What grows in the Abyss [Chyril 22nd TT]

Moderator: Mods

Eivlys
Civus

What grows in the Abyss [Chyril 22nd TT]

Post by Eivlys »

The sounds of the fires were mixed with the cries of the tortured. Black stone with black wood and black metal, the only difference was the way the light played off the surfaces. The place was a place of damnation, of pain, and of despair, so deep and so dark not even hope was supposed to grow here, just dark things, like mushrooms and mold, things that live off the death of others.

She stood in the room, looking at the table and the chairs, none of them designed for comfort from the blood tipped spikes and blood coated cuffs and shackles. The floor was warm on her bare feet, but the room had a coolness that was sharp and would cut through the flesh right to the bone. The door to the room was thick and tall, twice the size a human would need, with bolts as big as a human wrist held the massive thing to the wall.

Grating in the floor looked down to firelights, and in the firelight she could see others, balled up and weeping, or rolling and writhing, or just limp as if dead, but she knew, no one died here. Death was not a gift of this place, this place only knew pain. The whimpering and moaning drifting up from the grating like the smoke from the fires was evidence of that.

She knew this place, she had been her, no physically, but in her heart. She knew this despair well, and she had always fought against it. Her music was her weapon, when she felt this dark and this deep in the mire of sorrow, she would sing.

The wings on her back flickered in and out; she was wearing a gown of silvery gossamer like cloth. Her hair was down, and hung loose behind her. She normally did not dress in such a way, not such a plain strait dress anyway. She cleared her thoat and took a step, inspecting the room. She did not dare touch anything, it all looked as if it was ready to bite her, hungry for blood.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

In her nightmares, she was running toward him, trying to get to him before it was too late. Only, she already knew it was too late. She'd seen him struck down, crushed by the massive tree that had come alive, by the creature that shouldn't have been able to move so fast. The man who was so strong, so intelligent and brave, the man she loved... crushed in one horrible instant. And yet she ran for him, despite the danger of being killed herself, despite the fact that she knew the truth... because he was all she had.

But suddenly, a black wall rose out of the ground in front of her, so close and so fast that she actually smacked into it before she could slide to a stop. She turned, thinking to go around it, but instead, she saw that she was in a narrow hall, with walls on two sides, a massive door on a third, and nothing but darkness on the fourth.

She was at once both numbingly cold, and far too hot. She shivered but sweat ran down her forehead, matting her dark red hair to her cheeks and neck as she hugged herself, arms crossed over her breasts. She didn't like the way the dark corridor looked. Anything could come out of that blackness and attack her. She needed to find a way out of this place, so she could continue running toward her fallen love. That left the door.

She stepped toward it. The door handle was huge, set almost at head height for her. She reached up and pushed the lever, and the door started to swing open slowly, groaning ominously on its hinges...
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She started to hum, something small and simple, just to cut back at the tear ridden sounds of the prison. It helped, a little, the sound of her own song filled her head as she moved between the devices used to draw pain from the body, and all of them looked as if great time and effort was put into them. It made her wonder what sort of mind worked so hard to contrive such things. What hands could build such things and then think they were guiltless of the pain and death they caused.

These thoughts were all brushed away as the door started to sing a song of its own. The groaning and aching of the hinges sounded as if even the door was in pain, as if the whole place suffered. Her song stopped, and she watched the door open. The thoughts she had of the creators of these devices went away and were replaced with the thoughts of those who would put them to use. She could not see how any human or natural creature could use such a thing. No, the operator of these devices had to be a creature of evil blood, bred from the shadows and from the pain.

She expected a demon, or something equally as impressive or dangerous. What was there was a woman, matted red hair, it gave her a shock for a moment because she thought it was blood, but on second look, she was relieved to see it was just the woman brilliant mane. She was wearing black leather pants and top, but this would not have made her be mistaken for anything but a woman. She might have been any woman; she was just as lovely as any other she had met and in a way, and it made Eivlys comfortable.

If she had been too lovely, she might have mistaken her for some evil seductress, if she was too ugly, she may have been a hag. No, she was just right, and this made her feel at ease. Eivlys had met many pretty people, you had to be pretty to sing and perform for others. Most of these people were not as pretty when you got to know them.

