Ursa: Guarding the Grounds (Chyril 22nd, ET)

Moderator: Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Ursa: Guarding the Grounds (Chyril 22nd, ET)

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It had been some time since The Collapse, and for the most part Valley Village was back to normal; or rather, as close to normal is it could be, what with the shift in circumstances. The wooden wall was definitely something new, and the Howling Forest was no longer safe. Cryer's Peak was full of evil creatures that attacked the training grounds nightly. Things were not so simple on Ursa Etheria any more -- no, and it was called Insula Ursa now. After 14 yahren of referring to it as Ursa Etheria, the new name would take some getting used to.

Xenovia had been dozing lazily under a tree, having finished her afternoon training and wandered off to explore as she always did. There wasn't much of the island that she hadn't seen by now, and more than once she'd gotten herself into trouble. These days, though, Xen could handle herself pretty well.

She slept leaned against the tree, her spear laid across her lap. Her form stood out sharply against the colors, her almost deathly white skin glaring against the black kanthar and sandals she wore. Her hair bore the same colors, and all in all she seemed completely absent of any pigment, save for a dark red in her lips. It was then that her eyes suddenly opened and she sat up abruptly. Ah, her eyes, shining golden in the coming darkness of the evening. Her head turned swiftly left, right, cocking itself slightly to the side. It took a moment for her to realize the time, as she breathed in deeply, before she suddenly leapt to her feet in a blur of motion, catching her spear. "I'm late!"

Off in a flash, Xen ran through the woods, her long legs stretching as far as they could with each fluid, leaping bound. She had a bad habit of being late, and tonight she had wanted to help guard the training grounds. Inwardly she cursed herself, guessing that she would probably be outwardly cursed as well.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"You're Late."

The hulking form of Kaern loomed over Xenovia as she made her way to the wall surrounding the village. Dusk was already upon them, fires were lit around the outside of the wall, providing an eery, flickering light on the large strip of open space separating the village from the outskirts of the woods.

Kaern was in charge of defending the village. Ever since the Cryers came and started randomly attacking the villagers and the occasional visitor which was let through at the Skymyst passage, he had been adamant about setting up fortifications surrounding the town. Even though the Council disapproved at first, realising how much timber it would take to erect a solid wall around the town, he won them over. "Analor would have wanted his people to be safe." he had said.

So many of the fallen trees, widely available after The Collapse, were taken and cut into poles for the wall, a strip was cleared around the village, providing more timber. Now a wall stood, two times a man's height. Guarded by a vicious bear and his men who pattroled along the outside and inside of the fence, stationary guards at the entrance on the road from Skymyst.

"You are late, and it's getting dark. You want to get killed by the Cryers, don't you?" Kaern sounded like he was really angry, but really he was worried. In his bear form his voice sounded even more gritty than usual, making his presence all the more demanding. None under his command dared question Kaern.

"You should thank the Mother, Oni taught you to run. Because before you get your wings sorted out, and you should pull another stunt like this, it won't be the Cryers you're running from." He peered into Xenovia's eyes, his dark eyes gazing into her golden orbs, which had already started to reflect the light of the moon shining weakly through the clouds, pupils wide. "You'll be on watch around the north end, now get cracking and pick a fire. I'll have someone come round to you in a few flickers so you can start your patrol. Now GO!"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"You're late."

Xenovia skidded to a halt as she heard the low rasp of Kaern's stern voice, chastising her with so few words and yet making her look sideways, guiltily. Kaern never did stop being intimidating. Even as she turned her head to gaze up at him, Xen's rapid breaths caught in her throat. He was so big! His hulking form almost blocked out the light of the moon. It was no wonder to her or anyone else that he was in charge here -- and many Cryers had learned of his power the hard way.

"You are late, and it's getting dark. You want to get killed by the Cryers, don't you?"

Shaking her head, Xen dared to steal a glance around. It seemed no fighting had occurred yet. Excellent, I haven't missed anything exciting. Then with an acute pang of guilt she realized that she had been irresponsible in more ways than one. She'd dozed off alone away from the village, slept late, and caused Kaern to be concerned. Had their been fighting, she would have felt awful.

Though she leaned easily on her spear, Xenovia's eyes were clearly repentant, betraying the apology that didn't fit in properly amongst Kaern's current words. His threat made her smile meekly, though the following command caused her to snap to attention (a rather abrupt and swift movement). "Yes, sir!"

