Dort: The Golden Gates

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Swa Numfin

Hey!

Post by Swa Numfin »

" Hey! Why don't you wait in line?! But than again if you go first others would be mad also. That would mean they'd be angry at you, and I don't want to be around if they capture you too and give you away to perform tricks like they did to my parents!"

By this time Swa had worked himself up a storm, fidgeting, and hopping around without stopping.

" It isn't fair for all these people including the other people who went in!" The excited gnome paused for a flicker, wondering if his words made sense at all.

When in doubt. Just do it anyways.

" Than they would be very angry! Than, Than! Angry people would tie you up with the pigs, like they did to me! That didn't stop me though! I wiggled out of my dwarven bonds." The gnome began to weave a fantastic story, without a hint of stopping. " As I said, I wiggled out and my trusty steed, Wompo, had galloped towards me with my giant war hammer in it's teeth. It dropped it at my feet, and I fought the raiders one by one, I even fought the pigs, which were very angry because I was tied up with them!"

"Than...!"
Last edited by Swa Numfin on Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus O'Shea

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

OOC: Welcome to Taz, Swa and Dagny! Posting at an enterance thread is standard procedure here, you can assume your arrival by ship happened right before this :)

The golden-haired young man who was charged with guarding the gates today had been decidedly disinterested in his duty. Or at least he was, until Dagny pushed her way through the line, agitating the excitable gnome at the front. Sighing, he stepped forward and raised a hand.

"Stop right there, miss. I 'prreciate your hurry, but everyone's gotta wait there turn." he said to Dagny in a tone somewhere between boredom and annoyance.

Turning to Swa, he crouched and put his hands on his knees, balancing on the balls of his feet. "Now then, Swa Numfin, was it? I'm Blaine."

He regarded the gnome with a kind smile, and continued. "Don't be worryin' about your mum and dad, I'm sure they haven't been captured by any circus."

Standing, he produced a slightly crumpled scrap of parchment, scrawling Swa's name on it. "'Kay, then. Why have you found yourself at the gates of our fine city today, Swa?"

Noting the answer on the parchment, he turned back to Dagny. "A'right, miss Dagny, now it's your turn." he said, the corner of mouth lifting in a smirk. "Why are ya interested in comin' to Dort today?"
Last edited by Marcus O'Shea on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dagny Linden

Post by Dagny Linden »

OOC: Umm . . .I said I approached the other guard. No big deal. See below.

She rolled her eyes and smoothly stepped around the gnome to approach the other guard.

Your post says there is only one but I'm pretty sure there are two. This is from the first post in the thread.

Two guards in blue uniforms with obsessively large yellow tassles salute each visitor and with a pleasant smile ask them after their business, offering helpful information where they can.

I am going to assume I am talking to the second guard, not the first.

IC: Dagny pursed her lips in disgust at the guard’s condescension. Where did he get off with that attitude? She had half a mind to thump him one. And the gnome, he was a precocious one wasn’t he? His guard had even bent down to talk to him. How humiliating.

Jokingly she said, “I am hunting rogue gnomes and Halflings.” A wink emphasized her humor, however, it seemed lost on the guard. He listened mercilessly for another answer.

With a mirthless chortle she continued. “Not really. I come seeking work. I can fight and I’ve heard you’re in some kind of rebellion. I’d like to help out if I can. Either side is fine with me.”

OOC: Also - could you tell me what everyone's position is in case anything goes down? Just trying to be prepared. ;)
Last edited by Dagny Linden on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swa Numfin

Post by Swa Numfin »

The young gnome stopped in midsentence, where he was about to get to the part of jumping rooftops.

" Really? You think so? Hmm..."
The storyteller, rubbed his auburn goatee, as if in thought, though it would be hard to think a gnome could focus on a single idea.

The gnome shot the woman a glaring stare. After a flicker, Swa looked back up to the guard," It's okay if I go in now, right? Also, would you happen to know where to go for some sleep? Traveling has been kind of exhausting."

Post by Guest »

Timestamp: Samheen 19th

Excitement welled in the heart of the Achadhiel, an exhilaration which could only be measured in the rapid beating of her heart. Her first time away from the island, from her home, and the thrill of it all was almost beyond her modest abilities to bear. She had never been away from Pan’s Isle before, had never left that blessed haven once prior to now. Her mind was annoyingly scattered this day, unable to bring her thoughts together in even the vaguest sense of cohesion. What would this city be like? What wonders would it hold in store for her, the half-elf with a currently overwhelming sense of curiosity? She was pretty sure that whatever it was would more than match up to the fleeting fantasies of her imagination, no matter how bizarre. Then, she knew quite little of the world, had never really taken such an intense interest in geography prior to her journey of discovery.

