A New Day for Rendia

Moderator: Mods

rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older woman gently smoothed Rendia's hair, considering her reply before speaking. "You haven't kept me at all, but if you want to rest now that is fine by me.

"We were about too look at making a cough syrup, do you feel up too this?"

Naomi hoped that by doing something the young woman would be able to sort her sudden rush of emotions, and find some stability in the task at hand.

Looking quietly at Rendia, Naomi waited to see where they went next.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia was used to Naomi's touch now. She only had the experience that touch was never free and harmless. She tried to ignore the way her life has been until now.

After thinking about it a momment, Rendia replied, "Cough syrup. Maybe I could even use something to soothe my throat." She seemed quietly willing, although she was still adjusting to normal feelings and the present survival thought patterns. "That would be good," she said. Good was Oracle's Isle, and if everything on Oracle's Isle was not good, then good could not exist.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

A pleasant smile crossed Naomi's face, as standing she offered Rendia her hand to stand as well.

"To make something for ticklish throats we go then," her voice light, although she still worried for her charge.

"I shall teach you some new skills, and maybe there are things for me too learn as well."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia didn't know what Naomi meant by that last comment, but nodded, struggling to recall the lessons of the former day. Look people in the eye, stand up straight, walk beside Naomi . . . what else was there? She had temporarily forgotten she was to act differently here, and now it was time to learn more. Yet carrying herself unnaturally was the only unpleasant task with Naomi. With little concentration, self-conscious worry finally left Rendia alone for the most part.

Rendia didn't know what Naomi thought of her younger days, she viewed her story with surpressed, mixed feelings. Her eyes calmed to a peaceful grey as she focused on the new skills before her, a relief creeping up into her heart unnoticed.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Rendia stood, the older woman noticed the change, and saw the effort she made to stand straight, and look the world levelly in the eye. Although she maintained a steady expression on her face, a warm glow infused her inside, as she silently applauded the effort her younger charge was making. It was no easy task she was required to perform.

Chatting gently to Rendia, Naomi led the way to Annasis' Temple, showing Rendia through to a smallish work room off to one side.

The room consisted of several benches lining each wall, with a variety of labelled vials and containers.

"So, lets look at what we've collected shall we."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia's eyes grew wide, but she did not ask if this was the temple of Anasis. She only kept her step soft and felt overwhelmed by awe for the third time since she had been here.

She memorized the way to the room and quickly scanned her surroundings, all unconsciously. Slaves were often requested to reach unusual unreasonable proficiancies at sudden momments. It was all so nice! And she was allowed to be a part of this wondrous place.

Obediantly and with anticipation, Rendia prepared to unload and sort the various fascinating herbs they had collected.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Clearing a spce carefully on a table top, Naomi laid out the specimens they had collected.

Balsam Root, Wild Cherry Bark, Poplar Buds, and Spikenard and Blood Root. Carefully keeping each seperate, she asked Rendia, "Now, do you recall each of these herbs I described to you earlier?

"Name the ones you can remember, and I'll go over any you have forgetten," and a smile came to her face. "It's not a test Rendia, and it is OK if you can't remember we'll just go through them again."

Naomi hoped the younger woman didn't think of it as a test, but rather a chance to reinforce what they had been discussing earlier during their search, which did seem a long time ago.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia wondered. Life was a test . . . wasn't it? Life is a test you must survive, so she did not need to excel, she needed to survive. But she did not concentrate on this; she was too busy remembering overall significance.

After a long pause and an intense stare at each of the herbs, she started reciting, slowing down or pausing occasionally where she could not remember clearly all that Naomi had explained. Out of habit, she allowed these slip ups because masters expected you to be stupid, yet answer quickly. She did not know she was holding back or trying not to spend too long remembering each thing, but she was. Out of much information she had been carefully remembering a moderate amount of what would be so far sufficient to know always.

"This is the inner bark of . . .Wild Cherry, which is dangerous if harvested in the fall because of built up toxins. We will use this in the cough syrup but is also good for other breathing ailments and so on. And it doesn't have to be boiled because then it isn't as . . . good. It can simply soak after boiling . . . that was the menstruum, it soaks in the menstruum . . . or is it part of it?

It goes well with that bloodroot, or red root in Amun Ra, it is the one with the lovely leaves, and is used for severe cases of sore throat, or in small amounts I think? You said we have not yet discovered all the uses of this, and many other herbs.

That "Balsam Root" sometimes helps with headaches and so on, but I am intrigued by the plants "Poplar Buds" which greatly aids our cough syrup in clearing congestion and can be used for minor aches and pains once we prepare it . . . I think . . .

The last one is Spikenard. I might have confused it with another plant sometimes called by the same name . . . I think."

Rendia gave herself the liberty to pause and think harder, and then repeated in a slightly adjusted tone, what seemed to be the very words Naomi had used.

"Spikenard is our very potent cough syrup component, for it works miracles with shortness of breath, wheezing, fevers, and expelling phlegm," she said, slowing down and blinking as a thought came to her mind. Timidly she added, "What is miracles?"

