Thyle - Finding the Docks

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Thyle nodded his thanks to the man and lifted the heavy rope to coil it. He dropped it at his feet when done and moved on to the next rope, feeling the beads of sweat form like rain drops on his brow as he worked. The second rope dropped to the deck soon after and Thyle turned to see Polm. He wiped his forehead and smiled at his friend, 'Oars. Right.'

'You need a box.' Thyle commented, his eyes creasing in amusement at Polm height predicament, 'Or another bench, perhaps.' He chuckled and seated himself on a bench behind the halfling. 'At least it's cooler down here,' he said, pulling his oar experimentally towards him and feeling the weight of the water beneath. 'Hmm,' he muttered distractedly, changing his grip several times until he was comfortable. 'That'll do,' he stated finally, his hands a shoulder width from each other, the weight of the oar balanced nicely between his hands. He looked up and peered around the space, 'Who's going to say when?' he asked no one in particular.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Wicked sorry for the late reply!

IC:

"I don't need a box!" Polm said indignantly with a huff, but then as he really tried to row, he realized that Thyle was right and gave a blush that was barely seen in the dark environment. "Ok, maybe a small box might do me some good." He grinned.

At the head of the benches the green jacketted man stood high on his own pedastal. "Ready your oars men, let's get us out of this harbour!" He pointed to two drummers at the rear of the boat. "Row! Row!" And with each demand came the strong beat of the taught animal skin drum. After a few calls the man no longer had to yell the word, instead the drummers took over. It didn't take long for the the rhythm to increase to a pace that brought sweat to Thyle's brow. Men pulled off their shirts, the closed quarters that had been cool now seemed stuffy and hot. No windows meant no fresh air.

The halfling was doing his best to do his rowing as well, but it was even more difficult for him. He had to crouch down to get to the water level with the oar, and then stand back up again to lift it from the depths. It was a much more arduous prospect for him especially as the beat increased. He wiped his brow constantly and a sweat stain was forming down his back. Huffing and puffing he continued his work however. He wasn't about to be weaker than the me around him just because of his height. Polm hated to be looked down upon, atleast in the intellectual way. There was little way to avoid being looked down on physically aside from stilts.

"Just a bit further men! Soon the sails will catch the western winds and carry us toward the great Western Terra!" The rowing continued for a good time until there was a jerk and the boat shuddered and then it seemed as if there oars were cutting through nothing. "Alright, PULL IN!" The jacketted man called out and immediately they started doing just that. "All unskilled labourers back to your cabins. Rest up and wait to be called to the mess hall."

Polm turned around to look at Thyle. "Wo...oh..w" He said disjointedly. "Tough.. work, eh?" He wiped his brow with his dampened shirt sleeve.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

The beats of the drum reverberated down Thyle's spine with each churning stroke of his oar. He leant forward, pushing with his arms and back, the muscles visibly tensing and releasing as he heaved back with his shoulders. Boom. He pushed forward, his left arm straining to keep with his other, stronger one. Boom. A rush of adrenaline seeped out into his back as his shoulders heaved the oar back, beads of shining sweat forming like rain on his brow. Boom. He let his breath come steady with each beat, pushing the air out of his lungs as he dove forward with the oar, and then sucking the oxygen in hungrily as he drove backwards. His brow remained creased with concentration and the perspiration ran freely down his face, soaking his neck. His shirt became wet and he tore it off impatiently, leaving his torso shining with oily damp, each muscle visibly pulsing under his olive skin. Boom. The last drum beat left Thyle shaking as the energy left him in a rush of cold sweat.

He stood slowly, every muscle in his body screaming at him to sit back down as he walked numbly and unsteadily around his bench to collect his soaking shirt from the floor where he had discarded it. He nodded breathlessly at Polm, 'Tough.' he confirmed, giving his friend an exhausted smile. He bunched up the wet shirt and secured it under his arm, 'Back to the cabins now?' he said to his small companion, noting silently that the halfling must be ten times more exhausted than he. The exertion was far greater for the tiny man, though Thyle made a conscious decision not to mention it, for fear of offending him.

The tall, soaked in cold sweat Half-giant made his way shakily back up on deck, wondering, with a small rush of anticipation, what the pretty Riana would say if she could see him now.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It was a good thing Thyle didn't say anything about Polm's extra effort and superior sweating, for he was a proud creature, and didn't like to consider himself out of shape, though he had put on a few pounds around the middle that were a bit excessive. Halflings were, by nature, a relaxed people. Farmers and herders, they weren't known for physical prowess. Polm was no exception.

He wiped his forehead again and took a few deep breaths. He was glad that Thyle was perspiring as well. It made him feel as if he had worked as hard as the half-giant, though there was no way it could be true. Polm didn't think of that, however.

