As Time Goes By - A Time Jump for Rendia

Moderator: Mods

Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia snapped out of her thoughts enough to remember she was being spoken to.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, yes, I think it's a very beautiful song. I would love to hear the story," she amended with her usual difference and the natural humility that came to her as easy as breathing. Aware that she was not permitted to grovel before anyone, except in her heart before Anasis, she straightened her back again uncomfortably. It hurt. When she slept, it was in a relived little curl on the floor. But now she was awake and making a great effort to look at the man when she talked to him.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Travis nodded his head, "then I will begin." For some reason the story he told seemed to flow into the subcoincious reaches of Rendia's mind, and she seemed to experience it rather than simply hear it, a most unusal sensation.

The story told of a land long ago, and nearly forgotten, of a couple locked in a battle to bring an untenable love to fruition. It was a common tale, but somehow this tale seemed even sadder than most.

The young womans family took her from their home in the hills and moved to the seaside, in a village far removed from her homeland.

The story further told of the trials the young man endured to find her, and consumate their love. But it seemed in the tales of his trials the true story lay.

He battled mages, and demons. Orcs and dragons, and somehow came through. There was something about an artifact, a staff it was, that seemed central to much of the story.

And then Travis finished.

It was strange. Rendia knew she had heard the whole story, but couldn't recall half of the specifics, only the general gist of the story.

The young man seemed exhausted, as if he had lived the story himself, as he told it too her.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

She was vaugely disturbed, wondering, but unable to do anything, for it was like walking through the mud of some mystical lake, where one can think of escaping, but is doomed to loose themselves forever anyway. Rendia kept trying to fight the strange story into it's proper place again, as only words, but it did not cooperate, it took her along in a way that made her feel helpless, as if Anasis herself had decreed she should be washed along with it.

When she was aware that Travis had finished and yet she could not recall anything, she was beset with urges to weep an mourn for what she could not remember but was under the impression she had felt. Something in the telling of this story had gone wrong, something was wrong with the way it had absorbed and given nothing back. For the life of her Rendia wished she could panic at the sensation, but her resources were much occupied with keeping her thinking at all today. In the fog as thick as water, Rendia gasped out a prayer to Anasis once more.

Forgive us for our weakness, oh merciful Anasis, but do not let your servant, the people who you have sustained, be swallowed by anything you do not bring. Only your power be over me, Anasis, please... your hand on me and no one elses.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

It is alright my child, there is no evil in what he tells you, or how it is told, it is the secret of the story, and way he talks, be at peace, and lsitern. Discern what there is too know, and learn.

Both you and he have much to learn from each other, though neither of you know this yet.
And a small glimpse of something passed across Rendia's mind. She saw someone in front of her, vaguely familiar, but she wasn't sure why, leading the way through a shady path. Streange trees and more green than she had ever believed possible surrounded her, and then the glimpse was gone, and she was back with Travis.

He looked at her with a vision of concern, not sure if he had offended, or upset her. "Are you OK, you seem a bit, um, distant."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia looked miserable. "I don't remember, how can I learn if I don't remember," she was murmuring. It felt oppressive and unnatural.

Slowly comming out of her pout, Rendia took hold of the words of Anasis and tried to calm down. She didn't like it, she didn't like it at all... but anything that Anasis could allow was better then a million things she could do for herself. Still she struggled again... until the path and the trees made her forget the feeling of helplessness, forget to fight. ANd it left her akwardly back in the world she could touch again.

She tried to focus on Travis's words but stared at him dumbly. OK?

"I... am I ok?" she hesitated. "I guess so," she finally stated. After another pause she added. "I can't remember..."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The corners of Travis mouth twisted into a smile, not a smile of derision or humour, but rather of understanding and shared emotions.

"Oh, I know how you feel, I'm not sure I really remember all of the story. But, it seems that bits of it come to mind when I need them most, you'd be surprised how much has lodged in your subconcious. I can only access it in a trance, and then I repeat it by rote, now we share part of my masters gift," and the smile touched his eyes for the first time.

"It is part of the learning I have undertaken at his side. Do you remeber the staff in the story? Well it's what I'm meant to be looking for, but I'm not really sure where it is, and now the ship has been wrecked, and I turn up looking ike a child." Travis shook his head, for the first time he looked like a young man, truely lost and worried about his future.
Last edited by rhoddin on Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia didn't like this and wished that the goddess had never asked her to any of it. She felt these feelings rise and struggled to fight against them and make a great effort to keep her face blank. Since when could she afford to please herself? The gods know what they do. The balance tipped once more in so many moments and she found herself feeling ill and curious, which made her more sick at herself.

