A Momentous Morningtide (Samheen 22)

Moderator: Mods

Andolin
Caesar

A Momentous Morningtide (Samheen 22)

Post by Andolin »

Cursing the servant who had awakened him with the note from Marius, Andolin dressed in his courtly attire and made for the office of the Major Domus. He could not recall receiving a summons very often, so he felt he had better respond. With Caesar's precarious condition, one needed to make sure that one offended no one.

Walking briskly to Marius' office, Andolin noted that there was a sense that something was wrong. Perhaps servants scurried here and there, whispering amongst themselves always, but they seemed somehow more furtive this morningtide. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep that made it seem that way.

Upon arriving at Marius' office, Andolin clutched the summons in one hand and knocked on the door with the other.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The Office of the Major Domos was not as it should have been. In truth, Andolin had little difficulty picking out subtle differences along the way to the to the series of chambers, such as an unusual number of servants rushing around, all with perplexed, almost frightened looks upon their faces and most of them wearing black. The Office itself was open, the door left wide, with no less that four guards flanking the hallway, their uniforms decorated with black ribbons and tassels.

And within the doorway, Marius' office looked...shabby. His desk, usually a clear surface of unbroken polish, was covered in scrolls and documents, documents that imperfectly hid an ugly ink stain upon it that ran shamelessly down the front to soil the rug below. The carpet itself was further stained by what could only be blood, blood that tracked towards one of the two windows in the room, leaving footsteps far too small for the Major Domos' own foot.

The Lord of the Chamber himself was no better presented, a servant passing him a coat and still holding a pair of high, black boots, recently polished such that they reflected the bright morning light. Marius took up the coat and forced one arm through as Andolin entered, and after he had shaken his black coat into place, he bowed slightly to the newcomer and motioned towards one of the two chairs in the room.

"Lord Azarin, thank you for coming so quickly. Thank you, that'll be all," dismissed the Major Domos, waving his servant away as he took up the replacement boots and threw them down upon the floor behind his desk. "Close the door, and send to the Lord Privy Seal, My compliments and I should like to see him at his earliest convenience. Take the message yourself," he finished to the servant. He appeared fatigued, quite drawn and ragged, an entirely new look upon the man that held virtually complete power in the Citadel itself.

Once the servant had disappeared, modestly closing the door behind him, Marius seemed to relax to some degree, though his face still held a measure of apprehension. Seating himself, he pulled his chair forward and addressed the Master of Protocol, though he fumbled with his boots beyond Andolin's sight. "You will dissolve the Office of Protocol immediately. All documents...receipts, invoices, salary lists, ledgers, anything at all...should be destroyed by fire, and the Offices vacated."

"I will ask you to accept a posting as Clerk of the Chamber thereafter, a posting I'll confirm through the Privy Seal directly," he declared, his words tumbling out as if he had rehearsed them. As he spoke, he stomped one of his feet into the polished, apparently new boot, filling the room with dull thuds. "I can't give you any time to consider upon it, Lord Azarin. Ceasar Anochrim perished last night, may the Gods bring him home, and I don't have a lot of time to give you to consider upon the matter."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It was as if there were two blows to his stomach at once. The black garb worn by those in the palace was a clue of sorts, but his mind had not awakened fully enough to realize the likely import of such appearances.

It was one look of disbelief, replaced with another. Disband the Office of Protocol? Why? It is the perfect place to be to avoid substantive scrutiny. He was about to give voice to his questions when the more sad news was delivered.

Caesar dead! Frankly, he had not thought it possible, or he would have been more ready. His protector was gone. Was that to be the story of his life? His father taken away by daemons, Thorkatla all but vanished, and now Anochrim. Oh, he had friendly enough dealings with Marius, Rioja and Silk, he supposed. But, none were his protector. Nor, could he manipulate them the way he could manipulate Anochrim. A golden opportunity gone in an instant.

Andolin wanted to swear against the gods, break something, kill someone, and set fire to something. Yet, all of these cathartic steps would avail him not at the moment. A lesser man would have headed home to pack and flee; but, Andolin was the epitome of confidence. If one could summon daemons, use dark magick, masquerade as a foreign noble, and insinuate himself into the highest levels of palace politics, one could survive unexpected events. Andolin was a survivor.

