Ursa: Pride and Prejudice (Early ET)

Moderator: Mods

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

The slow cessation of fighting caused Niamh to lurch forward, finally, an awkward movement that brought her weariness to light. She stepped forwards, one pace only, sharp eyes striving to pierce the night, trying to see if the Cryers were pacing just within the night's shadows outside the glare of fire. With nowhere to spend it, her rage began to fade. Words and thoughts began to realign memories, and as she stepped back into the group, it was but a flicker before she was gently rummaging for Kiare's Horn.

But she held back, the rounded instrument clenched in a hand that was creased with her own dried blood. Looking to Oni, for the first time sounding uncertain, she spoke. "If we call them, they would come to us, through the shadows." Is it worth their deaths to spare us? She had no doubt, were the call to be sounded, their kin would come. But will that give way to a greater slaughter? Will it leave our home undefended? But it had been sounded already, and there was no sign of anyone. What good would it do to sound it again? They knew roughly where we were going...

Her head canted upwards, looking for the moon, stars, any constellation... uncertain how much time had passed. Hoping to keep muscles from growing sore, she paced, somewhat restlessly, among the camps wreckage. She sheathed her blades at her waist, footsteps pausing near Xenovia, the suspicion and distrust, she could scent it. Though she noted Xen's injuries, she did not speak - there were others who had lost lives, they two had been comparatively lucky.

Compatriots in crime, many times in the past, Niamh could tell when her kinswoman had formed some manner of plan. Feet planted, she stood alongside Xen, watching the Intruders with large dark eyes, rimmed in a golden yellow. Bird-like.
-------------------------
Avatar courtesy of Kyena via http://www.allavatars.com
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

"Dismantle?! The Tal'Fea?" It sounded like madness. But then, the dusk, the attack, it all was madness. But to destroy the airship? The expedition would return to World's Mouth in disgrace, having lost lives and the very craft that conveyed them. And that was if they even managed to return at all, for they would be stranded for an untold amount of time, and at the mercy of the locals. The strange tribe fought alongside them now, but what would be said and done when they were in daylight once again?

A trap? The thought stabbed at him. He didn't think Guido would have made such a suggestion on his own; then, had it been the pale woman's idea? As much as he wanted to talk peacefully with the native people, his heart was not without its own suspicions. If they do view us as invaders, then torching our ship would be a handy way of trapping us here, unable to report to anyone else...

Then, as quickly as they had come, the Cryers had faded away. The lieutenant turned his head from side to side, watching and listening. He was afraid to get his hopes up that the monsters had gone, just as he felt the others were. Was the naked woman's idea working?

"Keep at it," Quinlan urged, staring out into the darkness. "We'll put a ring of fire all around us. We'll burn the clothes off our back if we have to. But," he added quickly, looking to Guido and the woman warrior near him. "We will not destroy the skiff." His stare was hard, and his jaw was set. "If we need more fuel, we can search the skiff." Ropes, crates, cots, surely there was still much that could be taken off the ship without tearing it to pieces.

Quinlan's eyes hovered over the pair a flicker more before lowering to the ground where the various wounded lay. The amount of damage the Cryers did in what seemed so short a time was astonishing. The extent of the wounded tribal girl's injuries were unclear, but his own legionairres appeared done for.

"Someone...tend to the wounded." He felt like a fool, again calling for "someone" to do this and that. Wasn't there anything he could do? But he was not a healer. It was his duty to keep his head, keep sight of the big picture, and try to keep the camp safe. What a smashing job I've done of it, too.

"If you know something about healing, then do what you can for them," he said a little more quietly, scanning the faces of the tribals as well as the others in the expedition. In spite of any misgivings, Quinlan would hardly object to any of them tending his men. After all, there was little any of them could do to make the injuries worse.

"Otherwise..." -he looked poignantly at Rao and Danton, kneeling by their comrade- "...move up, and let those who would help do what they can. There's a fire to build and enemies to watch for." The lieutenant, broad shoulders rising and falling with heavy breaths, had no desire to throw any weight around. But for whatever reason, the Cryers had given them a precious few moments to regroup. They could not afford to waste it.

Taking his own advice, he turned his attention to Oni. To him, her only distinction from the rest was her lack of even scraps of clothing, but she had been the one to speak out to him. Taking just a few steps closer to her, he remained ready with his weapon - though it was against a sudden Cryer onslaught, not the nude combatant herself. If things were a little different, his nature would've compelled him to offer her something to cover herself with. But they were burning everything in sight, and dire straights could override even the most basic niceties.

"What's happening?" he asked, gazing at her intently. "What are they doing?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

"Mmh." It was a sound of contemplation. It seemed Guido was the more reasonable of the two men she'd spoken with, and Xenovia's bird eyes watched the fair-haired Quinlan as Guido relayed her suggestion to him. At first he was appalled, but Xenovia sensed his suspicion, saw it in the determined set of his jaw. Like a child who intends to have his way regardless of what it may mean to others. It filled her with rage, the emotion flooding through her blood just as Niamh approached. Long, slender digits wrapped more tightly around the wood of her spear, knuckles clenched to white(r), teeth baring in a snarl of anger. She was some distance from him, so Xenovia's movements were hardly dangerous (or were they?) as she lowered her spear to point the tip menacingly at Quinlan. He had offended her deeply, but would he realize it? Her words pierced through the sudden quiet that followed the Cryers' seeming retreat.

