Icy Quest, part II: Travelling with the Guardian (Sam 19th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

As Ashilda settled into the relative warmth of the space between the selds and the rock wall, she listened in fascination to Hex's discourse. Of the many things she was coming to appreciate about her companion, one of the strongest was that she was a woman of deep and abiding faith. It was a little awe-inspiring, in spite of the fact that Ash was aquainted with several of the priestesses who served in the Temple - particularly the couple who were direct relations. Still, such devotion was a rare and precious thing, and the girl couldn't help feeling that Hex must surely be one touched by the Queen for some special purpose.

When the woman's orration ran down, she smiled and replied, "I must cofess to never having felt as strong a calling as you, but I do think I understand a little of what you mean. Ever since I was in Fronigtalle, I've felt a sense of... wrongness... a dischord in the world, if you like. I've felt drawn to explore it, and to do something about it if I can. I think my chances of that have improved since meeting you, though. I truly believe that our Queen must have chosen you for a task - likely this task - because she can see the strength of will behind your devotion to her. Myself, I will be content to play my own part, whatever that may be, and see our isle put to rights again."

Settling back more comfortably against the stone, she sipped at her tea in silence for a few flickers as she considered Hex's questions about the runes. Finally, she sighed and twisted her lips into a rueful grimace. "Sadly, I don't know even a fraction of what there is to know of the runes. I've spent a lot of my childhood listening quietly as my mother talked with the other runecrafters, and I've put together a lot of the theory from bits and pieces I heard this way, but I was always told that I would be given no formal training until after I passed my Rite. I tried practising myself a little, but..." She trailed off, then reached inside the neck of her tunic and pulled out a small piece of wood on a leather thong.

"This, I believe, is a protection rune," she explained, slipping the thong over her head and passing it to Hex. "I watched mother scribe it into an amulet similar to this one, so I tried to make my own. I'm not sure if it actually works or not - I never dared to show her and ask - but I'm still alive and pretty much unscathed, so who can tell? Apparently I can't scribe the rune for strong growth though." She chuckled a little self-consciously. "I tried that one once, too, but mother caught me at it and fair blistered my ears over trying to scribe runes without proper training. Then she told me that I was doing it wrong anyway, but wouldn't say what it was that was wrong." Her nose wrinkled in annnoyance at the memory, but her laugh was good-natured as she remembered the childhood incident.

Suddenly remembering something else, she leaned forward and pulled her bow from the sled. "This was a gift from my family just before I went off on my Rite. I'd never had much interest in hunting, so I didn't have weapons of my own. Mother gave me this bow, and my brother mad a quiver of arrows for me, so I could hunt my offerings. But see here, the bow has runes enhancing it." She held this out for inspection as well, and traced her finger over each one as she named it. "This one is for luck, this one for protection, this for courage, and this for good aim. I think I'll need them all before we're through."

Her eyes rested on the bow for a flicker longer, and when she spoke again it was in the slow, careful voice of someone turning a thought over in their mind while they speak it. "One of the things I learned from listening was that it's harder to scribe working runes into something crafted than into something natural. That's why my amulet is made from a piece of wood I found near a tree that had blown over a in a storm. It was broken off naturally, and even had a natural ridge so I could secure the thong without needing to drill it, so I felt it had the best chance of working. When you get better at scribing runes, you can learn to scribe them on worked objects. I guess you'd build it up slowly: instead of deadfall, you'd cut a piece of wood from a tree and scribe into that; then you could cut a piece and shape into into something nice before scribing it; and so on. So to scribe runes into something like a bow must be really difficult, because I've watched bows being made and a good bow like this has a lot of work go into it." She fell silent, looking at her weapon with new appreciation.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex leaned over and put her arm around the shoulder of Ashilda. The woman seemed to have been denied her path in life because of what was happening in the land. She too feels the draw, she was chosen.

"Come now, the passing of the ritual and the instruction of the elders is but one path. Firstly though take pride and comfort in the fact that She has deemed you powerful or important enough to have called to you when she passed over so many. That is an important event and one that should not be taken lightly. Trothgard is going through something and we are going to determine what that is. Now about these runes, do you feel the power of the runes in your bow? Is there a flow or feeling to the runes? I know when I hold and use a weapon that has the runs it feels different than from one that does not have any runes. Can you feel the subtleties of the runes? and if so can you feel your own rune?"

Hex paused and tended the fire and the gruel, leaving Ashilda to think for a few burns.