He could destroy the records of the Office. They mostly did not exist. He wondered whether by their destruction he would be able to keep what was left of his budget, without accountability.

"I can do that," he replied as soon as his rage passed. "Caesar's passing is a great loss to the Empire, but even moreso to me," he lamented. "Might I be permitted to ask as to the reasons behind your orders milord?" Although he was prepared to leave at once, this was a rare opportunity to gain insight into how the palace would change in the coming weeks.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

So your people won't be butchered, thought Marius immediately as his foot rammed home in his boot. While that might have been one of several reasons brought to Marius' attention only yesterday, the one he gave was perhaps the most primitive, an omission that Lord Azarin would certainly notice. "I've no interest in affording the office, Lord Azarin. We've no royal household in residence now, for the Caesar has passed away and the regent lost her influence with him. I suspect Lady Aesa will accompany Caesar Anochrim to Kislovan this Tradetide, and from there I suspect she will return home. She'll be hit hard by this loss, sir...consider that in your dealings with her."

Satisfied that his first boot was in place, Marius tackled the second, his form bent down to shift it before him. "Frankly, Lord Azarin, I need more hands. As of now, this Office has complete, autonomous control over activities within the Citadel itself, and I've no intentions of allowing it to become a circus..." as Anochrim had done "...I'd like your help in this matter, for the next few weeks will be...far too active for me to oversee directly. We will host the special sessions of the Advisor's Council as they debate the next Caesar endlessly, and that means foreign dignitaries. I hope you know at least some of the adhiel language."

"As the Clerk of the Chamber, you'll have the authority to act when I'm not available..." or when I'm dead, which might come sooner than later "...and assist in maintaining the security of the Advisory meetings. You'll need to relocate yourself within the palace...feel free to select the best of the chambers...and you'll need to get to work immediately. The Queen of Kislovan will expect her brother returned to her by Eveningtide, and I want you to assist the Kislovan Embassy with the arrangements for his final procession through the Citadel this very Tradetide. I'm going to arrange a few security matters as well, including the closure of the Citadel, so you must decide and accept this posting before Captain Synkaaros arrives. I expected him to arrive before you, to be honest. Soldiers are often the very soul of discipline and timeliness..." If Madam Elaine has finally recovered from her ordeal, it's likely he might visit her before he attends to me. And how surprised could I be if this nation were to grow sluggish due to the charms of a woman?
Last edited by Grant on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

A protest died in his mouth as Marius dismissed his Office as if it were nothing but a valet for Caesar. It was only the mention of the new order, or perhaps entropy, in the Citadel that caused him to ponder. If Aesa and Anochrim were gone, it seemed that the Major Domo would be one of the most prominent leaders in the Interregnum. As Marius was offering him a position as Clerk of the Chamber, Andolin would be a fool to decline. Somehow the title clerk stuck in his craw. Any title with Master in it was far more preferable. Still, he could not be choosy. He needed to accept whatever crumbs were tossed his way, and then use it as a new platform to scheme from.

If things did not go his way, Andolin assumed he could find a way to melt into the city unnoticed. Perhaps he could visit the Basilisk Stare again. "I glady accept, milord, and am happy to assist you in any way that I can," he replied firmly. "I am certain that I can be useful to you." And myself in the process.

He was not pleased with the prospect of trading his house for chambers in the palace, no matter how luxurious they might be. In the palace he was a prisoner of sorts.

"I shall go at once to close the Office of Protocol. All records shall be destroyed. I shall give instructions to have my things moved from my home to chambers within the Citadel. Then, I shall return to assist you with the procession. Tell me what you would have me do," he asked deferentially.

Along the way back, he would try and detour to visit Isabella and deliver the news. Perhaps he could get a letter to Kitya before the Citadel closed, warning her that he would need to remain in the palace for the indefinite future.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"I'll need you to organize the Caesar's final journey, Lord Azarin," responded Marius quickly as he stomped on his second boot, seating it into place as well. "The Kislovan Embassy will demand it this Tradetide, and you must involve Lady Aesa. It's the least we can do, I think. It should be public, and it should be a spectacle...and it should end at the Church of Pecunia, where we'll have arrangements for the Portal to take him home. Feel free to follow him to Kislovan and introduce yourself to the Queen, Lord Azarin, though I must beg you return here quickly. This is only the beginning..."