"We did not have to help you." Though it was a statement, her voice echoed strongly; clearly she spoke to everyone in the camp. Her tall, graceful form was at once menacing and beautiful -- much like an animal poised to strike. "We did not have to save you. No law bade us come warn you. No authority commanded us to protect you. At this very moment, we endanger our own lives to defend yours."

Turning now, Xenovia addressed the whole camp, her frame visibly shaking with fury. Her lips were pulled back from her teeth in a snarl one would expect to see only on an animal. "You desecrated our lands and we told you how to live through the night. You took our words lightly and we came to correct your mistake. Now we stand in your midst bloodied, helping you, fighting with all our being to ensure that as many of you as possible will live to see the sun rise again." Here she paused, her chest rising and falling, deep breaths of anger clearly audible by her kin, and perhaps audible by those intruders nearer to her. Then her voice barked through the night.

"And you spit in our faces! You give us little more than your suspicion and your distaste! For our blood you trade distrust! For our assistance you trade resistance! Were you our kin, this would never be tolerated. We are giving you the best that we have, do not think you can return anything less." Finally her spear was again pointed at Quinlan, eyes widening menacingly, her pupils spinning deeper into the depths of her golden orbs as more light entered them.

"It is only because of us that you stand here now. Do not make us regret our decision. We survive each night because our fury is greater than theirs; respect that, lest you face an attack that does not end with the dawn."

Her stance was challenging, as if she dared anyone to try and argue back, to try and tell her that she was wrong for being angered. In her eyes, they were scorning her kin and herself by questioning their motives -- something far more insulting to her than a mere slap in the face. Xenovia was shocked and infuriated by their remorseless mockery, and she was more than prepared to forcefully silence anyone who spoke out against her.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

The outburst was a jolt to the wary lieutenant. Muscles tensed across his trunk. Had his suspicions been correct, and they would now face attack from within their circle of fire?

He listened to her, confused. Quinlan couldn't see that he had done or said anything to incite such anger. At least, he recalled saying nothing thus far that he had any intention of retracting. Seems their...animalistic traits don't end with just looks, he thought, seeing her bared teeth and wild eyes.

Blood was running hot among them all, the lieutenant was sure. If the pale warrior's rage spun out of control, infecting them all...it was something he was quickly coming to fear as much as the return of the shadowy beasts. The Condotierre officer opened his mouth to speak. He wanted to contradict her challenge, to tell the tribals he didn't understand how the expedition had even had the chance to desecrate anything or spit in any faces, as it were.

But, then he oddly remembered a rumor he'd often heard from folks in the past: avoid looking a wild dog in the eyes. At the time, it seemed like a strange moment for it, but it halted his speech nonetheless. His chest rose and fell as he took a deep breath and glanced over all the tribal people nearby.

"My name is Quinlan Corodin," he stated evenly. His voice was resonant, and was just starting to sound hoarse from his yelling during the fighting. "I..." -he hesitated, and his hazel eyes flicked over to the direction envoy Donelli had run off- "...am responsible for these people." He paused a flicker to observe, rolling his shoulders back a little. "Who among you is leader?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Niamh rolled her shoulders back at the exchange between Xenovia and Quinlan, her kin's anger stirring hers as well at the recitation of the intruder's offenses. It shook off the last vestiges of the fog her battle rage had left her senses in, bringing round her wits to the defense of the Kanthrop at her side.

"I lead the scouting party that came to warn, and then defend you." Niamh's voice was rock hard. She braced herself next to Xenovia, even as a glance flickered to Oni, ready to give up authority immediately should the Elder seek it.

"Without fire, we will be over-run. You think these measly piles will last long enough to keep us through the night?" Scorn and narrowing of her strange eyes accompanied the words. "If you plan on using your... vessel... you will either need to leave by it now and leave us to our fate, or burn it. The Cryers know they have little to do but wait, pacing in the darkness..." the Kanthrop woman's voice rose and fell as she painted the picture, slipping into the intense mannerisms that she generally found among the fires of their village and the tales shared there. "They will watch as the fire grows as we feed it. They will pace, eagerly, as the supply fails. They will wait, patiently, as the embers dim, and then they will strike, silently, seeking to drag us all into their nothingness, to catch at our very souls."

Again, that tone of scorn arose, and she eyed the man, Quinlan with the unblinking gaze of her spirit creature. "We want only to be left alone. You must live to return to your village and city and say this to your Elders. It is that reason only, we guard your lives. We warned you to leave!" This last vocalization rose with her frustration, and her gaze fell to Kiare, briefly. If not for them, we would be safely within the defenses of our village. Kiare would not be injured, we would be celebrating my warp.... The kanthrop was not practiced at governing her emotions, for all the anger stirring in her voice, and the tenseness of her limbs, her features betrayed a far more eloquent streak of concern than any words she could speak.

Those features stood contrasted by the light from the bonfire, her long, narrow nose casting shadows across her face, her deeper eyes far from the expected notions of beauty. But such observations should bear little on the words she spoke.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The perimeter began to take shape and the curator sought to block out the dire nature of the expedition’s situation from his mind, concentrating on the task in hand. He sighed as he saw Serafini faint and made the woman as comfortable as he could before continuing to gather any remaining flammable material from the tent. Being no healer, he left tending the wounded to others who might have more skills in this reagrd.

