Shore Leave - Jygust 31st, late TT

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Shore Leave - Jygust 31st, late TT

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

The nexus, the hub; the focal point of trade in the Western Kingdom focused here. Faces from all over the world intermingled in this place. Lives, hopes, dreams; it all flowed as fluidly as the bustling throng of bodies could carry them. Here the people flowed like water, filling every crevice, boiling over every stand. Each looking for something in the hopes that it might be found.

Space along the Avenue in Kings Court was expensive, for it was that road, that single hundred-yard stretch of earthen pack that has made this quarter so famous. Competition between dealers tended to be brutal, if not deadly. Street thugs hide in every crack, and pickpockets from the Poor Quarter wait for the right opportunity. The unguarded never last long in this place. But it was the way of business in the kingdom, as it always had been here.

The ground was sodden hard beneath the tireless trample of thousands of feet. No face was too unusual for this place, especially for the merchants who have seen it all. These men are masters of diplomacy. Storefronts several homes in size lean over the broad color-speckled river of bustling throng within it. One must shout if they wish to be heard; but being heard will mean the attention of thousands.

Long slender banners of gold, crimson, silver and white twirled over the heads of the people within, each longer than the one before it. The Merchants changed them daily; always planning one that will better catch the eye of a passerby. The storefronts are pointed like triangles towards the center of the street. When viewed from above, it seems as if huge jaws of teeth are closing in over the flow of people traveling within.

Shops remained opened and those souls who chose to ignore the current state of King's Court continued their day to day business.

With rolling and unsteady gait upon the unnaturally stable and level surface of dry land, Ezekiel's booted feet unhurriedly but unerringly led him to the mercurial heart of the city... the heaving bosom, if you will. The pirate was cheerful, with a beer or two inside warming his guts, and enough coin to enjoy the exotic attractions of the teeming city. Such were his small ambitions this free tradetide: very little of merit played upon his mind, besides a vague desire to find himself a new jacket of some variety. (The old one had worn through both elbows, and while this might have been repairable, shortly after that had suffered burns at the kick of a cannon and the remains were little more than a dish rag. This turn of events had vexed the rover greatly, for the soldier he'd killed to take it had been a tough match and he'd considered that jacket a treasure hard-won.)

Zeke supposed that if no comparable jacket were forthcoming in the Avenue of Trade, then he might still hold out hope of liberating one from the corpse of some future enemy, if an enemy of decent attire should make himself available. So his quest had no great urgency - in truth, it was merely an excuse, for Master Lee rarely enjoyed much time upon the land... and when he was lucky enough to find himself shorewards, it more often than not was in the tiny pirate haven of Nether's Gate... and if not that, then there was invariably work to be done. To be allowed to wander the streets freely for a mark or two, without any particular goal in mind except to enjoy the alien landscape of a teeming city, was somewhat liberating: a far cry from the cramped bunks and rocking planks of his usual home at sea. Not that Ezekiel entertained any ideas of giving up his nautical lifestyle; he loved it far too dearly for that. But the change was somewhat refreshing. It was like a little holiday, and now that worries of future employment were put from his mind, he could enjoy it thoroughly knowing that it would safely end, and life might return (in good time) to more familiar avenues.

This, of course, would also be the ideal place to learn a little more about the climate of this particular city; this would be the heart of its rumour-mill and the financial soul of the place, wrapped in a throng of people, where a person could blend into the fabric and learn any number of things. Perhaps Zeke's feet had good sense of direction, then, for the pirate attached was always looking for some good trouble to get into, even if he only had a mark or two to spare.

...fer example... I wonder what our good lady Cap'n is fleein' from so directly...? Zeke mused, in passing. What kind fate 'as 'er runnin' from 'ere like 'er tail's on fire... an' what am I gettin' meself into by agreein' ta join 'er...?
Last edited by Ezekiel Lee on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=92][i]I believe there's a storm a' brewin',
Nine crows at nine o'clock nigh.[/i][/size]
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Zeke's feet carried him swiftly from the desolation of the farmers village to the bustle of the Vigilent Gates and beyond to the Avenue of Trade - the main street of King's Court that ran like a strong vein through the heart of the city. It divided the left and right ventricle's as well as the rich from the poor. Here, on the Avenue of Trade, one was met with the precarious middle.

A town crier, the same that had been announcing a hanging of a pirate this morning had fresh news. "Commander of the Army Michel Carbonneau sends a message!

Dear people of the Western Kingdom,

Our country has been through a lot in the past yahren. We have lost our great King Balthasar in the last war when the traitors of Worlds Mouth turned against us.