Looking up, the gentle browns of the young woman’s eyes found the dark stone walls of the city proper, observing them with a fairly whimsical expression on her face, before glancing downwards to survey the dry moat encircling it. She was not sure as to these people’s customs, in truth, but why in the world would they see the need for such an obviously ridiculous thing? Perhaps it was because the city felt it was safe, that there was no fear or invasion. Such a thing she supposed was good, although she still could not help but wonder at the necessity of it all. The gates held her interest for a moment longer, eloquent in design as they were. Truly beautiful things, she could only wonder as to what their history was, and who had made it.

Those thoughts aside, however, and Eira’s footfalls were soon bringing her closer to the proximity of the gates herself. There, she saw the sign hanging blatantly above them, although this she dismissed immediately. She was not literate in the language of her father, after all, and only held a basic level of skill in the human tongue. Such a thing would make her time here much more frustrating at worse, but it was something she would simply have to live with, as a consequence of being raised as Adhiel.

Smiling coyly at the two guards, the woman took a short moment to stare blankly at each of them in turn as they asked their questions of her. At this particular instance in time, her loose grasp of their tongue was frustrating her much more than it was worth.

“Beez-eee-ness?”

She did not think she knew the word, was not aware of the meaning behind it in the slightest. She could only hope it was nothing important. Still, they were only guards, weren’t they? They only had to make sure that she was a good little girl and wouldn’t do anything uncalled for whilst within the confines of their precious Dort, right? Shaking her head slightly from side to side to indicate that she did not understand, the woman would then move on to tackling a question of her own, her mind working hard to translate it from her native elvin tongue.

“I want to…go in city. Where I go…for…to sleep?”

Her first port of call would be an inn, after all, and she would need to find one prior to any further exploration of the city, granted that she would be allowed through in the first place.

OOC: This is my first post, so I hope it is alright. Anything wrong, please let me know. :)
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus O'Shea

Swa and Dagny

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

Timestamp:Samheen 19th, Early Tradetide

The tall blonde man nodded in response to Swa, shifting to the side and gesturing through the gates to the city. "Yeah, you're free to go ahead. If you're lookin' for a roof over your head, try the Drunken Duck, shouldn't be a problem for 'em to find room for a fella like yourself."

Chuckling softly as the gnome went on his way, he turned back to Dagny. At the mention of rebellion, his mirth gave way to a stonier demeanor.

"Can't say I know much about such a thing, miss. Course, with the way those clansmen are, ya never can tell..." he looked around furtively, as though realising he was saying something he shouldn't.

Eyeing the woman carefully, he cleared his throat and continued. "At any rate, miss, you'll wanna be careful 'bout advertising that kinda skill ... can't say I care much, but some of the other guards forget how little we get paid for this."

OOC: Swa, you can post here to enter the Inn whenever you like.
Marcus O'Shea

Eira

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

Timestamp: Samheen 19th, Mid-Tradetide

Fidgeting and pacing now that his lonely shift was drawing near to its end, Blaine almost looked relieved when Eira approached him. Almost.

"Ho there, lady." His brow crinkled for a moment, as he tried to understand what the young elven woman was asking him.

"Err ... oh. Yeah, we've got a few inns 'round these parts." He looked up a moment, thinking how to frame his questions. Continuing, he spoke slowly and enunciated his words. "But first I need your name and ... uh, your reason that you are here. Do you understand?"

OOC: I made a bit of a boo-boo before with a timestamp. Rest assured, Blaine is the only guard working at the gates right now.
Last edited by Marcus O'Shea on Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Frowning as she continued to stare at the man, her expression grew significantly less blank as the guard deigned to voice every syllable of his words in a slow and precise manner. At this low level of speed, at least the elf could understand, could give her mind time to translate what the man was saying, as he was saying it. As such, the woman could only smile in nod in response to his last question, her answer quite cheerful as she spoke in the human tongue.

“Understand, yes. My name...is Eira. Reason...reason is why I come? I come to see city of Dort...I am...from Pan's Isle. I leave island to see more of world...that is reason.”

She thought that that was enough in the way of a response. After all, he had only asked for her reason to be here, and she had answered that as frankly as she could. Scuffing her feet on the floor below her in sign of her growing impatience, the woman looked up to lock gazes with the guard once more, before making to speak again.

“I can...go in city, now? ...Where...Where is 'inns'?”

He had not answered that question the first time she had asked it, or at least she did not think he had. Life would have been so much simpler if everyone just spoke elf.
Marcus O'Shea

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

Eira

Blaine nodded slowly as wrote, smiling that the achadiel had been able to understand. "One of these days, I'm gonna have ta learn a few languages. Lots of foreigners comin' round Dort these days..." he thought to himself, then looked up when he finished writing.

"Oh, sure. The Drunken Duck's probably the closest - just go down this first street until you hit the square, then look to yer -" Blaine stopped, remembering the language barrier. He was probably just confusing the poor woman.

He stood next to her and turned his parchment over so the unwritten side was showing. "Now, then. You start 'ere..." he began by drawing a crude picture of the gates, and then sketched more of the route as he spoke, "... then you're in the market square. Take this road down just a bit, and you'll see the Drunken Duck." he finished, with a rough picture of a duck clutching a bottle.

