Web of Lies - Samheen 26th MT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Web of Lies - Samheen 26th MT

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

OOC: Going very much on the assumption that everything was 'ok' with Souffiane, if not and if this thread causes to many complications, will change it :wink:

IC:

He despised himself.

Guilt and trouble washed over him thick waves, crashing against his conscious and drowing him with indecision.

Ashtallion stood within the small grove of silverbirches where he had first met Gerenor two days previously, his eyes faced the sky and he was lost in thought. A plain, black robe of soft lambswool was hidden very much so under the dark cloak, the hood drawn up over his head. " What do I do? Father, I ask for guidence, if you think this deceptive little mortal deserves it... all the lies, I have always been repulsed by lies, thinking it something beneath an adhiel, beneath me! ", he grew silent as fire entered his words, so angry at himself.

" And now I weave an entire net of lies around myself, around Alu and I. Lustra and Lustros.... ", he stopped himself from snorting in derision. Yet Alu had already blown their cover to that woman, and there was a seed of comtempt towards his sister, though it was still overwhelmed by the love and care he held for her. All I can do is trust her wisdom and judgement, who am I to judge her... especailly after all our yahren apart. Will Falgan have heard of this by now? , worry seeped through the haze of simmering anger.

He and Alustariel had to meet Falgan yesterday, to meet the other members of staff and let them judge whether or not they were worthy of training. Maybe I should go back to him, bare myself and shred the web of lies I hold about myself..... such is more befitting a child of Urdil!

With a heartfilled sigh, Ashtallion left the grove and started to wander the little paths and streets, winding his way back towards the Palace.

They had only just arrived in Kislovan and look at the bother they had themselves in. Was he fretting over this too much? What could they do to him? Ask him to leave Kislovan? But where would he return to..... surely not the Citadel. Darkness clung about that city in a perpetual shroad. Perhaps it was time he stood up for himself as he had done so in the past, be a light in the darkness and rip the shroad down.

I will tell Mage Falgan the truth, and from there I will make my decision depending upon his reaction and that of the other mages. I will not have my name tarnished any further, especially not within the Magical World that I am destined to up in!
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

The wind picked up his hair and tossed it around, playing as if there was no care in the world. The birches picked up on the dance and rustled along in the warm breeze that had followed the rain from the previous days. There was a strange tinge to the air as if a thunderstorm still had to pass. Yet the earth smelled nice and fresh after the showers, granting all green a new shine.

Green.

The prevalent colour of whatever powers Gerenor posessed. It had been hard to speak after their ordeal. People were too anxious to know what had happened, too frightened of the display of raw power. They had been seperated before there was a real chance to talk. Souffiane was transported to the temple and the twins had been released on their word.

There was a distinct chance Falgan would hear of it, of course. As the Royal Battlemage he'd be informed of most displays of heavy magic and the lightning that Alu had somehow conjured up had lit up the sky for miles around. Her untrained magics might have gotten them into this new mess, it was up to them both to solve it.

It could not be a coincidence that a familiar silhouette appeared on the road. Not after what had happened in the last few days. Leaning heavily on his cane the ravenhaired man waited for Ashtallion to pass him. His eyes were cast downwards, his clothes looked like he had slept in them.

"Are we still on speaking terms?" He asked softly, afraid to look the mage in the eyes.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion did not miss the new vibrancy that the earth and trees held about them, instead of questioning it, the adhiel mage merely accepted it. Gerenor, my new friend. What powers do you possess?, but were they still friends? Would they even be quaintances? Perhaps Gerenor held Asht partly to blame for Souffiane's injuries? He would no doubt find out soon.

" Speaking terms, Gerenor? I do not believe we were ever not on speaking terms... ", he had stopped his walking, backtracking to stand infront of Gerenor. The man's eyes were down cast, he would not look at the mage... Asht wanted to reach out a hand and touch his chin, to raise his eyes to the mage's own. But he suppressed the desire, " Look at me, Gerenor. What happened the other day.... I-I'm sorry. I do not know if any of it was my fault, but more so I apologise on behalf of my sister... she is so very new to her craft and has not had proper training. ", neither have you Goldeneye!, he shook off the impromt thought.

" I.. I would still like us to remain friends, Souffiane was close to you, that I understand. ", he paused and licked his lips. " Does she fair any better within the Temple? ", he was itching to ask about the power he weilded, what it was, how he learned it, where he learned it! Again however, the mage hesitated in asking, not wanting to scare his new friend off.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Blue eyes hesitantly sought gold. Hope sparkled, well hidden behind a heavy veil of sorrow. The wind grabbed his cloak and threw it up in the air, giving him the momentary illusion of having wings.