Up on deck a whoosh of cold air washed across the muscled man's dampened shoulders and back bringing a shiver down his spine. The sails had been unfurled and caught surges of air. Polm took in a deep intake of the salty air. "Ah! To be at sea once again!" He said excitedly and looked across the blue ocean. "Perhaps you should put on your shirt before you attract the attention of the paying guests." The halfling said sagely. "Either that or head back down to the cabins." He shrugged.

The deck was littered with all different people. Some were the labourers who were pulling on ropes and tying them off to strong metal findings on the ship to keep them in place and allow the winds to catch the silken sails. Mixing with them, however, were curious passengers watching the hustle and bustle. The humor of it would wane quickly. Nobles were fickle creatures, and they bored easily. Infact, most of the paying customers were on the next level up, in an open air cafe where they were being served afternoon tea. They looked down on the commoners even now.

"Bet that pretty lass is up there, somewhere." Polm whispered. "You think she's looking down here, or is she too caught up with that fellow she was with?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Thyle smiled and shrugged into his damp and crumpled shirt, not bothering with any of the buttons. He didn't care much about the Noble's ideas of decency, it was only one Noble that he wished to impress. He shrugged the thought away though, and looked the other way. He was glad to be out in the open instead of the stuffy cabins, and he spent a few moments watching the nobles idly before answering Polm's question.

'I'm sure a lady like herself has better things to do than watch us labourers,' he said with a good natured grin. But the slight edge he put on 'labourers' betrayed the bitterness in his voice, and he couldn't help but cast a hopeful glance up the Nobles, scanning the crowd for a glimpse of Riana.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Riana was no where in sight as Thyle glanced around the ship. "Either way..." Polm started. "I'm sure she's around." He shrugged. "Maybe we should head back to our room. Get changed into some clean clothes." The halfling started heading toward the stairway heading below deck. He shuffled his little feet as he walked, hoping to slow his pace enough that the half-giant would come right alone.

"Thyle. You can't wait around for her." His bright green eyes looked at his friend and tried to catch his eyes to punctuate the point. "She's.. you know... nobility." He wasn't one to necessarily think that a person's state said anything about who they were, but when it came to women, he was cautious. "You don't want to offend her, or her friend Houstian." His brows raised slightly. "You know. As much as I was kidding about going into someone's room and trying to find something to wear to dinner, maybe it could actually work. We'd just have to find a particularly short fellow's and a particularly tall fellow's clothes. That's not that hard... Well, maybe a bit." He grinned. Overall, he was an adventerous soul. He couldn't help himself. "What do you say?"

Post by Guest »

Thyle stared at Polm for a moment, his expression blank. Then something seemed to click and a beautiful smile spread across his face and he leaped at Polm, laughing as he slapped him enthusiastically on the back, 'Brilliant!' he said, the sides of his shirt flapping as he turned around, wringing his hands in excitement, a peculiar twinkle in his golden eyes. He surveyed the deck around them, searching for something, 'Right.' he said, suddenly businesslike, his brow knotting in concentration. One hand reached up to scratch his whiskery chin absently, 'Which way to the rooms?'

The young half giant turned to his friend, his face shining with excitement. He must have looked a peculiar sight, still damp with sweat, his shirt flapping uselessly around his torso, and a boyish expression of exhilaration on his face. 'My friend,' he said to Polm, making an attempt to button his shirt, 'we are about to have some fun.'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh for the.. oooof" Polm put his hands up quickly to brace his fall as he was slammed down on the deck following Thyle's enthusiastic slap on the back. "Boy, I'll not tell you again, you need to stop doing that!" He pulled himself up from the wooden floorboards and looked at his companion. "Seriously."

Brushing the dirt off his sweaty clothes with little success he took a deep breath. What have I gotten myself into? He then sighed outward and looked across the water. "I guess we could try just going into random rooms." He shrugged and started walking to the staircase that lead below deck to their steerage cabins, that way they wouldn't look out of the ordinary.

Once below, he took the same diversion they had taken before when they met the beautiful lady and her companion. "If we get spotted we are in for a world of trouble. I'd say the best of luck is going to be finding pieces of suits from a few different rooms. I doubt we'll find any man that is your size all around, but maybe one long legged fellow and a broad shouldered nobleman have taken the voyage." There were ten different doors, five on either side, that they could try. "What do you suggest?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for the wait!

ic: 'Sorry.' The apology was brief, and the young half-giant was eager to explore, almost dancing on his toes with anticipation. He strode easily past Polm and took the stairs two at a time, waiting at the bottom for his companion with a smile on his face.