OOC: If I contradicted any of your sources, just tell me what changes I need to make ^^ I found Medicinal Herbs Online to be excellent. http://www.egregore.com/default.htm
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi listerened carefully as Rendia recited the herb lore they had discussed earlier, nodding her head slightly in encouragement she waied for Rendia to finish. The older woman was impressed by Rendia's recall, although a bit unsure as to the seeming lapses when she actually seemed to understand perfectly well.

Naomi chose to overlook this issue and instead concentrate on the grasp of lore that Rendia was diaplaying.

The younger womans last comment caught her a bit by surprise. "A miracle, eh. Well a miracle is when something wonderous occurs that has no obvious reason for happening. They are usually attributed to the gods themselves, but sometimes it is little more than carefully applied knowledge, " and Naomi shared a conspiratorial wink with Rendai, although she wasn't at all sure the younger woman would catch her drift.

"Your understanding has been first class Rendia, what say we prepare the elixer now."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia cocked her head in confusion. She understood the first part, but the second explination and the wink lost her understanding completely.

"Oh," was all she said, showing no sign of confusion, because, well she was already ready to learn about this elixer now. The information was stored away and forgotten already. She nodded agreeably, now was a good time to learn.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi looked at the herbs again, before turning to the table behind them. she carefully took a weighing scale, and several silver weights. The scale was quite simple and consisted of two plates, balanced on a fulcrum.

"This is the scale, which we use to ensure we have the correct proportions. Now we need to ensure we have the correct mix of herbs in the right proportions. These weights," and Naomi showed Rendia the silver weights, "are used to ensure we acheive the right amounts.

"See the the markings on the them." Naomi showed Rendia the smallest weight, it had a single scratch marked on it. "This is one part," in fact the small weight was 1 quarter of an ounce. Naomi showed the younger woman the different weights, and they each had different number of scratches on them.

"So what we need is one part blood root, two parts poplar buds and spikenard root, 12 parts balsam root and white cherry bark." As she spoke the older woman held up the appropriate weights, setting out a quarter once (one scratch), a half ounce (two scratches) and three one ounce (4 scratch) weights.

Looking up at Rendia, she asked, "Do you know your numbers my dear, I'm sorry, I've taken that for granted."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

"I was never very good at them, because I never used them very much," Rendia mumbled. "Parts of what?"

Rendia couldn't count beyond twelve really.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Mmmm," Naomi scratched her head. "Let's deal with the questions the other way around.

"A part is just a measure, so if I say one part of this and two parts of that, we put in twice as much of the second item as we do of the first. Yes?" Naomi looked at Rendia to ensure she was following so far.

"Now numbers. They are pretty important for us because they are the basis for our remedies. Lets start with the easy ones, can you count to ten using your fingers?" Naomi held out her hands palms up, and counted, turning up a finger or thumb with each number until she reached ten. she looked at Rendia to see if the younger woman would follow her lead.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Twice . . . Rendia could fathom this, twice was not difficult. As for counting, Rendia had never liked numbers, probablly because of her masters attitudes. But she readily lifted her hands and counted. She knew ten and she knew one more the that and one more then that. But she wasn't sure of any more.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Having watched Rendia count to ten, Naomi nodded encouragement, "Very good Rendia, very good indeed.

"Now everything else goes from there. Watch, " Naomi leant under the bench behind them and pulled out a large jar containing some nuts of some obscure description, and poured some out onto a clear space on their work bench.

She carefully counted out ten nuts, before asking Rendia to count them as well. She then put out a second group of ten nuts, counting them out. "See I have two lots of ten, or if I used my fingers, two lots," and she counted on her fingers, first pointing her fingers as she countered to ten once, and then closing them again as she counted again.

"Now we can put them together, and count" and Naomi counted from one to ten," and then ten and one or eleven, ten and two or twelve, ten and three or thirteen, ten and four or fourteen,"and Naomi counted to ten and ten or twenty.

"So, I need twelve parts of white cherry bark, which is ten and two, yes?" Naomi looked up at Rendia to ensure she was following her explanation. Whilst counting out twelve nuts. "So this is how many scratches I need on the weights for the scale to measure the bark, understand?" Again she waited to ensure Rendia was following her explanation.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

"So tens are lots?

There are names for 'tens and.' Alright . . .

eleven, twelve,

thirteen, fourteen . . . fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen nineteen, twenty," finished, repreating each on after Naomi. She thought she understood, but she didn't like it. These names seemed pointless to create, yet if she was being told what their names were it must be important. She didn't think she'd remember them right away, though.

So twelve parts just meant twelve of those . . . measures. "Twelve parts," Rendia affirmed.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi carefully weighed each of the herbs, according to the recipe she was using. Going slowly, and explaining each step with Rendia she proceded, eventually ending up with a small pile of herbs before her on the bench.

