Fancy Dress (Late Tradetide, Jy 31)

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Jacob Rimon
Civus

Fancy Dress (Late Tradetide, Jy 31)

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob hadn’t recognised the name of the shop, but when it came to find the place he discovered he knew the shop very well indeed. It was another of the cities landmarks, though he knew it as The Fancy Dress shop, where people with far more money than he indulged in exotic and slightly eccentric outfits. He glanced up to confirm his suspicions – that this was Audrey’s Other Wear store.

The sign outside was modest, stating the name in plain letters with only the smallest of decorations, yet the window said it all: outrageously coloured feathers were combined with the simplest of cloth into a stunning contraption, the finest of furs draped over designs that had best be named ‘inventive’.

The eye catcher undoubtedly was a regal, flowing red gown that seemed to have been made purely from rose petals, with gentle, scattered drops of gleaming beads and sequins as if they were the early morning dew buds.

It seemed an unlikely place to select an outfit that would allow him to remain hidden from those who he’d got on the wrong side of that Morningtide, and yet he didn’t want to linger in a busy street for much the same reason, and so hastened into the shop.

The entrance room of the small store in Kings Court was packed with the strangest of materials, amongst which a human sized fox-skin. Upon further examination it turns out to be made out of a cunning combination of fabrics, creating an illusion of swiftness in an outfit that strangely enough might not be out of place at an important dinner or great ball.

Jacob glanced at the amazing outfit. It struck him that it would be ironic to dress as a fox in order to evade those he supposed would be hunting him.

A sign on the counter stated: “Nobody be seen or a costume be fitted.”

Right underneath it said: “Now dressing both Citadel and King’s Court!” in a lovely flourishing handwriting.

Jacob barely noticed the sign as he looked around the shop for someone. He wasn’t quite sure what to say when he found someone. He quickly realised he’d have to think of something when he noticed movement amongst the clothing and materials deeper into the shop.

In the back of the room a young man on his early twenties was standing in front of an undressed wooden dummy. He was absentmindedly scratching at his short dark hair, his distant brown eyes concentrating on the mannequin. Lifting his right hand, he started biting on his nails as he slowly walked around the wooden dummy, trying to grasp something which he could only see. With a small frown, he took the gossamer fabric hanging around his neck and artfully flung it upon the air, intently watching it slowly descend, feather-like, upon the wooden dummy.

Arching an eyebrow, he smiled boyishly.

Jacob coughed into his hand, then once he was sure he had the attention of the young man, who he guessed to be a little older than him. “Excuse me, sir? Does Lady Debrona have some sort of account here? I’ve been asked to report here to get myself something a little less… scruffy…”
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Scheherazade
Civus

Post by Scheherazade »

He was quite happy to be back in Kings Court, he had been staying for more than a yahren in the Citadel that he had almost forgotten how Kings Court looked like. He had missed the city when he had stayed in the Citadel, the stench, the chaos and even the religious observance that he had ignored, but come to think of it, that last part, he didn't miss that much. He believed he had enough of religious observance to last him for a lifetime when he entered as a minor acolyte in the Basilica a few yahrens ago. He had learned a lot from his aunt this last yahren and he hold her dear to his heart, for without his aunt Audrey's support and trust, he wouldn't be where he was now...

He then paused and stepped back from the wooden mannequin before him. Slightly, he frowned and then absentmindedly started nail biting, his brown eyes distant as he gazed at the naked wooden form, as if watching something he could only see and then suddenly seeing what he was doing, the young tailor frowned at his hand and sighed, remembering that Jorickson did not approve of him biting his nails. But what could he do? his friend, Jorickson, had demanded quite adamantly for him to stop smoking, and even with a lot of tantrums and cheap theatrics, his friend refused to be ignored. So, defeated, the dark-haired tailor had quit smoking and started biting his nails.

"...coz without love,
Life is like a beat that you can't follow!
"

With a distant twinkle on his eyes as if thinking of someone, knowing that he was alone in the shop, he absentmindedly started singing with a small boyish grin, his voice tenor, his focus still upon the wooden mannequin that stood before him.

"Without love,
Life is Doris Day at the Apollo,
Darling, I'll be yours foreve---
"

It was then that a cough interrupted his singing and quite surprised, the young man turned abruptly to face the client that had silently walked upon him and caught him in this penchant act. With a sheepish smile, the dark-haired tailor assumed a professional look, although, his brown eyes still held the gleaming look of boyish mischief. "Buon giorno, signore!" the young man exclaimed politely and gave the customer a professional smile. He had a short, dark brown hair, his face angular, his complexion light-brown, his built medium with the carpenter standing fivee inches taller.