Say something... you are supposed to DO something, speak, SPEAK!

Jolted by her own nervousness, she visibly twitched and said in a choking manner, "I'm sorry" genuinely sorry that he should bear such an unnatural curse of grief. "Your story is lost to me, but you told me before you started it was sad," and her face for a moment was allowed to share some of the sadness within herself, her own understanding of pain. Feeling she should say more, she said without thinking, "Then your lost love is also real?"
Last edited by Gia as Rendia on Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The young man stirred at Rendia's reply, before he answered her "It is not lost, but hidden. It will come too you when you need to know, it is part of the magic, if you like, of the language."

A queer look passed over his face at Rendia's last observation. "No, I have not lost my love, in fact I don't think I've ever had a love to lose," and he chuckled softly, a rather sad sound to be sure. "It is part of the story, although I believe the story is basically true.

"It is the artifact, the staff I seek for my master. Although I sometimes wonder why he sent me, rather than search himself." The young man was silent for a moment.

He asked Rendia a strange question, "What do you know of the gods?" Why would a trainee mage need to ask someone else about the the gods?
Last edited by rhoddin on Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia considered for a moment. Why would he? Maybe it was a blessing. She didn't know how to bring up topics that might help her obey the command of Anasis that kept her here and trying to speak with Travis at all. So this was one of her oppertunities.

She took her time, subconsciously pressing her lips together as she thought about her answer. Very slowly she began, "I know as much as they have decided to tell me. I suspect that what I know is not really very much at all."

After another short pause she continued, still carefully. "I know that there are many gods in many lands. I know of the gods of my land, the Master Uphuron of the Sun, and Lady Anasis, his benevolent wife, Mistress of the Lake. It is she who has been merciful to me and decided I should live," Rendia finished, speaking matter of factly so that she would not falter or sound too bold. Here, she waited for some sort of response that might tell her how, or if, she should continue.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The young man looked across art Rendia, and then struggled in his bed, before managing to leaver himself up to a reclined position, his pillow supporting his head.

"I must be feeling better, at least I can get off the mattress now," he seemed to be talking to himself mainly.

He looked across at Rendia again, and rubbed his chin, "Um, yes, I know there are many gods. I was sort of wondering more about the nature of the gods.

"Like where does their power come from, and can their followers really use the power of the gods? My master says they can, but a mage uses his own power, and that of the world around him, or her. It just intrigues me, that's all."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia didn't want him to feel better, but that was not a worthy desire. She did not let herself panic in any way, she was too preoccupied with the enormity of the answer she was now to give. The nature of the gods themselves?

"What mortal can know!" Rendia exclaimed as her head spun. "Some would say that because they are gods they have power. A woman I know was certain that power came from the very definition of being a god. A man I knew was not so certain. He said it may be that devine power is theirs to wield, but that those that follow gods in the first place are the source of a gods... what did he call it... area of authority was the idea..." Rendia said, finishing her thoughts almost to herself as well and looking rather insecure. Her shoulders were slipping downwards and her face was twisted up in deep consideration.

"I have seen a few followers use the power of the gods..." Rendia finished, as she sat their absorbing the topic of conversation.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The young man nodded his head. "I was just wondering, the Staff, is the stuff of the gods, I think. I was wondering if someone else could give me a clue."

And Illuminatus gave a Staff unto him
And the Staff held the power to Illuminate even the darkest way
For Illuminatus favoured the young man and his quest.

But the other gods did not approve of such gifts,
And Uphorn hexed the Satff.
Only one who could pass the test he would set could Illuminatus' Staff
And then only at his own peril.

Somewhere Rendia knew the story of the Staff. Where had it come from? But it was there, as if she had heard it only a burn earlier.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia tried to understand the connection between his questions, but it was too abstract for her at the moment. The feeling that she had forgotten bothered her too much.