"In time we have all learned from our parents and our elders, but we have also learned from ourselves. One of the things I belive that we all need to do is learn the way of the Ice Queen. It is from her that we are able to glean our powers, and if I am not mistaken, as I may be, but I believe that it is also she who gives power to the crystal. This is her land and that is her rock. Given that I ask you two things, can you tell me the history of the runes? and in your runes do you feel her? "

Hex handed Ashilda a bowl of gruel and so me hard bread. The over hang was doing a good job of keeping the snow off them, more blowing than falling. It also allowed them to look out over their trail. In the mountains it was wise to keep an eye out.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda leaned into the embrace, taking comfort and strength from the woman's confidence. It was true, she had felt compelled to return to the mountains even after being offered a reason to return to the safety and security of Rimehold. Perhaps it was a call from the Goddess... Perhaps she was truly meant to be here. That thought gave her comfort as well, and she smiled her thanks.

Settling back with her tea, she replied, "Yes, I do feel the power in the bow. It fairly hums with life under my fingers at times. It took a while to learn to ignore it when I'm trying to shoot, but it feels natural now." She looked at her little amulet. "I'd never felt much of power in it," she mused. "I was never sure if that meant that it wasn't magical, or just that it wasn't very strong. Even now, I'd be reluctant to discard it. It may not be doing any good, but who can tell? It certainly hasn't brought me any harm." She shrugged and gave Hex a small grin as she slipped the thong back around her neck and dropped the amulet inside her clothes.

Accepting the bowl of gruel, she considered the question. "I'm not sure the exact history of the runes," she said at last. "It is generally accepted that they are another gift from the Ice Queen to her people, though whether the runes themselves came directly from her or whether she simply was the one who brought them to Trothgard and taught us to harness their power is uncertain. There are tales which suggest both options, and who among us can say yea or nay? All tales are embellished over time, even histories, making them easier to remember and more interesting to listen to. I guess that the real truth of any matter is lost by now, save perhaps if one were to dare ask the Goddess herself." Her lips quirked in amusement at the thought of coming face to face with the isle's patron for the purpose of asking such a frivilous question.

Glancing back at the bow, she continued, "I think the thing I feel most when I hold my bow is a mother's love and protection - I feel as though there is someone watching me and guiding me as I take aim, like a second hand keeping mine steady on the string. I had always considered that this was because it was my mother who scribed the runes; that she had put her care and concern for me into the scribing. Now that you mention it, though, I'd have to say it could as likely be the power of the Ice Queen I feel. She is reputed to have a care for her people, even if it's sometimes hard to see it when there's a blizzard."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian approached the two talking lady warriors, his mouth dripping with blood, that he rubbed away with the back of his paw. He had a satisfied grin on his face as he threw away the carcas of a small bird. "The night will be cold," he noted sagely with his growling accent, "therrrre is a storrrrrrrrm in the wind. We come closerrrr to herrr angerrr." For a moment he stared into the small fire, forelorn "We have use of a shaman, but he is not herrrre to do herrr biding. We must go on alone."

The night prooved the white haired creature right, and the snow blew through their camp continually, leaving them only with the small warm circle around the fire, that barely burned because of the wet wood.

The wind lay down halfway morningtide, leaving the mountains once again pristine white, and without any tracks. Picking up a stick the Guardian walked up front, poking in the snow to see if the route was safe.

At late tradetide the Guardian stopped, freezing on his spot, before quickly croaching on his knees, motioning for them to do the same. "Up ahead," he whispered. In the valley below them they could see a figure walking with a large staff. He was wearing white robes, which seemed altogether fitting for this environment, but not very warm.

OOC: my apologies for the interruption in the conversation, but I've been promising the event for some time now ;)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was confused by the Guardian, Why mention the Shaman if it will be no use to us? Or will it? bewildered Hex shrugged her shoulders and moved forward once again, following her furry friend.

The appearance of the Robed Man caused many feelings to rush through Hex, none of them good. Hex lay in the snow for a moment studying this man. The man must be quite powerful to walk this land and feel no affect of the wind or cold. Is this the source of the Ice Queens anger and pain? This man? Hex may be bold but she is not known for being stupid.

In a quit voice she whispered to her two comrades..."This must be a man of power if I am to understand that he is the source of pain." Hex sat for a moment and thought over her options. Fear never entered her mind, she could feel the touch of the Ice Queen and this gave her comfort. The Guardian spoke of nothing more and she assumed that if he had something to say then he would have said it. She only glanced at Ashilda but she assumed that the girl would be beside herself with fear. What is her role here?.