When they reached the doors Thyle stopped, gazing at the maze of brassy doorknobs pensievely, reaching up with a large hand to absently rub the side of his face. 'Start on the outside and work our way in?' he suggested, his golden eyes sparkling.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Molly Brown walked down the corridor with her full mink shrug draped over her wide shoulders. Her ample bussom swayed left to right at each step she took and her curly hair, pulled back with a comb, bounced with just as much vigor. She was dressed in a black dress that corsetted her wide waist into a more pleasing feminine form. She was a writer in the Citadel who was travelling abroad for stories and inspiration. Miss Molly Brown, not married at 30 yahren, irritated most of the noble aristocrats, for she was just extremely wealthy thanks to her own cunning. They called her 'new money' and the women tried to avoid both her and her quit witted mouth.

Thyle, however, was much too transfixed with his hand reaching out to the brassy knob to hear her footsteps. Perhaps this was because, even for a woman of her size, she walked lightly, or maybe he was just too caught up in the idea. "Well, I'll be a Dominican on Pan's Isle!" She announced. "You better be heading into my room to fluff my pillows." One of her arched auburn brows raised as she looked at Thyle, but her approach never slowed.

Polm drew very quiet at the presence of the large woman who seemed to dwarf everything around her both with her chest and with her aura. She laughed, a deep, contageous sort of laugh, the kind one has directly following a dirty joke that is just too good to be ignored. Her smile was wide and honest, and there was a sparkle in her eyes similar to that of Thyle. She was just as playful. "So what're you doing up from steerage, honey?" Her soft brown eyes looked up at the handsome half-giant. "Name's Molly Brown, but just call me Molly Brown." She winked at the joke. "Really, Molly is fine. What's your name, suga?"

Post by Guest »

ooc: hey there! I'm back from holidays and ready to go! *grins*

ic: Thyle straightened suddenly, the lines in his back tensing. His outstretched hand stayed swaying just before the brassy doorknob, and he withdrew it slowly before turning to face the buxom woman stood watching him with an appraising eye. He noted her jovial appearance and wide smile, and he visibly relaxed, reaching up with one hand to remove the hat from his head before bowing politely, auburn hair falling casually from his shoulders.

He straightened, looked at Miss Brown and made to introduce himself,

'It is a pleasure to meet you... Molly. My name is Thyle Hwendian. But you can call me Thyle,' One side of his mouth twitched upwards, 'and this is my travelling companion, Polm Perriwinkle.' He swept a large hand in Polm's direction, and was surprised to see the usually so happy man reduced to seeming so very small and quiet.

Although the woman seemed happy and kind enough, Thyle was sure that taking chances in their current situation was not worth the risk.

'We apologize for the misunderstanding,' he said politely, trying to keep the line between steerage crew and nobility noticable. Although he would have liked to have engaged the lady in friendly conversation, the young half-giant didn't feel that nobility approved of young and cocky workmen.

'It appears we located the wrong room when searching for..' his mind searched rapidly for an excuse, and rested upon the man they had met when arriving on the ship, hearing the words spoken from the beautiful Lady Riana's lips, '…Lord Frederick Houstion's room. We were sent to do some lifting work for the gentleman and his lady.’ He lied easily, hoping that this Molly Brown didn’t know the man too well. ‘I wonder if you could perhaps point us in the right direction of his residence? We are sorry to have taken up so much of your time.’
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Welcome back!

IC:

Polm indeed felt as small as he looked when his halfling body was compared to Miss Molly Brown. "Well, isn't he just a bite sized bit of nothin'," she said through a wide grin rimmed with deeply red rouged lips. She didn't wear much for make-up, but what she wore pronounced her best features. For her lips were full, and looked quite soft. Perhaps not as soft as the Lady Riana's, but hers had been subtle and much like rose petals of the softest pink, their image still lingered in the back of Thyle's mind. "Pleasure to be meeting you both, and as for Lord Houstian, I'm surprised he would have anything to do with the either of you. He's probably the second richest man on this rig, well, aside from the man who designed her.

"And what is this 'his lady' business, did that little lady say yes to his proposal after all? I was sure that her mother was all for it, but the spirited young woman, I thought she'd put up more of a fight." If Molly could look dismayed through her ever present smile and permanently sparkling eyes, then she did just then, as if a small bit of her reality had crumbled. It was a very small bit, of course.

"Frederick's room is a good ways away. I have a feeling neither you, nor you wee friend were looking for his accomodations, though. What're you really after boys? And if it has anything to do with bringing Frederick down a peg or two, well, I'd hate to have anything to do with it, but please step into my room." There was something about the way she said hate that just screamed of sarcasm, or even more than it, as if it was the polar opposite of whatever she actually meant.

