[Chyril 26th] Tsunami

Moderator: Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

[Chyril 26th] Tsunami

Post by Yin Lorin »

The mists covered the river and the valley below. Yin had been here before, but again it all seemed so new. The place he was looking down into was Pax, the mist covered though, and just past the mist was the trees of the elf forest. The Paladin stood in his armor, white and silver and gold, except for his right bracer, a crimson hand wrapped around that bracer. The air was cold, a chill that easily made armor uncomfortable. His tabard with the eye of the One did little to warm him.

He stood on a hill looking down into the mist and he did not know why. Pax was an unknown place, he had not been there in ages. What had become of this place of sin and pagan faiths? Storm clouds still loomed over the land, like in the dream Miri had told him about.

Behind him stood the temple of the One, the Basilica from King’s Court, standing out in this field of grass. Blood dripped from the silver gates, blood he would have to claim as his own doing.

Perhaps this was the place the storm would rain blood?
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

Trajan shook himself violently. He was standing on the Wall again. “What?” He wondered silently, but the thought seemed oddly ephemeral, distant. He was standing in a familiar place on the Wall. Wearing his armor, and his uniform. All comfortable, familiar. His heater was strapped to his arm, and his other hand gripped the haft of spear comfortably. That he was fairly certain he should have been asleep in his bunk was of little consequence.

What was of consequence, was the cold, and the fog. A feeling of skin crawling clammy dread settled around his shoulders with terrible inevitability. Suddenly the urge to move was overwhelming, but the impulse passed shortly, for if he was asleep in his bunk, he had nothing to fear, and if he were awake, then the worst that could happen was that he would die. And while Trajan Aeneas had to admit that he would rather not die, he had faced it before and did not particularly fear it. The fog around him was thick and nearly impenetrable. And as such he could see scarcely any distance, and shortly gave up on looking about, and with no real logical explanation for it, he looked up, and was taken aback by what he beheld.

A hill, which shouldn't have been, nevertheless was and resist even the most stringent attempts to disbelieve. After giving himself a headache trying to shake the image from his mind, Trajan focused on it, and saw it for the first time. A figure stood on the hill. Clad in gold and silver and white it stood, a single slash of crimson stark against the monochrome brilliance. Blinking, and feeling somewhat foolish, the Pax Honestus Legionairre called out to the figure, scarcely expecting it to respond. And when it did, in a clear but distinctly human voice, he could have been knocked from the wall by a bit of down.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The paladin stood before the gates of the Basilica looking down at the grey fog. A voice called up and Yin could make some words calling to him. “Come up, come up to the temple.” Yin called back to the voice.

The fog lay still where the voice came from, covering all the land under it. Yin considered what may be in the fog, but a part of him knew it was not a good place. Here in the light he could see and be seen, in the fog.

“Come out of the fog, so I can see you.” he called again.

Civus

"Come up, come up to the Temple." A voice said, "Come out of the fog so I can see you." Trajan was stunned. What manner of sorcery was it, that create a hill where non existed? Created a 'temple' of light, and a radiant guardian to match? He strained his eyes to get a closer look, though the light from both Temple and Guardian were fierce and hurt to look into. At first, there was nothing to be seen, and then suddenly, the Eye of the One appeared, etched in light so bright in obscured the building behind it and blurred the figure of the Guardian to a mere smudge of darkness. Suddenly, the clammy dread which had gripped him lifted, "Dominicus!" He cried aloud, joy ringing in his exclamation. Did this mean he was dead? Had his injuries been so grevious that he had succumbed to them?

What care was that now? He decided for his heart, so long gripped by an ache of loss and held prisoner by despair, soared now, filled full to bursting with the love of his God, and he found himself striding up through the air toward the Temple and it's Guardian. For a moment, the fog was so thick around him, he almost feared he had gotten turned and would be lost, but the light shown ahead and so he forged on, until at last he burst through it and into a world bathed in radiance. Tears he hadn't realized he was crying ran down his cheeks in rivers. His heater, slid from his arm and clatter against nothing, and lay on the fog, forgotten. similarily his spear fell from limp fingers and came to rest, impossibly on the fog. Trajan pushed his helmet back off his face and let it fall down his back, to bounce away, ringing as if it had hit cobblestone. He fell to his knees, and lifted his hands beseechingly to the Guardian.