Ever since then, a lot of power hungry people have sought to win the Crown, but we have been able to stop them. The time to watch the old elite argue about who has more claim on the throne is over. I have fought side by side with the Great King Balthasar in many battles and I know that this is not what he would have wanted for his people.

It is therefore that I, Michel Carbonneau, Commander of the Western Kingdom Armies, declare Martial Law to be in effect all throughout the Western Kingdom until further notice. This means that the military is now in control of the normal administration of justice.

The discussions have taken too long and our country needs leadership. Starting today, the military will help with distributing food to the poor, rebuild the walls around our city and help to fight the crime.

There will also be a council tonight. That council will not end until a new King has been chosen. It is what you, the people of the Western Kingdom, deserve. It is what Dominicus wants and we shall honor Him by proving to him that we can make His Kingdom in Tazlure glorious once more.

I call upon all of you to meet me in Court Common at late Trade Tide. Together we will walk to the Palace. Together we will let the members of the council know that we demand a true leader, a true King! In the name of Dominicus!
"

This voice was paid attention to above all others, and a vast crowd had gathered around him. These Criers were stationed at important hubs of activity around the city.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

...martial law...? This place be more in turmoil than I reckoned. It'll be a fine turn of events, if it can be turned to our cause. And this upstart be a soldier, no less? Hmm.

It was immediately clear to Zeke from the words of the crier that this was some sort of absolute takeover, the work of just one man who might as well already be calling himself King - and, no doubt, shortly would be. For no man might call about martial law and demand a council session single-handed unless the decision of successor were, for all intents and purposes, already made. Surely, this would cause some ill feelings among the people, and coupled with the closed docks, all might soon be feeling restless under the strain of a changing ruler. So taken up was he with these thoughts that he paused in his wanderings, a broad and lopsided smile crossing his tanned face. It could be a very perfect opportunity, for none were easier to turn pirate than the willing; and this Michel character sounded as though he were making them more willing by the flicker.

...wonder if the navy be loyal ta this... Michel? An' even if they be so, I'll wager they ain't too 'appy by this unscheduled shore leave. No man a' th' sea likes to be kept ashore fer longer than he's willin', an' I know that only too well meself. An' I'll bet they ain't willin', neither.

Skirting around the edge of the crowd with easy and unhurried gait, Ezekiel kept his ears open to the reactions of the people that had gathered. While Michel tried to rally them to demand a new king, he was also (essentially) demanding that they all behave and stop trading. For no trade (of any great import) was flowing out of the city while the docks were closed... and none would feel particularly safe in their homes while martial law was declared. Zeke suspected that this would not make the people particularly receptive to this particular cause.

Of course, his mind was also on other things. He had, after all, a couple of errands to run... a few more, now that a plan had begun to form in his mind.

Papers an' a quill... an' some ink. He checked them off silently, grinning to himself. An' a shirt fer the Three's brother. An' mebbe a hat. I think a hat might be a nice thing ta 'ave...
Last edited by Ezekiel Lee on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The reactions of the crowd were mixed, to say the least. Some people seemed genuinely excited about the war-hero making a claim on their throne while others had reservations of being 'taken over'. Everyone seemed to be of the opinion that heading toward the Court Commons was a good idea, and so there was a steady migration along the Avenue of Trade of people moving from where they were toward the palace and the Commons that was next to it. A woman in the crowd was telling someone else a little tidbit of information that Zeke could pick up in passing. "This afternoon the Commander had his men giving out rations of bread and other foods in the Poor Quarter! They were taken from the palace stores, from what I hear, and he gave them out!" The woman she spoke to's eyes grew wide with surprise. "I know," she interrupted. "If he means to do that then I'll support him."

"What of this martial law though?" Asked another, and then was drawn into a discussion with his neighbor about the state of the Vanguard. "I heard they was disbanded like, this morning, and that the Navy is patrolling the harbor and making sure no one is coming nor going. What in the nether is that on about? Michel doesn't want us to leave?" These questions went unanswered by his partner by way of a loose shrug. In any event, they kept moving forward, onward, to the Court Common where the games would begin.

With all the commotion one might think that shops could be closed, and many were. Some had made for an impromptu holiday by way of the news and had closed up their storefronts. Some had thought there could be riots like the one earlier in Sinner's Square. Even still there were places open, though they were off the main street of the Avenue of Trade and Zeke would have to meander into the narrow roads of the city in order to find them. They were the desperate, the lonely, the poor and they couldn't afford to take another day off for another usurper of the throne. Their open signs hung swaying on rusty hinges that sent loud whines into the air.