"You...say you are sorry, and yet this was not your wrongdoing." Gerenor replied softly. "As for your sister, who can blame youth for trying what they have had a taste of? Of course, Souffiane will think differently." The last was added with a certain bitterness. "She will live. I do not think she will ever wish to have a mirror close, but she is alive. I cannot thank you enough for your help that day. Without your interference, people might well have panicked enough to just...leave her on the ground."

He extended his hand. "Are you sure you wish to remain friends? It was not...It was not your sisters fault. It was mine." The hand dropped. "I do not speak these words out of a misplaced feeling of guilt or self pity. It is a fact. Your lovely sister merely triggered what is always there...the reason why I stay away from most Adhiel, for they seem to be more magically inclined. When you see her...Alu...will you tell her I regret what happened? Will you tell her that I am truly sorry? If any trouble comes from it, I will stand witness, of course."

A wagon rolled by, avoiding the two on foot with ease. The man on the bench spit on the ground as he passed them. Gerenor winced.

"I fear it will have done nothing for the relations between us and those of human birth." He spoke softly. "It worries me greatly."

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion could see the sorrow lingering in Gerenor's eyes, and his own heart whimpered at the expression the man wore, but no emotion on the surface gave away what his heart was feeling. " I thank the Father that she will live, yet I mourn for the permanent damage done to her. ", but she will live, Alu will not be held for the death of a human!

" Gerenor, we are friends, of that you need have no doubt. I wish to know though, what is the magic you possess... I felt it when you... ", he paused at this, the memory washing over him. ".... touched my arm and bled it into me. I noticed it also when my sisters power went awry and wrapped itself around you. ", he could only assume that it had something to do with his wood crafting perhaps, but made no further guesses, simply waiting for Gerenor to come forth with it. " As for the relations between humans and adhiel. ", Ashtallion cast a glance about the surrounding area, watching for any prying faces, " Do not worry about that for now. What comes will come, and know that I will do everything within my power to settle the matter. I believe I am to train with Mage Falgan in battlemagery, I will have some voice.... I hope. "

The adiel mage could not banish his own worries so easily however, but found himself relaxing the more he was in this man's company. Was it those blue eyes? Some inner strength? Or mere fascination with the unknown power the woodcrafter wielded? Asht did not know, and for now, he was content with not knowing what it was.
Syra

Post by Syra »

So...neutral. So carefully concealed. What are you thinking, friend? Do you despise me as so man others? Does this unknown factor scare you? What if I were to tell you that it did not bleed into you, but rather bled you! What if you knew...that the only reason Souffiane was struck down, was my mere presence?

What would you do if you knew?

Dare I tell you and risk....friendship. What is friendship if there is no trust?

The struggle was visible in the blue eyes as the man stepped aside awkwardly for the approaching wagon. "Master Falgan? Well now, I wonder what he'll say on the matter." Another few steps off the road. "I...wish you would not discuss...what happened..."

A moment of silence and Gerenor shook his head. "Never mind. You should be truthful."

All is lost. They will know. His shoulders sagged. "I will be there if anyone asks. It was not your sister who called down the lightning. It was me. Don't worry, I can't do that just like that...I won't harm you. But use any magic and...it catches. Something...happens. I should really stay away from the center. But..."

Eyes growing darker. "It gets lonely."

As he turned back to the road, the man continued: "Grant me some time to gather my belongings before you speak of this with anyone, please. I will find another place where magic cannot touch me."

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" I would need to understand this magic more before I pass judgement.... you said magic simply attaches itself to you? Then it is hardly your fault for what happened to Souffiane. My sister is the one that started the weaving, your presence was merely a catalyst, one which you do not seem to have a great deal of choice or control over... I may be wrong, but that is the way it sounds to me. ", he stopped and paused for a breath, listening and gathering his own thoughts to form another response.

" Do not leave, Gerenor. ", at this Ashtallion's tone held something different to it, almost a desperation, " You do not need to move. I will use no magic when in your presence.... and... and I have more experience with magic than my sister does, perhaps your own power will not affect me as adversly... I have more control over my sorcery. "

Ashtallion paused for another breath, the fire leaving his words, " Besides. You are not the only one who knows what it is to be lonely, Gerenor. ", rather than heat filling his voice, it was sadness, a crack in the marble exterior of an adhiel.
Syra

Post by Syra »

"Lack of control..." Gerenor mused and nodded. That was it exactly. In this magic filled world there was no place where he would inadvertently affect those around him, possibly killing someone for real in the nearby future. Yet how would he do without people at all? What was the outlet for that cursed magic going to be then? The trees? Animals?

The other man shook his head. "Again my apologies. I do not wish to sound like one needing to be blamed. Your judgement of the situation is fair as far as I can see. I fear many would dare say otherwise, though. Your sister is very brave to have stood by when many another might have run. I take it this runs in your family...because here you are."

There was surprise in the careful voice. "Here you are, asking me not to leave, while we have barely met...under the strangest of circumstances. Here you are, telling me why it migh be safe to meet either way. Here you are...revealing a bit of who truly lies beneath that mask of magic and strength of mind."