Again under her breath, "I will go down and greet this strange man, let us see and gather what information we can, sitting here will only get us cold and most likely we will make the wrong assumptions. If he is all powerful then let us fear him not for there is no point in it. The Ice Queen shall hold me in the palm of her hand shall I die. Ashilda, you may not have completed your rite of passage but in my eyes you are a woman. As a woman I govern you to make your own choice in this matter. Accompany me down the slope or observe from here, the choice is yours, either way, walk in the beauty of the Ice Queen dear child. I am tired of whispering, it is not becoming of me."

With that Hex stood up and walked boldly down to greet this strange man in her land. Poking with her pole arm in front of her to assure a safe decent, Hex wished to look like a woman who at least had it under control to walk down the slope. Who is this man who walks before me? Why does the Guardian fear him? Do I truly walk to my death? Can this single man be such a source of pain upon my land? For in her mind, indeed it was her land, she was a woman of her queen and this was the queen's land. She felt the queen's breath around her as she descended the slope. Now hex, lets see if you remember how to be polite...etiquette and courtesy I think they call it...
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda dropped to the ground beside her companions and looked at the scene below with incredulity. Shaking her head, she contemplated what sort of fool would choose to walk in a land like Trothgard without the protection of layers of leather and fur to ward off the chill. It wasn't until Hex mentioned his being a 'man of power' that the idea of a more sinister reason than insanity entered her head. Now she felt a chill that had nothing to do with the cold that came from lying in the snow.

If only mother had taught me the runes earlier, she thought frantically. I am so unprepared for this! How can we fight magick when we have none? She forced her skittering thoughts under her control and examined the situation again as Hex spoke of her intentions. Perhaps there was a way...

The young woman fairly glowed with pleasure as Hex declared her a woman and gave her the choice to accompany her or remain in hiding. Keeping her voice low, she replied quickly, "I will follow you, but at a distance. If he means to attack, let us not make it easy for him to get both of us at once. May the Ice Queen watch you and guide you, my friend." She wished she had time for more, to tell Hex how much the woman's regard meant to her, but the warrior was already rising and moving forward down the slope. Ashilda waited a few moments to give her time to get at least part way down, then rose herself and started forward.

She held her bow in one hand - it wasn't at the ready, and there was no arrow to the string, but her free hand hovered near the quiver at her belt so that she could draw quickly if needed. She gave a silent thanks to her brother for making her practise the technique of rapidly drawing and firing, even though she hadn't had time to become truly proficient at it yet. At the very least, however, she knew that she could get the arrow going roughly in the direction she wanted it. Even if it didn't hit anything, it might be enough of a distraction to foil an attack.

It would have been nice to have something to use to prod the ground in front of her as Hex was doing. She didn't dare use the bow for fear of perishing the string with the damp and settled instead for following as closely as she could to the path the other woman had taken. That much, she knew, was fairly safe. Especially since I'll wager that I weight less than a muscled warrior with a big stick, she added to herself with a silent chuckle. She kept her eyes firmly on the robed man as she descended, although they did occasionally flick to the ground and back as she checked her footing - something that was second nature to anyone growing up in that ice-bound land. In the back of her mind, she wondered idly what the Guardian was doing.

OOC: Sorry for the delay - Dad went into hospital for a bit, so I haven't had much of a chance to be around much. Everything's okay now, though. :)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: No worries, glad to hear everything is ok. :)
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian reached out for Hex but he was too late. The warriorlady was already on her way down, approaching the man in the white robe. He stood still when he noticed her, freezing for a few flickers before making some hasty gestures with his hands, and then kissing an amulet in the shape of an eye. He raised his staff, holding out as if to ward off the approach of Hex.

"No further, you filthy pagan. You will not stop me," the robed man hissed.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Still alive! Woohoo! :)

Hex stopped dead in her tracks. She knew the man had done something but she was unsure what. She knew that he had done something with an amulet, and that most likely meant rune power or at least a power of some sort. Pagen? What is this man muttering about?

Hex sensed that the Guardian disapproved of her tactics, but what else would they do? Follow this man for how long and then what? Drop snow on him? No, lets find out exactly what is going on and then try to deal with it.

My Queen, you have guided me in the past and I ask for your guidance now in this moment. If you hear me hear my call. I oppose that which brings you pain and I seek your help. Guide me in this moment for I feel all the weight of the mountain upon me.

Hex concluded her silent prayer to the Ice Queen and cocked her head to one side. Leaning on her pole arm...

"Hi, I have no idea what you meant by Filthy pagen but I do not know what I am stoping you from. You are obviously a man of power, and I am no fool. A man who can walk the land without feeling the cold is a strange sight indeed. You sound as if you have been opposed or that you will be opposed. Who opposes you and why? Do you drink tea? Perhaps we can be civil and discuss this over tea. Humm?"