King's Court was a city of buildings that were two to three stories high and jammed together so that while walking (and once away from the numerous people) one could hear their footsteps clapping on ahead and behind them as they echoed off the stonefacings. The roads were narrow, these just wide enough for a carriage though others just wide enough for two people to walk side-by-side. The high afternoon sun left these alleys well lit, but as soon as the sun dipped beyond the roofs he would be suspended in early evening by way of the dark, tight corridors.

"A parel & aksesores," a sign proclaimed in a strong hand that gave to backwards s's (of which there were three) with a fanciful hat painted on the sign. It was the real measure of what was inside the meager store, and looking through the open door one could see all manner of plain clothing. It wasn't the amazing fabrics one would find at Audrey's, but, it would do the trick for anyone of general means. As for the writing impliments, no suitable store had yet presented itself.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

Ye can win the people wiv bread fer a time, I'm sure... but deny 'em work an' trade an' ye'll be feedin' 'em forever... an' no man a' any self respect wishes ta be a kept pet.

Zeke offered the stranger a brief smile and meandered past, keeping his thoughts to himself. Immediately discussion of the martial law came up, as naturally it would, and he listened in discretely as he passed by.

Yeah, there lies the flaw. The crack in this that'll 'ave me a crew an' a ship b'fore two days are out, or I'm no bettin' man... ye can't trap a man in a city an' give 'im nothin' ta do. Or 'is mind, bein' bored, turns ta changin' that in any way that ee can. Human nature, innit. Perfec'ly wonderful, perfec'ly fallible human fuckin' nature.

Presently, occupied by these thoughts, Ezekiel's feet led him to the smaller streets and alleyways, where he might complete his few errands and set about the couple of other tasks he had mentally planned. A sign presented itself boldly, and Zeke paused in order to make an attempt to read it. (This simple act took a couple of tries for, while the pirate was fairly adept with letters, apparently the owner of the shop was not.) Realising (in due course) that this was in fact the kind of shop he was seeking, the pirate ducked inside abruptly. It should not take too long to gather up a suitable shirt of some kind... and a hat with corners on it. Three of them. (Corners. Not hats.) And then there would be other, more fulfilling things to attend to.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Zeke's mental musings were lost on the crowd as they shifted from the Avenue of Trade onward to the Court Commons. It was quite in the opposite direction of where he now headed - into the depths of the city itself, away from it's strongly beating central road and the life's blood of it. The shop gave little in the way of interest aside from the pretty girl doing stitching in the back room wearing nothing but a transparent chemise so that her legs were daringly bare to match her feet. She had large vacuous blue eyes set widely on her round face and lips that smirked in a way at his entrance to suggest she knew her way around a haystack, particularly for rolling in one. Her hair was mousy brown in color, but it flattered her fair skin. Upon standing it was obvious that she was quite pregnant - in the 'about to pop' sort of way, though the swollen belly didn't do much to prevent her from rolling out fabric to cut for a shirt she was in-process of making.

The man behind the counter could've been her husband, brother or father, it was nearly impossible to tell. He, too, had blue eyes and brown hair, though darker than hers. The shopkeeper pointed toward where an array of naturally dyes shirts were folded and heaped atop a counter as well as to a smart display of hats upon rough wooden 'heads'. There was, indeed, a hat with three corners (first the redhead, then the three mis-written P's and now a tri-corner hat, one might think the number were following the pirate) on one of the mannequin heads. It was dark brown in color. "Non-dyed shirts are two banner, shirts with color be three banner a piece," the merchant said with a friendly smile. There was white cotton, linen, tan, brown, natural blue, natural red and a magenta mixture of the two.

Once the items were picked and paid for the merchant asked: "Is there anything else I can help ye with today?" It might be a good place to ask questions, such as where to purchase ink and accessories on an impromptu holiday such as this one.
Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

The hat drew Zeke immediately, and was in his hands moments after he first laid eyes upon it. Curiously, he did not put the thing upon his head (for there would be a more appropriate time for that later, he was sure), and, after acquiring a plain, undyed cotton shirt in about the size he considered appropriate for the Three's brother, the pirate returned the merchant's friendly smile with one of his own.

"Aye, there might well be. I wonder if ye 'ave an errand boy or similar I could trust wiv a short missive fer m'lady...? This shirt is fer 'er brother an' I regret I ain't able ta deliver it meself. An' I could use parchment an' ink, if ye 'ave such a thing about ye." Hopefully, the man would be able to help, for without ink and paper, Ezekiel's plan would be dead in the water before it had so much as left port.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh.. yes, we do," the merchant whistled by placing his index and second finger in his mouth and over his tongue. It came out as a high pitched and sharp sound. Above them, in the upper story of the building, there was the sound of small feet running. A boy came scampering out from the back room. He had big blue eyes and a mop of black hair that was pulled back into a neat ponytail. He wore a smart little outfit that included a vest with a pocket and a bit of embroidery that said Timmy.

