What had he to complain of; her great love? ~ Elaine, Sam19

Moderator: Mods

Finodborn
Special Branch

What had he to complain of; her great love? ~ Elaine, Sam19

Post by Finodborn »

Samheen 19th, Tradetide

The sun was unusually generous for Samheen. The air was perhaps a bit moist to Elaine's sensitive cheeks, but there was no rain.

The sounds of the Song were loud, but nowhere near clear, or meaningful. Every leaf, every piece of bark, and even every single one of the birds in the branches of the Palace Gardens resonated the music of the Mother. But to most, this was such an abundance of voices, that it wasn't discernable from outright cacophony. Even for Elaine's trained Ear, this was too complex to grasp.

I'm sorry I've been so absent sounded a familiar voice. It seems very inappropriate, at times, to be openly present. And many have tried to infest your mind, I may add. How have you advanced with the shielding?
Noah sounded tired and worried.

You should speak to Zersa about the Song, some day, preferably when you have a lot of time on your hands. She knows ways to get to know more, I believe.

Sing us some more, would you?
Last edited by Finodborn on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine had been looking forward to her visit to the gardens, but the circumstances were less than perfect. Her mind was wrapped about the strange summoning that had gone out to Ulder when she entered the beautiful gardens and for a few burns all the sensations went past her as if she'd never heard a song in her life.

Finally the here and now started to dawn on her and with a mental admonishment the girl snapped back to the present.

There is a good reason why you are here. Use your time wisely. She told herself sternly, focussing on the sensations around her as slowly the Song started to fill life around her.

Carefully the blind woman tried to disentangle the various strands, wanting to make sense of the incredible combinations that assaulted her senses without having to let her shields down completely. Noah's voice took her by surprise, her head snapping up as if caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

"Noah!" It was out of her mouth before she realized it. It's been some time, dear friend, although time seems to have a peculiar way of stalling or flying when it makes the least sense. She continued in thought, finding a place to sit down and simply feel the earth under her hands.

You are very kind that you....hold on....His words registered. Many tried? What...who...Good Mother! I suspect one or two people, but how many did try?

She shook her head, trying to get a grip on his questions that echoed through the Song. I have practiced keeping my shielding up at all times, checking it from time to time to reinforce it. It did not work all the time. The girl blushed, feeling strangely guilty over it not being perfect yet.

You are tired? Is this still from two nights ago when you helped me with Navonod or is there something else? Her inner voice echoed Noah's own worries. I am working as much as I can. The need is great...I feel other people's emotions growing.

Zersa...I think Vanir mentioned her name. I will find her and ask her. But pray tell...who is 'us' ? I thought you were alone...

Suspicion rose as quickly as she had trusted the disembodied voice. Why would her spirit teacher suddenly speak of himself as more than one? Who else was there that she did not know of? Immediately she checked her web of branches for breaches or malformations, silently feeling for her powersource below to strengthen what was there.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Even if Elaine had stood there totally defenceless, the flood of tonalities would have been too difficult to grasp; not one, but an abundance of tunes was sung here, flowing together in a vast but almost impossible unity.

How many? Hard to tell. Many well-clad thugs roam this palace, dear. I think I don't even have to warn you about Andolin. But there are many too whom you don't know, and I don't know either.

You're still learning. Patience is not only a virtue when dealing with sorrow, dear.

And tired I am, mostly from hiding for skilled mind-searchers. I figured it wouldn't be beneficial for your health if they knew of my presence. I think you should exploit your innocent good-girl-act more; it is a different kind of shield, but I think we may well need it in the near future. There are so many dark minds here, Elaine! And they seem to multiply by the Tide.

He chuckled at her next question, his laughter rich and generous. I could have been referring to the faeries in this garden. But rest assured, we are the only ones inside you. We, meaning You and Me.

Then she felt how Noah made use of her increased attention to her shield to give it an evaluating nudge. Looks fine to me.