She was off in a flash, running along gleefully. Already she had forgotten her guilt, in the light of his comment about getting her wings. How wonderful, to fly! Spreading her long arms like a bird and grinning like the young fool that she was, Xenovia made her way swiftly to the northern campfires, searching for anyone she might recognize. Obviously the situation bothered her very little; everyone knew the girl just loved to fight.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

She recognised everyone. Ofcourse she would. The village was small, the tribe one big family. She knew the faces of every man, woman and kit she ran across. Though at this hour, on the outside of the wall, she didn't see many. Most were in their tents and huts.
Who remained were Kaern's men and women. Strong hunters, fighters. Kanthrop chosen for their skill, aptitude and their animal instinct.

Against the Cryers it had only been instinct which saved many Kanthrop in the first tides after the Collapse. Many a man or woman would have fallen to the viciousness of the ghastly terrors which now stalked the Howling Forest, sending their terrifying cries out over the tortured woodland from the heights of Cryers' Peak, had it not been for the ties which bind the Kanthrop to their animal kin.
Petran, Kanthan of the earth, had been the first to encounter them, barely making it out of the forest with his life. A master in his own right, he lived where just as many fell to their ruthless attacks.

And here was Xenovia. Barely out of her kithood, standing on the verge of starting her Trials. The celebration had been spelderous, even though it had taken place within the walls, since the Festival Grounds had been lost to the Collapse. Others with her were initiated, and her Inner Animal surged within as it had before. Now she walked among the guardians of her tribe, with the orders to do what they did. Defend the tribe with her life.

As she almost airlifted herself past the outside wall she came upon a few of the Awakened kanthrop of the village. Teron and Silia, a falcon warper couple, had perched themselves on top of the wall and were gazing out over the fires. Unable to speak yet in their form as they were young still, they nodded at Xenovia as she skidded by. A next fire was empty, but she could see figures moving up ahead, coming this way. Not everyone warped for guard duty, and she could distinguish spears and bows in the flickering light of the next fire.
Last edited by Brytan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

One would have thought that Xenovia might feel jealous. Here were Kaern's chosen, standing guard over the village. They were stronger than she, no doubt. More experienced, and most of all, able to warp. She was simply Xen: fresh meat, only just recently initiated, and not even sure what animal she would change into. At least it will fly.

Teron and Silia did manage to awaken her jealousy, however, as she darted past them, throwing up her hand in a casual wave. She'd been ecstatic when she discovered their warped forms, and had nagged them for hours asking them questions about what it was like to fly. Luckily, now she was silent, eager for the fight and her chance to let out some of the boundless energy that coursed through her veins at all times.

It was the empty fire that she chose, hitting the 'brakes' and sliding to a halt next to it. The butt of her spear hit the ground with a soft thunk, and she eyed the spears and bows with some interest. All her senses were on full alert, and her golden eyes glinted in the light of the fire as they shifted their gaze toward the approaching figures, darting over the forms. She herself was still, save for the occasional slight turn of her head, though her muscles were tense, her heart thumping softly. No doubt one day her desire to fight would get her into trouble.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The approaching figures seemed to have stopped at the fire a bit ahead. It took a few burns before they continued towards her. As they came closed Xenovia could distinguish who they were. Two men, both dressed in the traditional Kanthar of the Kanthrop. One she knew as Culwago, who was known for his rebellious nature and another who seemed to run in his wake most of the time, known to her only as "Barky". His real name lost to her in the use of his nickname. Both of them carried weapons and were apparently on patrol duty as they passed her with little more than a look and a nod, Culwago's feline eyes glinting in the fire light.

She had heard of him. Culwago, the black panther. Had warped during The Collapse even before he had finished his trials. After that he had started considering himself special which resulted in a lot of arguments with his Kanthans and a great many of the tribe's elders. He never much dealt with kit. "Below his standing". Or so he deemed. Barky worshipped the ground he walked on, something equally frowned upon by the village elders.

They left her to her devices, doing their rounds while talking about everything and nothing, stopping within range then starting again out of earshot. Xenovia was sure she heard the word "brat" somewhere along the conversation.

The eveningtide progressed and the first few marks were uneventfull. The fire crackled and started to go down a bit when Xenovia could hear the flapping of wings behind her and then the well known voice of Oni Swifttalon;

"All's well at the front I presume?"

