Ursa: Blowing Off Steam (Chyril 25th, early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia moved as fluidly as water, barely feeling what she was doing, hardly considering it. She had to fight, had to live, had to endure. The Cryers could not defeat her. It simply couldn't --

The Bane is a key, but no key works without a lock to match...

For the briefest flicker Xenovia's gaze lifted, and she thought she saw something -- no, someone. Beyond the Cryers...

It was then that the arrow met the bowstring and she drew back. The light was not blinding, but it was a surprise, drawing her attention back down as the light seemed to flow from her hands through to the very tips of the bow. A strange tingling rushed along the pale skin of her arm and found its way into her head, and she was briefly shaken as her Inner Animal cried out.

The release. Xenovia's fingers slipped from the end of the silvered arrow and sent it flying into the midst of the Cryers. She could hardly believe it as the wicked forms shrieked in pain and separated, however briefly. That was the hope she needed.

"Stay with me, Scarlet!" Xenovia cried out eagerly. In that brief moment Xenovia moved toward the opening a few steps, even as she was drawing the next arrow and readying her next shot. "We will have to run, be ready on my next shot!"

Trusting the bow in her hands, Xenovia fired the next shot once Scarlet had signaled her, immediately breaking into a full sprint, right behind the arrow she had just released. If the Cryers did not break for enough time, she would skid to a stop and try again...
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet gasped through gritted teeth as the almost nauseous pain clenched the muscles in her leg to near spasm. Her blade hacked at the claw that rent her flesh almost before her cry of pain echoed in the hall. She felt a sick pit of dread in her stomach as she realised how impossible this situation was. She would die here, taken apart piece by piece as the Cryers closed the noose. Rage thickened in her chest. The injustice, the futility, all compressed inside her to lend desperation to her fight. She snarled and stepped back, almost stumbling as her leg seized.

This was it, she realised, the fiery crucible that would destroy or define her. She ducked under the sweep of one cryer and thrust upwards, her blade meeting nothing but mist. It was useless.

Suddenly light pierced the shadow, a cry of fear and pain issued from the darkness as the Bane bored a hole through the swirling twisting mass.

"Stay with me, Scarlet!"

Hope?

She clenched her teeth, feeling them creak under the pressure as she forced herself to Xen's side. Adrenaline, fear and rage could fight down the pain for now. She could bleed once they were out of this place. She sucked in a few breaths, hyperventilating against the coming struggle and focused on dodging the attacks she could not stop. It was close work - the knife parrying so close to the body that the Cryer was committed to the attack and she could not stop every one.

"GO!"

She would keep pace, she had to.
Last edited by Scarlet on Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Xenovia released another shot at the whirling mass, causing them to shriek in agony as the whirlwind of darkness split before them. She felt her Inner Animal as the shot released from the string, shrieking out aswell as the energy left her body and entered the Bane. She felt tired but she managed to start a run.

Behind her, Scarlet struggled to follow. Her leg was badly wounded and the Cryers in front might flee, behind them they had the darkness to cower in, lashing out at the bleeding kanthrop, striking at her arms, legs and back as she fled behind Xenovia towards the doorway. Her Inner Animal roared and pushed to the forefront of her concious mind, instinct taking over, making her lash out with her daggers and even bare hands as blue and silver strains of energy started to emerge from her eyes and mouth, shooting out of her fingertips. Her emotions locked, her pain diluted as the pure energy of the beast soared through her bloodstream, light covering her flesh as she felt the animal within taking over.

They had to keep going, they had to. Scarlet started to warp, losing herself to the beast. It urged her now to stand and fight. Xenovia saw the light ripple behind her, knowing know what this meant. Scarlet was starting to warp, meaning the beast was thinking for her now, Scarlet's mind clouded with fear and pain.