Hex stood in a relaxed pose, waiting, for what she did not know. She tried to gain strength from the land itself, the air the cold. This was her queen's land and here she was power. She could feel the power all around her and she tried to leech that power to use as her own. Studding the man she looked for a weakness, and weakness to let her know the man could be met on a common ground. She hoped the man could bleed. She let the cold air roll into her lungs, attuning herself to the rythem of the land.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: As agreed upon we'll continue with Ashilda da'Svafa as a NPC until such time as she shows up again :)
Hex, an interesting turn of events. I will take your skill list into account for this episode.

IC: As Hex reached out around her, taking in the marvelous power of the Ice Queen, her homeland, the beat of the Earth itself and everything wrecked upon it by the Father it was as if she could see something tangible swirling, vague white cloudy whisps as if there was a mist coming, just beyond her reach, pulsing with light. Somehow the pulsating mist, only visible when she half closed her eyes and stayed in tune, did not reach the man in the robe, who hissed even louder as he too seemed to be aware of this power.

"My Lord," the man called out, holding up his hands to the sky "You are the One, and only One. I pray thee, assist thy humble son in teaching this pagans not to call on entities that are in truth of the Nether. Let thy son spread the word of thy Power, Oh Glorious One." As the man called out to his god Hex could see something surrounding him, strangely alight, yet tinged with red and dark touches.

It was only a flicker before suddenly the white robed man brought his hands down, reaching out to Hex with a menacing gesture. Thunder broke in the sky and a flash of lightening struck down in the snow on the place where Hex had stood.

Hex felt the wind swirling around her just as she felt the burn of the lightening shaft, and the smell of burned hair. When she opened her eyes she was just a few feet from the place where lightening had struck, the wind having blown he off her feet. In the distance a white robed figure was running.

An angry howl sounded and faster than one would have assumed possible for such a large rough creature the Guardian was chasing down the mountain, running past Hex to give chase.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex lie there dazed in the snow looking up a the sky. What is that smell? Burning rope? Wait just a flicker, that man did something...what did he do? My lord the One? Is there a second man about? A wizard? The One?

The image of the lighting caused Hex to reflect a moment. It was not the lightning that caused her to reflect but rather the mist that came, the mist that she was attuned to. She came and she came for me. It was she that pulled me from the bolt that this man called. I saw his power, I saw him fail. My Queen is not physical here, she is far and cannot break this mans protective spell, but I am here. I am right here.

Hex brought herself out of the snow and gathered up her pole arm. Shaking the snow from her head and looking at some of the burned hairs, Hex gathered herself and looked out at the Guardian in his rage chasing after the un-named man. Maybe this man knows now that he is in the Queen's country and that whom ever or what ever this man called upon is weaker that the Queen. Poor man, you are weaker are you not?

As Hex started to trot after the man, and by default the Guardian, images of enraged women storming beaches flashed into her mind. Those images were replaced by the fleet at sea, the cold wind whipping the mist of the mountains, the crack of the ice when it smashed upon shore during a storm, and other such images of Trothgards power. Then Hex started to chuckle.

Hex let her self go to the mist and opened herself to it, drinking in the essesnce of the power that lied all about her. My Queen, you are far from here and yet I feel you all around me. I feel the rhythm within the Earth and your touch upon the wind. come my Queen, come into me and and place your wrath upon this foul presence upon this land. Come into me and give me the strength of the mountain, the speed of the stag and the heart of the wolf. Let us blind this mans path with winter's breath and cull him like the disease he is. I feel his disruption and I go now to kill this man for you. I will be your sword of ice, your wind of death, I will be your Winter Wolf of vengence.

The image of tearing this man limb from limb and eating his flesh made Hex feel good inside, it filled her with strength, the strength of a queen. Hex let loose a howling laughter, a wicked laugh, the laugh of a wolf pack chasing down their prey.

Hex then broke into a dead, laughing wickedly all the way.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

As Hex ran further down into the valley, following the Guardian, Ashilda came out of her hiding place and followed them, too far behind to help them at this moment.

The robed man had the advantage on them. He had started earlier and he seemed to know the way. For a moment he disappered behind a rock. The Guardian stopped at the rock and Hex could hear his heavy breathing as she came up next to him. "Look Daughterrrrrr of the Ice. Look therrrrrrrre."

Down in the small valley, that was snowcovered, stood a wooden construction. It was vaguely familiar to Hex, even at this distance. While larger than anything she ever saw, and with more intricate details, this construction looked like... a ship!