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

A visible scowl pulled Xenovia's lips downward as soon as she recognized Culwago. The boy severely irritated her, with his high-and-mighty attitude and his unearned superiority. Barky irritated her just as much, sniveling along in Culwago's shadow and looking up to him like a hero. He's just a show-off. One day I'll put him in his place. Her keen ears caught the word "brat" and it was only through her strength of will that she kept her feet firmly planted where they were. I'll do it too. I'll learn to warp before my trials are over and he'll see that he's not special. Standing taller, she narrowed her eyes at the woods. She would save this aggression and give it to the Cryers at the tip of her spear.

Even after they were gone Xen remained tense and irritated, shifting visibly as the light from the fire danced over her deathly pale skin, and when she heard the flapping of wings her muscles tightened and she gripped her spear harder. Oni's voice, however, disarmed her anger, and she turned sideways to smile back at her.

"Yes sir, no sign of the Cryers yet."
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: A quick note; Oni is a woman and your character knows this.

"Sir even? I see Kaern has really drilled you good, hasn't he?"

Oni's apparition was impressive as ever. In the dark her eyes shone brightly as any Falcon's would, her brown and grey deck of feathers offset against the bright white chest. A colour she wore in her human form as one of the few Kanthrop Xenovia knew. Oni had been her Kanthan for yahren, strict but kind as a teacher could be. Training her in human form Xenovia mostly knew Oni as the tall, slender woman in the bright white robe who walked around the isle as if she were grace herself. She was never cocky about it though, it was something that came to her naturally.

Now on patrol duty as the tribe's master scout she had nestled on the trunk of a tree just behind Xenovia, putting the impressive bird at eye level when sitting down.

"No, no Cryers yet. That's good I guess. But the darkness is only just now setting in and my eyes in the sky do only so much good now. You should be on your toes Xen, there is..."

Crack

"What was that?"

Oni turned her head to the side, peering towards one of the other fires.

"Hmm..."

She turned her attention back to Xenovia.

"I should be off, I need to change. Are you sure you're going to be ok? No matter how well you've been trained, the Cryers will tear you apart if you're not careful."

Subtlety was lost to many Kanthrop. They say things as they are or leave them be. Oni knew some of it, but she and the other Kanthans believed in teaching their kit the harsh realities of life rather than pampering them like Kaela tended to do.

----

Foolish children, they know not what they're up against. Still they choose to fight the night but never shall they know the truth. They are not worthy. Perhaps this one will be next...
Last edited by Brytan on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"Sir even? I see Kaern has really drilled you good, hasn't he?"

Xenovia laughed rather sheepishly, glancing up toward the sky. "Yes, well, it is hard not to be serious around him." As she turned to look back at Oni again, Xen couldn't help but find herself admiring her. In both her human and animal forms she was something to behold, and it was no secret that she herself aspired to be the same. Having speculated for some time on what sort of bird she might be, Xenovia had decided that she would probably be a falcon. Though somehow, that didn't sit right...

As Oni continued she took in a deep breath, smelling the human and animal forms alike, as well as the trees and the air thick with expectations. It swelled in her chest and made her that much more eager to fight.

She'd always been a flighty thing, and when the crack interrupted Oni, Xenovia reacted in a flash. Her right leg slid back and she leaned her weight back onto it, grasping her spear with both hands and swinging it forward so that it was parallel to the ground. Her eyes searched the forest rapidly, catching the firelight as they darted around. Once she realized there was no attack yet, Xen relaxed only slightly, her eyes still searching beyond the campfire. "I am always on my toes, Oni, and I will be fine. I promise not to be foolish." The smile could be heard in her voice. "Anyway, you've put too much work into me; I can't die now."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Had Oni been in human form, Xenovia was certain she would have smiled.

"How true. Take care of yourself Xen, I'll talk to you come morningtide, there's much to do for your trials to start."

And with that she was off, spreading her impressive wings and beating them a few times to attain lift, she hopped off the trunk and hovered a few moments above before swooping up over the wall and out of sight.

------

Kaern made his rounds on the southern side of the village a few marks after he had sent Xenovia to her station. "It's still quiet, hopefully the breach will not have an adverse impact on the village defenses." He knew the Cryers weren't the creatures to let opportunity go to waste. In his battles with them they had displayed an almost uncanny intellect, as if they were sentient or at least controlled by something sentient.

His keen ears detected movement just behind him.

"How is she doing?"

"She is there, and she seems up for the task. Though I am not certain this was a good idea Kaern." Oni replied, who had walked silently upto the bear and looked out over the fires, dressed in her white robes, her eyes shimmering in the blaze kept alight by a pair of trained guards.

"The Cryers are vicious, if she makes it through the night it will be a miracle."