And cornered animals do not run...
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia didn't stop. Already she was weary, only just coming to realize that the Bane was drawing its energy from her. Her legs resisted as she broke into a run, darting toward the break in the Cryers' midst. Scarlet knew to follow her, and they would make it. They would be --

She knew that light. No! Not now! Xenovia was both shocked and mortified. Wasn't Scarlet far too young to be warping? If she changed now, it would all be over for the young kit even before she had truly begun.

"Don't lose yourself, Scarlet! If you don't stay with me I will leave you here!"

It was meant to spur her onward, but Xenovia knew her words were true. A selfish beast, Xen would always choose herself over another, kin or no. And had to save the Bane, had to find the other keys. She wasn't going to waste both of their lives just because Scarlet couldn't control herself, regardless of the circumstances. Especially with the exit so near...

She couldn't keep this up. Still running at full speed, Xenovia pulled another arrow from the quiver and roughly took aim at the path before her, waiting for the swarm of Cryers to thicken before she released one more arrow into their midst, lunging through the opening. Escape was within reach. She didn't stop.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Light

It poured out, a cascade of life and vitality that seemed to flow from the very depths of her. She felt like she could burst, as if her lungs could draw no more breath nor her chest contain the swell of her heart. It spilled over her, like a floodgate torn by the rains, and surged through every channel in her body. Her hands shone. Her legs, cut and bloodied by the Cryers pushed hard against the stonework, fuelled by this life arcane.

She felt herself stoop as she took her next step, slowed as if moving against the current. Her claws moved forward to take the next bounding stride. No. Not claws. Hands. She felt herself falling, her hand outstretched, still bathed in light.

It was a fight. A struggle within her own head. The beast was a creature of pure instinct. Savage and primal, a shadow of Scarlet herself, it seized her body and desperately fought to turn and face its threat. Scarlet, her mind numbed by pain and confused by fear, felt little more than shock as she saw the ground rise slowly towards her. The shadows spilled about her, cast into relief by the light pouring from her own body. Ahead Xen strung another arrow and called back, but her words were lost - muffled by the chaos of Scarlet's own head.

Yet there, in the eye of the storm whilst all the world raged around her, she felt the beast pull the strings and her own flesh danced like a marionette.

No puppet am I

Her fist opened as she fell, the dagger falling from her grip as her fingers splayed onto the stone. Her legs pushed with all they had and she tucked her head down into a roll. How far they had to run only the mother knew, but she would honour the life inside her by safeguarding it. Her toes gripped the stone as she stood again, pushing forwards with everything she had. Lend me your strength, and I will guide you.
Last edited by Scarlet on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Another flight breached the darkness, cries echoed throughout the mountains as the two young women breached the gap towards the doorway, which they burst out of with precious little regard for what was behind it. The light blinded them as loose rubble and grit shifted beneath their feet. Scarlet had managed to drag herself out into the light, but the animal within was still clawing towards the surface. Her shift was becoming a reality and as such most of what happened next was lost to her.

Xenovia got out first, feeling the cool air strike her skin, giving her goosebumps in contrast with the heat from running and fighting. She felt burned out, exhausted. The Bane rested in one hand, the quiver of arrows dragging behind her as she nearly leap-rolled out of the portal.

Safety...

The Cryers did not dare come towards them as sunlight was still powerful, it's rays blocking them following the two kanthrop. The screamed and cried, writhing in the darkness of the opening, just beyond immediate reach of the two women.

As her eyes adjusted, she could see where they were. The path had spiraled upward, leaving them high up in the Skymyst. Far higher than they had been before. She could see the entire island from this vantage point. They had ended up on a rather broad ledge, a narrow path winding down opposite the doorway they had just breached. Remains of solid wooden doors rested against the rock face beside it, splintered and cracked apparently some time ago.

She was hurt. Again...Or still? Her back was killing her. She had not fully recovered from the wounds of the previous attack. Adrenalin had kept her going but as that faded away, the pain became obvious. Scarlet was in no condition to go anywhere and she gathered it would take a healthy kanthrop at least a day to get down and back to the village from here.