"What be yee?" He pleaded. "Angel? Come to recieve me to Dominiscus? Or are you the One Himself? Speak! And if yee be Daemon or Faerie pray thee, toy with me no more but slay me for this is the cruelest jest!" Trajan Aeneas knelt, weaponless, and vulnerable, his chest and neck exposed by his upraised arms, waiting, not breathing for the creature to pronounce his judgement.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Looking at the man now kneeling before him, Yin was a bit perplexed. “I am not the One, nor one of His angels, but I am one of his servants. I am Yin Lorin, Paladin of the Order of the One.” He told him holding out a hand to him to help him stand. “You have come up out of the fog of sin and ignorance. You have come to his temple and the alter of his truth. What is your name?” Yin asked helping him to his feet.

Yin was young, only in his 16th or 17th yahren of life. He was a good head shorter then Trajan. His blond hair was only slightly kept, it seemed to have a mind of its own. He was only starting to get a little stubble on his chin and his eyes held a sort of innocence to them. He smiled a smile that was slightly to large for the face it was on.

Civus

“I am not the One, nor one of His angels, but I am one of his servants. The man, held out a hand and Trajan grabbed hold of it with zeal, clamping his broad thick fingers around the fellows wrist with all of his strength, both for the support he offered, and to reassure himself that this vision was real. I am Yin Lorin, Paladin of the Order of the One.”

Paladin? Trajan had read of such, but had scarcely believed, after all books are not always as reliable as one would like, but if this was real, and the arm he had clasped had certainly felt solid enough, the armor warm to the touch... “You have come up out of the fog of sin and ignorance. You have come to his temple and the alter of his truth. What is your name?” The figure, the man, the Paladin, pulled Trajan to his feet as he finished speaking, and the guard quickly released his grip, realizing with embarrassment how he had been clinging to it like a child might his mothers apron strings. The Paladin said no word, more, simply stood, watching him, and suddenly Trajan felt terrifically naked, and knelt once more, never taking his eyes from those of the other, but all the same hurriedly gathering his things. His shield and spear and helm which he had discarded in a moment of unguarded vulnerability, he now gathered up hurriedly, and rearmed himself, surreptitiously dashing the unspent tears from his eyes and scrubbing at his cheeks with his hands.

Fool! He castigated himself silently as he did so. To think Dominiscus would appear to you! Or send one of His angels for you! Vanity Pride! Folly!" Trajan did not place his helm back on his head, but instead held it under his left arm, beneath his shield as he turned back, once again composed, excepting that the fires of shamed burned brightly in his face, and answered the Paladin at last.

"My name is Trajan Constantine Aeneas." He said simply. "Son of Summanus and Aurora, Pax Honestus Legionnaire and acolyte of the One." He stabbed his spear down, was surprised to find that it stuck into a hillside when a moment ago he had been standing on a fog bank, then balled his right hand into a fist and placed it over his heart, bowing briefly, but maintaining his eyes on the others before rising and finally taking stock of the other man, for he had to finally admit to himself that Yin Lorin was naught but a man.

Yin was young he had to guess, two or three years Trajan's junior. A good head shorter, and slightly awkward to the eye. His blonde hair was unkempt or appeared to be so, and his nose was a little large for his face, as was the smile he had held since he had finished speaking. For all that it was Trajan who felt gawky and awkward. He was a head and to spare taller than the man who stood opposite him, his face, while proportionate suddenly seemed to rough, and his shoulders felt much too broad. after his salute, Trajan ran his free hand through his hair (or more appropriately, over it), and waited, feeling too-large and somehow lesser, than this younger, smaller man who stood waiting patiently.

"What does this mean exactly?" Trajan venture at last, wanting something to break the silence, to get the Paladin to do something other than watch him, fearing that at any moment his faith should be found wanting.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The wind blew softly, pausing now and again as if it were the breath of the One himself. It made the green grass wave like the surface of the ocean.

Yin looked at the man; it was the second man to appear in his dreams. Was he to find all his paladins in this manner? “It means you should be mindful of your dreams.” Yin told him. He turned and started to walk to the gates of the Temple. “Come, walk with me.” He told him as he walked.

“I have had to learn to be mindful of my dreams, they show me what will come, and what has been. They have shown me who is friend and foe. The One speaks to us in them.” He informed the man as they approached the silver gates. “The One has spoken to me through his Avatar in my dreams.”

His eyes met that of the other man. He was handsome and brave, Yin was a little jealous at how well he looked. “This dream is important, and I am meeting you for a reason, all things happen for reasons.” He looked down at the valley. “Pax, it has been a long time since I left there.”

He placed a hand on the shoulder of his new ally. “When you feel ready, come to Kings Court and seek out the Paladins, we could always use another faithful soul. It would be an honor to serve with you.” He looked into the temple. “Do you have any more questions?”