“Hello.” She said to the woman standing in the doorway. She focused a little harder to make sure the wings were hidden and her dress a little more modest. “Do you know the way out?” She would have started to leave earlier, but she did not think the door was unlocked.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber slipped quietly into the room, starting to scan it carefully to see what might be lurking there. But a voice spoke before she saw the other person that was already there. She gasped and nearly shrieked in surprise at the sound of her simple greeting. For a moment, she just stared at Eivlys, as if wondering if she were real or part of her nightmare. Finally, she seemed to decide the later.

"H-hello," she replied, a little less confidently. She took a few steps closer, but remained a good distance away. The other woman looked pretty and pleasant enough, but this WAS a nightmare after all. Even the most beautiful things had a nasty way of turning against her in such circumstances. Her eyes mostly remained on Eivlys, but every now and then, they would dart away to examine other parts of the room, and lingered on the instruments of pain and torture with obvious unease.

"Actually," she said finally, "I was kinda hoping that YOU would know the way out of here. I... I just appeared here, out in the hall. What are you doing here?"
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

There was a long sad moan off in the distance. Eivlys could not help but feel for the being that made the noise. “I do not know what has brought me here. I suppose this kind of place likes to trap people.” She looked at Amber, a little more hope in her eye now that she met someone. “I guess we both need to find a way out.”

She slipped her slim body around the devices of pain and offered her hand to Amber. “I am Eivlys.” She smiled warmly, she had found this was always best to be nice, even people who wanted to hurt you reacted well to good manners. It was as if they were forced to by some part of their mind, their mother sitting in the back of their head wagging a finger for them to behave. It worked most of the time, there was the odd person it did not work on.

In the distance there was a clicking and clanking in the hallway, like steel slapping on stone and the ringing of tiny bells, or keys on a key ring, or even metal chain mail. She could see anything in the darkness behind Amber. “I do not think we are alone here, perhaps we should shut the door?”
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber glanced over her shoulder as sounds came from the darkness behind her. From the look on the other woman's face, she heard it as well. She nodded quickly, and started for the door to shut. "Yes, I think that would be a very good idea," she said. She started to shove it close, but it moved slowly - just like it should in a nightmare. "Help me!" she called to the other.

She didn't really expect her to help. After all, she still thought she was part of the dream. She figured she'd just stand there and laugh at her futile efforts while whatever it was got closer and closer to send her to some sort of horrible doom.

Her feet slid along the stone floor, lacking purchase, as she struggled to push the massive door closed again.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

Wasting no time she rushed over to help her shut the door. It felt as if she was trying to slide a mountain. Pushing hard next to the other woman, the door slowly started to creak shut. The floor was slick as ice but warm on her bare feet.

The sound of the clicking and jiggling was coming closer as the door started to near shutting. Fear shot through Eivlys, fear she had not felt in a long time. Who was this thing, or what was it? The thought of the cage she woke in came back to her, naked and exposed the shame and fear washed over her anew. The jiggling was mixed with what sounded like a groan of what might have been pleasure.

The door was slowly starting to shut. “We have to close it.” She whispered to Amber, fear evident on her face. “We cannot let it in.”
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

"I know, I know!" Amber all but screamed as she shoved against the door with all her might. Sweat started running down her face and her legs ached as she threw every last ounce of strength that she had into closing the door. It was closing, but oh so slowly. "CLOSE, DAMN YOU!!!" she shrieked.

As if convinced by her command, the door suddenly closed the last few feet and latched with a thundering boom. The sounds that had been approaching in the corridor were silent, and the two women were suddenly blanketed in stifling silence.

Amber collapsed against the door, panting quietly. "Well..." she breathed, "now what? I think we just trapped ourselves in here..."
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She pressed her back to the door and slid down, pulling her knees up to her chest. Her breath was hard and fast as she looked around the black room. “Well, I guess we try to find another way out.” She looked at Amber. “This place cannot hold us, not together.” She slowed her breathing and held out her hand. “Thank you for coming and for shutting the door.”