He shrugged at Quinlan’s reaction to the suggestion concerning the ship. I had a feeling you might say that. And, in truth, the thought of burning the ship scares the hell out of me. I know it’s a last resort but I think we are rapidly approaching last resort time. At least if we are alive we can worry about transportation… if we’re dead…well, we won’t have any more worries.

Guido’s thoughts were interrupted by the angry response that Xenovia gave to Quinlan’s reaction. Oh shit, we can’t afford to fight each other. We must trust them, we have no choice.

Taking a deep breath, Guido began to speak, first addressing the lieutenant in a direct, assertive fashion.

“Quinlan, they did warn us and they have returned to help. These facts are indisputable. Perhaps they don’t want us here. Perhaps we have inadvertently desecrated their lands. Yet, if they want us gone, they would hardly suggest we burn the ship if it wasn’t necessary. By all means burn everything else first but when all else is gone, we must burn the ship. Dead men can’t sail a skiff. ”

He then turned to Niamh and Xenovia. “You have helped us greatly, I acknowledge that. And I hope that we can now help you. Yet, we must all put away our pride to defeat these creatures. Think how these nightmarish creatures would howl and laugh if they could hear us bicker.There will be time enough for recriminations after this is over. For now, we must work together as one tribe.”

Not sure how good I am at this peacemaking lark but we must put a stop to this talking, it is deflecting us from action.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Of course," Quinlan agreed with Guido. "They have helped us." He looked to the tribals. "We are glad that you are here." But... He took another deep breath. Return to World's Mouth with the mission scarcely attempted? The soldiers wounded - fatally, most likely - and the envoy lost, for nothing? No, we can't simply pack up and leave.

"We have no intention of staying here," he said truthfully. "But there is much we have to talk about. I do not want to see anyone else hurt in the meantime." The situation in Terra Nova's region of the world was, to Quinlan's mind, a bit more complicated than telling his "elders" that the tribals didn't want to play. If their intentions were true, the Condotierre officer hoped he would get the chance to try and make them see.

At present, Guido's response left Quinlan a might crestfallen, reasonable as it may have been. Burn the ship. Everybody wants to burn the ship. On the other hand, there's a whole forest right over there, he thought, wrestling with his own rising frustration. A couple burning crossbow bolts and we'd have fire for days.

"Believe me, I understand the urgency," he insisted, straightening up a little taller. "But it isn't as if the skiff's made out of driftwood. We'd certainly be ambushed before we could get much of it burning. Weren't they built with cannon fire...in...mind..." The lieutenant trailed off. His eyes widened, and he turned his head to look toward the Tal'Fea. "Sergeant!" he blurted. "How bright would the primer for that hand cannon burn? Oh, tell me we have more of it stowed away."
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

As the debate flared between the two camps, the two groups rallied behind their leaders. Where Niamh spoke for her scouting team, Oni remained silent and observed, casting glances to the woodland intermittantly.

Quinlan's soldiers stood at the perimeter. Sergeant Ardigo was beside him when he called out for his powder reserve. The sergeant looked a bit stumped as he grasped his hand cannon somewhat firmer, his favorite weapon.

"Eh...yes sir." it came out a bit reluctantly. "I have a fair supply of the stuff with me, though I am not sure how it will help us, sir." He tapped a flask like container which hung from his belt. It was rather large and bulky, made of leather and clad with metal. Seemingly heavy and quite full it hardly moved as he tapped it.

"What did you have in mind if I may ask...sir?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Hm, that container you've got isn't as much as I was hoping for," Quinlan said, expression waning somewhat. "But it may still give us an edge when they come back." And a way to forestall using the skiff for firewood, at least a little longer...oh what I wouldn't give to have someone from one of those mage schools here...

"Tell me, Mr. Ardigo. What would happen if some of that were put to an open flame?" Until just a few months ago, he had yet to truly see cannons and the like. Something that the tribals and Cryers had yet to see at all. "If it does what I think, then maybe it would give these light-averse fiends something to think about?"
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Stuff's bloody expensive..." Ardigo grumbled as Quinlan commented on the amount of powder he was carrying. "...erh...sir. It's rather expensive sir."

Somehow that last sentence didn't sound very convincing.

"It will give a right flash, sir. In a barrel it explodes and the pressure pushes the pellet out and forward. But in an open space it will explode aswell, but without the confines of a barrel the pressure is minimal, but the flash of light all the bigger."

He spoke with vigor about his pet hand cannon. He had only fired it once during the fight, and it had indeed given a loud bang and the muzzle had flared up briefly. As he spoke he took the container and reloaded his hand cannon, powder, cotton, pellet... He took his time, but when he was finished putting the last of the ingredients into the barrel of the gun he smiled and let the gun rest over his left shoulder.

Running footsteps...

"Sir! We have movement beyond the fire!"

"It's one of your own. He came from your canoe, I heard him walking on the wood. The Cryers don't make that sound and we have all our people." Oni replied.

On the brink of the fire, Elias appeared.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

As Quinlan opened his mouth again, Xenovia found herself soundly wishing he would place his foot in it, for it would be safer than trying to explain his rude actions. Then his gaze averted to the others, and Xen almost sneered. Was he afraid of her? He couldn't look her in the eye.

