Pax: Market Day (Chyril 26 TT) - (open)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

“Above ground,” echoed Eron in disbelief before a look of relief washed across his stricken face. Elaine’s words appeared to comfort him but he was clearly still weakening. Kaelara’s glance at the bandage revealed that the blood was still seeping from his wound. The dying man reached out a hand to grip Elaine’s own. “They are in my mind still,” he muttered.

There was still no sign of a healer but after a few more burns, a small human figure pushed her way through the growing crowd. Kaelara would recognise the new arrival as Nyrellon’s assistant, Ines.

“She has sent me,” began the dark-haired girl in a reassuring yet clearly immature voice. She knelt beside Eron placing her hand on his wound. “If Mother and Father join together, perhaps he can be saved. Place your hands on mine.” Ines closed her eyes in silent prayer.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Above ground." Elaine confirmed comfortingly. "There is no place for them here, nor in your mind. Tell them to be on their way. You are above ground now, where the people take care of their own."

As if to reinforce her statement the healer's assistant came around that very moment. The blind woman followed her instructions in so far that she kept one hand to keep Eron soothed, placing the other over Ines' hands. "It is not just the wound, lady." She urged Ines. "What he saw troubles him as well." After that she fell silent, realizing the girl was going into prayer.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

At the girl's appearance, the adhiel's features curled in a brief, welcoming smile. Bowing her head, Kaelara lent her thoughts to prayer as well, though she found herself far too distracted to focus on arranging her mind. The restless crowd, the scent of fresh blood, the men's injuries ... though she prided herself on getting things done she had never been much a nursemaid, and the quiet murmuring of her stomach hinted at a nausea that would be quite inconvenient at this moment.

As such, Kaelara merely continued to crouch, holding the cloth in place, her hand now weighed down by those of Ines and Elaine.
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Guido Cercatoro

Kaelara could see the dark-haired girl frown a little at Elaine’s remarks concerning the wounded man. Ines said nothing but her gaze lingered on the blind achadhiel for a good while before it returned to Eron.

Within a few flickers, the three hands were placed on the wound and the young girl began muttering her prayer. The adhiel knew from her previous prayer with Ines, when the two had sought to aid Nyrellon, that the young girl was a follower of the Father of the Heavens and her mistress a priestess of some standing.

And so it was that adherents of the Father, Mother and Illuminatus joined together to heal the physical wounds and troubled mind of the stricken Eron. As Ines’ prayer grew in intensity, a warm glow washed over the three hands. Elaine heard the call of a bird of prey, perhaps an eagle, filter through into her mind as if the bird was somehow within the healer’s hand; Kaelara saw the bird, somehow soaring across the back of Ines’ hand – the symbol of the Father doing his work. Both the blind singer and the adhiel business woman felt the reassuring and approving presence of their Gods; it was if the three Gods were of One mind in confronting whatever evil lurked in Pax.

The stricken man once again struggled where he lay. Elaine could feel his body begin to thrash as if some deep conflict, even battle, was a work within him. Kaelara saw his eyes fly open and his face alternate between raw pain and wonder. Both could feel the sweat drip from the young healer’s hands as she continued with her prayer. Then, with a cry, her body shuddered and she dropped her hand from the man’s wounds taking Elaine and Kaelara’s hands with it.

It was clear that the wound was healed for there was no blood, only an area of scarred tissue. Eron, however, was still - his face fixed with an expression of delight. The poor man was dead.

“I could not save his body,” said Ines quietly. “To heal his mind required sacrificing his body. Yet, he is better now than he was had I not done this. His mind was in an evil place.” Despite her evident power, the girl looked afraid and there was a nervous tremor in her voice.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

All the strength and faith in the world was not enough to keep this man alive. Elaine knew it as soon as the healer set to work. A choice would have to be made and in all honesty, she believed that the healer had made the right one. It would have been no life to live in a nightmare forever, to be stuck in the darkness.

Words got caught in her throat as a tear escaped her eyes. It was so familiar, being so close to someone's being and having to let them go; feeling so helpless despite the strength of the Mother flowing through her.

And yet, it was not her choice.
Again.

The blind woman nodded at Ines and squeezed her hand. "Thank you for your help. This was not just our choice. It had to be his. And he is safe now. Thank you for bringing him the peace he deserved."

She took a deep breath, trying to stay as calm as she possibly could. It would not do to break down in tears here in front of the healer who had tried her very best. "Rest well, Eron. May your travels bring you around some time again.

May Mother's blessings
May Father's light
Guide your path
And be at your side."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Guido Cercatoro

As Elaine uttered her final blessings to Eron, she sensed that the dead man was finally at peace.

After a short pause, the girl who had just attempted the healing brought her lips close to the achadhiel's ear and whispered a short question.

"Are you the blind singer?" The words bore a degree of urgency in them, interlaced with a litttle anxiety.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

OOC: Trying to forestall a mini time-knot with Kaelara's/Elaine's conversation the following day.

IC: "She is but newly come to Pax, Ines, we shouldn't trouble the lady until she's found her bearings." Kaelara's words emerged from the silence she had delved within, upon Eron's passing, and her words were perhaps a trifle sharp, with the shock of experiencing a departure of life so closely. Her hands had withdrawn slowly from the others as the prayers withdrew, and she wondered, when it was so clear that Illuminatus had answered, how she could feel so bereft as she considered the dead body stretched so still before her.

For the second time in a handful of days, the Adhiel found herself looking into the face of death, and finding nothing but discomfort there.

"The body must be attended to."
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: ok, K, I see what you mean.)

Ines nodded with agreement at Kaelara’s comments. Rising to her feet, the young girl beckoned forward two of the onlookers. “Please help me. I will attend to this man.” Two burly humans took hold of the lifeless body and accompanied the healer away from the scene. Within a few, flickers most of the crowd had drifted away, leaving Kaelara, Elaine and the soldiers to await the return of the party that had entered the tunnels.

(OOC: we can bring this to a conclusion if you both wish?)
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

OOC: (Sounds good, elaine - if you need 1 or 2 PC to PC posts, I'll follow your lead.)

IC: "I hope you will not judge our little city too harshly, Lady." Beginning to straighten, one small, slender-fingered hand brushed against Elaine's, ready to return a grasp if the other needed assistance standing. "A hand up?" The question emerged, perhaps belatedly, the adhiel unused to what courtesies were deemed appropriate to the blind.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
rounding off is fine :)

ic
Elaine had a little trouble focussing on the world around her, yet Kaelara's words came through. "Harshly? With help and healers so readily available? I'd count any city lucky with your presence."

She put on a smile and took the offered hand. There was nothing more she could do here. It was time to wait for Ulder to return and compare notes on what was going on in the tunnels.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: finished here I think)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for the skilling thingy
Guido Cercatoro