[Aveas] With an Open Mind - The Beach (LTT)

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Jolace
Singer of Songs

[Aveas] With an Open Mind - The Beach (LTT)

Post by Jolace »

The orca-kanthrop returned to the beach with only a couple marks of the safe and blessed sunlight left in the day. The Sun once again was reflecting off the water in a long and waving centipede of light, but this time it was sinking down towards the ocean. In a few marks it would be gone and Jolace would have to be back at the camp, but for now he just needed to think about all he'd learned with Gannas. The sand gave way to his feet as he walked toward the water and stopped, a meter away from the highest wave he'd seen. The crashing of the waves, and the warm breeze that blew in from the endless sea were calming, but he still kept an eye open. He still observed.

The thoughtful kanthrop looked behind him, and in all directions, taking note of his surroundings, and he sat down, legs crossed with his ankles tucked under his thighs. Listen.

He hummed his well-practiced song, that he tied so closely to the crashing waves and the world around him. For a few burns he sang this melody, until he became calm and could meditate. Listen. He grew silent and waited in meditation. The only thought that remained in his head was that of him, being a shaman, and hearing the spirits around him. He listened to nature, to the animals, to the water, and to the spirits.
Last edited by Jolace on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music, next to silence, is the purest form of expression."

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?p=216506#216506]Jolace pics[/url]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

He sat for quite a while. The sounds of the sea rushing in front of him as he sat in the cooling sand. The wavering sound of sea gulls overhead as they sought a place to rest for the eveningtide.

As the dark rolled in and the blue of the sky gave way to the first light of the stars overhead, he felt a shiver of cold as the wind touched his skin, leaving a thin layer of salt on it. The longer he sat, the colder it got.

Then...

A call. The high pitched squeal of a killer whale sounded in his ears.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Once there was only a mark left in the daytime, he thought about what Gannas had said earlier. Walk the path, without taking too many risks, lest you only take a few steps... Or something like that. He tried to recall his words, and he sat for a burn thinking about that alone. "Each choice made has consequences somewhere down the path. It is the art of seeing these consequences before they happen if you are to walk the way of the shaman longer than just a few steps." That was it... I'm sure of it.

As a quiet person, often deep in thought, Jolace had a knack for recalling words that he heard. He was an observer. He focused on listening and analyzing peoples statements instead of arguing or supplementing when he didn't know the complete answer. Don't take too many risks...

He knew that if he stayed out here too much longer, he wouldn't have time to return home before the cryers came out. He looked at his pack of equipment, and back at the sea. Just then he heard the cry. The cry of a killer whale, of one of his brethren. If he had one, he grabbed his torch and he lit it, sticking it upright into the sand a few paces away from the tideline, and he shouted towards Groas' hut in a booming loud voice. "Master Groas! Come quickly!" And with that, he hurriedly returned to the water.

Dear mother! This is what I've waited for! If only Groas were here!!! I must call back. It's time, inner spirit. I know this is our chance to truly connect! Help me, help me to call out to them! We can at last speak to our kind! His mind was racing with passion and delight, and his adrenaline was pumping extremely. He continued out of instinct to look around him cautiously as his heart soared with passion.

The orca-kanthrop planted his feet in the range of the waves and he held out his arms toward the sea. With all his focus, he tried to release a cry in falsetto, similar to that of the majestic beast of the sea. "Wonderful residents of the sea! I call out to you! Please, reunite me with my own kind!

Jolace, was an orca. That was half of who he was, and this was his chance. If he had brought a torch, it was lit behind him, and it would cause his illuminated silhouette to stand out before the sea. All he could think about, was swimming with his brothers and sisters.

And he listened, and waited, standing on a precipice with a raging passionate optimism. Were he self-conscious, he would feel like a fool, but all he cared about was before him.

And he listened.

[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ed6k5wc5hym]Listen to Song of Jolace[/url]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

He picked up the torch which lay beside him, lit it and stabbed the bottom end into the sand. It burned brightly in the darkening eveningtide sky. fear of Cryers was not needed. This was Aveas, not Ursa. As far as he knew there were no Cryers on Aveas.

Groas did not answer as he called out through the dark. Another call resounded from the sea, and in the twilight of the descending sun, he could see the dark forms of several large killer whales swim along the shoreline, fairly close by, casting their calls out for all who wished to hear them.