His request for a leader was answered by Niamh, and though she controlled the curious quirk in her eyebrow Xenovia looked toward Oni to see her reaction. Their Kanthan, however, seemed more concerned with the edges of the shadow. I know this is not the time for bickering, but I simply can't put up with this mistrust. It is insulting. Niamh was speaking again, of the way the Cryers would come after them. An involuntary shudder caused her form to move ever-so-slightly as she recalled the way a Cryer had entered her body and...mind? Subconscious? Soul? Either way, it had been invasive and almost deadly. Certainly unpleasant.

It was Niamh's frustration that snapped Xenovia out of her contemplation, her chin lifting slightly as she came to rest a hand on her kin's shoulder. A light squeeze was given for encouragement. I am proud of you, little Niamh, as are the others. Not for the first time did Xenovia wish for the comfort of her tent and the bed within -- certainly not the type of bed the intruders were used to, but it was bed nonetheless.

Guido's response was more favorable than Quinlan's, but just because he was more reasonable did not mean the wild woman would spare him her scorn. It took longer to gain her trust than her anger. When he faced them, Xen narrowed her eyes dangerously at him. You will never be part of my tribe. Had she spoken the words aloud, one might have expected them to be tipped with poison.

And here came Quinlan again, babbling on about something or other. An excuse not to burn the ship, and then...primer? Hand cannon? What on Ursa were they talking about? What was a sergeant? Her fingers gave a light, irritated twitch on Niamh's shoulder."I can only imagine the ridiculous land they hail from," she mumbled, in a voice so soft only Niamh and perhaps the nearby Kanthrop could hear.

At least Oni was keeping her wits about her. Taking a page from her book, Xenovia turned her gaze back toward the edges of the fire, watching their levels. She was careful, however, not to look directly at the flame, so that the light would not impair her ability to see into the dark as much as she could.

Footsteps. Xenovia heard them before the soldier announced them and had turned to face their direction, her hand leaving Niamh's shoulder as her spear lifted, ready to be thrown. It was not one of her kin, and surely none of those fools could defend themselves in darkness against such a wave of Cryers. When Elias appeared Xen narrowed her eyes and looked him over, brimming with distrust. If Cryers could enter bodies, could they also control them? Surely not. Surely not...

"How did you make it through the darkness??" Her voice called out in a demanding tone, her eyes flashing. Her spear was aimed right at him.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

She had done with waiting while they all bickered, and was sorry she had spared even the attempt at an argument with Quinlan.

"You would wait until we are surrounded, and it is too late?! Until another half of your men and my kin are sacrificed as bloody heaps of flesh? Soulless?" Whatever was in that container, Niamh knew of nothing that size which could possibly burn long or hot enough to be of any use. Her lip curled in disdain as she spoke, tight and angry. Her eyes flickered, noting the invisible lines drawn between the two groups. Why would they not see sense?

She shifted, crouching beside the bonfire, beads of sweat building on a terse brow as she shredded the edge of her kanthar, wrapping those strips with the two last sap soaked strips left in her pouch. Her eyes glanced up towards Xenovia briefly, as she prepared more torches. To acknowledge the other's presence? Share in agreement with the other's words? A thought had become rooted in her mind and the Kanthrop woman would pursue it to completion. It will be easier to escort living bodies to the edge of our lands, than pile dead ones at the city on this strange island our home has plummeted to.

She looked to Xenovia, a flicker of a glance, sensing her kin's frustration, almost tasting her anger: these were emotions they shared. Action, we must act, enough of this play...

“You have helped us greatly, I acknowledge that. And I hope that we can now help you. Yet, we must all put away our pride to defeat these creatures. Think how these nightmarish creatures would howl and laugh if they could hear us bicker.There will be time enough for recriminations after this is over. For now, we must work together as one tribe.”

Those strange eyes focused intently on Guido's as she straightened, plunging the tips of four sticks of wood into the fire, the cloth-wrapped one smoking in the middle as the tongues of orange flames lapped upwards. She was not waiting for the Cryers to renew their efforts, before preparing.

"We fight to preserve life, but he spits on our efforts. He cares more for this ... dead wood craft than our lives. They are howling and laughing now, at our foolishness! Ursa has granted us this breathing space, we must act now!" her eyes flickered to Xenovia, thankful for the support of her erstwhile rival. "Or it will be our last. Your deaths will only draw more of your kind here, and they will think only that we were the cause of your absence!" Her blood was pounding, as she continued, intensely, struggling to latch away her anger. The battle clear on features that could not seem to hide her emotions one whit. "You are under the authority of our tribe the moment you set foot on our holy grounds. And it must burn, or you must make it fly, and never return. The Cryers cannot be defeated, only held back by light! Or escaped by air." Conviction filled her voice as she reiterated those options, and those dark, light-rimmed eyes glimmered, even her body was a single cord of knotted muscle, a spring about to release. Her eyes bored into his, as if by doing so she could emblazon her need for at least one of them to understand the situation.

She yanked the fistful of torches from the bonfire to see if they had caught enough flames within the space of the burn she had spoken, her gaze sidling oh so briefly to Xenovia, who had turned to challenge the man who approached. She laid her free hand on her kin's shoulder in turn, murmuring back in that oh-so-quiet whisper meant for Kanthrop ears only.

"Things can be rebuilt." There was a decisive note to her voice, and while the others were distracted by the newcomer, the spring within her released. Her feet dug into the hard ground, and she charged into the semi-light that reached from their fires towards the ship.

