch of the North? I know not where our Queen is. I have not heard her voice in some time. Some say she died with my mother. Some say she hides in the cold wastes. Some say she is gathering her power to freeze Skaali's blood and shatter his delicate reign. No matter what she is doing, it won't stop me."

She cleared her throat.

"Let Skaalyr have Rimmerhold. His reign will be bloody, but short. He's a man given to too much passion, to much hatred. There are far better things to spill one's blood for. Are you ready Eyrekra daughter of Celia? Are your ready to fight for something more than just a trinket called a crown, and a chair called a throne? If you are, then prepare yourself. Ready your spear. Sharpen your knife. Steel your nerve and strengthen your will. The great battle is coming Eyrekra. The last battle. The downfall. Skaalyr knows it. The Queen knows it. I know it. When I return to Rimmerhold, it will be to fight our last battle. So ready yourself. This will not be about clan, or family or allegiance. This will be about life and death."
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Eyrekra watched, in shock, as Aesa spoke about the coming battle. With cold emotions, Asea spoke of the part they were going to play in it.

Yes she was ready, this is why she spent the last fours yahrens training. She tighten her grip on her spear as she rose to her feet.

"Yes my lady let us go, and put an end to this madness."

Eyrekra already knew that this was going to end in blood and death, and it did not matter to her whos' it would be.

Cold is the heart.
Clear is the mind.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Aesa smiled a sad smile. Like a caring parent smiles when a child learns the painful lesson that if you were told not to stick your hand into the fire, and you do it anyway, you must experience the pain of the burn for yourself, before you will understand.

"Go back to Rimmerhold. Tell them of what is to come. Help them prepare. I must finish my errand before I can return home."

There was a finality in her tone that would brook no argument.

"Go daughter." She said simply.

Aesa pulled her hood back up, and resumed her lonely march in the snow, leaving Eyrekra to watch her fade into the snowy wastes of the Juund.
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

ooc:
V this would be a go time to end this thread and pick it up in the Homecoming Thread.
ic:
Eyrekra was ready to travel. She saw the sad smile on Aesa's face. Eyrekra recognized that type of smile. It was that wait and see smile that came before the I told you so speech that her mother would give her after she had learn something the hard way.

Eyrekra tried to shack off the child like feeling that Aesa's sad little smile gave her. After all she was 20 yahrens old. She was a warrior, not a babe lost in the Junnd... or was she. Was there something she still did not understand? Something she was not being told because there was no real way to explain it to her. Something she would have to learn the hard way.

Eyrekra put on a smile of false understanding to show Aesa she was ready to travel the Juund, and ready to fight by her side, but then her heart dropped when Aesa ordered her to go and prepare Rimmerhold for the coming battle. Eyrekra was getting ready to argue the point, but the look on Aesa's face and the sternness of her voice reminded her that she was a warrior. A warrior who was sworn to obey orders. While Eyrekra was taking the time to think to herself Aesa was fading into the snowy wastes of the Junnd.

Anger flared up in Eyrekra soul as she started walking toward the city of Rimmerhold, and in a childish fit of rage she shouted out so that her voice would echo into the emptiness of the Junnd.

"YES MOTHER I WILL GO!!!!"

Cold is the heart.
Clear is the mind.
Steady is the "HAND" of the Ice Queen.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked and Skilled.

Will archive at a later date, but leaving it up now for reading enjoyment.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”