Abu'Sahir - Royal barracks

Moderator: Mods

Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Abu'Sahir - Royal barracks

Post by Meridiuz »

Located just east of the Foreigner's Square is the royal barracks. Here, the men and women who serve in Amun Rah's city guard and army make their home. The complex is divided into several sections, including three training grounds, three different sleeping halls, three mess halls, an officer's keep, and two staff rooms. City watch, standing army and the slave members of both each have a different part to themselves, except when the slave in question is an officer - those get to sleep and live in the officer's keep.
The barracks, made of imported black rock, are a spartan building, with an armory that bears the traditional weapons of the country. Few armors are found here at all, as the army and watch are unaccustomed at wearing them, and would rather not, in such heat.
Visitors and staff alike enter through the gate and main hall, where staff may freely pass, but a sergeant approaches any who are visiting.
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

A rush of fear came over Alrak as he reached the doorway of the royal barracks, The intense heat of the desert surrounding him did little to pacify his anxiety. "You can do this! you just have to prove your skill." He reminded himself, "This will bring you closer to your goals and..." as he looked at his gut,"Provide some money." Alrak walked forward and saw a soldier. judging by his clothing, he was not a General or anything but he was better than nothing. "Excuse me" Alrak said as the man was waking up, "how can I apply to be a guard."
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Inside the barracks Alrak was surrounded by sandstone columns that reached from floor to ceiling, and an impressive foyer it was. Paintings and tapestries hung on the walls commemorating generals and exceptional battles that those of Abu`Sahir had fought in. Old blades of masters were on display, those that had delivered the battle winning strike against their enemies.

The troops of the great Rafao had just returned from a battle in the desert, of which the comman man knew very little of, though there had been gossip, some of which Alrak even heard as he moved through the main hall. There were words of there having been an army of adhiel at an oasis in the desert, and that the Rafao had conquered them, but only taken back a single dark adhiel with him, who was now staying in the palace. Many men had been lost in the battle, even though Abu`Sahir was victorious, as was the usual outcome. No advances without losses.

The seargant that approached the short of stature human, looked as if he might've been involved in a battle, thanks to a raggad wound on his neck. A nearly fatal injury had it not been for the healers of the army. The Rafao never fought without mages on his side. His head was shaved and he wore a rest toga styled outfit, with brown leather sandals. A sash at his waist of bright yellow set him apart from other men in similar outfits. "If you would like to apply, then you must tell me your name, age and weapon of proficiency if you've got one." The older man replied and looked down at Alrak with dark brown eyes.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

<p>"Phew, the hardest part is over" Alrak thought to himself. "Greetings, my name is Alrak Tulmag. I am twenty years old and I specialize in martial arts but I learn very quickly and can learn many weapons. I have just recently realized that I possess a hint of skill in ammunic sorcery and came here to develop that skill as well as to train myself." Alrak hoped his aquaintance didnt figure out that he was an outsider. From what he had learned, the people of Amun Rah had a xenophobic streak which would make it even more difficult to join.

<p>Just then he realized what he was getting himself into. Bullies in his hometown were one thing, but he was going to be fighting full fledged [i]Monsters![/i] Anxiety swept over him and he wondered if he should really be doing this, but he nerved himself and told himself that his skills will lead him forwards.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: When set in BBCode yoy don't have to use the <p>, you can just use the Tab button. Also, if you disable BBCode then you cannot use the [ i ] function, so that's why it didn't work in your last post. If you have any questions on that please ask and I'll try to help. By the way, Welcome to Amun Rah!

IC:

The seargant looked at Alrak questioningly and had to hold in the laughter that was about to flow forth. However, like a well trained soldier, he was able to contain himself and maintain a professional attitude toward the would-be guardsman. "You are proficient in martial arts?" He glanced down at the very heavily set young man before him. He was very small, height wise, but nothing else about him was similar. "Perhaps you mean to say you can fist fight? Martial arts requires.. finesse, something which you would have some difficulty with, young man." Even as he spoke he marked down Alrak Tulmag into the record which he held in his hand, as well as the age.

"And you are a mage as well?" He had only met very few magick users in his life, and none of them looked like this portly fellow. "Do you have any training in armor?" He questioned.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

" Do not judge by appearences good sir, for what I lack in size, I make up for in power and lightning reaction" Alrak said attempting to keep his cool in front on another sceptic. "As for my magic, i never said I was a fully proficient mage, but have experienced in my travels that I am able to access ammunic sorcery without any prior learning."

"Armorwise, I have not worn much other than a hard cloth armor which can allow me to have much more versitility than plate or leather but can still withstand blows. I shouldnt be hit anyways for I usually hit first." Alrak was worried though, he was never one to be boastful and this kind of behavior was unlike him. "Anyways, it seems like the soldiers don't wear much armor either, judging from the temprature, they would probably fuse into your skin." Humor had always made Alrak less nervous but this one did little to help him.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

He laughed at the joke of the armor. "When not in a war, we try to avoid the armor as much as possible, yes." He actually smiled before reverting to protocol.