"The most valuable things take the most work," she tried. "Why shouldn't Uphuron want this staff of power to be wielded by someone worthy? The gods affairs were their own to judge..." she thought aloud.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Travis jerked up, "Uphuron's Staff, did you say it was Uphuron's Staff. IT is another clue, but what would Uphuron's Staff yield. Tell me about Uphuron, what is he the god of, I must know," the young man blurted out. He spoke so quickly almost in a panic that words nearly flowed into one another, and Rendia detected more than just a slight acccent in his voice, maybe the result of his rush to speak.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: Now that I see this, I remember that I tried to answer twice, lost my post twice, and decided I should come back to it. Obviously I hadn't yet. ^^'''

IC: "Tell you of Uphuron?" Rendia repeated, her mind a confused blur. "But you just said... I mean I thought. It is Illuminatus who gave the... I know nothing, but what I've learned from my own land. That Uphuron is a strong god, and a god for the strong. The sun is his, and the people his to punish and cause to be great. His wife is the lady of the lake, Anasis, and between them is perfect balance, balance is the key, for mercy you pray to Anasis. From the gods comes life, light, water, understanding... It just sounded like something Uphuron would do, protect the staff with trials to prove the owners worth..." Rendia finished, feeling hurried and breathless herself.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

A look of comprehension suddenly crossed the young mans face, "Illuminatius' Staff, and Uphuron has put a spell on it, now I see," his eyes suddenly focused on Rendia, and she bcame aware of the power that lurrked in the young man, but the look he gave her was not one to fear, but one of exhaltation.

"I, well we really, know some more of the riddle. So if it's Illuminatus' staff, it must be a stff of light, and Uphuron is a god of the sun and strength." His eyes lost their focus again as he seemed to be pondering to himself.

"So a staff of light, maybe the spell is about heat, or strength of character," Rendia could almost see Travis scratching his head, although his hands never left his side.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia looked at him doubtfully. He was very strange, but he didn't scare her.

"Whatever it was sounded powerful," she ventured. She looked puzzled herself. What was he trying to figure out? Why was he telling her? And how was she supossed to 'seek his pain...'
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Yes very powerful indeed, my master would seek nothing else," mused the young man. "But why a Staff of Light, where would he use it."

For the first time Rendia caught a slight hint of, was it concern maybe, in his tone as he talked to himself about his Master.

"Where would you use it?" The tone of his question indicated he was thinking of someone in particular with his reference to you, the question was more than rhetorical.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia idly tried to figure out how the ownership of this staff would work if the young man was the one who proved himself worthy of it. That didn't seem to fit. Then she took up the pah of the conversation again and answered a little more freely, holding up her careful tension and defenses with a little less concern. In the back of her mind she remembered to sit up straight again. It bothered her, but she did not show it. She was thinking. Her eyes went from the distress of grey blue, to a more neutral grey again.

"You know best your master and his ways," Rendia said, pausing for a good while before speaking again. "I would..." she started, noting that she wasn't really sure of his question's full meaning.

I would use the light to show the darkness of slavery in the shadows of Amun Ra.

The thought was a guilty pleasure, and Rendia immediately began begging forgiveness if anyone was listening to her insignificant mind.

"...I... I would not be entrusted with such a power. I could not pass terrible tests of the gods that prove worthiness, and I do not think Anasis would will me to work through something like that. It is too forceful. It is not related to her. With a power like... light, the wielder must be worthy in that he must be capable, but he must also be able to stand before the light himself and not fall away." Her eyes darkened for a second. "I do not think many in all of Tazlure would qualify to do so."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Indeed your goal does you great credit child, do not waver from point of view... a familiar voice in her mind seemed to float through Rendia's concious thouights.

At the same time Travis managed to prop himself up on an elbow, and looked at Rendai again. "I dare say you could pass more tests, and be more worthy for a lot of things than you give yourself credit for," and he stumbled, as if unsure, "Rendia."

He eyes looked away, as if he too was abashed about something.

When he looked back, the ghost of some haunted look was in his eyes. "I fear I know my master less than I thought. I can think of few places he would go that a staff of light would aid him, and those few places scare me more than I care to admit."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia would've smiled dreamily if she had been a normal person at the whisper in her mind, but since she was not, her eyes only betrayed her by lightening until they looked almost green, and then mellowing into content grey once more as the voice turned to memory and her stone still face looked somewhere around the man's right cheek without fear. He was speaking again.

She stared at him blankly, and then blinked a couple of times when he said her name hesitantly.

She would not have been worried if he had not then acted ashamed.