From under the cash box the man gathered what had been requested. "Ink and some parchment," he offered. "Parchment is a banner," he said - ever the salesman. "But ye can use the ink fer free. I'm generous like that. Where you need your parcel taken?" The distance would be the deciding factor on the cost of delivery via the running child. Though the merchant respected this stranger's privacy (as much as one could) he couldn't help giving a read to whatever was written while he was in the process of writing it out. Though, Zeke had a hand up in this situation, for this man wasn't particularly proficient in his letters. This had been proven by his sharp sign out front - which he had painted himself.
Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

"Much obliged," Zeke nodded to the merchant, and grinned in greeting to the boy before turning to the parchment to scribble a brief missive, giving little thought to who might read it (for he were not stupid enough to put anything indelicate in such a letter unless he hoped to deliver it himself.)

"I ain't rightly sure where ye'll find the lady at this tide," Ezekiel murmured, his head bent over the paper, "Though I'd lay a bet she'd be dockside at this hour. If ye try the Cock an' Bull, I'd bet ye'll... find 'er... there..." He finished both letter and sentence at about the same time, and then fished in his bag briefly before producing his questionable deck of cards. After a moment riffling through the deck he found the one he wanted, and bent to show the child Timmy. (The morality of this action did not cross his mind: being a pirate, he was quite desensitised to most things immoral.)

"She looks much like this, kiddo. Only... wiv a few more clothes. Ye can 'ave this if it'll help ye find 'er." The kid would likely take the three of hearts, the shirt and the letter abruptly and be off, leaving Zeke to speak to the merchant some more.

"An' how much ta spare a few leaves a' this parchment an' some ink ta take wiv me on me travels, sir? An' if ye can't, ye 'ave my apologies fer askin'; d'ye know of a place I'd get both...?" Zeke asked both questions politely and with a smile, but he did not bother to explain that he needed more privacy for the other things he wished to pen, for he was not particularly in the habit of giving up unnecessary information to strangers. It should be enough that the pirate offered coin for the wares.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The well dressed little kid gave a nod to Zeke when he was looked at, and displayed a smile with too many teeth in it. He hadn't lost some of the important ones before the next set came in, so it gave his whole little grin a rather beastly quality.

The merchant thought. "Cock an' Bull, that's right outside the city, yeah? Throw us three lance and you can have the delivery, parchment ink and pen," he said. It was a banner or two more expensive than it ought've been, but, at the same time, it meant he was getting all his chores done in one stop. One could pay for the convenience if one were so inclined.

Timmy's eyes ate up the small painting in it's every detail (for he thought it would be the first and only time he'd see it) until the stranger suggested he could have it if it would assist him in his errand. "Yes, sir, much appreciate that, I do," he said with a sure nod and a bigger toothier smile. The merchant tried to have a gander at the displayed card, but the boy was so quick with his fingers that it was stuffed in the pocket of his shirt before the man had had the chance. To this was added the letter (which the merchant got just as little out of) and then the shirt, folded and placed in his arms.

Once payment was settled young Timmy ran off, much as Zeke anticipated, though his first stop was down two lanes and into another alley where he could get a better look at Three (for the sake of his delivery). Being a very studious young boy he made sure to pay attention to each and every detail until his youthful curiosity was filled and he was scampering down the streets toward the direction of the Vigilant Gates and from there to the Cock an' Bull where he hoped to find the beautiful redhead.

The merchant slid the things asked for over to Ezekiel. "Deal then?" He asked.
Ezekiel Lee
Pirate

Post by Ezekiel Lee »

While he was loath to lose the precious card, Ezekiel figured his chances of getting the package and letter delivered higher if the messenger were bribed. And what better way to bribe a young man than with porn? The rate at which Timmy made the three of hearts disappear seemed to indicate the ploy had worked, anyway; and message, card, and boy disappeared as instantly as expected.

"Aye, a deal, then." Zeke smiled at the shopkeeper. On a better day he might have haggled - the merchant was hiking his prices as high as he dared - but the pirate had little time for such negotiations and rated his time more valuable than his coin. Taking up the hat and the papers, Zeke bid the merchant farewell with a bob of his head, and quit the shop in search of a more private venue. He had no desire to be identified as the author of the billet he had planned. At least... not right away.

All things come ta those who wait. Zeke recited, briefly channeling his mother (who he had not seen these past fifteen yahren... but still missed acutely, on occasion.) All things come ta those who wait...

OOC: Think we're done here, m'lady?
Last edited by Ezekiel Lee on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: I'd say so. Locked.

Return to “Kings Court”