She held the torches together, confident that the cluster would maintain the flame even as she sprinted, her free hand drawing the knife at her waist. It should burn, all the vessels we make, we coat to preserve... Ursa grant that it catches fire quickly...

OOC: It's been impassable for a while, too late to use her lucky/get of something free card? lol
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

What they were having was a failure to communicate.

"That's enough!" Quinlan shouted, rushing to put himself between the madwoman's spear and the Tal'Fea's crewmember. "What...what is wrong with y..." Th lieutenant was losing what composure he had been fighting to maintain. Barbarians! Why won't they listen? Even to one word? "I care about everyone's lives. Nobody is spitting on anybody!"

The shorter tribeswoman caught his eyes. She spoke and made her torches, and the same dread that had been defining the night up til that moment began to fill him once again. Just what was she doing? Her crazed intentions became clear as she bolted from the campsite remains.

For a flicker, Quinlan could only gape in disbelief. His first impulse was to chase after her, but he barely took a step before stopping himself. Even if he could catch up to the lanky tribal, then what? They'd both be in even more danger of getting cut to ribbons.

"That's your leader?" he gasped in disbelief. "She'll get herself killed." Cupping a hand to his mouth, he called after her. "It's not a canoe, it's...it's a ship!" The idea that the skiff could be turned to a bonfire by holding a few torches up to it seemed absurd. Were that the case, Quinlan decided the engineers at the Nashorne Institute would certainly have to go back to the drawing board.

Quinlan was bewildered. He needed to talk to Elias, to see if he was hurt. The two tribal women were panicking, no, frenzying. The cycle had to be broken somehow.

...get their attention... he thought. If the damned Cryers are watching, get theirs, too. Quinlan's eyes found the primer flask at Ardigo's belt. Let's just see what it does. Without warning, he reached to snatch the container off of the sergeant's belt, intending to pour a handfull and cast it to the nearest flames.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Considering what you guys are doing, impassable sounds about right ;) I'll consider Niamh's get out of jail free card spent. And will grant you an opening to un-impassable this soon-ish. We have a synch to adhere to at some point after all ;)

Elias staggered up to the fire. He looked like he had been dragged through a mudpile and rose from the dead twice. His left arm was nearly taken off completely, a bloody stump remaining just below the shoulder. Quinlan's men helped him into the circle of arguing men and women. He dropped to his knees as he reached it.

"All dead...they are all dead...Tal'Fea is...swarming...LeForestier...darkness..."

It came out in spluttering rants. His eyes bloodshot, his hair white as snow. He was bleeding heavily. There was nothing that could be done for this one.

"Key...the key...I..."

He gasped and keeled over, his right hand clasping a crystaline fragment encased in metal. A spluttering last breath and it was over.

---

At that instant, several things were also happening. Niamh had taken a few torches and set out into the darkness to reach for the skiff. Blindly she charged in leaving the others stunned and baffled at her careless death sentence.

Quinlan grabbed Ardigo's flask. The sergeant had hardly any time to resist, so it wasn't too hard to take it. The cap was already off because of the man's reloading of his weapon, which made it very easy to pour a generous amount of the black powder onto the nearest fire.

WHOOFFF

The flames came to life in a bright flash and large column of light and heat, searing Quinlan's arm as he pulled it and the flask back. In that instant, Niamh saw them...the Cryers. The bright flash exposed the living darkness around her, laying low on the ground, hiding in the treeline and swarming across the skiff's in- and exterior. Sharp high-pitched cries went up as the pillar of light rose and drove the Cryers back, melting them effectively away.

And then the pillar was gone. And darkness engulfed Niamh again. She reached the skiff just as Oni bent down to pick up the key which Elias held in his hand. Her other hand went to the only ornament which touched her own skin, a small crystal in a leather pouch on a leather string, the pouch embroidered with a golden heart.

"The key..."

She turned to the others, her eyes wide and pupils large, the gold almost completely black by their size as a veil was lifted from her mind.

"Tugal, Culwago, get Niamh, go quick. We must get to the Heart. The Heart...how foolish. It is only a few burns from here. We'll have to break for it, GO, GET HER NOW!"

She turned to Quinlan. Xenovia, Scarlet and the others could tell, she was taking over again. Their Kanthan was in the lead as her voice sounded commanding and calm. "You, get your people and grab all the fire they can carry. We have bought some time but the Cryers linger. Take it all and run, run behind us and do not look back. use the magic powder if you need to. There is a way out, but we need to hurry. Pray to Ursa she will grant you passage."

As the tiger and the panther darted into the darkness, they caught up with Niamh swiftly. Already she was being surrounded by Cryers when the two broke through snarling and clawing, looking at her and directing her back to the camp where flames were already moving.

"Come, we have no time to lose!" Oni grabbed two torches, leaving her staff for what it was. Guido noted the wounded, the kanthrop who'se heels were severed, Serafini who was still out cold. The soldier with his gashed throat was already dead.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

The man was babbling like a fool, and Xenovia only partly heard the words her kinmate murmured to her. By the time the true meaning of those words occurred to her, Niamh was already more than half way to the skiff -- the skiff that was mostly darkness. Too brash! Everything in her yelled danger!, yet even as her lips parted to call out a warning, a sudden, violent flare of light and a loud burst of sound shocked her into silence, her whole body jerking back in protest. Her head turned involuntarily and she regarded Quinlan with an expression that seemed a mix of shock, wonder, and anger. "What on Ursa..?" The shrieks of the Cryers' protest turned her head back toward Niamh. They were still there, everywhere. She would be killed!

