Taquar General

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Taquar General

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Current Status

Although I'm still trying to get my head around a few things, Taquar, from what I know, is sealed off from the outside world. Its woodland borders, for the most part, have grown thick and wild, kept in check by several shapers whom also have ties with the Temple of the Mother and will be seen manipulating and reshaping the trees, vines etc to suit their needs.

The Avatar of the Mother will be playing a rather active role in the political aspects that will arise with Tigrin's arrival in Taquar, whom has come to ask the Queen why the borders are closed off and for Taquar's aid. Hope I have that right enough. As this request has come from Demention (sp?), Priest of the One God, the Mother will of course intervene,as she knows of what transpired in the Oasis, and of Dominicus' 'plan' to remove the other gods from power. This will prove interesting for Tigrin.

As for the other players within Taquar, already present, I have something in mind for each of them.

L'esuinn and Niniel ~ Both are aspiring Apprentice Shapers, I may have them attend to the borders with Master Shapers, were they will learn the basic druidic powers they need.

Goldentree ~ Is joining the border patrol and I plan to hook him up with L'esuinn and Niniel. The borders are under occassional attacks from small bands of Orcs, obviously near their own territory, as such, I may have them all involved a skirmish with them.

I am working on something that will prove somewhat more important that skirmish's, but still need the time to work on it, hopefully it will tie in with the War of the One successfully.
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Shapers Plot ~ Tie in with Border Patrol

The new Apprentice Shapers, L'esuinn and Niniel (once she has been accepted), will be asked to journey to the Borders with the new recruits for the Border Patrol, where, along with learning the basics of tending to the trees etc, they will come across some rather unusal activity. Mainly in the form of a 'rouge' shaper, whom has discovered a way to twist and corrupt the druidic power of a Shaper. Manipulating the trees and other vegetation, bringing them under his command. It will be their job, along with a Master Shaper, and some members of the Border Patrol (goldentree), to seek out the cause, in the form of the 'Twisted-Shaper' and end his reign of corruption. (also to help cure the tortured area of woodland.)

All in all, they will have their work cut out for them. NPC's will be written up and more details on this plot will be given shortly.

Post by Guest »

More questions :) and ideas

I think I read that the Queen is being affected by the Darkness Rising with Land rotting and dying. How else will the Darkness Rising affect Taquar? The War of the One might draw the elves into the conflict but what is going to happen to Taquar itself? Any thoughts?

I was running this over in my head and it seems that the followers of the Mother would be able to sense the sickness in the Land. They would want to investigate and find information before sounding the alarm but I think they'd be very concerned. This line of thinking started as a plot for Cemina - she might get a chance to go investigate the source of this sickness. But, of course, that begs the question, what might the source be? So, that's where I'm coming from. If I were a priestess of the Mother and the Land, especially in Taquar was suffering, where would I go to help?

I have some ideas that I'm working on but I'm trying to get a better feel for what plans might already be in place for how the Darkness will truly affect Taquar and what the players might do to fight it?

Sorry if I rambled, I appreciate the help

Gaius

Post by Guest »

If this is any help, the Mother has been somewhat active in King's Court. Religious zealots are doing their best to destroy pagans and so an underground railroad of sorts is being built to funnel pagans (among others) out of the city during the siege.

Maybe some of these refugees can make it to Taq for support.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Updated the timeline.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

I'll post both our timelines in the supporter forum Gaius, just so they can see what is happening etc and don't feel too left out, hehe.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Raevyn brought something up that I had not even thought of.

Wages.

The EG are paid during their training, and current EG trainees have not been paid for some time now. So perhaps, Mardye, if you are still doing the EG write up, this could be incorporated into it? I;m not sure how much though, somthing that will have to be brainstormed on.

Post by Guest »

Pay her in fake money.

Is Mardya doing an EG write up? I have some ideas that I've never gotten down on paper. I'd really like to help if you take the lead. :D

Post by Guest »

Yes, working on it and having most of it gathered in word files, just cleaning up at the moment. I am looking at a busy weekend but I hope to post it here on monday latest :)
And I'd love the help, Gaius!

Post by Guest »

Feel free to send the word files to my e-mail address if you'd like. I'm familiar with the program to say the least.

I think my e-mail is in my profile but if not it's wilsoncj14@comcast.net

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Gaius!

I sent you the word file on the main doc where i've combined the already existing texts for the Emerald Guard, I added the additional questions that need to be answered in the mail :)

After a relatively busy week, I am looking at a weekend filled with friends coming over to visit, but I am still expecting (hoping) to get the rest done tomorrow as well

Post by Guest »

From Mardya -
Heya Gaius!

I have taken the description in the World Guide and the one in the Taquar Development forum as a base and combined the two into one text. I removed some information that was more focused on the Elven habits in particular and removed some spelling errors.

What I was currently working on was to see what NPC's have been made and if we can define who teaches which classes so we can keep some uniformity there. Also, there are the additional questions that need answering: do the Emerald Guard get paid? And how much? Their room and board is free while they are in service, so you'd think they'd get paid a token fee of spending money or something? Also, what is provided for their old age? Has it ever happened that a Guardsman deserted? If so, what happens?

Would you like to take that part?

I have been browsing through so many threads already, I think I'd better keep going on that part of the write-up, LOL. With a bit of luck I can finish that part tomorrow (Sunday), hoping to have the main stuff done by Monday :-)

Let me know what you think?

Astrid (mardya/marek's player)

Very cool. Great start, Mardya!

General Comments/Thoughts -

I have always pictured the Emerald Guard as very similar to the Samurai warrior. They serve their master but have a sense of beauty and grace to accompany their warlike ways. I think it makes sense given the adhiel view of the world.