"Shouldn't take you more than a few burns, ya look like a fast walker. You got that, miss Eira?"

OOC: You can begin posting here after your response :)
Last edited by Marcus O'Shea on Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Twirling a few strands of flaxen coloured hair with one finger, the woman merely watched on as the guard started writing something on a piece of parchment. Once her had finished, the Achadhiel looked up to his face with a smile as he began to speak, incredibly intent on listening to his words so as not to miss any. She truly did not wish to present herself as too much of a bother for the poor man, and wanted to understand what he was saying as best she could so as not to trouble him any more than needed. Regardless of how hard she strived to comprehend Blaine’s words, however, her smile soon found itself being buried under the onslaught of a frown. The man was simply speaking in a way which was not coherent to her, and her mind in, turn, was flailing and generally feeling quite perplexed as a result. Obviously, however, the guard had managed to notice that too, as he ceased in his speaking to try again.

This time, Blaine was to fare a little better. Eira peered at the man’s scrawling curiously as he began to draw, wondering just what it was he thought he was doing for a time, before everything finally became blessedly clear. A tentative smile daring to work its way onto her tan features once more, and the female was nodding, indicating to the guard that she understood, and understood well.

“I…got that. Yes. Thank you…”

Grinning at the guard one last time, the woman then allowed her feet to carry her below the solid structure of the gates themselves, and into the city of Dort proper.

OOC: Thanks! :D
Dagny Linden

Post by Dagny Linden »

At the mention of rebellion, his mirth gave way to a stonier demeanor.

"Can't say I know much about such a thing, miss. Course, with the way those clansmen are, ya never can tell..." he looked around furtively, as though realising he was saying something he shouldn't.

Eyeing the woman carefully, he cleared his throat and continued. "At any rate, miss, you'll wanna be careful 'bout advertising that kinda skill ... can't say I care much, but some of the other guards forget how little we get paid for this."

Dagny cooled at Blaine's change in mood. Had she said something wrong? She hoped she had not appeared weak in front of a mere guard. Contempt rose in her throat like bile as she listened to the condescending words.

She narrowed her eyes and asked, “What did you mean about advertising my skills, guard?” She smiled slyly and slicked back her hair with one dirty hand. “I only said I could fight. Are you suggesting your friends might be interested in something more?” Dagny lowered her eyes as she spoke and gave a shy kick at nothing on the ground.

“I had hoped to find work using my hands. But, I guess, if you can point me in the right direction, I can put them to good use.” Again, she flashed Blaine shy smile and awaited his response.

OOC: Thanks so much for the message! Hope this is better. ;)
Marcus O'Shea

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

Flushing a bright crimson, the young guardsman tugged at his collar. "Er ... lady, I ... did not mean to suggest ..." he gripped his belt tightly and looked at the ground, perhaps hoping to find his words there.

With a cough, he straightened his back and continued. "I only meant that boasting of fighting skills might draw the attention of my fellows." he said in a pinched voice.

"If you're suggesting, erm, 'other' arts ..." he looked away as his faced flushed anew, "... it is not my place ta comment. Ya ..." he cleared his throat, "Er, try the Drunken Drunk, ah, I mean Duck, fer whatever trade you're wishin' to ply."

Blaine's stance and expression made it quite clear that he was finished with the conversation, as he pretended to see more arrivals on the horizon.

OOC: Okay Dagny, you can post here to continue :)
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

Ilaria trudged along the main road leading up to the gates. She was happy to have finally arrived and just wanted to get to the Abbey. Unlike most people, she was unimpressed by all of the lavish, seemingly over the top displays of wealth. Ilaria prefered to keep things toned down a bit.

Reaching the gates, she took off her cloak and sighed. "It sure is warm around here," she mumbled to herself. She gave the guard a weary smile and waited for him to acknowledge her presence.
Last edited by Ilaria da'Margeir. on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com
Perdita Faechild

Post by Perdita Faechild »

Timestamp: Samheen 19th, Late Tradetide

Blaine had left his shift and the gate was now being guarded by another young man with floppy chestnut hair and blue eyes. As Ilaria approached, he stepped towards her and tried to look official.

"Welcome to Dort. Please state your name and your business here," he said. "I'll need to write it down in this here book, for keeping a record like.

He picked up his quill expectantly.

ooc: welcome to Dort!
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

Ilaria smiled at the new guard and said, "My name is Ilaria da'Margeir. My long term busness here is to continue my healing training at the Abbey. My short term business is to find a place where I can get a good bath to get rid of all of this dust." She laughed, patted her dress, and watched the dust fly up to emphasize her point.

ooc: Thanks! :)
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

OOC: Ilaria, I have sent you a PM. Read and respond to me and we'll get you started. And welcome!!! :D

Return to “Dort Archive”