Yet again before Xenovia could do anything further, Oni stepped back into action, becoming the leader once more. With a swiftly issued command, the two large cats that were Tugal and Culwago were after Niamh, and Xenovia found herself moving in a haze that bade her follow her Kanthan's lead as swiftly as possible. Her spear dropped lower in her hand and she braced its butt against the ground, where a swift kick of her sandaled foot then splintered the wood in half. Her polearm now transformed into a one-handed weapon, Xen seized a torch and moved to meet Niamh on her way back toward the camp. She said nothing, deciding that now was not the time to point out the foolish decision Niamh had almost made. No doubt the lecture would come later.

For now, Xenovia prepared for the run toward the Heart, trying not to think of those who would not be able to run with them. With what remaining time she had, she placed a few more things upon the small wall of fire they'd created, hoping that would at least hold off the Cryers for a bit longer. Perhaps they'd return in time. Yes, surely they'd come back and get Kiare. She told this to herself over and over, staring off in the direction they would soon run. They have ruined everything, she thought unhappily. They bring nothing but complications.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Events swirled around Guido faster than the poor curator was able to keep up with. The narrowing of Xenovia’s eyes in response to his attempt to placate matters startled the young academic. If that’s how she reacts in response to my attempt to make peace, I certainly wouldn’t like to cross her. The woman scares me….I’ve got a feeling even my most charming smile wouldn’t have a chance of thawing her.

Continuing to gather wood for the fire, the curator only half-heard the angry debate between Quinlan. Niamh and Xenovia. However, he could not avoid observing what happened in the next few flickers…… bloody Elias staggering into the camp…. Niamh taking the torches to race to the skiff…the flames as Quinlan threw the black powder in the fire……the hideous cryers illuminated on the skiff… and, then Oni’s urgent cry to run. The curator needed no further urging, holding his one lit torch tightly. Yet, there was the unconscious Serafini….

He grabbed the comatose woman and slung her over his shoulder, making his way towards Quinlan, grabbing a second torch if he was able. “We must do as they say, Lieutenant, they are as desperate as we are.” He readied himself to follow Oni’s lead as soon as the exodus began, looking around for anyone who might be able to help him share the burden that he carried.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

The hand cannon's primer gave an even more satisfying display than Quinlan had hoped for. After making sure his uniform hadn't caught fire from the stunt, he thrust the flask back at the sergeant.

"I think you understand what I was getting at," he said gravely. "Use this to keep the monsters away as you can, but try to make it last."

The lieutenant had never really believed the Cryers had gone, but that did not keep the sight of them skulking all around from being a fright. The way they swarmed the Tal'Fea, the valiant skiff might not be left skyworthy even if it were not burned, which seemed an even more unlikely prospect. Not only could they not set it alight, they wouldn't be taking anything off it to burn, either. The Cryers would surely tear to shreds anyone coming near; now, a fate the "leader" was quickly approaching if her people could not save her. Deep down, the part of Quinlan that most resented the scorn of the tribal people felt satisfaction. It seemed to him that his reasoning had, at least in part, been correct.

The last words of poor Elias made little sense to Quinlan, but they seemed to strike a chord with the nude, avian woman who now took charge.

"You heard her," was his simple order to the soldiers. They were running out of options, even unfavorable ones. Quinlan was willing to take a chance on following. "We're moving out. Bring as much fire with you as you can. Surround the curator...and I." He slid his schlaeger into its scabbard and moved to help Guido bear the unconscious Serafini. Hopefully they could keep up with the retreat without leaving the uninjured woman behind. "We must do what we must," he grunted to Guido.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Scarlet, Tess, grab Kiare and let's go!" The wounded kanthrop lay in her tent, barely concious. Her wounds bound she had still lost a lot of blood and was incapable of walking. Her friend rushed to her aid instantly, already close to her side.

Niamh was urged back to the group as it started to move out. None of the soldiers wasted any time considering options or arguing with their superiors and they moved around Quinlan and Guido, forming a living barrier between the darkness and the two men carrying the unconcious cartographer. Oni moved in front, soon joined by Tugal and Culwago who took point along side her, with Niamh close behind. Kiare was carried behind them, trying to walk as best she could hanging on the shoulders of the two women supporting her.

Ardigo took the rear, sporting his hand cannon in one hand, a torch in the other. A smug grin on his face as he peered into the darkness.

And thus they moved. Uncontrolled the flames behind them blazed, having been fed a good amount of fuel. They ran as swiftly as possible, hindered by the injured Kiare and the unconcious Carlotta. Even thought the darkness was almost impenetrable, the kanthrop in point seemed to have no trouble with the terrain, skipping over stones and branches which littered the ground along the edge of the lake to one side, the foothills of the mountains in front of them.

The Festival Grounds had once been a proud podium, carved out of a single slab of rock, sporting large columns and totem poles. It lay on the edge of the forest and the lake, with a narrow path leading north and west from it into the mountains. All three elements represented by this three way border; air, water and earth. The significance of this totally eluded the landing party though as they did have trouble staying upright in the darkness, their torches only lighting a short distance, howls of the Cryers in their wake.