This time the warm hand landed on Ashtallion's shoulder instead of clutching the cane. "You are brave, Lustros. Let no one tell you differently."

The ongoing conversation finally disturbed a pair of blackbirds enough that they decided to bail out, singing their indignation at the top of their lungs. Gerenor watched them go, his black hair lifted by another breeze. "Did you know blackbirds always travel in pairs?" He observed, watching the black male and the brown female go. "More birds do that. Sparrows, robins...see one, you see the other. Is this not so with your sister and you?"

He turned back to the mage. "What loneliness is this you speak of, Lustros?" Blue eyes looked at Ashtallion with unveiled questioning.

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The mage watched the blackbirds depart.

He wished he could fly away also sometimes, to be above the world and free from the cares and worries that were so tentively tied to it. " She is brave yes, but perhaps my own is often stubborness mistaken for bravery. ", he tried to smile, but it would not rise on his lips nor touch his eyes, " I ask you to stay, Gerenor, as despite the fact we have spent so little time together... we ,truely, hardly know each other, but you seem a kind soul, a good man, gentle. While you have your secrets, we all have secrets.... ", at this his voice died and a look of such pain and agony filled his golden eyes with an strange intensity.

" I hate lies, Gerenor, I despise deciet and dishonesty. Yet I weave one about myself as I would a spell wrought glamour... I am not as brave as some might think, as you seem to think. Had I been brave I would never have run from away...I would have stayed and fought. But no, like a coward I merely ran... ", he lowered his eyes to the ground, unable now to look at Gerenor, " I am not the man you think I am, Gerenor. And I tell you this now as I do wish to remain friends, good friends if given the chance to get to know each other. "

" My name is not Lustros Goldeneye, and my sister is not Lustra Silverhair...... rediculous name! I am Ashtallion Urdil, and I studied at th University of Magic in the Citadel, my sister is Alustariel. ", he paused a moment, turning his back on Gerenor. Unable to keep his eyes clear, unshed tears blurring his vision. " I fled the Citadel as I thought I was being used as a puppet in some conspiracy. It was I who bested the Ceasar Anochrim in a tournament.... through no sheer skill of mine I can assure you. He was an expert swordsman and I a trainee. But after a blow from me, he then fell ill and passed away soon after. I was interogated, questioned, I suppose threatened. But mainly I was just scared. "

Golden strands of hair stirred listlessly, he rose a hand to his brow and brought it over his face. " Like I said, I hate lies, which is why I tell you this. And I will need to tell others soon... ", he looked off towards the Palace, thinking of Falgan and the Lady Idris.

Ashtallion turned around, " Now you know my name and possibly a little more about me. I am scared and lost. And while I may have my sister, I still am lonely.... you have had someone love you... Souffiane, or so it must have been at one point, and perhaps you loved her. I have never known such.... ", he threw his hands up slightly and barked a laugh, " Seventy eight yahren old, aspiring through the ranks of sorcerous mastery, and yet I am humbled and brought low by the feelings of emptiness that can only be filled by one other person in the whole world.... whom I have yet to come across. "
Syra

Post by Syra »

For a flicker Gerenor followed his friend's gaze. As soon as it turned out to be the same birds he'd mentioned earlier capturing his interest, the blue eyes turned back to Ashtallion. Right now there were more important things than watching the blackbirds fly. This man, this virtual stranger, was asking him to stay where others would probably rather see him go. He was a complication in the ranks of the Adhiel, the anomaly where others preached and excercised such control.

Secrets...yes, we all have secrets...and one of them is staring at me right now. The woodworker felt his heart cringe at the sheer agony in those golden eyes. Nobody deserved to feel like that. Nobody deserved...

And whatever thought was foremost in his mind died when suddenly reality turned out to be not quite as real as he had believed. Names were taken, tears shed, murder mentioned and the death of the Caesar pointed out as the very reason for all this deceit. Everything Gerenor had been told was pulled back and crunched until nothing remained but Ashtallion Urdil, refugee from the Citadel.

He wanted to be angry. He wanted to feel that justified pain at being lied to. He wanted to tell this Ashtallion that if he could not bother starting a friendship on an honest basis, he should not bother at all. He even opened his mouth to tell the mage...but nothing came out.

For he knew lies.
Up close.
Memories of a blond, almost white haired woman, one of those kind humans who did not care for race or backgrounds. One of the few in World's Mouth to accept him for who he was. He never told her why he was with her, never told her he did not love her...for in a way he did. Yet his being with her was one big lie and he found that out as soon as the lovely girl told him that soon there would be the three of them instead of two.

He ran.
Just like Lustros...Ashtallion.

Now how can I hold that against him?