The plan to leave a defensive gap, ordering most everyone to the southern side of the village save a few of the strongest had been a bold one. It wasn't common to force kit into their trials like this.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures Oni. You would agree that we need every hand to defend our kind when the time comes. The attacks have been getting more aggressive every passing tide and it is only a matter of time before they attempt an all out assault. We can't have children defending us, we need warriors."

The discussion replayed itself as it had several tides before.

"Ursa, I hope I'm right about her." Oni sighed, shaking her head as she walked back into the village.

-----

Crack

Xenovia heard another sound come from somewhere to the left and ahead of her, beyond the light of the fires. It was silent otherwise. Only a slight breeze disturbed the flames as they roared to keep shadow at bay. There was rustling in the bushes further ahead. A small animal maybe? Her eyes didn't see beyond the flames from where she was.

-----

Yes. This one will do...

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Though she desperately wanted to watch Oni fly, Xenovia did not let her guard down for a moment, her eyes darting to and fro. Something within her sensed danger, and her long fingers tightened around her spear. Her eyes could see nothing beyond the fire, but she searched still, her ears alert. Again the crack came, and she turned in its direction, her tall form stepping in front of the fire so that its light would not blind her. Her muscular frame outlined in the light of the fire, Xenovia strained to hear any further sounds, blinking the brightness from her eyes. Her spear remained at the ready as her eyes narrowed, a concentrated scowl on her dark red lips. Come on, then.

She had longed for this moment. Longed for a good fight. If she could survive the Cryers, she would be more than just a kit. Xen was sure of this -- and she longed for it. Ursa guide me, she prayed silently, though she wasn't afraid. Perhaps that was foolish. Help me defend the village, lend me your strength. All her muscles were tense as a spring, even as she softened her breathing and focused all her attention in the direction of the dark forest. Adrenaline rushed through her blood. It was almost time.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

This should be interesting...

The fire crackled behind her as Xenovia stepped forward out of the blinding light, it's gold and red wavering in the breeze. There was no sound but the rustling from the leaves on the trees in the wind, the sound of voices back in the village.

EEEEAAAIIIII!!!!

A piercing howl tore through the darkness. A howl the Kanthrop were quite familiar with. It's sound was not like any animal they were familiar with, no wolf nor bear nor eagle could produce such an agonising wail. It sounded most like a man's call upon death. Final breath released in painfull agony. Soon after the first cry, a second and a third could be heard, deep within the Howling Forest.

The Cryers had awoken.

Xenovia's gaze fixed on the woods she could see shapes move in the darkness, but rather than coming at her they seemed to chase along the inner rim of the forest, just beyond the tree line. More cries could be heard as different shapes seemed to move left and right along the forest edge. Words and whispers started to reach Xenovia's ears.

Get him, find him, grab him, kill him!

Inside her something awoke. Adrenalin surged and her Inner Animal, dormant before now awoke and stirred within. She could feel it, clawing it's way into her conciousness, uncontrollably reaching up and out, desperate to hunt, to fight. To follow it's primal instincts, untied to her soul it wrestled for dominance, clawing, breaking away at her inside while the shadows around her came alive with visions of eyes and teeth.

The Cryers had arrived.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

EEEEAAAIIIII!!!!

The howl of the Cryers was more like a shriek, and it ripped through Xenovia's ears. Her body grew rigid and tense in the light of the fire, her eyes wide, those long fingers now locked in a death grip around her spear as she watched movements in the shadows. For a moment she was worried. I can't move. I can't move.

It was the whispers that brought her back, her muscles shuddering to life as her body crouched lower, but even as she began to ask herself who he was Xenovia felt something awaken inside her.

She'd already been anxious, but the sudden rush of adrenaline through Xen's body was different this time. Her pupils dilated, her heart pounding in her ears as a sneering scowl came to her lips, her teeth baring at no one in particular. She could feel it keenly, clawing upward, trying to take over her. In desperation she tried to remember what Oni had taught her, what she should do in this moment.

Her first instinct was to fight it, and to fight the Cryers as if it were their fault. She cast quick glances to her sides to see what everyone else was doing, realizing for the first time that the north side was underguarded. Ignoring this fact for now, Xenovia turned her gaze forward again, her eyes narrowed against the strain of her Inner Animal's tearing. Inwardly, she vowed not to die. She would not die just as her Inner Animal had awakened.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Shadow seemed to convulse around her, the darkness itself a living, breathing entity. Her Kanthrop training and all her senses screamed "Danger! Danger!" She felt her Inner Animal twist and churn inside aswell, it was as if being attacked from two sides at once, inside and out.