They seemed to call to him. Their words hidden in a majestic song which sung to his own Inner Animal, who riled inside and sought to follow his kin.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

We shall be together. He was completely captivated, and he stepped forward, continuing his call out to them. Into the water his feet went, and he walked until he was chest-deep.

Let us join them!
Now is the time!
We are one!
We are a kanthrop!
No... we are an orca!

His spirit was filled with passion. He could feel his inner animal pushing him forward, and he'd never felt so in tune with his orca spirit before. He took a deep breath and concentrated as hard as he could. Change... change!!! While he wracked his brain, focusing his energy into this one thing, he ducked his head under water, opening his eyelids to see through the eyes of his kin. The ability to see in the water as an orca was up until now his only inspiration as a water-warper. But... This feeling... He could finally join others that were just like him!

Was he thinking irrationally? Perhaps. His instinct was driving him more dominantly than ever before, and rational thought wasn't his concern. His latent passions for the ocean were coming to a head, and he couldn't control it, even if he wanted to.

We are one!

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

He opened his eyes under water and saw the ocean as if for the first time. Everything was different somehow, even though the surf he stood in was the one he had spent so many marks in before. His Inner Animal pushed it's way to the fore front of his mind, lending his sight to Jolace who embraced the spirit within him even more.

Again the call of the killer whales. Now from beneath the water. The reverberation of the tones struck his ears, as clear as words spoken in air. They called to him, called for their brother.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

He swam, kicking his legs together up and down, as if they were a tail, and he pushed himself along with his arms. We're coming! He allowed his instinct to be driven by his inner animal. It was only fair, they were both equal partners in this body, and now was his orca's time to shine. I can see! This is what it's like! Everything is so beautiful, I can see for the first time!

Brothers! I'm coming! The words of his brethren called to his spirit. He swam, and his heart raced. He would need to breathe soon, in this body. Unlike a killer whale, he couldn't stay under for marks, only burns. Perhaps... Perhaps that would change very soon.

He didn't know where his brothers and sisters were, they could be meters away, or miles. He did know that they were connected with one thing, the very same water that touched his skin. Jolace didn't know the extent of how friendly Orcas were to unthreatening species. If they were anything like his inner animal, they were friendly and communal creatures, willing to join with their brethren of other regions on a daily basis... Unfortunately if he showed up as he was now, chances were they would just pass him by and not even acknowledge him... If he could only show up as one of them!

Wait for us!
Last edited by Jolace on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The shadows of the killer whales cracked the smooth surface of the water as he swam towards the sounds of their cries. As he swam an faint luminescent glow started to emanate from his form. As his muscles strained themselves to get closer to the creatures of the sea he called his brethren, he could feel the water parting more easily as his hands and feet gave way to fins and tail. Slowly his body increased in size, taking on the smooth aquadynamic shapes of the orca. It went smoothly, so much so he didn't actually notice anything for a while.

Staying under at some point did not become much of a problem however. He felt his lung capacity increase and his vision improve. His inner animal cried out, a sound emanating from his mouth breaking against the obstacles in the water.

All around him the water now glowed with the faint blue and silvery sheen of the warp.

Back on the beach, Groas stood.

"Kit no longer..."

The old man turned and walked back to his hut with a smile on his face. He sat down by the fire as he listened to the sounds of the whales breaking off of the trees and the rocks around him. Jolace had been ready for his shift. Eager and pushing for it, but ready.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

The kit was so distracted on his adrenaline high that it took him a moment to even realize he'd changed. Holy Mother! This... This is it!! I've finally done it! He wished to scream for joy, but what came out was a crisp siren, which sounded infinitely beautiful to his ears. My partner... We meet at last.

He stopped at the surface of the sea and he exhaled through his new blowhole. A massively deep breath ensued and with lungs full of air, he plunged downward, racing and beating his tail. Jolace raced towards his brethren, but along the way, he swam deep and with a heavy beating tail, he swam straight up and catapulted himself into the air as high as he could, and as he splashed down he let another siren go.

"My brothers! I'm coming! Wait for me!" He tried to speak, but instead of words, all he could muster was a series of clicks and whistles. Right. I don't have lips or a human voice anymore... I almost forgot about that.

