For Rendia - As time goes by

Moderator: Mods

rhoddin

For Rendia - As time goes by

Post by rhoddin »

And so for the next week Rendia oversaw the recovery of the young man known as Travis. This period of recovery was one highlighted by the awkwardness between them, which was punctuated by occasional outpourings of emotion from the young man as he gradually began to recover.

During those long days Rendia came to learn more of his background. Travis had been an unremarkable young boy, in a village of farmer folk in a distant land. She seemed to have gained the impression he came from the Eastern Empire, although he never actually said as much. However, as he grew older strange things seemed to happen when he was around, not really bad things, just strange. It seemed he had an uncanny knack of desiring a particular type of weather pattern, and suddenly it was there, or seeming to know what was about to happen, just before something did.

Well, villagers being villagers, they eventually built these small happenings into the basis of a tale of wizardry and devil worship, not that such practices where actually related, other than in their own imaginations. The young boy was shunned, and whispers began behind his back, to the point that even his parents began to doubt him.

Til one day, a strange old man happened into their village. He took one look at Travis and offered to take him as an apprentice. His parents were delighted, here was their chance to offer their son a way out of the village, but also to be rid of a problem they didn’t understand. For his part Travis wasn’t convinced about the whole prospect, but the idea and getting out of the village was, well exciting to say the least.

So they left.

The old man proved to be a trader, in human skills, and soon passed Travis onto another man. This second man became Travis’ master. A wizard of some renown, he taught Travis the basics of sorcery, understanding energy, manipulating the said energy and the like. After several yaren of being an apprentice, Travis had now moved on, and his master had charged him with one final task before ending his indenture.

The task was to find the mythical talisman, the Staff of Light. A story had been imbedded in his mind, and Travis was not keen to discuss how this was actually done, yet if he told the story to others, they might see different parts of the story than he actually knew himself. This had seemed strange at first, but it appeared that the legend was actually present in many cultures, and the story somehow triggered racial, or cultural memories often not realising what they were.

During those days they discovered more of the story between themselves, although Rendia was on occasion loathe to share here bits with Travis, her promise to her goddess encouraged her, and strengthened her when the times arose.

They now knew that the Staff had been given to a young man, to help him search for his true love, taken from him by her family to avoid their union. Illuminatus had created the Staff due to the young mans devotion to him as his god, and his undying love for his lost love. However, many of the gods thought the gift to great, and dangerous, and as a consequence Unhuron added some further charms to the Staff.

Only one pure of heart could wield the Staff, although they still didn’t know it’s true uses, other than to light even the darkest of places. Also, the wielding of the light came at a cost to the wielder, the Staff would burn with the heat of the desert storms for anyone other than the true owner who used it.

They also determined that it had been lost some time ago, many, many yaren in fact, somewhere in the Seven Isles, apparently in a place as dry as Uphuron could find. It was hidden in plain sight, whatever that meant, but had not yet found it’s true purpose.

And so morningtide came again, to find Rendia once more at Travis’ side, but this time it was different. The young man sat on the edge of his bed, about to attempt to rise for the first time since they had bought him to this place.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: Sorry, sorry, sorry for the delay! You know that one perfect post you right that doesn't get finished and then is lost...? BTW, wanting to start a run in with Lindin! Should I wait on this?

IC: Rendia had grown more accoustamed to being listened too. It was incrediblly singular, and she was learning to better accept that she could be of service to others in different ways then she was used to, and that magic... magic was unpredictable. What else was there to think.

She did not try very hard to interpret the clues. It looked like that would take experience. Rendia was in firm denial that she would ever be asked to leave the isle. Firm.

But she was glad Travis was taking a step back to health. She had faith that he would recover quickly now. He was strong.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The young man known as Travis looked across at Rendia, a rather wan smile on his angular, and by now familiar face.

"Well, here goes nothing Rendia, pray to Anasis for me, the first step is always said to be the hardest."

And he placed a hand on the rather rickety bedhead, and began to leaver himself upwards. Struggling with atrophied muscles and the lack of use of his limbs the climb off the bed was obviously painful for him.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia quietly watched him.

He has the will, Anasis. Give him the strength and may he remember the value of regaining movement.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As he began to rise it appeared his strength might fail him, a thin line of perspiration broke out across his brow. He lloked at Rendia, a note of mild panic in his green eyes, all he said was one word, and that was a croak, forced from between lips taunt with strain.

"help."
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia reached out quickly, the order moving her before conscious thought processed the request. She found herself grabing his arm and then putting it over her neck, bracing herself to help with his weight.

"You can do it, Travis," she quietly encouraged. "Come on, you can do it."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Rendia was quietly surprised by how little the young man weighed, obviously his time in convalesence had drained him greatly. But her strength was all he needed, and with her help he straightened himself, a look of joy on his angular face.

A gasp escaped his lips, "Oh, that does feel better," as he unwound his frame, swaying slightly on unsteady feet.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia found herself smiling inwardly, and made an effort to let this happiness come more easily to her reserved features. If nothing else she was learning to smile with her eyes.

She looked up at him happily, her face so used to express fear, now relaxed in safety and more joy then she had ever known. But she was not thinking about herself.

"Praise be to Anasis," she said quietly in shared triumph.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: Major computer problems. I'll be gone indefinitly, but working on snatching some time in between, so i haven't entirely dissapeared!
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

OOC: Tentative computer access regained with my settling in at college! Please advise.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

:shock: I really don't know; Rhoddin does not respond. Give me some time to read all threads that lead to this one, and I'll try to take it over single-handedly...
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

^_^; Hope I'm not too much trouble! I should probablly look over my old threads myself... X_x
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: You're worth the effort :wink:
However, at current I'm a bit at loss. Would it be to much to ask you to tell me about your tqwo previous threads from your point of view? Also, ca, you trace back the link to all threads you've had on the Isle? I seem to be missing out some information here and there...
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

IC: "It seems like you have taken great care of me." He showed a smile, but it was faint, for he was obviously still in pain.

He looked into her warm eyes. "Thank you," he said. She's actually quite pretty when she show herself. "Do you think we would manage to go outside for just a single gasp of fresh air?"

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”