The Truth Beneath ~ Barrett (Closed)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

The Truth Beneath ~ Barrett (Closed)

Post by Grant »

Barrett wrote:The young Dortman would like to have had a comforting word for the Northern princess and the adhiel healer, but in truth there were too many unanswered questions. The Caesar's fate was far from assured. For good or ill. He bowed rather formally as he made his exit from the royal bedchambers.

And returned with a new sense of purpose to his solitary quest for knowledge.
Where would be best? My chamber? The archives? Witnesses are undesired, but what if the Book requires clarification from other sources?...

Barrett left the chambers, the air within having grown stifling and thick due perhaps to the press of people within. Beyond, the purple-clad guards remained stiff and stoic, though he knew at least one of them glanced in his direction with at least some measure of curiousity, reminding the querist that when he first arrived, he had been...less than entirely visible.

Despite this, the hallway seemed vacant and quiet, as was the rest of the fortress palace, as if the ponderous structure held it's breath to allow the Caesar some rest.
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett gave the guards a polite servant’s nod as he passed. He would have been amused at the reaction had he not been concentrating on other things.

Rioja’s words echoed in his head.
”If at all possible” … even she sees his death or continued debilitation as likely. Moreover, what of the efforts of Lady Elaine? Could the Mother not heal him? Or is there something… some barrier? A marred healing? Between Anochrim and the Mother goddess?

Barrett’s steps drew him onward and his head cleared somewhat as he left the royal chambers behind. The healthy caution that was the result of his dealing with demons, paladins and assassins kicked in. He took a circuitous route that included both public halls and servant passages, tiled floor and carpet. Ears, eyes and other senses focused on the environment to determine if he had any observers. Once satisfied that no undesired attention was upon him, he headed back to his quarters.

Secrecy is most important for this. If I have need of the library, it will be close enough to find.
Almost, he knocked at Kordan’s door to see if the achadhiel might stand watch with him. However, even that much trust was too great a stretch.

Now… how does one ask a question of the Book? Just by opening it? Is the question literally “one question” or is it more of a topic that the Book makes clearer?

The Querist laid the tome before him, reverence apparent in his every motion. It had belonged to Asran … Asran the Strong. To whom Barrett was cartisan. A gift directly from the Thinker.

“Lord, Aurelius, the questions I must answer are most desperate and time is of the essence. I mean no disrespect in taking this possible shortcut to gain the knowledge I seek. Please guide me, that I might not waste this gift earned with the life of your faithful servant Asran.”

He relaxed and went into a meditative state, using both hard-earned mental discipline and the physical techniques he had learned from the Red Priestess. No distracting thought should be present to throw off his concentration on the Question he must ask.
What is the manner in which Caesar Anochrim has been struck down- what agent has stricken him and how?
Once his focus was complete, Barrett opened the book to see what answer it might reveal.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

With careful focus, Barrett formulated his question in his mind such that his surroundings fell away into an insubstantial blur around him. Soon enough, all that remained was the book...not even his own hands seemed to enter the focus of his concentration, and when he was finally prepared, he opened the tome to whatever page fate would give him.

The book opened like any other, it's pages feeling ordinary and lifeless though they seemed...unnaturally white and almost bright within Barrett's concentration. When it came to a rest, one page was open to him and filled with careful, unnatural, blocky text that was easy to read yet sharp enough to give the Querist some trouble actually seeing.

Book of Answers wrote:Caesar Anochrim died of liver damage and blood pollution in the yahren 1224 AD. This failure is a direct result of severe internal trauma caused by a necrotic toxin mixed and formed within his bloodstream and active for nearly two full tides, during which time he suffered accute damage to his kidneys, heart, lungs, liver, and bloodstream.

The Thotho stork of the Mu-at lake in Amun Rah sheds a bright red feather that contains a colorless substance within the quick structure itself. This substance is inherently non-reactive and harmless in itself, and can be stored indefinitely. However, it possesses a reactive instability that, when combined with certain other materials in an appropriate fashion, can become deadly. One example of such reactivity is the pomegranate.

The tough, leathery skin or rind of a pomegranate is typically yellow overlaid with light or deep pink or rich red. The interior is separated by membranous walls and white, spongy, bitter tissue into compartments packed with sacs filled with sweetly acid, juicy, red, pink or whitish pulp or aril. In each sac there is one angular, soft or hard seed.

The quick of a Thotho blood feather combined with certain elements of a pomegranate's interior tissue react to form a powerful necrotic toxin that can degenerate and destroy living matter not unlike the bite of a loxosceles reclusa spider. The toxin reacts quickly, damaging living matter at an astonishing rate before it dissolves and becomes innert leaving behind only the damaged tissue. Due to this violent reactivity, the toxin must be mixed and administered quickly or, in most cases, formed in the bloodstream itself where it will cause considerable internal damage before it dissipates.