The white robed man was making his way towards the ship, calling out to the people gathering there.
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: I'm back. Sorry, computer dropped out again. I'm currently counting the days until I get my new one. It's on order, but until then I'm just desperately trying to keep my current machine patched together enough to run. *sigh*

IC:
Ashilda had watched in confusion as the robed man called on someone he called "The One", as if that someone would help him. It almost sounds like he's called to... She frowned. Was there a deity in one of the southern lands called "The One"? She couldn't remember hearing of such in the few stories from outside Trothgard she had heard, but that didn't mean there wasn't one. The words and tone made him sounds just like a rather arrogant priestess. Although I'm sure that the Queen would never permit a priestess to get quite so full of herself, she thought smugly.

She had no time to dwell further on the situation, however, as the wind picked up abruptly and the sharpness in the air gave her a split-second's warning of the impending lightning-strike. She was in a more sheltered spot than Hex, not having moved so far down the slope, and so managed to keep her footing. Still, she could do little else and knew with certainty that trying to fire an arrow in this gale would be useless. Instead she simply braced herself as best should could and kept one hand over the top of her quiver to keep from losing any of the precious shafts to the wind's greedy clutches.

Her concentration being mainly taken up by staying upright, she was caught by surprise when the man turned and fled. A further surprise was the burst of activity from the Guardian as he set off in pursuit. Hex was up and after him in an instant, but Ashilda paused to think. I couldn't catch them, not with the headstart they have and the speed that the Guardian runs. And to be caught out in the mountains with no gear is sheer foolhardiness. Maybe we are working to help the Goddess, and maybe she is watching over us, but I think she'd prefer that we helped ourselves instead or relying on her good graces. Especially if she has concerns of her own. With that thought, she turned and ran back up the slope to where they had left the dogs. They were still harnessed and ready, although a couple had flopped down into the snow and others were snifing about as much as they could within the restraints of the harness.

Giving everything a cursory check, she climbed onto her sled and managed to get both teams moving. She knew she'd probably have to stop every so often and bring them together again if they started to drift apart, and possibly even have to spend some time riding in the second sled, but she was sure that she could get both teams on the trail of her companions.

All she hoped was that she had made the right decision and wouldn't arrive to find them under attack by strange, arrogant priests.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex squatted down beside the Guardian and looked out to where he pointed. She was full of anger, verging on bloodlust as she looked down upon the valley. Her mind seemed to slow down and move in slow motion as she observed the structure within the valley. That is a nice ship…ship…there is a ship in the valley…a very big ship…how did a ship…. It was enough to give Hex a small head ache. The very fact that the man had run from her could mean several things. It could mean that he was ‘discovered’ and is now going to do something. It could mean that he was afraid for his life at the first sight of a woman of Trothgard or perhaps he realized that the Ice Queen is more powerful than this One wizard of his and he fled for his life.

Or, Hex thought to herself, there is something more going on here than I can wrap my head about. Hex heard Ashilda working the dogs and she knew that she would be there sooner than later and that was a good thing for Hex needed more brain power then she had at the moment.

Deep inside Hex knew that this point in time was one of those moments where quick action and slow wit were not the correct course of action. She felt like a rowboat adrift in the raging ocean. Her life and perhaps many other lives may depend on what she does in the next few flicker, burns and tides.

All right girl, lets get this sorted out now. That ship did not get here by rowing or sail. That means that a magical or some other un-natural power brought it here. It is un-natural and abject upon Trothgard and it must be removed from this soil. A ship that size must have a large crew and the possibility of much more that I cannot see. I do not know why they are here. I can come up with three possibilities that could explain this. One, they are lost and need help. Two, they are here to invade us or plan to take some of this land for their own. Three, they are here to steal our resources, most notability our crystal. What does not make sense is why they are here, as in this valley. Oh my poor head. What power do they have that the Queen has no affect upon them? So, let us assume that they are hostile. I believe ‘filthy pagan’ was not meant to be friendly, and that lighting bolt was defiantly not nice. So that leaves us with destroying them, or making them leave. Finding the Ice Queen so that she can destroy them. If we are to do this our selves we will need all the women of Trothgard up here. These people have power, and me marching down there will mean my death. We may have some allies in the Guardian and his kind, but he came for our help so that tells me what I need to know there.

Hex pondered over her options as she observed the valley below waiting for Ashilda to catch up to them. She had to think and do the right thing here. She needed as much information as possible to make the right decision. While she waited and watched, Hex reached out for the power of the Queen. She brought herself into tune with the land and sought to see how the patterns were disturbed within the valley. While this one man could escape her wrath Hex wondered if they all could. If somehow she could use the Queen to smash that ship, sink it, burn it, an avalanche to bury it, to do something, anything to it. Then perhaps she would by time for what ever she needed to do.