But...they lived. But the sun was waning in power even though they had altitude and would see more of it, the valley below was already losing light.

OOC: I think it's safe to end the impassable here. Very well played both of you. I would suggest you start a thread on the 27th. You should be able to make it back to the village at late MT, early TT if that is where you choose to go.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

With relief scarlet released control to the beast. It seized her in a way she had never before felt or dreamed of and she felt herself almost washed away in a primal scream. The world became a cacophony of different noises and lights as her senses warped and shifted to that of the beasts. Had she the energy it would have been terrifying.

It took an age for the transformation to finish. Scarlet mewled with pain as her own bones dislocated and shifted within her. The thick fur of the Isle Cat pierced her skin and she almost vomited at the juddering sensation that lengthened her convulsing form. Her wounded limbs spilled blood over the dusky grey of her coat and her claws scraped hard into the grit as she fought to remain standing. She felt her back arch and lengthen. Her clothes fell to the floor, tattered by the body they could no longer contain. In flickers she fell into the dust and rolled as the last vestiges of the transformation took pace. And then, worn beyond all measure of man she passed into blissful unconsciousness.

Looking over, Xen would see that she was not a small beast. Near 4 feet at the shoulder and weighing at least 250lb she was going nowhere fast. The mottled grey of her coat darkened into a black mane that ran the length of her spine, crested at her skull and now obscured the familiar golden eyes that burned so fiercely moments before. Her breathing was steady though, and it did not look as if she would immediately bleed to death from the cuts to her flanks and hindquarters. Not a bad trade for a life.

ooc: phew. Awesome writing by all involved, really worried about reading the last post :D

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xen burst through the opening with a mix of triumph and release, shivering hard as the cold air struck her deathly pale flesh, which was covered in a layer of sweat. She sank to her knees almost immediately, dropping the Bane and the quiver and lowering her head. Her wild hair fell in gnarled curtains around her features, but through a part in the jungle of tresses she could see Scarlet, who followed after her.

Xenovia watched in silent wonder as the young kit transformed. Humorously, she mused in the back of her head how upset Culwago would be that he was no longer the youngest morpher. She would have been glad for the chance to jab at him, were it not for her mood. Xen waited for a few long burns, watching Scarlet change into a large, immovable cat. She didn't even have to glance down at her own slender form to determine there was no way she'd be carrying Scarlet back to the village. Tentatively she leaned forward, a swift toss of her head throwing her hair back so that she could examine Scarlet's unconscious form. As she did so, Xenovia winced and drew her breath in sharply through clenched teeth. Her back was on fire! Sorry, little one, I'm not sure I'll be in top flying condition tomorrow, Xenovia said to her Inner Animal, regret obvious in her tones.

Weakly, but as best she could, Xenovia removed her kanthar and took an arrow from the quiver, looking disdainfully back at the Cryers ere beginning to slice the fabric into long strips. She bound what she could of Scarlet's wounds, having little experience with such things, before she sat back. Nude save for her famirl (which still hung clumsily about her hips), Xenovia moved closer to the panther for warmth. Her golden eyes rested quietly on her bloody hands for a few moments before she began to do something quite uncharacteristic of her.

She cried.

Great big tears welled up in the proud kanthrop's eyes and tumbled down her dirty cheeks, and she was grateful Scarlet wasn't awake to see them. Her body shook gently from the effort of it, and more pain shot through her back, but Xenovia cried anyway. She had almost died, almost let one of her kin die, and might still die on the way back to the village. Mother, did she want to sleep.

Xenovia waited as long as she dared, even after she had finished crying, before fear of the setting sun led her to rouse Scarlet and begin the long trek home.

OOC: Fin? Good fun! You guys are brilliant writers. I'll start the next thread. ;)
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Locked for skilling. See you in the next thread.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Skilled and archived!

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”