Suddenly there was a crash against the door, slamming and thudding that made the young girl jump from her place and spin moving close to hold onto Amber, looking at the door. What ever was on the other side wanted in. Eivlys started to hum; she had to sing, to keep the fear at bay, to keep it from paralyzing her. She hummed a song her mother used to sing when she would be afraid in the dark, a soft and calming song. As she hummed the pounding stopped.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber reached out to take Eivlys' hand, but as she did, something smashed against the door. She jumped to her feet and spun around with the other girl, unwittingly grabbing onto her just as Eivlys did the same. She regarded the door with wide eyes, and started looking around the room desperately for another way out. She couldn't see anything. She was near panic.

But as Eivlys started humming and the crashing stopped, she felt her own fear eased a bit. She was still afraid, but at least she didn't feel like her heart was starting to pound through her chest anymore. She suddenly realized she was clinging to her like a frightened cat, and slowly let go. "How... how did you do that?"
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

The pounding stopped, and it was silent. She felt Amber pulling away and released her own hold. She did not really want to, it felt nice to have someone to cling too, particularly in this dark place. It was only proper though, she hardly knew the woman and she could not just cling to some stranger.

“I do not know that I did that.” She said softly, still watching the door. “Do you think it will be back?” Of course it was going to be back, Eivlys knew it would be, but it was a matter of when. Trouble always had a way of coming back around. “I am sorry you have to share this fate with me.” She whispered. “It is my curse you know.” She was mumbling, she knew, but her mind was looking back to a night long ago around a strange fire, and a choice she had to make. She made the choice, and perhaps this was part of that curse, to know this darkness, to know this hopelessness, but it was also to know great glory.

The slim woman did not stand put for long. She moved to one of the grating on the floor and grabbed at it, pulling. “Perhaps we could get one of these to move, we could find another way out.” She looked up at her companion in this hell. "I am not going to die here, I will not let this place crush me, and you should not either."
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber looked back to the door for a moment. "Yes, I think it will be back, and probably soon. Getting rid of something like that is never this easy." She knew that from experience.

She looked back at Eivlys wonderingly. The other girl had said she didn't think she had anything to do with making whatever it was on the other side of that door go away, but Amber wasn't so sure. There was something about her... something that wasn't quite like other women. She didn't know what though. And there was no time to find out just yet.

Her eyes left Eivlys and glanced quickly around the room again. There was still no obvious sign of a way out. But the grates... there might be something beneath them. She moved over to help Eivlys, lending her strength to try to pull one of them up. It was forbiddingly heavy, but as she strained, the metal screeched a bit, and the grate started to lift. She gritted her teeth and pulled harder.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

Evilys could feel her fingers burning with pain as she lifted the metal. It felt as if the grating would slice right through her fingers. Finally it started to move, lifting just enough to slide it to the side. The metal scraping the stone sounded like a wail of pain.

As she looked into the hole, she paused. There was black, but lights that moved and flickered. She could not make out any detail, it all seemed so no corporeal, as if what was down in the darkness and flickering lights had no real shape or substance.

Suddenly the door rattled, and the sound of something fitting into a key hole could be heard. There was a click as tumblers were put in place and the door started to open. She had to choose, should she face what was coming in the door, or the dark unknown below.

She wished she had a knife or something.

She reached out for Amber. “We will go together.” She said, offering to enter the hole with her. They did not know how far the drop was, or what would be at the bottom.

She also looked at the door, letting her know she would flee or fight with her friend.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber swallowed nervously as she looked down into the dark hole and the indistinguishable lights and forms that moved within it. How far down they were, she had no idea. This place was getting worse and worse by the moment: an unknown horror beyond the door, and and unknown drop into... the unknown. If only she could find something definable, visible in this horrible place, it would be better.

Then she realized that she already had something like that. Her gaze lifted and met Eivlys'. She was no longer suspicious of the other girl, no longer thought that she might be some sort of demon in disguise. If she was something other than a friend, well, she'd have to worry about that later.

She gasped as she heard the lock on the door opening behind them. She didn't even look at it. She knew what they had to do now. She took hold of Eivlys' hand tightly. "All right, together," she agreed breathlessly. "Let's go."

Gritting her teeth, she jumped.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She did not just hold her hand, but pulled Amber close to her in an embrace as they jumped. Once in the hold she lifted her wings, they had simply appeared here. The white wings opened and started to beat at the air in the darkness as they dropped. She had never carried another person; her wings were not use to the extra weight.

“Hold on tight.” She whispered in her ear as they slowed a little in the fall.