Caesar Anochrim ingested common pomegranates after receiving a dose of this blood feather agent into the bloodstream by way of a prepared weapon used against him in the Citadel tourney of 1224 AD and later transfered to his bloodstream. His digestive system introduced the binary chemical from the pomegranates needed to complete the binary toxin over the course of two tides, heightening the devastation of the chemical...

The book trailed off for a few sentences, becoming more and more blurry and insubstantial...almost illegible...thereafter.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

It took a flicker for the young priest to make sense of the text that appeared before him. It was there and yet... not. The strange print etched itself into his mind. The language was unusual, more technical than just about anything he had read save mathematical tables. And, in its own way, it sang to him much as the Song of the Mother had opened Elaine's experience of the world.

Joy at understanding new language and symbols was mixed with a small thread of fear. Each paragraph Barrett deciphered solidly confirmed his own research and theories. But the Book spoke with certainty of Anochrim's death. That could not be a good sign.

It might have been a few burns or a half mark that he stood and contemplated this new knowledge. The full implications set off alarms within him. His discipline was the only thing that kept him from shouting.

Barrett picked up the book and headed back out of his chambers. Pulse pounding, anxiety mixed with elation etched into his every feature, he went to seek Rioja. The edges of his vision started to blur, but he disregarded the signs of fatigue. His adrenalin would have to carry him.
She must know... NOW!
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Rioja wasn't difficult to find, for she was in her own chambers that, predictably enough, was filled with documents and texts of her own research. Barrett arrived to find the door ajar and the guards outside to appear somewhat bored and blank, another predictable circumstance, for the woman within was notoriously closeted and didn't often receive visitors for one reason or another.

Just within the door to her chambers was a sitting room, though hers was far from elegant or even reasonably tidy. A stack of books rested upon one small table designed to hold nothing more than a candle or perhaps a potted plant, and rolled parchments were nestled in the seat of all her chairs, for these were little more to the lady than another place where she might hold such things.

The lady herself was seated in the next room, the one that would ordinarily be her study or parlour, though she had allowed her cluttered mess to infect it as well. "Master Barrett," she said, perhaps long before he presented himself before her. "You seem perhaps distracted. You've learned something. What is it?" she asked directly, though her voice held what might have been concern instead of the direct order that was her traditional trademark.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett closed and secured both the outer door and the door to Lady Rioja's study. He then moved as close to the powerful woman as he dared and spoke in the lowest voice he could manage.

"Lady Rioja-"
He froze. The excitement drained out of his features. The concern in her voice, the tirelessness with which she pursued a cure, her handling of the Caesar's affairs... could he really tell her?

"I have been researching a very specific hypothesis: that Caesar Anochrim has been poisoned. That no poison had been detected led me to conclude that the poison must be of a very foreign nature and/or might in fact have been delivered as two separate chemicals - each one seemingly harmless in itself and thus not searched for as a potential cause."

"Since my investigation has supported - but could not confirm - this hypothesis, and being moved to urgency by tonight's ... meeting, I consulted the Book of Answers that was entrusted to me by my late master. The Book - it is a very confusing artifact. It appeared to give me a glimpse at things written by a historian in the future."

He looked to Rioja to see if she would take such a thought seriously. Had someone told Barrett such a thing only last month, he would have thought them quite mad.

"The information that I found there confirmed that a pomegranate catalyst was added to the Caesar's system after he had been dosed with the substance culled from the quick of a Thotho's feather - from the Thotho stork of Amun Rah. These two substances have combined in his blood to create a toxin that destroys living matter. Similar to certain deadly spider venoms... That is your infective agent. But there's more -"
His next words caught in his throat.

"According to the future history, this poison will kill him."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Lady Rioja was in action immediately, fleeing her study to check on the main entrance to her chamber. Comfortable it was closed and that no eavesdropping could be possible, she rounded on Barrett, her expression one of contempt and almost hostility. "Nothing can predict the future. I advise you to never repeat that to anyone again. Especially the Caesar. No one is to hear of that, do you understand?" she commanded, her unblinking, suddenly passionate eyes conveying a sense of determination.

She composed herself quickly, standing motionless for a moment with her eyes closed. But it's true. He will die, then...the Book would have given a statistical probability for his survival if there were still in any doubt at all, she knew, her jaw tightening. But Barrett must be given to believe otherwise...for his own good. And I will not allow Anochrim's killer to go unknown. I must get him to speak of it...to reason upon it.