Though her Inner Animal had always been a part of her, ever since her trials it had started showing up more prominently. She had noticed it before, clutching on to her emotions, riding them, manipulating. It's beastly essence attempting to override her human nature, taking control. Oni had always taught her that this was the natural course, that she would have to find a way to deal with the spirit within to achieve it's shape without.

Right now, it was difficult to focus on keeping it at bay, she felt the bird of prey within her cry out in fear and anger, like a cornered pigeon tied to a cramped space by rope, cats circling around, toying with it, waiting for the kill. It wanted to lash out randomly, fling itself out of harms way.

Run, fight.

It was confusing.

Within these flickers of internal struggle, darkness grew as an increased gust of wind blew out what remained of the fire behind Xenovia. Unkept it had waned far enough for the wind to scatter it, embers remaining on the ground, glowing as smoke rose from the remains, making her eyes tear as the wind blew it right at her back. She could not see her attackers but she felt their presence. She felt their stares upon her as she readies herself for the attack, she could hear them rustling in the woods, staying just out of her reach as if to mock her.

Words flowed into her mind...

You are lost little one...

No where to run...

Soon you will join the endless sleep...

And then one of them launched at her.

It came from right in front of her, out of thin air it seemed to appear. Within a flicker it was upon her, claws, fangs, teeth, darkness engulfing her, latching on, choking her. She had but maybe a flicker to react before the creature would take a proper hold and choke her to death entirely...
Last edited by Brytan on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Her eyes darted frantically. She was like a thing possessed, her breathing rapid, her muscles shaking slightly. She had never expected this sort of struggle, truthfully. Her thoughts had been sorely idealized: it would be a smooth transition, she'd thought. She would embrace her Inner Animal and take off into the skies gracefully. Now Xen realized how wrong she had been.

Inwardly she struggled, trying to control it, to bend it to her will. I need to fight! Fight!! There was no way she could run from the Cryers now. She had been stationed here to guard the village, to protect the grounds. Not to turn and run when she was cornered! Defiant anger raged through her as she tried to tell this to the creature within her, to make it understand that now was the time to lash out.

As the fire behind her blew out Xenovia stepped sideways, her eyes stinging when she turned her head to look at it. It was then that the words flowed into her mind, and she turned back toward the forest just in time to see one of the Cryers seemingly appear in front of her and leap upon her.

She had no time to do little more than yell as she was caught off balance and fell backward next to the scattered fire, her concentration on her Inner Animal breaking, her spear leaving her hand and clattering to the ground. Xenovia's nails searched viciously for the Cryer's eyes as she caught sight of a small cluster of embers next to her. Her mind and body in a haze, she rolled swiftly, attempting to place the Cryer on top of the still-burning embers. The creature was corporeal at the moment, no doubt it would not enjoy the sensation.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Xenovia fell, which probably saved her life. The Cryer tried to grasp her, but had not expected her to topple over so instead it struck her, clawing at the young Kanthrop as they fell to the ground. The creature was remarkably light. It's skin a deep swirling black, it's eyes glowing a pale sheen of white in the darkness.

IIIIIEEEE!!!

It cried again as Xenovia rolled it over onto the burning embers, burning herself slightly in the process as the ground behind her was littered with them, some glowing, going out. Some burning still. The Cryer vanished from beneath Xenovia, giving her almost no time to react before she struck the ground which had been below the creature herself.

Almost no time, enough for a trained huntress?

Xenovia felt the creature emerge from the shadows to her right side more so than she could see it. Inside of her she heard the whispers. Inside of her she felt her Inner Animal churn, it appeared happy with her swift response and was urging her to go for the kill. The pigeon was free of it's chains...

The Cryer seemed to hover, less certain of an easy prey, it's form more transparent. Tendrils reaching out for her head, her arms, solidifying as they neared her. Behind it more of the pale white eyes moving in the darkness.

It was not alone.
Last edited by Brytan on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

As the creature vanished beneath her Xenovia rolled to the left as quickly as she could, practically throwing gerself sideways and hoping her Kanthar would take more of the damage than her skin. Wincing as she was burned more by the smaller embers, she told herself it didn't matter. It would heal if she stayed alive.

Xen suddenly felt encouraged rather than torn by the creature within her, a sadistic smile on her lips as she grasped her fallen spear in her right hand and, using the same force of inertia that had rolled her over, jerked her weight forward and returned to her feet. With what seemed like a shrieking battle cry she took hold of her spear with both hands and thrust its sharp tip toward one of the more solid tendrils as swiftly and strongly as she could. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she gradually began to think less and act more, relying more on her instinct and senses than her thoughts.