Could you tell me about Ulder now?
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

For a moment the girl wished she could simply let the flows of the music take her. There was a grandness to the union of one incredible melody after another; a grandness Elaine would love to explore in full. Yet this was hardly the moment while she could not be sure of her own safety out here in the open.

Maybe tonight. She promised herself. When I'm safely in my bed. Who knows?

Once Noah explained his choice of words the blind woman chuckled. There obviously was such a thing as being overly careful. His little check on her shield brought a pleased blush to her cheeks. It meant a lot to her that her teacher was satisfied about her progress in that important area.

His other remarks played through that satisfaction with less enjoyable undertones.

Andolin...why am I not surprised? Oh well, I don't think he picked up on anything I did not voice out loud...what did I think about? Mentally going over her talks with the man Elaine gave up after a few flickers. Who was to say that was the only moment he tried to invade her privacy?

I am sorry to hear you have to hide that often, dear Noah. She continued. Although I do not know about exploiting anything...if it were an act, it would not work. Not with all these mindworkers around. I like to believe I stand behind the picture I present. This will help us find and heal the hidden wounds.

So many dark minds...yes. The girl sighed. I have to agree. Something seeps in during day as well as night now, worrying people and turning them towards the darkness in search of comfort they cannot get.

A thought struck her: You speak of the faeries...Her inner voice grew lighter, wondering about those elusive creatures of song and stories. Would they not be easy prey to those forces? How do they keep themselves from harm? Are they not sensitive to the changing tides?

The mention of Ulder made an entirely different kind of blush rush to her cheeks. There was no way Elaine could evade giggling this time.

Oh dear...Uhm...Ulder...well, he is...oh silly me, you know who he is, don't you? A Purple Guardsman, captain these days. There was a note of pride in her voice, even though she realized it was entirely his feat, not her's at all. It made her face grow even warmer.

He is a good man, a trustworthy man; one that stands for his beliefs and one I believe will never betray the good he pursues. Dear Mother, I do believe I am in love. Rather silly in such a short time, isn't it? But I'm sure you did not ask to know that.

You asked about song earlier. I will gladly sing for you if it will help you rest.
Elaine added gently.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

I know you are true to what you believe, Elaine. And I ask you not to give that up. But presenting yourself more innocent and less 'involved' than you are, may be a good way of deflecting attention. If somebody doesn't even notice you, there's no reason to fear them, even if they are potent magicians.

I don't know all that much about faeries, dearest. Zersa does. But I suppose their firm connection with Grumpy Mum can go two ways. Either they are the first to suffer, or they are the best protected and most resilient. Perhaps it would be a good idea to investigate this more closely, somewhere in the future.

I actually was more interested to hear about your feelings for him. Has he... loved all mourn out of you?

A song would indeed be lovely, Royal Poet. It's been a while since I last heard you sing.
Last edited by Finodborn on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Presenting myself less involved...that is going to be rather hard now that I will visit the Caesar tonight. I do not wish to cancel on that. It feels incredibly important to see him, even now that he is sick. Perhaps even because he is sick. Elaine mused. But for the rest I could blend in. I'm used to that. I will simply go my way and listen.

The choice of name for Mother had the girl in chuckles. She could not deny that it obviously was fitting from time to time, like with any mother.

I do wish to meet with them. The blind girl thought wistfully. It is something out of an old tale and yet here I am, talking with a spirit and with the great possibility of actually meeting the faeries. Noah, I am very grateful for your presence, not just because of your shielding lessons.

You wish to know about my feelings? Elaine was torn between pleasant surprise and a strange shyness. There is so much that can coexist, Noah. He does know the same loss, which strangely helps a lot. Ulder is such a patient man. His heart is great and in a way...

She sighed.

In a way he is helping me place it all, if that makes sense. I miss Zaure so much, but the longing to follow is less now, as if someone has anchored me. The pain is there, but less sharp. It is strange to enjoy Ulder's company so much. It almost makes me feel guilty that I should feel so much for him when Zaure only died such a short time ago.

