ENTRANCE: Vigilent Gates - Jygust 31st 1225 AD - Tradetide

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

ENTRANCE: Vigilent Gates - Jygust 31st 1225 AD - Tradetide

Post by Ashari »

As one would approach the wide, packed dirt path which lead to the gates of the 'Star of the Kingdom', they would behold one of the largest cities on the continent. Massive walls surrounded a sprawling city which sat comfortably in a seaside location. The sea to one side, the grass and trees of the Downs on the other. It was an impressive bastion of western culture, but the city was not without its scars.

King's Court had most certainly seen war and it had taken its toll on the defenses of the town. The South and West walls had suffered severe damage. The gates themselves, those Vigilant Gates of heavy oak proudly displaying the shield of arms of the king, were gone, replaced by rough cut wood from the fields surrounding Kings Court. Reconstruction of the gates has been put on hold given current dire circumstances within the city. In spite of the damaged state of the city, she was still the grand capital of the Western Kingdoms. A constant drone of humanity flooded over the walls as people went about their daily business. The shuffle of townspeople walking, the clacking of nobles riding by on carriage; it all came together as one single chorus of life.

A wall of stony-faced military men were blockading the gate. At least four soldiers could be found on the ground and that number again could be seen patrolling the wall near the gate with crossbows readied. The city was in turmoil with the declaration of martial law at hand and the new power was taking no chances in regards to security. It was these men who stopped for questioning any and all who would enter the city.

As travelers approached the gates they were greeted by a quick battery of questions. Sergeant Kaine Wilthrope, a thin human of medium height, would inquire, "I need your name- your entire name. Also, tell me your business here in King's Court. Lastly, I'm going to need to know your religious allegiance- Do you pay respects to our One God, Dominicus?"
Last edited by Ashari on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Caranthiir Elensar
Civus

Post by Caranthiir Elensar »

He looked no different from the hundreds of people pouring into the city, just another half breed, nothing special about him. A black cloak, old and travel worn draped his shoulders, only allowed fleeting glances at the body underneath. He lifted a slender hand to brush aside stray locks of hair as he approached the soldiers at the gates.

He tilted his head and listened as the line slowly moved onward, memorizing a few names out of habit, but chances are he'd forget them within the next hour or so. As he shuffled forward with the crowd, his eyes scanned the area around him, he grimaced at the thought of giving his full name, then decided it wouldn't pose too big a problem. After all, Caranthiir was just a small time thief, no great wanted criminal or anything.

Finally, it was his turn, he stopped in front of the sergeant and bowed his head in a polite and humble greeting. "Caranthiir Elensar, I'm here to..." ah...here a problem came up. He had come, in hopes of better applying his craft, but he couldn't very well tell that to a soldier. "...I've come to visit family, yes...family, my uncle lives here and it's been a good long while since I've spoken to the old coot," he offered a pleasant and charming smile, hoping his story was at least somewhat believable. "I pay and offer respect to all the gods, Dominicus is no exception to to this. I humbly pay respect and homage to the One God."
Samus Tam
Civus

Post by Samus Tam »

Her jaw dropped in amazement as she took in the view of the city. For the first time in her young life Samus was overwhelmed. The sheer amount of humanity flooding through the gates was a little unsettling for the young Gnome she simply hadn't seen anything like this before!

She gazed upon the city gates in amazement. She quickly concluded that it had to be the work of a gnome for it was simply to magnificent to behold.
The line was simply moving too slow for the Gnome. Samus thought it odd that each and every individual entering the city was being questioned. What was that about? Her gaze eventually fell upon the architecture of the city gates lovely.

Samus stood before the guard looking bewildered. She knew by the tone of his voice that he had asked her questions, but for the life of her she couldn't understand what he asked! Oh dear, she had assumed that everyone spoke Gnomish!
Last edited by Samus Tam on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Money is a wise mans religion"

Return to “Kings Court”