He continued to click and whistle, speaking from instinct, and the kanthrop hoped that he wasn't offending anybodies' mother with his new found speech. He was thrilled, and he looked around excitedly, taking in his surroundings the best that he could.

He felt relaxed. At peace. Finally, at home. His song was in his mind, and the moving waves and dancing sea vegetation seemed to dance along with the melody in his head, that he'd never successfully uttered. Now was his chance. In a higher voice than he'd ever sung in before, he tried to sing his song. He focused on keeping the pitch through the slow melody, and if he had had any hair, it would be raised with goosebumps from the beauty he was living. This was not a scene he planned to forget.

OOC: If I've overstepped any boundaries of assumption regarding his voice or his understanding of the 'orca language', let me know and I'll change it
Last edited by Jolace on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Jolace was not certain of how much of his words actually made it in an understandable fashion to the other whales which swam now within his reach. They did however not shun him or try to drive him off, as they might have with an outsider to their family, as this turned out to appear. Three orca's swimming along side each other in the deep waters of the ocean. A younger one sided by his parents.

His song spread through the water. It sounded differently than it had before, yet the same in a way he could not have imagined without the change in his own voice and hearing. The water echo'ed the sounds for miles and met with response from the other whales who picked up the tune and echo'ed their replies, which made little sense to Jolace, but which gave him a general feeling of comfort and acceptance.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

The orca felt at ease... At home. He followed his brethren wherever they went, and he kept attentive to those around him. He wished to fit in... And for a change, he felt like he did. I wish to understand... I actually wish to express myself, but it appears listening is all I can try to do.

Though he didn't immediately make any sense of what was said, Jolace listened anyway, and he observed closely, the movements and gestures of those around him. He wanted to know what he was to do now, although he was perfectly satisfied just swimming along with them.

Periodically, throughout his journey of unknown destination, the kanthrop repeated his sirenesque song. The thought that he wouldn't know how to get back home didn't occur to him, and he simply followed his instinct- which told him to stay with the group.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The waters grew deeper and darker as the family of whales moved away from the shores of Ursa and Aveas slowly. Above his head the sky grew darker as they swam further into the ocean. The open water surface plaything of wind and currents.

Jolace's large and bulky form did not feel at all so. It gliding swiftly through the waters along with the small school of his brethren. The current they followed was strong and movement went rather swiftly, far more so than Jolace might have imagined. Keeping bearings under water was difficult, as was keeping track of time, especially under the cover of layers of water. He had to come up to the surface at times though, and it was clear that gravetide was passing by as he followed the others in what appeared to be a western direction. Or was it east?

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

The sleek organic torpedo followed his kin, whooshing through the waters like a rocket. He surfaced when he needed to, blasting righteous plumes of air and moisture up over the surface, but he enjoyed the very long periods of time that he spent under water. Indeed, such spans of time without needing to surface skewed his sense of time, and he did not know where this place was, or when it was. It was likely that he was extremely far from home, considering the speed of their travel. Regardless, he followed his brethren and released his siren song regularly, feeling quite playful and happy.

Then the water got dark. Instinctively he became more alert, cautious. He no longer sang for all to hear, but instead kept a wary eye of danger. However recently they'd met, these friends were important to Jolace. His heart saw them as direct family members, and he would never let something bad happen to any of them.

He continued to follow, possibly for marks on end- he wouldn't know. He merely was captivated by the joy of being an apex oceanic predator, and among his friends no less. He grew... hungry. But, he could suffer through it if to hunt was not the will of his companions.
Last edited by Jolace on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

His companions did not seem very eager to hunt. Perhaps they had eaten shortly before he had found them. It was not hard for Jolace to find food should he want to. Schools of fish sped through the waters at the approach of the large mammals. The waters here were rich in all kinds of fish, fish he had on occasion eaten in his human form aswell.

Ofcourse, he had never eaten it raw before, but his Inner Animal seemed to agree that it might be a good idea to start looking for some food. At every click he made, he could detect fish around him, his hearing very acute below water. The urge to eat grew with every passing burn. This was accompanied by a sense of wear that started to have an impact on his swimming speed. It was unclear how far he had swum, and how far the current had taken him, but never before having been in this form was taking it's toll on muscles he had never had before. Two problems which needed resolution at one point or another. It was upto Jolace to consider which one to heed first.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Food. It is time to hunt. Jolace's mind was centered on food, but part of him was nervous. He was growing tired, and he didn't know what he would do if he became too tired to swim. He noticed that his clicks illuminated fish around him, so he tried the smartest thing he could think of.