"Welcome to Audrey's Otherwear," He had a Mouthie accent and he stepped forward to meet Jacob. The tailor was wearing the most current fashion in Kings Court with a measuring tape around his neck and a short stick on his right ear. "Si, signore..." He paused, trying to fish for the customer's name and then continued. "Signora Debrona is one our valued cliente. Is the signore perchance the husband of the signora? And what might the signore be needing?" With a polite questioning look, he led the carpenter to the receiving area and gestured for him to take a seat on one of the cushioned sofa.
Last edited by Scheherazade on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

The singing had been a little weird, and the clothes the man wore seemed to mark him as at least part way as eccentric as the rest of the contents of the shop, but when the man spoke Jacob found himself speechless. His mouth opened to answer, but no words came out. He wasn't quite sure what to say. He frowned, then tried again.

"I'm... ah... No, I'm not the Sig... Sig-nora Debrona's husband..." Jacob's mouth hung open - not having met the woman yet he didn't know whether it was good or bad to be associated with the Lady, although bearing in mind his clothing and her status he was bewildered as to how the mistake might've been made. Perhaps, being a client of this establishment, she was every way as eccentric as it was. Certainly her daughter seemed a little... hmmm... not eccentric... funny...

Jacob followed the tailor to the seats, and realised he'd stopped speaking again. He sat down, and tried again.

"I'm supposed to be doing some work at Signora Debrona's house. Some carpentry. Ah... putting up some shelves, I think. So I need something that won't hinder me in that respect. And... well... I don't really know what else to say. I was employed by her daughter, and it was a maid who suggested I come here first, with little word of what sort of clothing I should get." Jacob shrugged. The tailor seemed like a nice enough guy. Surely he wouldn't make this any more awkward than it was.
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Scheherazade
Civus

Post by Scheherazade »

A pause, a very infinitesimal pause as the young tailor regarded the carpenter before him, his eyebrows arched in mild surprise. "Ah, mi spiace, signore!" He replied, giving the younger man an apologetic smile. "I assumed..." He paused once more, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "The women of King's Court are quite... peculiar in their taste of.." He trailed off and blinked a few times, realizing what he was saying, and then mildly coughed his statement away.

Of course, he had not met Lady Debrona but he had seen her name more than few times in the account books of the shop. How he hated doing that chore! Numbers and arithmetic were odious, something, the young tailor thought, was a creation of the Mad One God to torture those who were not mathematically well endowed. Why, the mere mention of mathematics and numbers sent his mind reeling away into an empty dimension --which, Jacob could clearly see the young tailor's eyes drifting away into a blank stare at that moment-- of boredom. Thank the One that Jorickson was there to help him. His friend was great in numbers and mathematics. Back in the Basilica, when they were both minor acolytes, the young tailor envied his friend's talent in mathematics, philosophy, and logic while he, the aminoribus, the youngest of the Minor Acolytes, could hardly keep up with arithmetic.

"Capisco, signor." The dark-haired tailor replied after a few flickers of silence, his distant eyes suddenly coming alive and focusing upon the carpenter once more. Of course, he was a bit disappointed that the client merely wanted a workman's clothes, not something grand for a ball or for a night out in the city, but, the young man was a customer and a client's demand must take precedence above all else. With a small frown, he regarded the young man before him from the sole of his shoes to the tip of his hair, professionally looking at him with stylish eyes. Ah, yes, the Signore definitely needs style! Well, if I cannot make a stylish garb for the Signore then I shall bring style to his garb!

"A working attire then, Signore?" He asked, mentally browsing through the choices of fabrics he would offer the carpenter. "I am thinking of something... " He trailed of, frowning in deep thought, snapping his fingers. "...utilitarian yet stylish at the same time. Probably something you can use in your... carpentry, is it? or whatever chosen vocation you have for yourself, and at the same time, you can use in a social gathering, festivity, special dinner or party you may want to attend and still be stylish. Probably two layers... A doublet, probably with detachable sleeves, and a sleeveless shirt, something light and soft. Perhaps, another layer of coat you can just don over for formal occasions or affairs, something that would entirely change your style once you wear it. Hmn… Carpentry… The detachable sleeves of the doublet could be joined together to form a sash or a belt with pockets inside, I presume you will need one for your rigorous work, signore.” The young tailor paused and waited for the young carpenter to comment before continuing. “Do you have any preference for colors and fabrics or would you allow me to choose for you? Do you have a budget in mind?”

“Now, signore, I will need to take your measurements.” He took off his measuring tape from around his neck, stepped back and gestured for the young carpenter to stand in the center of the room.
Last edited by Scheherazade on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob had never encountered a man such as this one, with his accent and ability to reel off questions and suggestions, and his generally buoyant personality. Jacob found himself smiling, but confused, and struggled to find answers to the questions.