She did not expect the landing to be in a liquid. They plunged into a dark water, she hoped it was water. It was warm, and when she came to the surface her wings folded tight to her back, and she could feel it had a slightly oily feel to it. She looked up and could see the grating was being slid back over the hole. “Are you alright?” She asked, looking at Amber with deep concern. She hoped she had slowed the fall enough to keep her from getting hurt.

Things bobbed and floated in this pool, and she was glad she could not tell exactly what they were. “I guess I should explain. I am not a human; I was born one, but… I am a swanmaid.” She told her. “My mother was one, and so, I am, it is the way of the curse.” The wings fluttered slightly on her back.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber was grateful for Eivlys' closeness as they plunged together into the hole. She held on to the other girl as tightly as she could, squeezing her eyes shut. But then, as she felt something abruptly slow their fall, she opened them, and looked up in wonder as white wings spread gracefully from the back of her companion. She opened her mouth in a gasp of surprise, only to have it filled with the foul tasting liquid as they fell into it.

She kicked and struggled back to the surface, spluttering and gasping as she flounder for a moment. She kicked off her boots so that she could use her feet better, hoping she wouldn't need them later on. She swam closer to Eivlys, dividing her attention between their dark surroundings and the girl's explanation of her wings.

"A swanmaiden?" she echoed in wonder. "I have heard of them before, but I've never seen one. I thought that they were just a story. But you... you're real... or... I thought this was a dream..." She coughed as more water got into her mouth. She was not a very good swimmer, and she was starting to tire already. Her efforts to stay afloat were clumsy and only partially effective. Her soaked clothes clung to her skin, making it even harder for her to stay above the surface. "We need to get out of this," she gasped. "I can barely swim!"

She tried to wriggle out of the vest that covered her shirt, but she only managed to get one arm tangled in it, and another swallow of water sent her into a coughing fit.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

Eivlys ducked under the water, she hoped it was water, and helped her get out of the heavy clothing. Her wings pulled tight to her back to keep her from just floating right to the surface. She could not see under the depths, and she had to trust her hands to find the right place on the struggling woman. She would surface and make sure she had a grip on the clothing, then dive and help her tug it off.

While they floundered and splashed in the water, she tried to keep her from going under, and kicked with her legs looking for someplace shallower.

Soon she felt something under her feet, it was cold stone. The edge of the water was found at a cold pale stone shore.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Needless to say, under normal circumstances, Amber would have felt more than a bit uncomfortable having another woman help her strip out of her clothes. But right now, she was more concerned about staying afloat and not drowning. Her clothes were simply making her inability to swim that much worse, and they had to go. Being naked didn't solve the problem, but it did help, and as her clothes disappeared into the dark water, she managed to gasp out a thanks to Eivlys.

She felt the stone beneath them with her bare feet just moments after the other girl did. She sighed gratefully as she stood with the water lapping about her bare shoulders, and tried to peer ahead onto the cold stone shore. There was nothing to see but the shadows of stone and more darkness.

"I may have said this before," she murmured to Eivlys, "but I really don't like this place."

Hoping the air was not as cold as it felt it might be, she waded out of the water, shivering a bit as her wet, naked skin was exposed. Thankful that her companion was at least another girl, she slicked her soaked red hair back over her shoulders, and reached a hand out to Eivlys, to help her up onto the unforgiving stones of the shore.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

Her own white dress clung to her, the material useless at keeping her body warm or covered. She smiled at Amber. “You should not hate this place. Even the loathing of it will feed it power. You should seek something better. Think of the things you love, and know they will return to you.” She took hold of Amber’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

The water has to feed out to someplace, she reasoned, they just need to find where.

She sat on the shore, reaching down to pull off the white dress, struggling as her wings caught the material. She shifted and stood, the dress not quite getting off.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber squeezed her newfound friend's hand in return, glad for the reassurance, and hoping to offer some of her own as well. She didn't understand the swanmaiden's words, but at this point, she didn't much care. It was the sentiment behind them that mattered the most. She tried to think of the things she loved - her parents and brothers, the farm she'd grown up on, the forests she'd played in, Gavin - but as expected, nothing really changed. It was disappointing, but not surprising.