Hex reached out for the power to feel what she could, to help her make that right decision.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Hex brought herself in meditation and through half closed eyes saw a pattern in the air. It was disturbing. All around the ship something was.... lacking. It missed a certain presence.

The Guardian was breathing heavily through his nose, yet somehow kept his noise down. "Danger, Daughterrrrrrrr, therrrrrre is clearrrrrrrrr and prrrrrrrrresent dangerrrrrrrrr ahead."
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda finally caught up to her companions, who were intently watching something further down the slope. Not wanting to make more noise than she could help, she pulled the sled she was riding to a halt, then leapt off and grabbed the harness of the accompanying sled to stop it also. It was an ungainly manouever, and she narrowly avoided having her feet go out from under her as she landed, but it seemed a better course of action than calling the halt command to the second team.

Moving up beside Hex just in time to catch the Guardian's soft words, she frowned and looked down at the scene they studied. Her breath caught in her throat for a moment as she studied the strange sturcture before her - doubly strange for its location and the fact that it existed here at all. She cursed under her breath, a phrase she had learned from Konstantin and which he would probably be reprimanded for teaching her. At the moment, however, it seemed an appropriate response.

The man they had chased was running towards the structure and yelling, surely a bad sign. Keeping her voice low, she commented, "He has friends there, I guess. Not good. What else have you seen since you arrived?" As an afterthought, she added, "I brought our supplies. At least we can go into this will all our available resources, such as they are."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked over at the Guardian and then at Ashilda. Speaking low...

"We have three things to accomplish here. The first is to warn the others back in the towns of the nature of this threat, but there is a question as to if they will believe us. Secondly we need to destroy that ship and kill everyone down there. That may be a little out of our reach at the moment unless you Ashilda, have a really big trick up your sleeve like being able to call down lightning. Thirdly, the Ice Queen's power seems interrupted by that ship so perhaps we can go and find her and find out why.”

I will let you think on that for a moment.

Hex then retuned to her meditate state and drew upon the power around her. She could see the power now and she could feel the power but could she use it? She let herself go and become one with the rhythms. Reaching out, she at first wanted to do something small, like make the wind blow some snow around. She had no idea, but at this time she needed to find out what she could do. Hex also while in her meditative state reached out directly to her queen. Can you see through my eyes? Can you see what is before you? Can you send me a message with your wishes?

Hex let the flickers and burns pass as she waited and tried her tasks.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Ice Queen did not speak to Hex, but as she found a small whirlwind play with her hair, covering it with snow, the Guardian slowly turned his head towards her, a grin spreading on his face "Yourrrrrrrrr a shaman, daughterrrrrrrrr of Ice. Why did you not say?"

OOC: Longer post coming up when you two jump into action ;)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex also smiled as the wind blew around her. Looking over to the Guardian Hex winked. She could feel the power all around her, and it felt beautiful.

"Someone just told me I was."

Hex looked back to Ashilda as she contemplated the actions. The Ice Queen did and did not send her a message and she thought she should include the girls opinion but make the final decision. She did not want the girl to feel the weight of having to make that decision on her shoulders.

"Ashilda, what you decide will be fine. I think that we should have one of us move to tell the others. I do want to see what happens here over the next few burns and if that changes our course of action. That ship is danger, and by default, so are those people. We should not remain here too long though as they know we are here."

Hex looked down into the valley to see what was transpiring with the people. The slow fire of anger burning in her stomach.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda had wracked her brain for ideas on how to proceed, feeling sure that there was something she could do if only she could think of it. She lacked any real skill with a weapon - it would be sheer foolhardiness to pretend otherwise in this situation, where it could get one or all of them seriously hurt of even killed. I won't think like that, she told herself resolutely. I have to believe that we're here because we can make a real difference. After all, the mountains are vast and it must surely have been more than chance that led to us all meeting up at this time and just happening to stumble across that strange man. The thought was not exactly comforting, but it at least renewed her sense of purpose.

As she looked down on the huge structure before them, she raised one hand to the amulet now safely back inside her shirt. It was habitual gesture, one that had always reassured her, but now it made her think about a new potential resource. Could I do it? she asked herself. In past times, she wouldn't even have considered asking the question, feeling confident that she could do it if only she was allowed to really try. Now, however, vanity was nothing more than a flimsy shield to hide behind. Such pretenses were counterproductive when the stakes were so high.