It was becoming clear that the creature within her was much more than a nuisance, she needed only to listen to it -- and listen she did, trying to channel that encouragement into her muscles, to push herself beyond normal limits and begin to fight as an animal would.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"It has begun."

As the first shrieks of the Cryers made their way from the forest, the people in the village jerked, eyes and ears turning to the wall protecting them. They were used to it by now, they had faith in their protectors, unknowing of the descisions made by the Kanthan Oni and the guardian Kaern.

The latter had positioned himself at the east gate. It would take him mere flickers to attain speed and muster a counter attack should the Cryers manage to break through. A contingent of hunters at his side, aware of their leader's choice.

"We wait."

-----

Oni was inside the village, in her tent. She was meditating deeply when she heard the first sounds of the attack. Her trained ears could discern the direction and distance of the creatures. Her knowledge of their ways told her they were testing the waters.

"Xen, I have faith in you."

Oni took a bow and started preparing a quiver of freshly cut arrows...

-----

Xenovia jerked, rolled, leaped and found herself upright again, spear in hand. Her muscles were heading the way she wanted them to with a sense of force and direction she had not yet experienced. Her body was reacting fast, adrenalin coarsing through her system. She could tell her mind shutting down, she wanted it to. She gave herself over to instinct.

Her Inner Animal agreed with her actions...

For a moment she found herself looking at everything differently. Her vision blurred in and out of focus, directing itself to the other Cryers in the woods. View of distance changed as her bird eyes focussed on her attackers.

Two to the right, Three to the left.

Distances and times sprung into her mind.

Three flickers for them to reach me, half a flicker for the lower left tendril to get to my upper thigh. A third of a flicker for the right tendril to grasp my arm.

Yahren of training in physical combat, mental acuity and mental focus sprang into life as her Inner Animal took over and gave her it's insight.

Her spear thrust forward at one of the tendrils, piercing what seemed to be shadow solidified. It vaporised but more advanced. The creature lingered slightly out of reach, choosing to keep it's distance this time. The world seemed to move in slow motion as Xenovia felt the rush of the adrenalin and the force of the animal spirit within take over her body, her mind, her soul.

"The path of the Beast is a narrow line between control and dominion."

Words of Oni from yahren past flowed into her mind.

"To achieve true Awakening you must become one with the spirit within, but neither force not his nor yours can gain full control."

Xenovia could see the other Cryers advance, her senses peaked at their presence. She was being cornered.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It was too much for her to consciously comprehend, and so she absorbed it with her muscles and with her movements. Her eyes saw more clearly; she knew where her attackers were, when they would reach her, where they would touch her. Though her heart pounded in her ears she began to concern herself less with the danger and more than her ability. She began to believe and trust in herself. Rather than fight with her Inner Animal, she worked together with it.

Two to the right. Her gaze moved faster than the flickers she had left. Three to the left. Three flickers for them to reach me, half a flicker for the lower left tendril to get to my upper thigh. A third of a flicker for the right tendril to grasp my arm. She moved like the wind, exhilaration spreading the smile on her lips. Xenovia was enjoying herself, danger be damned.

Her left hand shifted its grip on her spear, angling it in a strike toward the tendril near her thigh even as her right hand seized the one at her arm and gave a fierce tug. No doubt it would merely turn to shadow, but if she did manage to pull the thing maybe it would disrupt the others. Regardless, Xenovia realized that it was useless to try to harm them this way. Perhaps the ones to her left would be more solidified.

For a fraction of a flicker she seemed to grow shorter as she turned slightly, her legs crouching deftly beneath her. Her muscles tensed, her eyes narrowing. Then like a spring she suddenly released, in an attempt to vault herself in a backflip over the three creatures that she had placed behind her. If she made it she would land and swiftly strike out in a wide arc at them. Even if she didn't make it, at least they wouldn't be able to corner her just yet.

Remembering Oni's words, Xen focused on cooperating with her Inner Animal -- heeding its insight and input as she listened to her instincts and let go of her thoughts.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee...

Xenovia was all over the place. Her senses peaked, her weapon primed. She lashed out left and right, striking at tendrils coming towards her. They were quickly retracted upon impact or chased back into the shadow from whence they seemed to come. The Cryer let out another howl...