I've got to find land... I need to rest. I can worry about food later. Part of him was hoping that his new friends would come on land with him, but he knew that none of these were kanthrop. At least... That wasn't likely. He wouldn't know how to identify his mom or dad, and he didn't know any other water-warpers aside from Spud and Groas. At any rate, as he clicked, he tried to paint an image in his mind of those around him, in case their paths crossed again someday.

A new series of clicks came from him, trying to illuminate any mass of land that might be nearby, or any upward slope in the earth below them. If he could grab any fish in his mouth along the way, that'd be a big plus, but his prime concern was finding land. And, until he had some sort of clue regarding land, he wasn't foolish enough to break away from the pod.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The Seven Isles were a vast collection of larger and smaller islands, scattered all over the ocean separating the Western Kingdom and Terra Incognita from the ever mysterious Eastern Empire. Jolace's search for land did not come unanswered. Even though the interpretation of the sounds he made was still new to him, his Inner Animal granted him the added perception he needed to determine that there was at least something vast in the waters around him at different places. Larger and smaller masses of land protruding from the ocean floor, granting much needed solace to the weary Kanthrop should he choose to seek refuge upon the beaches of one of the isles.

As far as he could determine, there were a number of small atols quite close to him, with a much larger island a ways further south. He might be able to make the large island if he swam a good speed for another few marks.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace needed rest. He wasn't concerned with the size of his resting spot at the moment- although he didn't want to end up on a ten meter island alone with a roaring dragon. He decided to head for the largest of the nearby atols. He could head further south later if he regained his energy. He clicked to illuminate the nearest of the large islands and then he headed over, tending for nearness to the pod. If at long last the pod turned in another direction from him, he would attempt to click his farewell and continue towards this new island.

This was a reckless idea... It was, a hasty decision. He did not regret this adventure in the slightest, but he acknowledged that there might be some repercussions for his hasty actions, and he may later fret over coming alone. For now, he just hoped that there was safe refuge on the island before him.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The island before him was not very large, perhaps five hundred or so meters in diameter. It had some vegetation, trees and bushes grew in the center of the atol, surrounded on all sides by a wide pristine sand beach.

The other whales did not seem to care much for lingering. They met his farewell with a similar song that echoed through the waters as he made his way to the beach.

There did not appear to be any imminent dangers in store for Jolace upon arriving at the isle. Seagulls scattered from rocks laying on the beach where he emerged near to, leaving the pickings of their last scavenger hunt for other creatures or the elements to be taken away.

In the distance, a larger isle, vastly greater in size than this one lay. It seemed to look similar to the shore line he had spent so much time near to, though he might just as well have ended up on the other side of the island of Aveas for all he knew. The kinds of trees were the same and there appeared to be boats near it's shores. Possibly fishermen.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace didn't have a marvelous flare for adventure. If he did, he would overcome his weariness and keep moving onward to the island ahead of him. He was not outstandingly ambitious in this department however, and he was aware that he needed rest, and food. He tried his hardest to focus on shifting. He remembered all he'd been told about it, and he meditated, near the beach, swimming in circles around the island as he focused.

It's time to turn back... I need food, and sleep. I've accomplished a lot today, but I don't want to run on fumes until I die... If he couldn't manage to warp, he would have to rest near the shore, keeping a safe minimum distance of twenty meters from the shore, for the sake of not beaching and killing himself. Once he was rested he'd head to the larger island, where hopefully the fishermen wouldn't kill him for lamp oil.

Rest... Human... Focus... He concentrated the best he could on warping back into his human form.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Warping back was not at all difficult. Even though his Inner Animal was reluctant to let go of the animal form they both were in, it too knew the importance of touching solid ground. Even if just for a mark or so to rest, eat something and continue on.

Laying in the surf, fins melded into arms and legs. The large torso and head melded back into the shape of Jolace, feet seeking solid ground as his body turned vertically in the water, the large mass of stable whale flesh making way for the much frailer humanoid form.