By habit, Rendia knew better then to flinch, but all her alarms and defenses went up full force again and she visibly leaned back, more against the bed's headboard. It was not a shift for comfort, but might be interpreted thus. Like a cornered animal she stared straight into his eyes, expertly keeping up a mask of neutrality, but his look frightened her, he was being honest, open, and there were signs that demons had been there. Frozen, anticipating some change of his manner toward her, she stopped breathing when he spoke. But it was about his quest. She breathed out slowly again and leaned harder against the bed post in slight relief. He was more preoccupied with his inner struggle then anything else. But she had let her guard down, and it would not go so easily again.

The spirits are many therefore the haunted are many.

She tried to reach out again, purely because she had been given a vague task she could not let go of. "None but the gods know all there is to know of even a single man's heart... why do the places scare you?" Rendia asked, heart sinking at the enormity of unknowns in this unusual conversation.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"To be honest Rendia," and this time he was more confident in using her name, "I am not truely sure of Masters intention.

"I was given over to him very young, by parents who did not understand the gift I had. In my village, they feared what they did not understand, and that included me. But for all of that, I still my parents child, a child of small farming village, I think, but my Master is different. His concerns, and plans stretch beyond where we live," and a slight shudder passed through Travis as he spoke.

"He seems to search for answers in places that are dark, and forbidding," or maybe he said forbidden, a soft burr in his voice made the word hard to identify. "And not all he finds is wholesome. I fear where he searches, and what it is he hopes to find. But he is my master, and I am bound to him."

Even the darkest of places will come into the Light
When Illuminatus' staff shine upon them

There it was again, a part of the story that Rendia knew she had heard, had just popped inot her head, with no bidding.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia didn't like not knowing what was spoken and what was a sudden thought. The line was very odd. She didn't know what to make of Travis any longer, his story confused her, his mood scared her a little.

She shrugged then, truly at a loss. It seemed a very great problem, and she had no idea what she was expected to say about it.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Travis sighed as Rendia shrugged, it appeared to the young man she had nothing further to offer him on the matter of the staff at this time.

"Well it seems my line of enquiry has come to little at this time, but maybe later." He was silent for a few flickers, lying back again and watching the ceiling, seemingly content.

"Would you tell me little of yourself. You know something of me, and I know nothing of you. Would that be so bad?" He didn't look at her, but it was hard not to hear the note of pleading in his voice, maybe he too needed some company and too talk about things.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia considered Travis's responses quietly. It puzzled her that in a strange way, she should seem to know a snatch more then the man himself at every turn. The sudden phrases startled and frightened her, and she did not know if it was her responsibility to share every little insight for this person or not. Was it the will of Anasis that she should help? That she should be a momentary channel to this unusul character? She did not WANT to get involved with this epic search for the staff of Illuminatus. What if, from the doubt Travis had about his master, the staff was never meant for them? Was this the young man in the first story? Who else was involved in this mystery, what powers besides Uphuron and Illuminatus were interested in the outcome? Why was she sent to a pivotal character in this surreal drama, fallen into her lap, when she only wanted to serve Anasis, be it by healing, service, or sacrifice. A comforting idea had been playing at the back of her mind...

But what of now? What should she tell him? Certaintly not what she had confessed to Naomi. That would be far too much, and it was only for the servant of Anasis, Naomi herself to be listener to. Rendia did not really wish anyone else to know the details. Now what did she wish to say about the general circumstances? Nothing. She did not want to go back into her past. She wanted to serve now. How? She had to say something, he had asked. She also needed to decide, and quickly, if she was truly going to cut herself off from this unnerving venture now or if she would see where it took her. So much to consider... it was worse then her studies. She would sleep well tonight.

"I have been freed by Anasis of the past. I now live for her and in her service and I study here at this amazing isle to become her healer. That is why I was brought here. I have nothing of my past to offer anyone," she paused, knowing her answer was unfinished and dreading its conclusion. "What..." she halted, sitting up again and leaning forward ever so slightly as she allowed herself this tense conversation. "What do YOU need? How am I to serve you?" She did not ask him, it was asked to the entire earth if they cared to hear her. It was asked of her goddess, in whom she found the only answers. And it pulled her own heart out of her because it asked how much she was willing to give.

But I give to Anasis... everything. If I live for her, what can I hold back? Dare I fear? No, I must always ask this sincerely... and then trust.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”