The guardsman looked down at Alrak and considered. "Alright, we'll give you a chance, but I guarantee nothing." He said solemly. "First things first, you're going to have to get cleaned up. All new recruits are showered, shaven, and checked for mites and then sent through the showers again to make sure. Then it's off to training to test you out. If you make it through, then you will be put to some use and given actual training in a specific unit. Are you prepared for the hardest work you will ever endure in you life so far?" He questioned. This was no joking matter. If one made it through basic training they might actually see battle, especially with what had been said recently, about Darkness Rising around them. Was it to be another war of the light?
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

Alrak was expecting that question. That was the same question he had been asking himself since he arrived at Amun Rah. The thought of another light war frightened him. He was told stories by his adopted parents about the light wars and the immense carnage brought from them, but he was steadfast on his belief that he will succeed. "Yes sir." Alrak said without any worry whatsoever.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Alright then, if you are confident in your abilities, we might be able to make a warrior out of you yet. Why don't you follow me and we will get you cleaned up. Sound good?" He started walking, it was obviously more a rhetorical question as he didn't expect an answer.

With a brisk pace he approached another yellow sashed official, this man was wearing several pins as well. Tokens of his honour and ability in service. He was a good deal older than the other sergeant, perhaps up to 60 yahren. A small goatee on his face was grayed, and white in certain places. Once upon a time he had dark locks of hair, but no more. He was sort of thankful to shave his skull, as it didn't make the aging so prominent.

"Who do we have here?" He asked, looking down at Alrak. "Are you to be joining us, young man?"

The sergeant nodded. "Yes, can you please get him cleaned and shaven, Sir?" He gave a curt bow and then turned on his heels to be ready for the next arrival.

The older fellow looked down at Alrak. "You look like a resident of Abu`Sahir, but you do not walk like one. Where were you raised?" He was an intuitive old man. That was how he had won many duels, he came prepared.
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

Alrak's fears had been answered..."I am a citizan of Dort brought when I was very young. I came to Amun Rah to further my skills and learn about my true heratage." Alrak stated firmly, but in his heart he was worried. "Not meaning to offend, but may I ask who you are as to not make a fool of myself later" Making a fool of himself was definitely not one of the things he wanted to do. he was already on a tightwire by being an outsider and he didnt want his wire to snap.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Nothing to be ashamed of son, there was just something different about you. I recognized it almost immediately. Perhaps it's the way you walk, the way you stand. In the Rafao's guard you will learn how to be a true citizen of Abu`Sahir, and none will question you or your intent." He smiled genuinely. There was a noble honour about him, he was a strong man, and quiet fatherly-like with his whitened beard.

"I am Telsad, and I'm here to usher in the new recruits of the guard. I check to make sure they will be prepared for the journey they are to embark upon. It is a new experience for all. I believe you have a good heart, and will bring greatness to your family when you find them."

Turning away he waited for Alrak to follow him into a small back room inwhich there was a bath and a woman sitting reading a book. She looked up casually as the two entered, but did not stand. "This is one of our healers, Shinaylia. She will help you with the physical changes, was you and then clean you up with a good shave." He smiled and turned to the girl.

She was pretty, and young, maybe 20 yahren, with a full bussom and hourglass figure that she displayed in a tight wrap-around styled dress that left her tanned shoulders exposed. The young woman was a bit taller than Alrak, but she was still short for her race at about 5 feet tall. Smiling she set down her book and stood. "Hello."
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

Alrak let out a mental sigh of relief. To not be questioned, taunted, or ridiculed was one of his lifelong goals. To be able to blend into a crowd one of his dreams. Although the kind officer couldnt change him physically, he would finally find a place to belong.

When Alrak entered the back room, he tensed. He wasn't the best with women, partially due to the fact that all of the girls in his hometown pretty much ignored him. She was a very attractive woman and Alrak forced himself to stay focused on the task at hand. At her response, he slightly nodded and try to blanket his subconcious from constantly rising thoughts.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Shinaylia looked at the newest recruit and attempted for warmth in her expression as she brushed a piece of lint off of her dress. "Disrobe, please." She wasn't about to sugar coat it, she had done the same with every other guard since she took this position.

Not waiting for him to begin to strip she turned to the side and filled the small bath with water. Grabbing a sponge she dropped it into the slowing filling tub and then turned back to him, her attention fixated on him waiting to see if he was going to protest to his bath. Some were eager to get to business infront of a beautiful woman like her, for others it made it excrusiatingly uncomfortable. She had seen the full spectrum, but she wasn't yet sure how Alrak would respond.
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

Suddenly petrified by her command to disrobe, Alrak thought his situation through in his head. After five seconds, he said to himself "at least it's not a guy,"and then disrobed. Although quite uncomfortable to a normal sized person, the bath was perfect for Alrak. The water felt cool in comparison to the dry heat of the city and was very relaxing. "I'm curious" he asked to the healer, "since you are a healer, do you practice the ammunic method of healing or is it non-magical?" A fellow ammunic sorcerer would be good to meet and would aid his quest quite well.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The girl smiled and turned to the side to allow Alrak some privacy while he peeled off his clothing and crawled into the bath. It wasn't too tight of a fit for the small man, but his girth made up for his height in this instance. What it lacked in size it more than made of for in chill. The water was nearly freezing. It was a strange sensation after having been exposed to the super heat of the desert air for so long, to be placed in a cold bath was an extreme change, but it was refreshing. It, however, did little to impress her with his manhood, as he had nearly nowhere to hide in the crystaline water.