Ulder wrote:As was now becoming his usual custom, Ulder woke early and after his morning regimen, went to his office to read his daily reports. Upon seeing the many pages and Palace staff dressed in black, he knew almost immediately that something was wrong. It was a strange sight. The normally gaily dressed people shuffling about doing their various tasks, replaced by something more somber and solemn.

Something was very wrong indeed. Ulder kept his suspicions to himself. He feared the worst and hoped for the best as the page from the Office of the Major Domo gave his message about the immediate summons of Lord DeWinter.

It was then he felt the worst of his fears hit him.

He's dead. Gods help us all he's dead.

With long strides and his mind full of churning thoughts and emotions, Ulder made his way to the Major Domo's office. Knocking politely, he stood and waited for the Major Domo to bid him entrance.

"...I hope that's the Captain. I'd like you to hear his orders, Lord Azarin, so you'll be advised...feel free to slip away as soon as you must to get to work. And thank you for this, sir. I won't forget the service you're doing me. COME!" Demanded the Lord of the Chamber, fast enough to avoid the awkwardness his gratitude...an altogether new aspect of the man...might generate.

Ulder did not arrive alone. An adhiel noble arrived with him, a noble of some standing though the Captain did not know him. The adhiel glanced over the Captain and bowed slightly, both of them waiting to speak to the Major Domos. When the order came, the adhiel bowed and gestured that the Captain should enter first, as would be appropriate given the circumstances.

"Captain Synkaaros, please come in. We have a lot of business before us, Captain, and very little time. I believe you know Lord Azarin? Gentleman, may I present Lord Tamair Anghiril..." the Major Domos motioned to the adhiel that had arrived with Ulder, though the adhiel noble remained outside the chamber to insure he was not interrupting. How Marius de Winter knew that he had arrived outside was a mystery to both men, though Andolin had seen such from the Major Domos before. "...please join us, Lord Anghiril. Lord Anghiril is the Lord Privy Seal for the Chancellor's office, and I'd like both you gentlemen..." Marius nodded to both Anghiril and Ulder "....to bear legal witness to Lord Azarin's appointment as the Clerk of the Chamber?"

Tamair gave Andolin a haughty, casual look and a perfectly proper bow. "A pleasure, Lord Azarin, and my congratulations, Lord Clerk," he offered, though like many adhiel from Kislovan, his pleasure never was fully convincing when wretched humans were involved.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

There was only time for a cursory glance at Lord Anghiril before they were bade enter by Lord DeWinter. Ulder gave the man a quick bow of his own, followed by a nod of gratitude as the stranger politely allowed him to enter first.

He listened to the Major Domo quickly run through his list of of both perfunctory introductions and the reason he had been summoned. He had heard the name of Anghiril before, but this was certainly the first time they had been face to face. Ulder had little reaction to the man, as he had little other than this meeting to go on by way of impression.

His impression of Azarin however was quite different. It seemed to him that Lord DeWinter was giving the man a different job altogether than the one he had been performing until now. Judging by Lord Anghiril's reaction, it seemed a promotion of sorts.

This did not sit at all well with Ulder. In his experience with the esteemed Lord Andolin, the man had done little to earn or maintain trust, and their little incident at the home of Jacob DeBessnie was proof of that. Although he had mentioned it to DeWinter before, it seemed that the Major Domo had a different kind of trust level with Azarin.

Or perhaps he's merely pulling him in closer to have a better look... He silently mused.

"And you have my congratulations as well Lord Clerk."

As well as my suspicions that little of this appointment can be good for the people of this Empire... He thought grimly.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Marius rose and fought with his black coat, shaking it out and checking it over carefully for imperfections, for black was not a common, acceptable color to wear outside of 'official' mourning. "Thank you, gentlemen. Lord Anghiril, I'll expect a formalized document on my desk at your earliest convenience. That will be all, sir," he said, dismissing the Privy Seal after that one seemingly minor affair, though in truth it was anything but minor. Lord Anghiril seemed to have expected no less, and with a graceful bow, he rose and left, sealing the door behind him.