Civus

Yin Lorin, Paladin of the One, had many things to say. Trajan listen attentively, feeling, for some reason, that there was a reason for this meeting, extremely odd though it was, had been and continued to be. The pair stopped, just before the open gates of the Temple.

"Do you have anymore questions?" Yin asked, looking ahead, into the Temple interior. While he wanted to ask when Yin had ever been to Pax Balthasar, Trajan for some reason sensed urgency, and knew he had more important things to ask.

"Is it so easy then?" He began, "Becoming a Paladin?" a rueful chuckle escaped and Trajan shook his head. "I had expected trials of faith, walking through fire or some such. Maybe other tests as well... can it really be as simple as walking into Kings Court and seeking out a chapterhouse? How do you know I'm even worthy?" The sense of urgency increased, and the last question came out more as a plea...

"Can I come to the Temple with you?" Though he knew there was fear in his voice, Trajan could do nothing about it. He had to admit that he was afraid to wake from this dream, afraid to be alone and purposeless again.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin nodded. “All are welcome in the house of the One.” He reminded him. “You know, the game of chess is simple, the moves are easy. I learned to play in an afternoon.” He told Trajan as they walked past the gates. “I have yet to master the game, to see it for what it truly is.” He spoke as he walked; thinking about how many ways a game could go.

He paused as they stood in the perfect gardens of the One, flowers bloomed brilliantly and small butterflies danced between them. The trees were the perfect shade of green and gave off just the right amount of shade. “Approaching the alter is easy, but your trials will wait you in your service.” Yin told him. “I know the One is testing me each day, and my trials are shaping me to be what he needs me to be. I have to remember humility and patience. I fear I have not always passed the tests.”

“But the greatest test is to keep trying.” He added with a small sigh. “Your trials will start the moment you wake to the world, the moment you set your heart on the path of a paladin. That is when they will start.”

Civus

Trajan found himself struck momentarily dumb by what the Paladin was saying. Was it really as easy as all that? Devotion and the courage to take the first step? “Your trials will start the moment you wake to the world, the moment you set your heart on the path of a paladin. That is when they will start.” Shaking his head once again, to clear it, he looked once more at the Paladin.

"I shall." He said simply. "I shall be a Paladin. I shall take the tests the One has in store for me to become the tool of His will." He turned a slow circle in the Garden of the One, filled with wonderment. "This must be what it is like..." His voice trailed off, his train of thought gone. "You will see me again Yin, and soon. I will come to Kings Court."
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin smiled. “An extra sword for the cause is always welcome. You should follow your heart and know the One is watching you.” Yin advised, it was advise he had given himself many times. He walked with Trajan again. “We now face a deadly threat not just outside our faith, but within it. Priests have become corrupted, men have let themselves fall into sin who should be leading as examples. Because of this our land has been suffering, we have been punished.”

It was clear to Yin why the war was lost, and why the Avatar was taken from them. “We will need to be mindful of all those who profess our faith but do not act accordingly. Also, a new quest will be placed before us, a quest to find the next Avatar.” The young paladin told him.

Civus

“We now face a deadly threat not just outside our faith, but within it. Priests have become corrupted, men have let themselves fall into sin who should be leading as examples. Because of this our land has been suffering, we have been punished.” Trajan did not understand Yin's talk of 'finding the new Avatar' but he did know of the corrupted priests.

"I have seen the poison of which you speak Sir Lorin." He replied, his voice tinged with sadness. "A group proclaiming to be priests of the One recently caused a riot within Pax Balthasar." He said. "Several were killed, many more wounded, and a mystical occurence over the city burned down one of it's structures. I have heard what it was they were preaching that day at it was not the word of the One that I know." Trajan realized that his voice had warmed with the fires of conviciton and anger. Shame once again burned in his face as he finished, in subdued tomes, "Not that my education in the One is exhaustive." The youth looked at the Paladin sideways and added hurriedly, "I had been set up for tutelage under a wise and venerated priest when we first arrived in Pax, but he was striken by the same malady which claimed my father and siblings." There was a silence, heavy with sympathies unexpressed, but Trajan pushed past it huriedly, not wanting to revisit that portion of his past.

"It's a spear." He said bleakly. "Not a sword." As soon as the words left his mouth, he felt incredibly folish, but knew there was no taking them back, even in a dream what was said could not be unspokne. He found himself intently studdying the scuffing on the toes of his boots. "I'll need to polish those off when I wake up." Was all he could think at that moment.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Spear, yes a spear was good, long reach, and it was the first to see battle. “Spear…” Yin repeated softly. “Yes, spear, that is good.” He looked at Trajan. “I suppose it is not the weapon itself, but the soul in the weapon. When I fight I do not think I even realize I am holding the sword. I sort of become the weapon, I feel myself in it. Each tug of the flesh, and click of the bone I can feel on me.” He said in a sort of morbid fascination.

