Urgent News (Dray and Cragh, Chyril 27th, MT, campsite)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray listens intently and carefully to Raevyn's words. He knew that she cared not for the lives of the youth present, but was probably speaking to protect herself. The guardsman knew that Rae was a highly competent fighter, and if she was worried about the wolves, then it was something to be wary of.

"You seem to know more about the wolves than you have spoken. But, I agree with you in that this place feels similar to Taquar...and Dort for that matter. What corrupted those places has begun its work here. If there are wolves here that hunt as Craghely and I have seen before, then perhaps we could track them back to their origin or den and learn of what is harming the land."

He thought for a moment while looking at the others to see if they had thoughts in regard to the matter.

"Ulder and the others would give us additional fighters that we likely will need. As you know Rae, sometimes a wolf just doesn't die easily."
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

"That is correct, him and his men would prove to be most valuable in that matter," Raevyn answered for all to hear. The truth of the statement however was veiled in the dark priestess' own mind. That truth being that the humans were expendable, and if anyone had to die, it might as well be them.

Her mind went back to Taquar, and the demon hounds that ravaged and killed everything that came across their path. Their destruction was complete. With brutal efficiency the hounds laid waste the inhabitants of the forest and their dwellings. No woman, man, nor child was spared their cruel wrath. Few survived the onslaught. Raevyn went on to say more of what she had heard.

"They gain access nearby, within this very settlement," she said in a tone of voice that was symbolic of her cold nature. "Someone is directing the creatures," she then said although she couldn't be quite sure of the truth of that matter. However logic would suggest that if they were coming through via portals, someone had to be opening them from somewhere.

"I will look further into this myself," the dark adhiel then said. "Whatever I find useful I will share with you Draydis, from there we will make a decision on what plan of action we should take." Once again there was more to it then she was going to reveal. Purposely Raevyn worded what she said the way she did. She would only tell them what she felt that they should know. Even then only if it would be a benefit to her personally. "Until then I do not believe we should act. The situation is too dangerous and were are not familiar with this land."

Raevyn then motioned in the general direction of Draydis' new recruits. "Even with present company, I doubt that they are fully aware of what it is that we may come to face. They know they area, and that is valuable, yet it is not enough."
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Paradis nodded in confirmation to Craghley’s first question. “Yes, Commander Carbonneau arrived here and apparently went straight to see the Provost. The Commander was accompanied by a young woman.” The achadhiel grinned. “They say that the Commander usually has some woman or other in tow.”

“As for the attacks, well they have dropped off a little lately but a guard was killed the night before last. There’s a guard called Helgar who knows about the incident. He was babbling about it in the Gate tavern last even’tide.”

Paradis listened intently to the conversation between Dray and Rae. When there was a lull in the conversation he re-iterated the point he had made previously. “The fact that the wolves only appear to attack Oneist guards would suggest that there is some intelligence behind their attacks. Yet I know no-one who has seen any wolves.”
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The pointed tips of Craghley's ears flickered, one for each conversation. Did it seem strange that Draydis and Raevyn were so cosy with one another now, when they'd been at each other's throats so recently? Perhaps. But it was a good sign, that was for certain; proof that no matter how deep the fractures, a rift may be closed and some degree of modicum returned. Closed how far? Craghley could not say at this point.
He spoke a few words directed to this pair.

"Ay think the risk of mere reconnaissance is minimal, lest we stumble o'er something. I'm not disputing either o' ye about the danger o' the situation; but it may be safe enough and by far more affective to do light information retrieval by oorselves, split up. Then we can pool wha' we ken and decide the next step."

Then he turned back to the youths.

"Thank'ee, Paradis." He's a canny 'un. It'd be bonnie grand tae put him in oor midst.

Otherwise Craghley had nothing more to say, and waited on his superiors and their guests.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

That was an interesting tidbit. It was something that Raevyn most certainly found to be of major interest. The wolves only attacked Oneists. It was interesting indeed. Raevyn's hatred for those that followed the One was one that was deep rooted. The killing of those that followed Dominicus had become almost an obsession for the dark skinned adhiel. Even the blood shed by The Oneists in their defeat in the war was not enough to quench her thirst for Oneist blood.

Raevyn's first thought was that if someone else controlled them, then perhaps so could she. This person, this force behind the wolf attacks had to be found, and whatever it was had to be kept from harm of Draydis and the others. It was tricky situation to be in for Raevyn. On one hand, as an Emerald Guard, her duty was to protect. It was something that she had done for the past few yahren.

However this... this was too good. It was what she wanted. Power. What better way for her to help spread her religion, the worship of Anasati than by having the power of these wolves at her command. Even if Draydis himself, who was a follower of the crone, he couldn't, wouldn't possibly allow the destructive force of these creatures to be used by anyone, especially Raevyn. He would have them destroyed if possible, and Raevyn couldn't let that happen.

It was then that Raevyn decided that the other information she had received from Melissa was to be kept to herself. She wasn't going to tell Draydis or the others about the man that was attacked in the portal like she was originally going to do. No, that had to information that mustn't be shared. She had to go back to Melissa and tell her thus.

Oh Melissa, how precious you have become.

The tavern wench was now quite the commodity for Raevyn. Too valuable to let go just yet. She had to get Melissa to keep quiet about this situation from the others. There was two ways that Raevyn saw to go about it. She could either pay Melissa to work for her, and her alone. Or she could kill her. What a waste that would be. Killing her really wasn't a viable option however. Raevyn did need her.