"Why do you claim it to be a toxin when we've found none within him? Poisons and toxins linger...and a venom would not have lasted for so long. How can you claim this despite the research we've already done? What's the nature of this...Thotho toxin that it might defy our best methods of inspection?" she added, though her questions seemed...almost resigned and desperate, a strange sense of emotion that was not customary in the woman.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The strength of Rioja’s reaction set off Barrett’s defenses. Bright Aether flames of silver energy limned his body to emphasize his mental shield. It was an instinctive, unsubtle reaction. Barrett’s first use of magickal shielding had come about as a response to a demon’s attempt to possess him and it was always difficult for him to manifest a less powerful version.

"Nothing can predict the future. I advise you to never repeat that to anyone again. Especially the Caesar. No one is to hear of that, do you understand?"

Personally, the Querist considered it unlikely that he - or anyone else - would be speaking to the Caesar, but he kept that thought wound tightly within the deepest part of his mind.
“Lady Rioja, you are the only one to whom I have made report. I have no reason to share this information with any other.”

The mark of the Thinker within his inner core also gave the priest strength to overcome his awkward presentation. He stood tall and spoke with confidence as he gave his report of the reasoning and research that had led to his present conclusion.

“Why did I suspect a toxin? First, because no one else has come down with the Caesar's illness. It seems to have had a rapid enough onset that we would have seen other cases of such a disease by now. Second, no magical meddling has been detected. Though my understanding of such things is small, I am given to believe that magick would have left some traceable energy signature. Finally, because he is the Caesar and poisoning is always a possibility.

Why has nothing been detected? I am not privy to your data or methods in detecting such things, but two ideas come to mind. One, that the toxin is rare enough and of exotic enough origin to be something you might not be examining for. Two, that the toxin is gone: it is something fast-acting that dissipates after doing the damage.

Next we come to the problem of why nothing was detected in food and drink or on the tournament weapons. Again, the theory of exotic origin seems good. But it should have been easier to detect on objects than in the patient's body. What if the poison were not a poison? What if two substances, neither of which was harmful or toxic on their own were introduced separately into the Caesar's body? The right substances could later combine in his blood to form a binary substance that would have a most harmful effect.

Mistress Tabeann and I split the research. Among the works we perused were mentions of many odd substances. My exploration of Amun Rah as a source revealed the pomegranate as a potential culprit. This fruit is known to have a catalyst effect on many substances both harmful and benign. My attention was also drawn to the Thothos - the blood red stork that is seen along the river Emphalis. Even the mighty crocodiles do not bother this graceful creature. Probably because its entire body is permeated to varying degrees with the product of a poisonous plant that it eats. According to the Book, the particular part of the bird used - the quick of the feather - contains a substance that is not toxic on its own. I had hoped to speak with those that examined the tourney weapons and perhaps examine them myself to determine the likelihood of such a thing. It seems odd that only one weapon could have carried the substance - unless it were the Caesar’s own weapon.

Still. As you say, I have no proof. Only a theory. So I resorted to using the Book. That little meeting tonight moved me... and I strongly suspect that Aurelius may have inspired my haste as well as my choice of materials for the initial research.”

“What will you have me tell Tabeann? Technically, I am her apprentice and it seems a waste to have her continue her research into this.”
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Rioja merely nodded as Barrett spoke, absorbing his information quickly. She was an astute thinker, and his answers clearly satisfied her and gave her much to consider...which she did in mere moments. At his final question, she simply pursed her lips and paced for a moment, her hands crossed behind her back. She did this for perhaps half a burn before she spoke again, her voice filled with conviction.

"If we accept that your source is perfectly accurate...which I'm inclined to believe it is...then there is no purpose for Tabeann to continue her research. Also, if it is accurate, there can be no antidote or curative for this sickness, for it has already run its course. Still, we must consider the hopes of the court and the Caesar himself. The book might have accepted Anochrim's death as a certainty, but nothing of the future can be certain. Instead, you will speak of it to no one. We can only keep him comfortable and hope he might recover, and we must leave Tabeann to continue her research in ignorance, for I would not have the full extent of your insight to become known by anyone."

"Instead, we might consider researching the toxin itself. A pomegranate is no uncommon thing...they're frequent here at court, so researching this is futile. But this...thotho feather...this is a very rare addition to our puzzle that might provide insight into the would-be assassin. I've not heard of such a thing, though I'm no great mind on poisons. You will make what discrete inquiries you can to learn of it immediately. If necessary, you will go to Amun Rah and, with my introduction to the Rafao Ionis, you will attempt to track down how it was acquired there."

The woman paused and gave Barrett a level, almost sympathetic look. "You must do this yourself, young man, and it must be you. Make some excuse...perhaps you must rest for a few days, or you must visit relatives in Dort...make whatever excuses you can to throw off suspicion of your real task. I would have you do this because it seems likely to me that this attempted murder was done by someone with both great skill, and very great resources at their disposal...and they will most likely will have agents here in the Citadel. If news of your trip to Amun Rah should become public, not even the Rafao could protect you completely from this assassin. Do you think you can do this, Barrett?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett listened and watched very carefully for any sign that the lady was speaking one thing while meaning yet another. The toxin was known. It seemed more logical to the Querist to backtrack from the victim and poisoning to catch the culprit.