“Tell me more of these who are preaching false doctrine. Tell me what it was they said and how they worked.” He asked seeking more clarification. “Did you get their names? Did they try to hurt anyone? Pax is the place the King and Avatar claimed the Pagan can go for freedom from the Laws that cover the worship of other gods.” He stroked his chin in thought. “We must uphold the law, in everycase.”

Civus

"They preached only condemnation." Trajan answered sadly. "They declared Pax a place of sinners, promised Death and Destruction, demanded repentance and spoke a prophecy... let me see if I can recall it..." Trajan paused and tried to recall what the priests had said.

One arm of My holy kingdom will heal
One arm of My holy kingdom will cleanse
The prophet will bring new converts to kneel
The warrior will employ force in faith's defense.”

After he repeated it, he wondered if he had gotten it right, but even if he'd gotten it wrong, the gist was there.

"Did they try to hurt anyone?" He repeated the question while thinking back, "Yes. At least one of them drew a sword, and a second tried to knife a citizen. And there was," he paused while he tried to figure out how to describe it, "a fireball which was manifested over the town. One of the town's buildings burned down, but somehow the fireball was dissipated without bearing out it's truly destructive potential." Trajan looked at the Paladin, then finished "And no one seems to know where the priests went afterwards, it's rumored they disappeared up into the mountains, but to the best of my knowledge no one has gone looking." That seemed strange to him, and he made note to speak to Lieutenant Tameron about that fact.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin stopped. “I know that prophecy.” He told him somberly. “It was given by the prophetess Miri, I was her personal body guard.” He thought back, suddenly feeling older then he was.
“War, storms and hate ravaged My holy land
Loss, treason, and greed took hold of the palace
Restoration was swift with My firm hand
The tide did turn when My prince showed his face

And from the rabble rose a sword and shield
Their true purpose yet unknown to the two
Driven by hate, anger, a fate now sealed
Another from light, love, and heart that is true

They are the new soldiers of a new world
The dual purpose of My will unfurled
The tradition of purification
And the unity of true absolution

One arm of My holy kingdom will heal
One arm of My holy kingdom will cleanse
The prophet will bring new converts to kneel
The warrior will employ force in faith's defense

The Prince has returned and with my eyes he sees
All the world, loving through faith, on their knees
Darkness falls on those who refuse to believe
Rewards on high for those hearts I receive.”
He quoted the entire prophecy to him, he knew it all too well. “I am the Sword.” He told him boldly. He frowned. “It is not pleasing that these men would use this as an excuse to harm those in Pax. True, there is sin, and true there is false teachings, but the Avatar has given them protection, and we should respect that.”

“Miri claimed a man named Jaxis was the sword, but she was incorrect in this. I will have to find her, and him.” Yin told him. “I will send you a letter come morning, to remind you of this meeting. If the good Father is still there, tell him I am sorry for losing the horse.” He told him, his mind already trying to figure this out.

Civus

Trajan listened as Yin took the snippet of prophecy he had provided and turned it into something else entirely. He had only heard the one piece, but by all appearances there were many more, which told a much wider story. Trajan didn't know what Yin meant when he pronounced himself the sword, but he did understand the Paladin's distaste for what the alleged 'priests' had done.

"I agree wholeheartedly Yin, that we should respect the laws, and the intent, which govern Pax Balthasar." The two stood, staring down from the hill overlooking the city. From this vantage, Trajan could see the entirety of his home. The Wall he so frequently walked, both on patrol as well as in his own time. The track which ran to Brie, once his home, now a fading memory, and in the other direction into the Howling Ice Mountains, the fields where crops and cattle where tended, and the forest where he spent most of his time. The Clearwater sparkled, reflecting it's name. From here, Pax showed all the promise of a frontier town, and Trajan knew that with the guidance of the One, it could be great. But there were those who threatened the newly born cityscape. A great anger rose in Trajan at that moment, and he felt the desire to see those who had done wrong to the city brought to their deserved justice. And suddenly, in a blinding flash of inspiration his path became clearer than crystal. And he prayed, silently.

"Please Lord, give me the knowledge and wisdom to follow Your will in this matter. Grant me the strength, and the will to bring those who besmirch of Your name and will to Your justice.