Having measured out the right quantities, we must crush and mix the herbs, and then soak them," again reaching behind herself, and rummaging in the shelves there, Naomi returned a medium sized pestal and mortar to the table. She carefully placed the herbs measured into the rounded bowl of the mortar, and began to grind them with the pestal.

She looked up at Rendia, before passing her the pestal, "OK Rendia, it's your turn, just grind the herbs gently, ensuring they are fully broken up and mixed together."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

A surge of fear almost blinded Rendia for a momment. Struggling with shame, she realized she needed Naomi to go over the recipe once more, she didn't have it. It was so hard for her to feel that she could ask Naomi to go back. And then she remembered whey she was doing this. Anasis wanted her to learn everything completely and well. Fighting 30 years of instinct with a blank look on her face and deathly still hands, Rendia asked the question, "N-naomi . . . could you tell me again what that mix was?"

And it was so relieving, the sun seemed brighter.

Rendia couldn't wait to grind the herbs she had picked with her own hands, into a medicne she would know how to make by her own heart. She didn't think about it, but Rendia was beginning to get an idea of what freedom meant.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Rendia asked Naomi to go over the recipe again, the older woman almost gave her a look of mock indignation, realising just in time that the younger woman would probably not interept such a gesture in the right manner. Instead she smiled kindly, "Certainly Rendia, I would be happy to go over the recipe again," and Naomi repeated the quantities from earlier, using her small pile of nuts to represent the various quantities of herbs required to make the elixir.

"Now you need to grind them carefully, and then we can begin the next step," her tone was encouraging as she watched the younger woman continue grinding the herbs.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: Sorry for the short post, I couldn't think of anything! ^^

IC: Rendia ground more carefully, but her wrist twisted rhythmically as one who was aquainted with such work. She had been required to do things like this before, as she was no stranger to hand grinding flour either. She was completely comfortable with this sort of performing. She could do this without thinking. A smile struggled to guide her lips to an expression of happiness.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi smiles at Rendias efforts. "Excellent work Rendia, excellent in deed. Now we need to prepare the elixir.

"We take the the crushed herbs, and add some of the menstruum from this bottle," and Naomi takes a red glass bottle from the shelf. "We need to add 16 parts, so ten and six parts," she demonstrates to Rendia using their counting nuts. "Do you want to do the measuring?"

"Then we need to stand this overnight, and finish it tomorrow."

Having finished the first stage of the elixir Naomi looked across to Rendia. "You know, the potion is only part of the healing process, the second part is using the gift of the gods to help the healing process. Would you like to learn this part of the process as well?" Naomi was pretty sure of the answer, most people on the Isle wanted to learn the magical parts of their crafts as well as the physical.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: ok this is the fourth time I write this . . . if my computer turns off again . . .

IC: Rendia paid close attention, and naturally took the oppertunity to measure herself. 10 and 6 . . . 16 . . . 16 is ten and . . .

The her eyes widened slightly, and Rendia took in a deep breath. "I would love nothing mroe then to recieve such a gift and be worthy of it Naomi . . ."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

OOC: don't hit your computer Gia, its not seemly for a future healer :)

IC: Naomi placed a piece of muslim cloth over their soaking concoction, before looking at Rendia, and gracious smile across her angular face, she nodded slowly, "Perhaps a small talk first, and then we can begin.

"All things are made up of energy, which the gods wove this energy to create things. Living entities are no different, and it is our unique blend of these energies which define who we are.

"Some would describe this blend of energies, or at least what we are capable of seeing or hearing or feeling, as our aura. Everyone is different in how they perceive this aura, as I said, some people see it as ribbons of coloured energy, other hear it as a melody, but in all cases it is the energy of our creation." Naomi watched Rendia carefully, ensuring the younger woman was following her explanation.

"When we get sick or injured, our aura is disrupted. Physical remedies such as elixirs and medicines can only do so much to right this disruption of our energy flow, but with carefulk training, and by calling on the good grace of Our Lady, we are able to speed the healing process by repairing this disruption. I've even heard it rumopured that a truely skilled user of such skills can reset bones, and reattach severed limbs, although I haven't seen it myself. And always remember, once dead, you can't recall the departed energy to the body.

"Has this made sense my dear?" Naomi was concious of not rushing too far ahead, until she was sure Rendia understood where they were going.
Gia as Rendia

Whoops

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: I wonder why I delayed posting this simple answer . . .

IC: "All things have unique energy and a disrupted aura can be healed," Rendia repeated clearly. "I understand," she said, but inwardly she was absorbing the teaching whole-heartedly. How wonderful to discover!
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi nodded, “Good.

“The next stage is too be able to see the aura. What I want you to do is to enter a centred trance.

“Close your eyes, and allow your body to relax. Listen to my voice, and follow my commands.

“Feel yourself relaxing, starting from the top of your head, feel your muscles relaxing, letting go all the tension, and letting go of your conscious thought. Feel yourself relax and your consciousness fall through your body,” Naomi’s calm quiet voice intoned her instructions with practiced calm and an even inflection.

“Look inside yourself, and try and find the centre of your being …”

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”