Barrett frowned. Was she trying to get rid of him? Was she hiding something?

If Rioja were the murderer, she need only kill Barrett where he stood to prevent his knowledge from spreading. Unless... unless she intended instead to use him to throw suspicion upon another. In which case she would need to get rid of him until she could plant a trail that led elsewhere.

Only, the reactions that she had shown seemed sincerely motivated by love of Anochrim. And would she not have spun a more attractive web if it were her intention to use the Querist? Barrett set out the different pieces carefully, as he would on a Kemn board. No. Rioja stood to gain nothing from the death of the Caesar. If anything, it might lessen both her influence and her reputation as a healer.

"Are you certain that such a journey is prudent? Would it not be easier to track the weapon back to the person that poisoned it and work from there? The River Emphalis is large and there are probably many Thothos. Tracking each feather that has fallen from one of them for Thinker knows how many yahren back... And where each might have gotten to... Seems a daunting task that may well prove fruitless, skilled as the culprits must be at planning to have carried this out."

"And for a newcomer to be making inquiries about such a rare object in Citadel will draw attention quite quickly... Even with a plausible explanation, the assassin will surely be on the lookout for any questions of that nature."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"No, that wouldn't work at all. There were too many weapons at the tournament, used and handled by too many different people. And we can't even assume the Caesar's opponents were those that delivered the dose. To say nothing of finding the participants a week later," she said, waving a hand in dismissal.

"The only firm fact I've heard is that this...feather is the source of his ailment and that it, like the pomegranate, originates in Amun Rah. Those are fact, and they're the only items I can see that can be researched. As the feather and the fruit originated from the same region, maybe this method of poisoning is documented there? Either way, that's the only avenue I see to assist you in your investigation."

"I will continue to attend to the Caesar as best I can, given that I know how he was struck down. I have no great confidence in his chance at this time. Do what you must to pursue this killer, but do not speak of his impending demise, for that would cause a panic and could damage his chances for recovery."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Fatigue was catching up with the Querist... despite the serious matters at hand, he found his mind wandering. The semi-familiar pattern of the Thinker's map of the universe intruded. Dancing motes of dust, of light, that were really worlds...

"I will explore what avenues I can uncover, Lady Rioja, but I fear I have overstrained my energies on this day. The Book and my earlier explorations and interviews... have tired me. I have arranged with Master Bevan to interview some of the servants over the next day or two... and to meet with Lord de Winter for my official hiring interview."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Rioja sighed as well and closed her eyes, a hand creeping up to her temple. All at once, the strain and fatigue were clearly visible upon her. "Ah...I'm strained as well, Barrett. I should follow your example and rest for now. And in truth, I must focus my abilities on the Caesar. You've given me much to assist in that...at least I now know what kind of damage was done...so for that, I thank you."

She smiled...a real smile that seemed genuinely out of place on the otherwise dispassionate and stern woman...before she nodded to him. "Rest well. We'll tackle these problems later. I hope the interviews go well. Every time I see Anochrim, it feels me with...anger. Whatever you need...just call on me."

(OOC: A departure and a closure? Are...we....done here? :D)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

More words did not seem in order: after all, Barrett's feelings on Anochrim's health were fairly impersonal. Any sympathetic niceties he might offer would ring hollow when compared with Rioja's passion.

Still, he was glad he had been able to provide some assistance. And he sincerely hoped that she would find a way to restore the leader, both because it would help maintain order and because it was so important to her.

But words came... from some inner prompting. Barrett attempted one last communion with his master Aurelius for the day. He stilled himself and reached within to the silver flame of the Thinker's essence. It took some effort to kindle it into a respectable light, but the situation - and Rioja's dedication - deserved it.

Once the silver energy was active, he let the pattern of light reach out to bathe Lady Rioja. A touching of minds and the Thinker's blessing.
"Your dedication and accomplishments will provide tales for many generations to come. We must both rest, but let us both wake in the Morningtide with renewed determination and the blessing of Aurelius in our search for knowledge."

Though he must surely have been awake to recall the way back to his chambers, that prayer was the last memory Barrett could recall when he finally roused from a much-needed rest.

(OOC: And a slow fade... ;) out. )
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin! What things could a thinker think if a thinker could think of things? I'm not sure, but I suspect a thinker could think of all the things a thinker could think...but only if the thinker thunk good ;)

Sent fer skillz!

G
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Skillzd
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”