It took a lot out of him though, and being already tired it cost him much of his strength to make those last few meters out of the water and onto the beach to lay his head down on the soggy sand of the small isle. Clothes and equipment left behind back home, he lay on the sand naked in the light of the moon which shone overhead.

His maiden voyage had taken a good portion of the gravetide.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

I'm back.

The young kanthrop was excited about his new power, and he looked forward to having many undersea adventures with Groas, and Spud if and when he also warped. Heh... The lil' guy would have to warp the minute he found out I did... He'd never let me outdo him.

Jolace's right arm lifted up and his palm set down on the sand next to his cheek. His other hand did the same, and over a period of several flickers, he did a long and arduous pushup, bringing his head up to about two and a half feet off of the ground as he lifted it up to look at his surroundings. Two large black eyes darted around under a wet curtain of long white hair which formed thick cords hanging from his head, and he searched for any vegetable favorites that might be around. He was too tired to hunt in his human form, and his racing mind was greatly in need of meditation, his sore body in need of some sort of yoga- or better yet, sleep.

The boy brought his feet up between his hands, and he slowly stood, stretching his arms out and shaking his hair down so that it would come out of it's clumpy state from the salt-water. His hand ran through and combed it back, causing it to cling to his head, running straight back and down his back. He looked around again, this time his eyes were decently over six feet above the ground.

It's time to eat.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The island was far from big, but it was full of life. Birds were sleeping in the trees. Small nocturnal critters skittered about through the underbrush. In the darkness it was hard to tell if any of the trees bore fruit, but some of the trees looked very similar to those that grew on Aveas. Large palm trees that held coconuts at times. The choice between meat and fruit was there to be made. But from the beach he would not be able to achieve either.

Fishing was also an option if he felt like it. When he had been in the water he had scared off plenty of fish though, so it was unlikely he'd find any in his direct vicinity.

Jolace
Singer of Songs

Post by Jolace »

Jolace needed food so that he could live, but he also needed to meditate. He was stopping on this island merely for the sake of replenishing his energy, not wanting to drown from exhaustion. He wasn't sure what was beyond this island, but he still intended to find out. Maybe it was home, maybe it was Sierra. Either way he would be reunited with his kin, and he almost hoped it was the latter so he could do his part to assist the braver kanthrops. He was reminded of their superiority over him and his heart sank just a little. Xenovia, Scarlet... Muraco, why couldn't I have been brave like you? Where was my courage when it was time to step up? Even Culwago wanted to go, but I...

His stomach growled and his mind immediately switched to the present. The kanthrop walked inland and peered around looking for some fruit that he could eat. He would just love it if there were some bananas, perhaps turnips in the ground... He wasn't nearly as good at hunting small things on land as most of his friends, but if there was a irrational beast that was bigger than a rodent, at least a quarter his size, he might chase it and try to hunt it down. Naturally he'd try to speak to it first, for he had a serious problem with hunting anything that could think like a person. While he looked around, in his solitude and the white noise of the crashing waves, his mind strayed back to the season of his absence. He had a nervous feeling in his stomach, as if he'd failed his kin by not being present at that gathering. No... I've got to be fair to myself, right? Gannas would tell me that there is a reason I wasn't at that meeting... Even though it seems to be that I'm inferior to the outside looker, I just need to listen, and I'll hear my call... There's no way I'm going to be a failure forever.

His eyes darted around for vegetation, or hopefully a larger animal. He usually preferred to hunt without tools anyway, so he didn't feel a disadvantage of not having his spear. In case he could find a suitable prey, he began to stretch his muscles, starting with his legs, and then nearly a burn later he began to stretch out his arms.

Dinner first, then I'll meditate.
Last edited by Jolace on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

It turned out to be a rather fruitful environment he had found himself in. Walking further inland yielded a nice gathering of some fruits, including a small crop of tiny bananas. The wildlife proved to be a bit harder to capture, as they skittered away in the darkness.

Sitting down to eat in the chill of the gravetide yielded a lovely view over the water, were he to look out across the beach. The moon shone brightly and reflected off of the waves which gently rolled in on the coming tide.

It was then, as he sat there quietly, eating his fruit, that he heard something. The soft melody of a musical instrument, blowing in on the breeze. As far as he could tell it was coming from somewhere down the beach.

Return to “Triangle Islands”