"They are not in front, if we hurry we may outrun them to the cave!"

Oni waved the two torches around herself, as if clearing the path of the evil darkness that enveloped them. Sweat on her forehead she prayed to the Mother for guidance.

"Do not let us die this night Mother, our lands must have protection, your children require your aid. Let your children into your heart as with the strangers that come onto your lands. We beg of you for mercy on this gravetide." Her words whispered in the darkness, the kanthrop in the group caught their significance. This was not some shallow prayer as if for a good harvest, this was a prayer sent up by someone terrified of what might befall them should they fail to reach the Heart in time. Oni Swifttalon feared for their lives.

BWAM!

Ardigo fired his hand cannon into the night, followed by laughter.

"Take that you liquid son of a bitch, how you like them apples!"

Followed swiftly by; "They're catching up!" and a flash of powder being set alight in the darkness behind them. "Shit, burned my bleeming hand!"

"There! Over there!"

In the light of the stars and moon, an opening up ahead in the rock could be seen. A waterfall covering it from plain sight, the waterfall feeding into the lake below. A fire was lit just inside the mouth of the cave, with movement inside as the two guardians of the Heart rose to the sound of feet approaching.

"It's Oni Swifttalon! Let us pass!" Oni shouted just before they heard a garbled scream from the back.

"For the Mou...grlgrllgg!"

BOOOM!!!

A huge explosion, a bright flash of light and a lot of heat as the powder flask of Ardigo exploded. Then a splash as what remained of the soldier plummeted into the gaping depths below.

The group broke into the cave, where two large bulky figures stood in awe as the large group of people thrashed into their midst. Usually guard duty at the Heart was the most dreary task set upon young kanthrop, where most preferred hunting or gathering, even fishing. Tonight they would not be so bored.

"Do not stand there, come, we need to escape now! Into the Heart!"

The cave they had entered had smooth walls, almost as if they were meticulously chipped and sanded down to feel like the skin of a newly born cub. The water of the falls seeped in through narrow cracks in the rock, giving them a wet sheen as the torch light fell on it's surface. In that light the newly arrived could see the intricate drawings on the wall. No words, but careful reproductions of hunting scenes, sacrificial rituals and carvings remembering the Great Crossing and the First Awakening.

None of this meant anything to the landing party, but with all the detail and colour involved it looked like someone spent yahren decorating this place.

"Wow..." Several hushed whispers of awe went up from the soldiers surrounding Guido and Quinlan. Maybe they were awestruck by the beauty of the place, or it may have been because suddenly everything in the room started to light up blue and silver.

Oni had stopped dead in her tracks, holding up the amulet on her chest while standing in the circle which was drawn at her feet. Her two torches now on the ground. Blue and silver lines formed around her as they crept through the carvings and drawings and lighted up the entire cave in a magical hue.

Outside the Cryers screamed, those looking back might just see a few of them melting away in the entrance as the light of the cavern washed over them.

A soft hum sounded as the colours swirled around them all. Whispers in an ancient language could be heard, as Oni turned to face the group, reaching out her free hand as she spoke loudly and proudly.

"Mother, may your children be granted passage to the place of our hunting grounds. May the strangers we bring be given passage with us to allow them to see the coming dawn. May the power of the key I hold be enough to send us through and may our faith be plenty to be granted redemption this night."

There was a rythm to the pulsing of the blue light, a swirling pulse almost like that of a...

portal.

Whoofh...

The light washed over all over them, and then it was gone. The light disappeared leaving them all in nothing but the light of their torches. They stood in the cave, carvings and drawings once again dark.

Outside, the howling of a wolf could be heard, and Oni smiled.

"We are safe."

---

Back on Ursa, inside the Heart, beneath the rumbling of the waterfall, a draconic figure stepped outside of the cave and glared at the Cryers gathered there. In an ancient tongue it spoke;

"Not this gravetide, not this one..."

OOC: This thread is no longer impassable, feel free to move upto the synch date while we're wrapping up here. If you have questions about what you will find on the synch, let me know in PM. I had lots of fun on this one, thanks everyone ;)
Last edited by Brytan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Niamh's weariness was affecting her judgement horribly, and later she would be thankful her mad dash towards the ship was cut prematurely short. Initially, however, the animal spirit within both quailed in terror at the sea of Cryers illuminated by the flash, and raged at the inability to defend itself, to fight, to tear the threatening things to shreds.

The ensuing scramble in Oni's faded into a blur, bodies rushing alongside her as her reserves began to fade, as the adrenaline finally began to wear thin. Even a Kanthrop body could only handle so much, and she had barely slept a handful of marks in the last two days of intense activity.

The unfamiliar explosions at the rear of the party startled her senses, the painful sounds echoing in her ears and deafening her slightly. She shivered, despite any earlier bravado, at the sound of raw meat splattering, for a flicker, recalling that brief moment, earlier that day was it only today? when the man had pointed that thing at her.

Once within the cave, she didn't spare moments gazing at the familiar surroundings, instead, laying her hand atop Oni's, knowing that more voices and thoughts raised in Prayer were oft more effective. Xenovia's presence was nearby, and there was something comforting in that. Old rivalries had fallen by the wayside, had bound those of this small, failed, scouting party she had attempted to lead.