She saw Eivlys struggling with her soaked dress, and moved to help her pull it off, gently guiding the clinging fabric over her wings and away from her body. It was thin, so it wouldn't take long to dry, and after she wrung some of the water out of it, she rolled it up carefully and handed it back to the other girl. "Just in case you want it later," she explained with a smile. "So... now we're both naked, alone in a dark, strange place, with some sort of horrible creature somewhere above us. I'm wondering how much better things can get," she said with a grin, indicating that she was trying to lighten the mood a bit.
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

Tucking the clothing under one arm she smiled. “Thank you, I might, or you. I can always change to a swan to hide… well, it is not improper for a swan to be naked.” She paused a moment and laughed at the thought. “I wonder why it is so with humans. Why do we feel we need to hide what we look like without clothing?” She shrugged at the thought. Her heart going lighter the less she let the place oppress her.

She sat down next to Amber, drawing closer to her for warmth. “Well, if I have to be naked, at least I am not naked and alone.” She looked at the naked body of Amber, she could not see much in the darkness, so what was the shame really. As she snuggled a bit closer, she could feel her warmth, and her shivering. She could not let this woman die like the last human she met. She needed to get her dry and warm.

“We may be able to find a way out, if we swim.” She looked at her companion. “I could become a swan and you could hang on.” The offer was simple enough, if Amber could not swim, she could swim for her.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

At first, Amber was a little uncomfortable as Eivlys sat down next to her and pressed close, with nothing separating their naked bodies from each other. But then, she thought about the Swanmaiden's words, and about their situation, and it didn't seem so bad. The other girl was shivering, and her own teeth were chattering as her skin dried in the chilly air. She slid an arm around Eivlys' shoulders and pulled her close, and a small corner of her mind marveled and how smooth and fair the maiden's skin was. How beautiful she was, even in the darkness.

She pondered Eivlys' suggest, and looked doubtful. "Yes, we might find a way out," she murmured. She kept her voice soft, for her lips were already close to the other girls' ear, and there was no need to let her voice echo about in the void, so that something else might be able to hear them. "But we might also simply swim out into the darkness and never find dry land again. We could be out there forever, and - no offense - I don't think even a swan can swim forever, especially if you're keeping me afloat."

She sighed, and shrugged. "It's up to you... if you think we should, I'll go with you. But maybe we should explore this dry land, too. Maybe we'll find something here, first."
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

The lips that brushed her ear was an exciting feeling, she was a little ashamed of enjoying it so much. She almost forgot to listen as her mind focused on the sensation of her breath on her skin. “Yes, ok, if you wish, we can check the land first.” She replied. She wondered if she could swim forever, perhaps she could.

“I have been here once. I was caught by a menagerie, and kept in a cage. It was like this.” She paused, standing to look around. “Inside me, it was like this. All hope and all vision of a bright future was trying to be crushed.” She turned and smiled at Amber. “But you cannot forget, the reason it must be so dark is because the power our hope has.”

She needed a light, she needed to see, but first she needed to hope that she would see again. “Come, I am sure we will find something, there are lights in the distance.”
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber understood a bit of what Eivlys was talking about, but only a bit. Sometimes, back when she'd been stuck on her family's farm, she had felt that her own future was going to be bleak and boring. But it was nowhere near as bad as being held against her will, so she realized that she had a lot more to understand about the Swanmaiden that was quickly becoming her friend, than she already did.

She stood next to her, and this time, she seemed to forget completely about her lack of clothing. She was becoming more and more comfortable with Eivlys, regarding her more as a friend, rather than some spectre from this dark, dream-like land. "Yes, we'll find something," she echoed hopefully. Her eyes strained to see something in the darkness. "I don't see any lights. Where do you see them?"
Eivlys
Civus

Post by Eivlys »

She took Amber’s hand and started to walk, looking at the pin prick of light off in the distance. “See it, over there, come.” She started walking slowly, letting her feet get the feel of the ground. She held the rolled up dress under her arm tightly, it was getting colder as it sat out in the air.

The Swanmaid’s wing wrapped around Amber to pull her closer as they walked. “Where are you from?” She asked as they walked. “If you do not mind me getting to know you a bit more?” She took a moment to look at Amber and the small light they had helped to let her see the shape and figure of the naked woman with her. She had seen other women naked before, and even other men at the bath houses, but having her this close was different, exciting and yet frightening.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”