-----

Back at the east gate, Kaern's men were getting anxious. From a distance they could see a little of the fight up around the north wall. Culwago with his feline eyes peered into the darkness and smirked.

"They've got her cornered, it won't be long ti..."

Eyes turned towards him.

"What the Nether is she doing now?"

-----

Xenovia was aware of the tactic of the Cryers, seeing a way out only by way of the sky she ducked slightly and then kicked off. She turned and flipped backwards over the three Cryers behind her. For a few flickers the creatures seemed stumped as she bolted over their shadowy forms, making for a perfect flip.

Her landing left something to be desired though. Spear still in hand she lost her footing upon impact with the ground behind her and fumbled back a few paces, barely keeping upright. Balance maintained on adrenalin only she stood, several paces away from the Cryers who, as one...disappeared.

-----

"By the Mother I don't believe it."

Others had seen it aswell. Some started to applaud, wanting to shout at Xenovia, but were quickly shushed by Kaern.

"This isn't over yet. You two, with me..."

-----

In front of Xenovia, the area around the fire she had been at was devoid of all movement. Up in the distance she could see several shapes gathered by the east gate, a few of them breaking away from the group, moving her way. Adrenalin still pumped through her veins, her blood roared, thumping in her head. Her left foot hurt a bit, but the feeling was numbed by all the tension.

She won?
Last edited by Brytan on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It felt incredible, this rush of awareness. She was exhilarated, enjoying the way her muscles worked so swiftly, how she knew where they were and when they would reach her. A smile was plastered permanently on her dark red lips, it seemed, though it faltered momentarily as Xen fought for balance. It was regained, however, through the sheer force of the adrenalin pumping through her veins. As she lunged, however, the Cryers disappeared.

Her first response was anger. She felt cheated; the fight had not been finished. Her mouth opened as if to cry out in rage, before she quieted herself with another feeling: distrust. She fell completely still and listened, trying to hear past her heartbeat, to find where the Cryers had gone to. Her attention turned inward as she tried to sense any danger, perhaps something that normal senses would not find. She did not believe that Five Cryers would be defeated so easily by one little kit. Her heartbeat pounded in her ears, her eyes flicking their gaze toward the shapes moving in her direction from the east gate. They were coming to help her, or perhaps to bring her back. Either way, she couldn't bring herself to relax.

Tentatively Xenovia wiggled the toes of her left foot, her head turning left, right, very slowly. Her eyes were open as wide as they would go as she tried to catch the light of the moon to aid her new birdlike vision, her golden eyes glinting sharply. She would have fought for days if she could have, her very being aching for more. Inwardly she asked both herself and her Inner Animal: Where did they go?
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Right here whelp...

Her Inner Animal screamed.

-----

"Oh no..."

"XENOVIA, LOOK OUT!"

-----

Xenovia felt a presence behind her, she was aware, at the ready. Her guard was still up so she turned just in time to see a Cryer come straight at her from behind. It struck her fully, throwing her back into the wooden poles making up the high wall around the village.

Quickly after, a second Cryer charged at her again, dazed, it was hard to respond. The impact from the Cryer had hurt less than the wood had done, she had hit her head profusely.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIAAAAA!!!!!

The Cryer melded with the darkness just before it hit her, incorporeal, passing through her like a cold wind.

Her Inner Animal cried in anguish, the pain was incredible. Like being torn apart from the inside. Voices in her mind called to her while pain wracked her entire body.

You will be ours

Join the darkness

Become part of the endless sleep

Then another voice. A voice she had not heard but in her own dreams. A voice she knew to belong to herself, to that other part of her, the animal spirit clinging to her existance...

Help...

It was getting slaughtered.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

There! She spun with the intention of attacking, but her breath left her as the Cryer struck her and her frame flew backward, slamming hard into the unforgiving wood of the fence behind her. Dazed, she struggled to regain her composure, her vision swimming as she shook her head hard. She held out her hand as if in an attempt to stop the second Cryer coming at her, but it was gone in an instant.

Then came the pain, tearing through her body like a tempest. Her muscles contracted, the smile now long gone from her lips as she shut her eyes tight and dropped her spear. Her arms wrapped round her stomach as voices echoed through her mind. No! She thought the word over and over as she clawed at her sides, as if she were trying to tear the Cryer out again. Then she heard it, softly in her mind. "Help..."