"Captain, here are my orders. The Citadel is to be sealed. Only those approved by myself or the Lord Clerk may be allowed admittance, though I will have a complete list of all persons entering and leaving the Palace and the mark of their arrival. You will send your reports to me daily, and have them delivered to my hand, Captain. In addition, you will send special contingents to the Harbor and the Temple of Pecunia. All arrivals by way of ship or portal are to be documented for the next week, with a particular eye towards coming diplomatic envoys. I need to know who arrives, when, and how many in each envoy. Those reports are to be delivered to my hand daily as well. The goal, Captain, is to spot any agents attempting to...manipulate the Assembly while they're in deliberation, which I expect to begin tomorrow, though nothing useful will be discussed until all representatives have arrived later in the week."

The Advisory Council met routinely, but most of their meetings were only perhaps half represented, with the absent Advisors off managing their own affairs or the affairs of their countries or affiliations. However, such a task as this...the death of the Caesar...would cause tremors all over the world, and it was likely that several nations would be sending additional attendants, replacement representatives, and perhaps less overt operatives as well as candidates for the position of Caesar. Marius could keep a tight fist on the proceedings and a sharp eye out for trouble, but his attention would not be perfect: for example, there was a portal in the Embassy of Dort, and Duke Erwin could bring whomever he chose without any accountability at all.

"Next, you are to provide a company of your finest to assist the Lord Clerk with the Caesar's funeral procession this Tradetide. I'll expect them to look very stunning, Captain, and they'll accompany the Caesar as far as the portal. The Queen of Kislovan will assume his honors once through the portal. You might choose to lead that yourself, sir, as it will be some time before we have a Caesar to serve again."

"I beg pardon, Lord Azarin...I've only a few other details to discuss with the Captain, if you'd care to be on the wing? And I promise, I'll not keep you too long either, Captain Synkaaros, for you must run up directly to Lady Elaine hereafter. I've heard she's recovered and awakened recently, and she would do well if you called upon her. I admit to some curiosity myself in what she might say, but alas...I find myself bound to my desk this morning," Marius cast a meaningful look at Andolin, as if such news should be valuable to the Lord Clerk.

That Marius cared very little for Elaine was perhaps a possibility despite his callous use of her name earlier, but his attitude towards the girl had softened considerably since her ordeal with the Caesar. She had confronted the plague that had struck down Anochrim, and the ordeal of her confrontation had left her bedridden and senseless for days, restlessly clawing at her sheets and murmuring such that she gave most a terrible fright.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Normally a man of many words, Andolin sought to change his persona at the moment. This was not a time for speaking but a time for listening. He accepted the congratulations politely and thanked the two men. He still did not like the title clerk, but if it carried with it suitable powers, he could live with it. That he was to have control over entry and egress from the Citadel was a demonstration of his new power, so he was satisfied.

"I shall leave you alone with the Captain for a time, milord." This was the first time he learned that Ulder was a Captain, rather than a Lieutenant. It was also the first time that he learned the man's last name.

"I shall return soon to confer with the Captain about the procession," he promised. There was much to do, so he was relieved to take his leave. Bowing to Marius and slightly to Ulder, he went his separate way, back to his Office.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder took careful note of the orders from Lord DeWinter. Sealing the Citadel was actually the easiest of the tasks in a way. Blocking off all access into the Palace was made much easier by the formidable defenses built so many years ago. His men would have little trouble sealing the access points and creating checkpoints for those with official business.

"I shall create an additional report of those seeking access, yet not on your original list, to keep you abreast of who is wanting in. That should provide some additional insight as to who thinks they need to be here."

It was some of the other demands that took a bit more care and caution from the Captain to address. In normal circumstances, he could not command the men of the harbor, as they were under the command of Captain Blye, but with some simple relaying of the Major Domo's orders, he was certain that Blye would be cooperative. Ulder assumed that DeWinter would not want obstacles like following the chain of command standing in the way of his demands. Ulder made a mental note to pass the orders on as quickly as possible.