As she approached the bath the healer picked up a basket and a bucket. Reaching over she filled the bucket with fresh clear water and then looked at him. "Hold your breath." She picked it up and dunked it over his head washing him in the chest-compressing cool. "I use both methods." Shinaylia said. "It depends on the case for what someone needs. There are some maladies that herbal healing can do nothing for, and to constantly use magick I would use up all my energy." She replied and pulled some soap from the basket.

Standing behind Alrak she began to massage his scalp producing frothy bubbles. A pile of foam landed on his shoulder and then drifted down his arm onto the surface of the water to meet the floating sponge. As she rubbed his head with her dexterose fingers she nudged the bar of soap with her small elbow and moved it forward a bit. "Why don't you lather up that sponge while I do this, and clean your body." The girl grabbed a comb and began pawing through his tangle of hair. Men were not as good at keeping their locks in order.
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

Alrak took the soap and started to apply it to the sponge. What a great opportunity to meet a magick user. "I happen to possess a hint of that kind of skill myself. where do you think I should go to hone that skill." This kind of magick will be extremely useful on the battlefield. As an afterthought he looked down. Af all things sacred, curse the cold. "o ganrith," he muttered to himself, while one of his gibberish streaks were setting in.

suddenly a sharp pain came from his head as Shinaylia yanked at a rather large knot of dark hair. He barely ever combed that curly mass so many he wouldnt doubt something was living inside it. Fortunately nothing was.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I was taught many things by my mother, but I finished my learning at the Temple, becoming an acolyte and serving Anasis to continue to refine my skills until now. Most everyone starts such studies at a young age..." She trailed off. Alrak might not have been old by any standards other than this, but in Amun Rah most magickal teachings began before the child turned ten and then continued through their adolescence.

"But there are always exceptions to every rule." Shinaylia said. It was true. Some had been accepted later in life a long as they showed an aptituded.

"Oh! Sorry!" The young woman said about the tangle as she pulled the comb through it. When she went back she tried it more gently and got through the knot. Alrak's eyes watered just slightly from the sudden pain. "You boys.. I swear, let your hair grow but never tend to it..." She shook her head, but she was amused by it. Reaching into her basket she pulled out a sharpened blade used for shaving. "Try not to move too much, ok? I don't want to have to use my skills." Her voice hinted to the fact that she was smiling as she rubbed more soap into his hair and began by sheathing off a pony-tail of hair from the top of his skull. A whole chunk of the dark locks fell to the edge of the tub. She continued until she had hacked off much of the length and was ready for the close work.

Humming as she moved, her hands were soft and her fingers dexterous. The song she voiced was a lullaby that Alrak had heard in his youth. It was soothing and quelled whatever nerves might be at work. "So, why did you want to join the guards?" She asked him between verses.
Ryu T Ashitaka

Post by Ryu T Ashitaka »

"There is hope for me then..." Alrak murmered to himself and then was suddenly brought back to reality by Shinaylia's question. "Oh yes... The reason I want to be guard... I actually came to Amun Rah to see if I could find my parents. You see, I was given to a family in Dort by an Amun Rah woman named Shinantop. The reason I wanted to join the guard was because I needed a job to get food." Alrak trailed off and thought, "Idiot! now she'll think you as just a beggar trying to get an easy meal! Come On! SAY SOMETHING!" Alrak awoke from his self-arguement and quickly said, "and of course to train my skills and be at home with my true native land." Alrak sighed. Sometimes he wished he was born without a mouth and then avoid those kinds of things.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"There is always hope." The healer said as she continued to run the blade over Alrak's scalp. It didn't hurt, but it was a strange sensation having never shaved his head before. "You're looking more and more the part of your Amunic heritage every flicker." She said appreciatively as she rounded the top of his skull and worked toward the back of his head.

"Do not worry about appearances, there are many of past slaves who've come to the barraks looking for just food." Was she psychic? Did she know that had been what he was thinking. Perhaps it was a coincidence.

"This is one of the best places to get to know your countryman. All walks of life join the guard. Some are second and third sons of nobility looking for something to fill their days, others are slaves as I've said, and then there are those like you; Just trying to find their way." She smiled and continued. "Hand me the sponge." When he did she dipped it into the water at his side, her soft hand briefly touching his bare arm before she lifted it and wiped off his newly bald-skinned head.

"Well then. That should do much to change the way you look." She handed him a small hand held brass mirror so he could see his face. "I think you look quite handsome. It suits you." It was true, he had changed much with the removal of the mop of hair. It gave him a edgier, fresher look. "What do you think?"

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”