After trying so hard, the young female could feel little but the weight of her failure as they were whisked to safety. She had not managed to get the invader's to depart, her choice of action had led to Kiare's severe injuries, her actions had been foolish... the litany continued.

She settled back against the rough wall of the cave, the stone scraping through layers of her Kanthar as she slid down it until the hard, cold floor halted her movement. Aches and pains swept over her with a vengeance, the little nicks and scratches of battle coming to the fore, her injured arm throbbing heartily, as blood oozed and dripped down her arm.

Others were more injured, and Niamh knew she ought to do something, but her muscles would not obey. So she remained, legs crossed, a torch propped up in her good hand, lips forming a thin line against the pain.
Last edited by Niamh Windwalker on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Everything was starting to blend together. Xenovia's long legs carried her along with the rest of the group, her torch waving at the darkness to deter any nearby Cryers, but she felt far removed from it all. The light of the flames flickered dully in her golden eyes, their pupils large and her gaze distant. Such a disgrace, Mother, Xen thought as they ran through the Festival Grounds. Your children live like refugees in your own land. How long before we fall?

Oni was scared. That much reached her, through the haze of blood loss and confusion. They were in acute danger this eve, a feeling that was fast becoming familiar to her. The loud firing of the strange weapon caused Xenovia to stumble slightly, though she managed to remain upright and keep going. Yet what followed was an even bigger explosion, and she felt as if she could almost see the man being blown to bits. An involuntary shiver ran down her spine, and Xen spat carefully to the side to get a foul taste out of her mouth.

There it was. Ursa's Heart. As they finally entered the cave, Xenovia cast her weapon and torch aside and sank gratefully to her knees. With mute awe she watched the drawings begin to glow, feeling at once humbled and overwhelmingly weary. Oni's words had trouble piercing through the silence that was beginning to fill her ears. The glow was growing dimmer to her half-closed eyes, her mouth open slightly, breath slowing. Now that it was almost over, Xen was feeling the effects of having her back torn open.

All became light, and she knew they were safe. As darkness returned and Oni's words were given with a smile, Xenovia's eyes rolled back into their sockets, her head lolling to the side before the shift in weight gently pulled her willowy frame off balance and she slumped over, peacefully unconscious.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Considering the inactivity in this thread I'll be rounding things off here and urge everyone to move along at their earliest convenience to the 25th (for those of you who haven't already).

The darkness of the cave put the kanthrop at ease at least, as the larger group of them seemed to drop to the floor on the spot, exhausted and utterly depraved of energy. Adrenalin left their bodies as they dared relax in the safety of the cave.

Quinlan's soldiers were wary however. The cave seemed exactly the same as before, so why on Tazlure would these wild people deem themselves so sure of safety? A quick glance outside betrayed why however. The cave they were in was located in the midst of a rather large hill, in the middle of an enormously dense forest. Smells and sounds of gravetide wildlife permeated the air, a cloudless sky overhead, barely visible through the forest canopy.

"We are no longer on Ursa, you can rest easy for a while." Oni explained briefly, sat on the floor, her back to one of the cave walls she twirled the pouch around her neck between her fingers. "Upon the morningtide we shall return through the Heart and you will be granted access to your camp, find and bury your dead. You have sacrificed much this gravetide."

The kanthan looked around the cave, her kanthrop brethren weary and the strange soldiers hurt and tired aswell. "Rest for now, we shall keep watch. We have much to discuss in the morrow."

Carlotta slowly woke up, resting against Guido she gazed up at the ceiling and then at the gathered warriors, huddled together in the darkness, with only torches to provide light.

"What...what happened?"

Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

OOC: As you said, just buttoning things up.

Whether he could sense a difference, or the ease of the tribals was simply catching, Quinlan did feel safer. The cave markings, the way they had all seemingly been transported, it made no sense to him. But, neither did the airskiff or the cannon primer make sense to the tribals, he reasoned. For time and tide, it was enough that they had escaped.

Escaped. As the thought sunk in, he gave in to the same exhaustion that many of the others felt. He lowered himself to the ground, sitting against the wall of the cave. The back of his head rolled against the cool rock as he looked around at the survivors.

Survivors were what they were, having fled for their lives, leaving their dead as they fell. The feeling he was left with, huddled there in the cave, it was a numbness. Like the way a cut seems to feel in the instant before it starts hurting. The night would leave an impression with the lieutenant.

He watched Serafini as she stirred and awoke. He was thankful they had been able to carry her to safety, thankful even that she had fainted and missed some of the tide's horrors. But he didn't volunteer an answer to her question. He only turned his hazel eyes away again, listlessly.

Thus was how Quinlan spent the rest of the night, leaning against the rock, saying nothing.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: many apologies for the delay. Just quickly wrapping up here)

The dash for the cave and subsequent escape by means akin to a portal had passed Guido by in a blur. All his attention had been devoted to carrying the unconscious Carlotta. However, by the time Oni had announced that they had reached a place of safety, the curator's energy was completely spent. Gently, he lay down his burden and slumped on the ground beside her, breathing deeply.

When Carlotta finally awoke, Guido gave the woman a quick summary of the night's events and assured her that they were now at a place of safety. Once the conversation had finished, Guido's energy was finally depleted and he laid his head against a rock, desperate for sleep.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :D

EDIT: Skilled for the returning Niamh also. :)
Last edited by Morg on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”