"Very well," Raevyn said. Her tone was agreeable was one that showed her agreement with what Craghley had said. Then she turned to Draydis.

"If it is ok with you. I would go to the Inn myself to see what information if any I can find. That allows you sir, and the others to gather information elsewhere."

Her head was spinning yet she kept her composure in front of the others.

"Perhaps Commander," she then said continuing to address Draydis, "Perhaps Craghley here can see if he can find this Helgar that the youth speaks of. You can take the recruits and venture in the outlying areas to see if there is anything else we can use that will benefit us."

Her manipulative mind was racing. Getting Draydis and the others out of the way would give her the time she needed to talk to Melissa. Keeping Craghley somewhat close would allow her to keep an eye on him if he got too close to Melissa, while making seem like she was still trying to work together with the rest of them. She added more to her ruse.

"Besides with our strained relations with Ulder and his men, the more information we have to share with them. The better our chances are of securing their assistance in this matter."
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis nodded at each of their words. He knew that Rae was not telling everything, as that was her nature. But, it was better to keep an enemy close where at least a bit of an eye could be kept on her. He hoped that if it came down to a dire situation that Raevyn could be counted on as an ally, but Dray knew that was a longshot. Raevyn was in it for herself. That much had been clear from the day he first met her.

"Agreed. Rae, you go search for your information, and the rest of us will pay a visit to Helgar. If anybody is up for a walk about the outlying areas, I will also scout a wide perimeter around the town. I want to find out if the Mother has stronger powers in some places than others. If we can find where Her power is at the weakest, then it would make sense that our enemy would be strongest there."

If nobody had anything further, it was time to break camp and begin their work...

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

None of the young achadhiel's had any more useful information. Paradis and Calavis readily agreed to accompany Draydis but the other two youths had jobs to attend to and made their excuses, promising to be available should the need arise.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

That was too easy. So easy that Raevyn felt a bit uneasy about how readily Draydis had granted her desire. It was doubtful that Draydis fully trusted her. Despite how many times they've fought together, and the one time she had actually saved his life, she knew deep down, that his trust in her was a shallow one.

I wonder what he is up to she found herself thinking silently to herself as she rose to her feet. One thing that the dark adhiel had come to know about Draydis was that nothing was ever that simple with him. Raevyn knew that she would have to be on her guard involving this matter.

The assassin's time was limited however, and she couldn't spare a flicker to concern herself with whatever it was that he was plotting. Time was in fact, of the essence, and she needed to get to Melissa before the rest did. Yet on the same accord, Raevyn couldn't allow herself to be seen as too eager to act. That would certainly be a cause for Draydis, or the rest to try to follow her or meddle in the dark priestess' affairs.

Raevyn took three steps that she had decided to take before stopping to pause. A casual delay to hopefully make it appear that she wasn't in a hurry at all. Then she spoke again to the Guard Commander in the form of a question.

"Where shall we all meet up," she queried. "At the inn or here at the campsite," she then added. "Also what mark do you think will be appropriate?" Now she felt as if she was being too nice, which would definitely lead one to believe that there was more going on for her than she was letting be known. It was awkward for a moment, but luckily for her, she could turn cold in the blink of an eye which would hopefully get rid of any concern on the part of the rest.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"I will let you know after we're done with our parts, Raevyn, as I do not know how long it will take. That all depends on what we find and what we do not find."

He purposefully left it vague. Raevyn was asking far too many questions and being far too nice. She was up to something.

The Guard commander began to question his decision to allow her to stay in the guard. Raevyn was indeed a liability and one that could never be trusted. In time she would probably be removed, as Dray knew that she would never truly changer her ways and be honest with him.

If she could be honest...that was all he asked of her. But, some stripes just couldn't ever change.

Regardless, it was fun at the moment to make her think he was up to more than he was. He simply wanted to go scout and find the source of the corruption in these lands. He had a plan of how he could do just that.

"It will be easy to find you, Raevyn. It's not a big town, and there are eyes everywhere."

He gave her a smile. He meant only that she stood out in nearly every community due to her appearance and mannerisms. It was worse here due to the spectacle that she had caused at the portal.

Of course, she would be free to interpret it any other way...

DMD Member since 2005
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"With yer permission, sir, Ay hope tae restock my supplies. We've used a large number o' my healing stock, and some o' the more potent items, too. Might Ay try an' see wha the local merchants ken while Ay'm about it? We may need a full stock o' such supplies in the times tae come."

He still thought it was safe enough for each to go their own way. Maybe it was just that, or maybe he just didn't feel comfortable with a reconnaissance effort directed by Raevyn. Given time to see her perform Craghley might learn to trust her, but with the undercurrents of the conversation between Draydis and her - even though the general agreed to the plan - things were uneasy.

"Ay imagine if I dae that, Calavis and Paradis might be better off wi' ane o' ye. Should'nae take me tae long."
Guido Cercatoro

Two of the achadhiels bade farewell to their companions. Paradis and Calavis remained, awaiting instructions from Draydis.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: finished I presume? If so, i will lock for archiving etc.)
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

OOC: For some reason, I never get emails anymore telling me that there are replies on my threads. I haven't been on here forever because I thought the thread had died.

Can we start a new thread for Dray to take the two kids exploring?

Thanks!

DMD Member since 2005
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: you can continue here if you want as no new threads are allowed now prior to the recess. If the watching topic option isn't working for you, you could try a query in the technical forum or check your e-mail address is up to date)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling as agreed
Guido Cercatoro

archived and skilled

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”