"I will see to this matter Yin." He said resolutely. "For long months, I have lamented my lack of direction, my sense of purposelessness. But I have had a revelation!" Trajan locked his eyes on those of the smaller man, and never blinked as he continued, "It is our Lord's will that I find these 'priests' and bring them to His justice. That is my first Test! I shall not rest until those who bring shame on the name of Dominiscus are brought to reckoning. It is His Will. I know it!" He declared finally. A thought occurred to him, and once more, Trajan Aeneas knelt before Yin Lorin, Paladin of the One. "Will you bless me?" He asked, and bent his head to receive the benediction, feeling a greater sense of peace than he had never known in his life, knowing at last his path. He now had but to walk it.
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin smiled at the taller man. “Well, seems you took your first step.” He felt a sense of pride, or appreciation at this. A fellow follower finding his faith, it gave him a sort of kinship they could share. “I will gladly give you a blessing to help you on your way.”

Yin stepped over to face him as he knelt. Yin focused his mind, clearing his body of any wayward thoughts. He focused and drew in the spirit of the One. He tried to fill himself with the purity of the One, centering himself.

He made the sign of the One and started his prayer in the manner that was best fitting. “Dominisuc, Lord of all, we call on you this day to bless and sanctify this man so he may be a tool for your good. I call on your angels to watch over him to protect him round about. Open his mind to the wisdom of your sight, let his spear be true and his heart pure. Lift him up when he falls, and protect him from the dark magic that may befall him. I ask you to place a special blessing on him, so he may be an example to those in Pax, so they may see the joy of your light through his actions.” He placed his hand on Trajan’s head to finish administering the blessing, letting the prayer fill him with the power it should carry. “These things I pray in thy name, Dominicus, amen.”

When the prayer was finished Yin took a long breath. “I want you to take some of them alive, and return them to Kings Court for trial. We should be the ones to dispose of these offenders. Remember, not to take their life unless they break the laws of the One, if they do, then their life is forfeit, not until then.” He looked at him seriously. “Also, if you walk this path, you must do all you can to harm no woman or child, but you must protect them with all you have. There are exceptions, such as witches and those who do pure evil, but if you can take them without killing them, then do so.”

There was so much to tell him, so much he had to learn himself. “You also should pray daily, learn to pray from the priests. Focus your mind and your spirit. You need to empty yourself of all you are and allow the One to enter you before you can call on his powers. This means you must do all you can to keep yourself from sin. Even if you think a little sin will help you, it will not. You must always be honest, truthful, brave, vigilant, and pure.” He tried to share with him all he had learned over the past decade of his life training in the temple, and learning from his books and from the Paladins alive and dead he had met. “There is so much you need to learn, and you will learn it if your mind is opened, and your focus is on the One and his glory.”

Civus

Trajan felt himself warmed and strengthened by the Paladin's prayer. He wondered at the feelings which suffused him at that moment, and wished that he could always feel the way he did just then. But when the last word was spoken, and Yin drew his breath, Trajan felt the energy which had flown so freely through him flickers before, fade and ebb, but not leave him entirely, and it was that pool which he would draw from during the days to come.

“I want you to take some of them alive, and return them to Kings Court for trial. We should be the ones to dispose of these offenders. Remember, not to take their life unless they break the laws of the One, if they do, then their life is forfeit, not until then.” Yin looked at him seriously. “Also, if you walk this path, you must do all you can to harm no woman or child, but you must protect them with all you have. There are exceptions, such as witches and those who do pure evil, but if you can take them without killing them, then do so.” Trajan nodded, and stood once more. He listened as Yin continued to speak, offering this or that bit of advice. The shadow of amusement passed over Trajan's face for just a flicker before he regained his control.

“I hear your words brother Yin.” He said. “And I shall strive to be guided by them in this matter. I know that I do not know all that I would need to be able to perform this as you would, but I shall strive to do the best I can.” A sound came to him then, distant and vague, but after a flicker or two he recognized it. “Our time grows short Brother.” He told the Paladin. “Soon I must wake and return to my duties. Have you any final words for me as I go forth in our Lord's name to do His Will at your direction?”
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The sound was like a horn, or a bell in the distance. Yin knew it meant the dawning of a new day as well. The boy thought a moment. “Just learn to trust in the One and follow your instincts. Keep your mind pure, and school your feelings. Passions can be our undoing.”

He looked down on the city of Pax and sighed. “You have got a great deal of work. Do not just preach your faith, but exemplify it. Show them the light of the One through your actions. Be good and noble.” There were so many souls that needed to be saved. “Their hearts are full of hate, only by showing them the true happiness the One gives us, can that hate be softened. Always be ready to show mercy, but do not hesitate to defend yourself. You are in the right.”

He put his hand on the taller man’s shoulder. “The One be with you until we meet again.”

Return to “Erulzat Archives”