I think we should do away with the 20 year requirement. It is unrealistic in game sense. They may have to complete a test or quest but not wait 20 years. I think Raevyn and Dray should be well above trainees by now.

On Raevyn - First off, I like Raevyn the player, quite a bit actually, so please note that my comments are definitely not about her OOC.

In Character, however, Raevyn seems very wrong for the EG. I tried to let the commander give her a bit of tongue lashing, but I'm not the sure she got it. An EG should be about service, not money and should be trying to learn to view the world through the eyes of adhiel servant not an assassin. I understand that the EG employs assassins, but they would do a better job of picking their recruits. I seriously doubt the EG commander trusts Raevyn as a member of his corps. I wouldn't.

Answers to your questions -

1. Do they get paid?

a. They should probably get a monthly stipend, but they are adhiel. Adhiel don’t value wealth like other races so this should be minimal. An Emerald Guardsman serves the royal family and the nation of Taquar. His service should be his ultimate reward. I assume this is for Rae's character. It might be interesting to have their wages given to them in character so they can see what they really make.

2. What is provided for their old age?

a. A position in the Emerald Guard should be lifelong for the most part. I see the Emerald Guardsmen as having the choice of where to ply their skills within reason throughout their career. The younger adhiel would be warriors or in the field per se whereas as older, more established guardsman might spend more time in Court or on diplomatic missions. However, if they can contribute in some way, a Guardsman would.

b. Once they reach a stage where they no longer feel they can contribute to active missions, most likely they would teach. Others would have the opportunity retire into a civilian lifestyle and enjoy their old age. I think most would still stay active somehow.

c. A Guardsman would never want for anything, whether it be a home, food or clothing; neither would their family. They would be supported by the Queen. However, these are adhiel who have given their life to service; their wants would be modest and they would be happy to receive them.

3. Has it ever happened that a Guardsman deserted?

a. Yes, I would definitely think so. An adhiel is mortal and can be tempted by the values and wonders of other cultures. I think also that the level of servitude required by the Guardsman would often make their duties to the Queen higher than personal commitments such as family.

b. I would also think a Guardsman can be exiled. For any number of reasons, a Guardsman could break from accepted behavior. Exile would be the appropriate punishment for the most heinous behavior (murder or betrayal.)

c. I actually see betrayal as something not uncommon in the Guard. The demands to serve being so high that if a Guardsman had to choose between saving the Queen or saving his child, saving the child would be considered betrayal. I have not fleshed out my NPC Kormus yet but he is exactly this. He is an ex-Guardsman who was exiled (or deserted more likely) because he could not reconcile the commitment to his family versus the royal family. Subsequently, his family was killed because of the choice he made and his whole outlook changed. He is now an anti-hero of sorts.

d. If they a Guardsman does desert, I think they would be considered the same as an exiled adhiel. I would think the adhiel would try to treat an exile member as having never existed. They would try to remove all but the most obvious traces of the member from ever having been part of the society.

4. NPCs –
a. I made up the commander of the guard in a recent thread with Raevyn. I specifically did not give him a name because I figured somewhere we had to have one. Take him wherever you want. The commander does see the adhiel commitment to Tazlure outside of Taquar. He believes they are a force for good. He should be considered wise and a bit saddened by the turmoil in the world. Below is the link.

http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=7706

b. You got Ranth. I describe him as the Yin to Raevyn’s Yang. He is noble, stalwart and Emerald Guardsman and Adhiel to the core. He is not selfish nor is he contemptuous.

c. Kormus – A deserter guard (much better than exile – thanks!) of one of the highest ranks. He is a master swordsman but his true abilities were in information gathering and subterfuge. We’ll go with him making the choice to serve the Royal family which cost him his family. In the process he also gained the scar over the right side of his face. I have not spent enough time on his background. He despises the Guard and the adhiel philosophy though it is ingrained in his spirit. He constantly fights against his instincts and upbringing when he views the world. He blames everyone for the loss of his family, but most of all himself. He could not have saved them but he cannot rationalize that in his twisted mind.

Let me know where else I can contribute

Gaius

Post by Guest »

I think we should do away with the 20 year requirement. It is unrealistic in game sense. They may have to complete a test or quest but not wait 20 years. I think Raevyn and Dray should be well above trainees by now.

I like that test/quest idea very much and it'd be much easier to incorporate in game than 20 years of service (which is about impossible for a PC). Perhaps a test that consists of three parts: knowledge, courage/skill and morals?

In Character, however, Raevyn seems very wrong for the EG. I tried to let the commander give her a bit of tongue lashing, but I'm not the sure she got it. An EG should be about service, not money and should be trying to learn to view the world through the eyes of adhiel servant not an assassin. I understand that the EG employs assassins, but they would do a better job of picking their recruits. I seriously doubt the EG commander trusts Raevyn as a member of his corps. I wouldn't.

Agreed there, but now she is in I am not sure what can be done especially since the character has been accepted as a member of the EG for awhile now with that same "kill my superiors"-attitude. Perhaps it can be taken as a future plotline for her commanders to keep giving that feindish Dark Adhiel tests to confirm her loyalty?

Your answers to the 'do they get paid" and "what about their old age" make a world of sense.. No questions at all :D

Thank you, Gaius!

I am sure I'll come up with more before long to ask ya, hehe. It seems that the longer I am reading up on this, the more questions I have. One that surfaces now I am typing is: would it be open to debate to open up the Emerald Guard to achadhiel?
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Hey guys! New Taquar Supporter here, reporting for duty. Just point me in the right direction and I'll do-it-to-it :P
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Return to “T'aquar Archive”