I know so little for sure... Mother said that I didn't write that rune for strong growth correctly, but she didn't say what I did wrong. So what if I do it wrong this time? She cursed silently, then pulled herself together. I'll try it anyway. This is important, and I'll go for something simpler. Maybe I could start a fire? I've seen the rune for fire often enough - it's scribed on the hearthstone at home. I've lain beside the hearth and traced that rune so often I could probably do it in my sleep! But what can I scribe it on? I could never make it work on that structure... I'll willingly admit that I'm not good enough yet to scribe on something so clearly unnatural...

She looked down at the scene before her with critical eyes. There's snow, I suppose... Nothing's more natural than snow fresh-laid by the Queen. But would the fire keep burning on snow with nothing to sustain it? And what purpose would it serve except to make them think we have more power than we really do and move to attack us quickly? She shook her head with irritation and cast about for another idea. The wooden structure itself quickly suggested itself as a target. I couldn't scribe into the boards, but why not a piece of deadfall placed near them? Fire's fire, after all, regardless of how it's started. I might even be able to pour something onto the boards to help the fire catch quicker... And if I prepare the deadfall here and set it to be triggered, we might even be able to place a few of them between the three of us! She was quite excited now, seeing the potential of such a plan, and it took her a few moments to realise that Hex had spoken to her and to replay the words in her head to get the meaning of them.

Nodding, she replied, "I agree that they are a danger. Something about all this is very wrong, and it may be connected somehow to what is happening in Fronigtalle, and in the rest of our land. I've been thinking, however, and I had an idea which might at least distract them for a bit, if not destroy them or drive them off.

"I told you before that I have no formal training in runescribing, but that I have managed to learn a few things on my own. One of the runes I know is the rune for fire, and I think I can scribe it so that the fire can be triggered with a word. I was thinking that if I were to make a few fire-runed pieces of wood, the three of us might be able to sneak down to that structure under the cover of darkness and set fire to it at a number of places - we wouldn't need to carry torches to give away our position, and it would be quicker to activate them than it would to try and light a fire with flint and steel once we got there. If we pull it off, we could keep them very very busy for a while, particularly if we poured some oil on those boards first. What do you think, Hex, Guardian? Is it worth a try?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex listened to Ashilda as she started to speak of her plan. Keeping one eye on the ship and one eye on the girl, Hex stated to break out a wicked grin the more she heard. Good girl..

“Your right Ashilda, we are here for a reason and we must do something. I for one have never been about running away and to do it here was just not feeling right. Now you say that you can scribe the rune of fire so that you can make it trigger with a word? That is what you said right?”

Hex looked over to the Guardian with a raised eye brow.

“Just where is this Shaman of yours and how many of there are you? Lots yes?”

Hex turned back to looking at the ship while speaking to Ashilda.

“All right my young friend; here is the plan as I see it. This ship is in a valley. We need to move to the point in the valley where we can get close enough for you to stick as many arrows as possible into that ship. I think that on those arrows is where the runes should be. We need as much of the ship as possible to burn at once so that they have a hard time putting it out. Now, that is a magic ship for it did not float here did it. We must be prepared for disappointment if it does not burn. The plan is a good one though. After we try all we really need to do is plan our escape route. Either we head straight back or lead them deeper into the mountains. I say deeper towards the other Guardians and the Ice Queen.”

Hex took a final look towards the ship to see what they were all about before she made her move towards the sleds and their point of attack.

Now what are they up too?
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda returned Hex's grin with one of her own, pleased that the warrior was agreeing to go along with it. Now I just need to make it work, she thought wryly. Careful not to let her voice rise in her excitement, she replied, "You and the Guardian would be best to plan our escape, and to find the best point of attack - I'll not deny that my knowledge of such things is almost non-existant. I need to scour the slopes a bit to find the materials I need, anyway. Can I leave you two to keep an eye on them and to move our gear to the best position? I'll stay nearby, and I'll take my bow, but I need to plan the carefully so that it has the best chance of working."

If Hex agreed, she would take her bow from the sled and move further away from the ridge before begining to look for some suitable pieces of deadfall that she could scribe into, and a suitable stike to use in the scribing. She had watched covertly whenever runescribers were preparing to use their skills, and she knew that there were certain rituals that could be used to make an object suitable for scribing if one was without a proper tool. She didn't know if she could remember the ritual perfectly, but she thought she knew enough of it to manage something. And we're trying to help the Goddess, she reminded herself. Perhaps she will guide my hands and mind so that I can accomplish this.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Guardian looked at Hex seriously "Overrrrrrrrr the mountains, daughterrrrr. I was send herrrrre, but my people doesn't get herrrrrre often." He focused again on the ship in the valley "Therrrrrrrre arrrrrre many morrrrrrre inside, daughterrrrrrrrr. What business do they have herrrrrrrre. This is like an attack of the White God. The one with the loud voice."