"May I suggest full records of those passing into the city from the Portals? Maybe we need to have University Administration involved to limit access, and provide information for those travelling under that method. I will provide them with your access list and have them not allow any others entrance without your leave."

Ulder almost smiled at the thought of leading the Ceasar's Honor Guard. This was an opportunity that he actually relished, and one that he had been hoping for. Ulder's relationship with the Caesar had been one of contention at the Tourney and this was his chance to honor the fallen monarch with something personal. His mind instantly sprang forward with ideas about how to handle the procession.

"I have some ideas about the procession sir, and indeed I will lead it personally. To do it with full honors, and to make it an event worthy of his memory, I will need a considerable sum to outfit the men properly. Formal black uniforms and full tack and harness for a mounted unit of twenty, plus the uniforms and banners for the ring of steel that will accompany him at the very least. They will be stunning sir, but I will need the additional coin to make them so. Shall I bill your office?"

Ulder assumed that the Major Domo would comply with his request, so he let the question hang until answered.

At the mention of Elaine, Ulder said nothing, and simply stood his ground. He had assumed that his relationship with her had been a private matter, but it seemed that word had been getting around and there had been eyes upon them. He clenched his teeth tight in order to keep his opinions on this quiet. He understood very clearly what the Major Domo had done to Elaine, and he let that remain in the past for the time being as that was a battle for another day. Besides, he did want to check in on her progress.

As Lord Azarin left, he politely bowed in return and awaited for the Major Domo to continue.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Actually, Captain, I'd prefer you to send the bill to Lady Sosa's office, if she has one. And if not, forward it directly to the Treasurer Royal...and be sure it includes my name. If he gives you any trouble, by all means, direct him to me," responded Marius with a wave of his hand. He sat back down, his coat pulled into place leaving him to look perhaps quite imposing. "You're right about the portal, of course. See what the Purple Guard can accomplish through the University, though I remind you that the portal is located in the Temple of Pecunia. I'll provide what leverage I can from here, but my own powers end at the edge of the Patrician's Ring, so I might be limited. Thankfully, I have the Lord Chancellor's complete confidence, so I'm sure we'll get you the authority you need. Whatever you can do to monitor it...even if you must draft the City Guard..." The city guard, or the watch, was the lowest denomination of law in the Citadel. It included the goal keepers and harbormen that patrolled the more mundane areas of the city. Technically, the Provost Marshal of the City Guard was under Marius' command as well in the absence of the Caesar.

Ulder's concerns regarding his discretion were quickly relieved with Marius' next comment. "Just don't forget to send someone...yourself or otherwise...to speak with lady Elaine this morningtide. No one has spoken to her since she was requested to consult upon the Caesar's condition two days ago, and due to the horrible state it brought her to, I suspect she might have some insights to forward your investigations. I have every reason to suspect assassination, Captain Synkaaros, so add this to your priority list as well. If indeed it was an assassination..." there was little doubt in the minds of anyone in the Citadel "...then she might be in danger as well given what she might already know."

"Now unless you have any additional questions, Captain, I'll wish you luck in your tasks. I'll be quite busy today, of course, but you need only send a page for me and I'll attend to you directly. Let them see that this Empire can still operate, even after such a trial, sir."
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Very well sir, I shall excuse myself to do complete your tasks. I shall inquire into the health and well being of the lady Elaine and leave you be. You can expect my first report later today."

Ulder withdrew from the room and tried very hard to keep all the disdain and suspicion out of his thoughts as he retreated into the corridors of the Palace. Although he had a great amount of respect for the Major Domo, the man had done little to maintain that respect. He bit the inside of his cheek gently as he silently swore to deal with what DeWinter had done to Elaine sometime in the future.

Right now he needed to be smart in picking his battles.

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin. Nicely done, guys: good luck! Sent for teh skillz.

G

Post by Guest »

You've received the following skill advances

Andolin -
Etiquette + *
Inner Calm + *

Ulder -
Etiquette + *
Negotiation + *
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”