Anger, pain, sadness and finally a reluctant acceptance reflected in his eyes. A hand reached out hesitantly, touching the mage's shoulder in a gesture of comfort. If Ashtallion did not recoil, the grip strengthened and pulled the man in as Gerenor put his arm around him and held him tight, offering a safe haven in a time of pain.

Right now he was prepared to chase everything off that had hurt the man who stood in his embrace. More birds took flight, lifting the shadows from the tree and carrying them away to wherever they went.

This time he did watch them go.

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Arms held him.

His first instinct was to pull away, he did not want this human to see what weakness truely lay in him.

But had he not already laid himself bare before Gerenor? Letting what hid beneath his exterior to show through the cracks that were rapidly increasing over him. So he remained within that embrace, finding solace in the fact that despite his lies, Gerenor was still there. Ashtallion was no fool, well, not entirely, and knew the man would be angry. He himself was angry, but there was no outlet for that anger and it bubbled away within him.

Gerenor was not the man to take his anger out on, the mage wanted to take it out on himself.
Asht closed his eyes, forcing his tears into submission until a more private moment would allow him the time to shed them were no one else could see. After all, he had his limits as to how much weakness he would show and just now he bordered on looking completely foolish if he had not already done so!

" Thank you. ", were the only two words he let slip passed his lips, remainging otherwise in silence.

Within that embrace, Ashtallion felt something else stir inside him, a longing, one he had held for so long. Suffering in silence. Now was not the time, and Gerenor not the person. Pulling from Gerenor, he turned and placed a hand on the man's shoulder. " You have shown me great kindness Gerenor, and although I know you will be angry with me for lying, I cannot blame you for it. I rage at myself for doing it. I pray to the Father that we will become good friends. Perhaps on a clean slate so to speak.... "

" And in future I promise not to be so heavy on you and burden you with all the troubles of this foolish mage. ", he laughed, trying to make the mood somewhat lighter.
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syra

Post by Syra »

There was strength in those arms and hands as they held Ashtallion for a considerable time. The woodcarver could feel the muscles moving beneath his hold. They told him so much more of what the mage was unable to say. There was discomfort, much unspent energy although it was hard to put a name to it. There was warmth and even a moment of comfort when Ashtallion seemed to relax for the merest flickers.

All too soon the mage detached himself again, leaving Gerenor to wonder why breathing was suddenly so hard. He scraped his throat to regain his composure, taking a hold of the cane as it it were a lifesaver.

"Lies..." He managed after swallowing. "It would be unfair to hold against you what you used in self defence. Many more have been dishonest with far less honorable intentions. I am...not angry." A hand ran through his black hair. "I have not withdrawn my friendship and do not intent to do so. As for the future..."

Those blue eyes sought out the mages golden gaze. "You would do well to unburden from time to time. It is no trouble...and you are no fool. You would do better to promise me to simply tell what is on your mind instead of keeping it in fear of burdening me. That is what... friends are for..."

The slightest of hesitation, barely noticeable. Already the woodcarver adjusted his cloak and made ready to be on his way. "I take it you have business to attend to." He stated matter of factly. "Perhaps we could meet again for dinner...unless you are otherwise occupied. Perhaps your sister would like to join?" The latter was added hastily.

I have scared you, have I not? Perhaps the presence of your sister will lighten our meeting sufficient to be able to talk again. I will leave it to your discretion, Ashtallion of the golden eyes. I will not chance a newfound friend so lightly.

[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion nodded, taking in all the woodcrafter said. " I can think of nothing better to do this eveningtide, Gerenor, and I shall ask my sister and see if she fairs well enough to join us. I do not see her declinging the offer though. ", as his gaze drifted to the Palace once more he answered the other query. " Yes, I am going to see Mage Falgan and have a discussion with him, my apprenticeship is not yet entirely steadfast, and plus I must see if he will give Lustr....I mean, Alustariel, tutelage also. "

Taking a step forward, he laid gentle fingers on Gerenor's shoulder, " Again, thank you... I shall see you later. Oh, where shall we meet? "
Syra

Post by Syra »

Relief washed over his face. The invitation was accepted! Whatever had happened, whatever might happen: the first hurdle towards a true friendship had been taken.

No more lies. Gerenor decided. We should treasure what we have, not what we desire.

A jolt through his body when Ashtallion touched his shoulder. Quickly the woodcarver looked down.

Not what we desire...

"If there are no further troubles, we might wish to meet at the Lotus Blossom despite everything. It would be good to show that that particular chapter of problems is closed." He pondered. "Good luck with master Fagan. I understand him to be a strict teacher. I'm looking forward to meeting your sister under more favourable circumstances."

With a curteous bow the woodcarver took his leave, staff meeting the ground with a little more bounce than before.

ooc
The end for now :)
You can start a new thread in the Inn with Alu at any time you guys are free to have another thread going :)

[/size]

Return to “Kislovan Archive”