Ashilda felt reasonably confident as she prepared herself. Perhaps not everytying was going to be perfect but it was as if the wind was whispering to give it a try.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex moved towards the sleds and prepared the sleds for the escape. And slowly moved towards the point in the valley where the escape path would take them towards the Guardian’s people.

“They have no right to be here, so let us remind them of that. I know that there are many more inside, lets hope they stay there while the ship burns. This White God, do you mean the one we spoke with? He can die, I can feel it. I fear him not.”

Hex moved slow and careful towards the point as to not draw attention. In her mind she expected that they would not expect an attack from behind. She hoped she was right.

She keep herself focused and let her mind reach out for the power. She wanted to be in-tune to any flux of power. She really had no idea what she was supposed to do, but for Hex, she approached each task like it was a new drill with a weapon. Become familiar, understand and practice, practice and practice some more. This though was not a drill yard and far more then her pride rested on her actions. Even if she failed and was able to draw them deeper into the mountains than towards the settlements, she felt it would be a victory. The touch of power she did have reassured her that she had been correct about her path all along.

There was not enough time for her to find out as much as she wanted about these strange people. Perhaps if she were someone else she could have separated the robed man from the others and killed him alone. Then again, taking down the leader of a pack in front of them may cause a retreat. So many possibilities, so many angles, so little time.

Hex imagined the boat ablaze and the screams of the dieing lamenting to the Queen. A pride in the deeds of the past resonated deep within her. She would not shed a tear for any death she caused here. She also knew that there was a time to run and a time to fight but from here it seemed all or nothing. To run would mean all the way home so what would be the point?

Hex looked to the clouds in the sky and felt the snap the wind on her face. She could feel the Queen all around her and she could feel a growing connection to the Queen and growing power within her. She felt good just being here, she felt alive.

Battle was coming and the excitement was starting to build within her. If it all came down to the one man she had faced before, this time she would make no mistake, she would not hesitate to kill and spill his blood upon the snow.

She was glad to have Ashilda and the Guardian with her. They would help with the kill and feel the glory of victory for the Queen.

Hex spoke softly to the sky as to not tip her hand.

“Shine upon me my Queen, I go to battle for thee and I shall remove this blight form your land in your name. Lend me your strength for victory in battle. Feel pride as Trothgard enters battle with few against many, and not a thought of defeat on our mind.”

Tuning to her friends,

“I feel we shall get no better a position than this one. Let us strike from here and bring death to our enemy. Is there anything you wish to say before we strike? Ashilda, are the arrows ready?“
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda roughly kept pace with Hex and the Guardian as they circled the valley to find a better position, but her attention was focussed on the ground where she trod. She needed small pieces of wood, preferably long and slender. If she was to bind them to her arrows, they could not be something that would affect the flight too much. A careful search around the bases of some trees soon yielded a collection of suitable pieces that had been flaked off by either the winds or some animal searching for food.

She also found a slender twig that sat comfortably in her hand. Unsure whether it would be robust enough to serve as a scribing tool, she decided to give it a try anyway. If it shattered, she'd just have to find another one. Glancing up, she noticed her companions slowing and decided that they must have chosen a site. That makes this as good a place as any to work, then, she thought. Her hands were trembling slightly, although she found it difficult to know whether it was from excitement or fear.

She sank to the ground under the trees and laid her collection of bark out in front of her. Closing her eyes, she clasped both hands around the twig and emptied her mind, reaching for the meditative state she had achieved in Fronigtalle. This time, however, her prupose was different. Rather than stilling herself to listen for the voice of the Goddess, she would empty herself to allow the Ice Queen's power to fill her. Her lips moved with the words that were uttered only in her mind:

I know I stand before you, my Queen, untried, untested, and untrained. Forgive me if this displeases you, but grant me whatever aid you can so that we can rid our land of these interlopers. There is that about them that strikes a wrongness in this place, and it may be that they are at the root of the troubles that beset you and your creatures, or they may be only a side effect. Either way, they have no place here and I would call upon the cleansing power of fire to remove their blight. Let me carve the runes well and true, that we may, in some small way, be of service to you and to our land.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, the awareness that Hex was speaking to her registered. It was a minor distraction at this point, however, with her mind focused on her task.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”