"I... yes... a light outfit sounds excellent. And, well, detachable sleeves? I... ah... that sounds like a novel approach. They can be turned into a belt? Yes, I see, that would be 'practical' I suppose..." It all sounded a little too complex. Jacob still held in his hands the dirty hooded cloak he'd removed in Sinners Square - he was used to having to wear heavy weight clothing whilst not working, and at some times a job demanded he work outside in bad weather, but in general he did tend to remain indoors, with as little to encumber him as possible.

"I don't really know what colours would suit the household - I was hoping you might have some of those details here. Again I don't really know what sort of budget I have been spared, as I was hoping all such details might've been relayed to you ahead of my visit. I only visited the house for the first time last night, so it's all been a bit of a rush!" Jacob paused, and suggested "Perhaps if you could be conservative with your budget and moderate with your creativity. I like the idea of an overcoat, as you can see that my cloak has seen better days." Jacob waved the bundle vaguely, then said quietly "I suppose I should get rid of this old thing. Do you have somewhere I might be able to dispose of it?"

Jacob understood about measurements being taken, but felt a little self conscious about the whole thing. "I don't suppose you know if the house has a coat of arms, or family motto?" the carpenter asked, to avoid an uncomfortable silence. "Some sort of animal motif, perhaps?"
Scheherazade
Civus

Post by Scheherazade »

"A novel approach, Signore?" the young tailor gave Jacob an amused look. "Why, the signore must know, it is beyond novelty. This is couture! One of a kind! This design is only for you!" He could sense a hint of hesitation upon the carpenter's voice and he knew he was moving way too fast for him. That was the problem sometimes, people tend to be hesitant when faced with new things. It was a bit painful educating Jorichson about what to wear and how to wear it. He had to usually fight his friend when packing his clothes for him for a business trip. Of course, the dark-haired tailor knew that Jorichson just let him win his way just to avoid arguments. "Why, the signore can go to any gathering in this city wearing our design and be confident enough that no one would be wearing the same exact ensemble."

"Consider this dress, Signore." The dark-haired tailored turned and casually pointed at the window where a red dress stood to be seen by the passersby, his Mouthie accent cutting through his explanation. "The fabric of that dress is unique. The fabric is made entirely from petals of red roses all joined together. The petals will never wilt nor will the colors fade. We had the fabric specially made from the University of Magick back in the Citadel of the Seven Isles. It costs us a fortune, but it is well worth it. Why, any respectable Signora with enough fashion sense would instantly see how unique the dress is."

Returning his gaze back to the carpenter, the young tailor burst out a small laughter and gave Jacob a sheepish smile. "Perdonilo, Signore. Forgive me, I must have bored you with all that." Assuming another professional look, he continued, "It is the summer season so it is practical for you to use light fabrics. We cannot have you sweating like a common pig, Signore. Heavy wool is then out of the picture. Perhaps, cotton for your shirt and light linen for your doublet and cashmere for your overcoat."

"Sono spaciente, Signore!" The young tailor apologized, his Mouthie accent clearly was worried. "But I have not received any instructions from the Household of Lady Debrona. But do not worry, we can put the charge on her account and send her the bill. I can send a messenger immediatamente for the initial deposit. I must ask the Signore if he is a permanent employee of the household to merit the use of their household color and coat of arms?" He asked delicately, his boyish face courteous and polite. "Any metallic color is the rage this summer season, Signore." He suggested politely. "Now, I shall take your measurements. Please just stand, Signore, and let me work around you."

With a serious frown, the dark-haired tailor then took a small paper from inside his vest and the small stick wedged on his right ear. Slowly, he worked around the carpenter, measuring him and jotting down all the numbers on his paper. He was cordial, his touches light, polite and professional, moving and walking around Jacob as meticulously as he could. Politely instructing the younger carpenter on what needed to be done in order to get his measurements. It was done after a few burns or so.

He then scrutinized the carpenter's old cloak, gazing at it. "Dispose of it? what do you mean, Signore? Are you not going to use it anymore? Such a waste! May I suggest donating it to the Basilica for the poor? Another person would surely make use of such clothing, even if it be old or used. I could direct you to an old acquaintance of mine in the Basilica. I am still in contact with some of the novice brothers residing there back when I was still a minor acolyte of the One."

"Now Signore, I must ask you to be back for the intial fitting tomorrow, around tradetide." The young tailor said, taking the parchment with Jacob's measurement, folding and pocketing it inside his pocket, he then took the measuring tape and place it around his neck and then wedged the small stick on his right ear once more. "If the initial fitting works perfectly tomorrow, which I assure you it would, then you can pick your clothes by the thirty-third of Jygust."
Last edited by Scheherazade on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WILL WORK FOR FASHION!
Supporting Taz's Fashion Style since 1224 AD

"A wolf in sheep's clothing is wearing 100% wool!"
Post Rate: Slow

Return to “Kings Court”