Talking about Zaure brought the memories back of their days together. They had been so intense, so filled with everything they wanted to share. It was impossible not to feel the loss. But it was as she had explained: no longer raw it was bearable, at least at this moment.

A song you wish. Let me think.

Carefully touching the music all around her Elaine let the melodies flow through until one touched her enough to be voiced. She enjoyed it for a moment while the girl searched for the words to go with it. A few ideas stuck and slowly the song started to grow as she set in the first tones:

“Waiting for the night to end
Llittle dragon lands to sit
And wonder about the stars at night
By whom were they all lit?

Waiting for the night to end
Little dragon wonders more
About the moon so far above
Who’s she shining for?

Day is dawning, sun is warming
All the land below
Little dragon wonders still
Where the moon did go.”

The playful melody held hopes and dreams about all those things Elaine could not possibly touch. There was wonder in her song about all those things people took for granted. Somehow the surroundings had taken her impossible desire to touch Zaure a last time and turned it into something she could handle, something she could voice. A soft minor chord was balanced out by the silly words, creating a lullabye for all those feelings that had not found their place yet.

Once the last tone faded Elaine placed both hands on the ground below in a gesture of thanks. Her eyes were still dry, her heart a little lighter.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Sorry for the wait, Elaintje!

Oh, but you shouldn't actually get less involved, to the contrary. But, for example, when you have a meeting with an emperor, it would be a good thing to make it seem like you are going to sing him some amusing poetry, rather than discussing the disruptance of the Song.

Noah was very prominently present now, and could easily follow Elaine's choice of words, melody and phrasing. He added a simultaneous second voice, only to sound inside, for her. It was a private gift that complemented her song. And it would have been a perfect one, if only she could have shared it with somebody else. For it so wonderfully filled in the gaps of her -although substantial- flawed skill. This once, she could feel how it is to express yourself exactly as you intend it, be it that there was nobody to hear it. There was a time Noah could sing like that on his own.

As soon as she touched the earth to contact the flow of the Mother, she felt Noah quickly detach from her for a while. It was clear that the two of them weren't on speaking terms yet.

So do you know what you are going to tell him already, then? Noah asked after a while.
Last edited by Finodborn on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

I see...Elaine mused. It is good I am not in the general habit of telling the whole world what I am about to do...lest it be the people I trust implicitly. I do not think I am a great person to hide my true intentions, but perhaps my general wish to be invisible will help. There is a good chance my wish to speak will be wrapped in a song anyway.

The completion of her voice upon Noah's joining struck the girl's heart. Rejoicing and pained at the same time she revelled in the feeling of this unique duet which lent unexplored depth to her private performance. It was all so right and it was incredible.

Almost out of breath the blind singer blinked her eyes. "That was...amazing." She sighed heavily. "Good Mother above and beyond, this would be enough for anyone without goals or purpose to get addicted to. To loose yourself in a song like this without truly loosing yourself, to be able to do that at will, must be grand. How people will have loved to hear even a flicker of your songs."

The sound of her own voice made Elaine wince. Out of habit she had spoken out loud, but anyone near would think her mad for talking to herself. Quickly she reverted back to her thoughts alone.

Going to tell who what? She queried. I am not sure what you mean...you mean the Caesar? Her stomach tumbled. I don't know. I will meet him this evening and I don't know. He is ill, I heard, and I have no idea of knowing what he is able to digest. Maybe I will even simply sing to him to strengthen him for the tasks that lie ahead. It all depends on the moment, on the mood and on him.

Yet if you mean another, please elaborate. I do not always follow your swift thoughts.

Subconsciously the girl smoothed her hair. The thought of Ulder made her very aware of herself in a strange way. She wondered how he was faring right now with the dreaded Major Domo. A quick check over her shields had to reassure her that the latter person would not accidentily pick up on her thoughts about him.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Archived for OOC reasons.
Thread not skilled.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”