Rage tore through her. Anger and fury and a sudden explosion of all the adrenaline that had aided her just a few short burns ago. They were trying to kill it, to destroy her Inner Animal -- to take it from her just as she had begun to know it. Her head threw itself back as she screamed out at the sky: a piercing, shrieking sound filled with anguish and rage. She tried to focus this fury inside, to attack the Cryer inside of her as she fought back as best she could. But she didn't know how to fight something inside of her that wasn't a part of her. She didn't know what else to do. Fight it! Please fight it!
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Xenovia could feel her senses shut down as the Cryer worked it's way through her nervous system and into her soul. Every nerve ending burned with pain, a pain she desperately tried to claw out of her. At the far reaches of her conciousness she thought she felt hands grabbing her, lifting her up. She thought she could hear voices talking. Voices that were familiar to her. Light of newly lit fire burned her ocular nerves from without almost as much as they were plagued from within.

-----

"Hold her down!"

"Over here, this way!"

"Bar that gate for The Mother's sake!"

Random cries tore through the eveningtide sky as Kaern's men grabbed the struggling, manic Xenovia and carried her into the village walls.

Dragged was more like it.

"Put her on the cot here." Gannas Hawkeye rushed to her side as the kit was carried into his tent, still trying to claw the Cryer out of her system.

"She seems to be unaware of us." Kaern mumbled. "She is in pain. The Cryer must have invaded her mind and is eating away at her from the inside since she proved too strong on the outside."

"What can we do?"

"Not much I'm afraid. Unless the Cryer comes out into the light of it's own volition it finds shelter inside her. The light can not reach it there and it can carry out whatever it wishes unless she fights it herself."

The shaman took out a vial and poured some of it's content into Xenovia's mouth, which he had to pry open.

"Now all we can do is wait..."

-----

Darkness.

Everything suddenly stopped. Xenovia's pain had ended. She no longer felt the Cryer within her, no longer did she hear the words of the creature calling her into death.

At least, not from within.

A cold wind struck her, blowing harshly, far stronger than it had before. Upon opening her eyes she could see she was on a mountain top. Somewhere in the Skymyst. Valley Village displayed in a rustic moringtide sun deep below her to one side. To the other side nothing but clouds and air.

Help

That voice again. Not in her head this time, somewhere ahead. Looking into the distance she could see movement along the steep ridge which seemed to make up this particular peak. A narrow path leading to a somewhat wider ledge, upon which two shapes were duking it out.

One was a Cryer, somehow untouched by the daylight.

Another a bird.

Help me

-----

"The potion has taken effect." The shaman said as Xenovia's body fell silent. "She will dream the Dream, facing a foe far deadlier than her own Inner Animal."

Gannas put the stopper back on the vial and placed it in a pouch on his belt. "All we can do is wait..."
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

No.

Her nails clawed at her own flesh uncontrollably as her eyes rolled in her head from the overwhelming pain.

Please, no.

It was inside of her, and she couldn't get it out. Had she been able to think past the agony she felt, Xenovia would have wondered how one fights a creature inside of you.

Stop.

It wasn't like her Inner Animal. It wasn't a part of her. It didn't belong there...or anywhere.

Everything..

She thought she could feel herself moving, hear voices far off; they were familiar, but they couldn't save her. Her nails had bits of her own pale flesh stuck under them, though they relented for a time as Xenovia groaned and lifted her arms feverishly, trying to block the light out. Her teeth were clenched, her head turning this way and that. She was blinded by pain.

..hurts!

Darkness.

Everything stopped abruptly. The pain was gone, the Cryer was silent.

Is this what dying feels like?

As a cold wind struck her, Xenovia jumped and shivered slightly, her eyes opening in surprise. They widened still more when she found herself on a mountain top. Turning her head, Xen stared left at the village with wide, golden eyes. What was happening? To her right, there was nothing. Clouds and air.

Then she heard it again, the cry for help that made her ache. Looking down, she found that her spear was in her hand, and when Xen looked up again she spotted movement along the ridge. The path to the ledge was narrow and dangerous, and the ledge itself was not much wider, and certainly not at all safe. There, she easily recognized the shape of the Cryer; yet fighting it was a large bird. Her eyes widened as she realized that must be her Inner Animal.

Xenovia didn't take the time to wonder how this came to be, or what realm she was in. All she knew was that she had to save the bird. She had to get to that Cryer. Her sandaled feet padded across the ground as she sprinted toward the battling pair. She met the narrow path without a thought of fear, running as lightly as she could lest some parts of it should break away. Her spear was in hand, ready to thrust at the horrible demon of a creature, and her approach was as quiet as possible while still being swift. Perhaps the foul thing wouldn't notice her until it was too late.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”