This time it was Molly who reached for the door. Her fingernails were painted in the same color as her lips, and matched the small red bits that were on her dress. They were just stiches, and a few roses, nothing spectacular. Infact, it was an elaborate evening gown which she was wearing in the midday. None of the other women had approved. They thought it was too revealing of her... assests. Miss Molly Brown had just thought she looked to splendid to waste it for after dusk alone.

The large woman stepped into her room with the grace and silence of a cat. Anyone whose seen a cat will know, no matter their size, they always seem light on their feet. Something about the soft pads that cushion their feet. Polm wondered if under that enormous dress she might had paws herself, and whether or not they hid claws as was often the case of the rich. The halfling was only going to go after the woman if Thyle went first, so he stood stalwartly by watching the half-giant for clues. "I think we should... maybe she can help ya." His whispered his eyes gleaming all the while.

"If you aren't coming in boys, the least you can do is shut the door, even if you were raised in a barn, you can learn better than to leave a lady waiting." She glanced over her shoulder at them, a coy look on her face.

The room was beautiful, and that was the simplest way to put it. It was decorated within an inch of it's life, and it showed that the woman had paid a high price to stay in the best of the best. The wall paper, no, it wasn't wallpaper, the hand painted walls, were finely done floral sprays that came down among stripes to make the quarters seem taller. Simple white couches in the sitting room were adorned with pillows as fanciful as could be imagined with ribbobs and embroidery and crocheting. A table in white had a cloth over it of green, upon which was a silver tea set ready for the next hot brew. There were a few chairs, as well as a fabulous desk with inlaid woods from who knew where. Some of it sparkled, at the corners, where abalone shell had been incorperated with the wood. A few sconces lit the room, and Miss Molly Brown had been graced with a wide spray of windows that looked out across nothing but dark ocean and blue skies dotted with puffy white clouds. "Welcome boys, make yerselves at home."

Post by Guest »

‘I thought she'd put up more of a fight.’

Thyle had been listening with some resignation as Molly Brown turned out to be somewhat more perceptive than he had imagined, but as she uttered those words; ‘…she’d put up more of a fight…’ it was as if someone had lit a small flame inside him that spread a tingling warmth through his chest, right down to his fingertips. The young half giant clenched his hands as the warmth grew into a full-grown feeling of joy, and he smiled instinctively.

His eyes where drawn to Miss Brown’s appearance. She appeared to be wearing an evening gown of some… elaboration, and he couldn’t help but allow his gaze to travel over her body, noting subconsciously the confidence with which she held herself, and the boldness of the dress itself. The half-giant’s eyes came to rest specifically somewhere between the waist of the gown and the neck, where perhaps a little more was being shown than common etiquette allowed at this time of day… Thyle blinked, hard, and raised his eyes to listen to Molly without distraction.

‘Thank you,’ There seemed to be nothing else to say, and Thyle stepped forward into the room, nodding at Polm in agreement before stopping just inside the doorway, his jaw on the verge of dropping at the sight of such an elaborate and richly furnished room.

‘By Uphuron…’ he whispered. Never had he seen such wealth demonstrated in such a small space. The thought gave him a sharp reminder of the dangerous situation he and Polm could fall into, even now, but he swallowed any comments back down. They were in too far: the only way out was forward.

‘Miss Brown. What a beautiful room,’ he said with sincerity, noting the elaborate cushions, the walls, the table, the chairs. The nobility definitely knew how to show off.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh honey, you haven't seen anything yet! I guess you couldn't have gotten into Houstian's room, eh?" Molly Brown replied with a chortle as she motioned to the cushioned couches and offered the two young men a place to sit. "C'mon now, sit down." Polm moved hesitantly at first, but soon found his short legs over at the edge of one of the illustrious pieces of furniture. He hefted himself up onto it and offered the woman a quick smile. "You sure are a quiet little thing." Her brows raised a bit, as if she expected him to give her a sharp reply about being quiet, or small, but he did neither. This intrigued Molly much.

The woman, in all honesty, was always on the lookout for a great story. Cinderella stories were the best, and in Thyle she saw the makings of a great one. "You know, Thyle, I have to say, you look about the right size as my nephew, and if you don't mind my saying it Polm Perriwinkle," she addressed him with his full name, since he had been introduced with it, and he hadn't said to be called by his first name as the two others had.

Here, he finally spoke: "Just Polm is fine." He gave his best smile, halflings were known for their good temperment, and it showed in their grins. It seemed they had round faces made just for it. His eyes sparkled with blue clarity like the sky they could see out the window.

"Just Polm it is then! Well, Polm, if you don't mind my saying it, you look as if you also might be around the size of a family member of mine, but I must admit. He's a youngster. I wouldn't want to offend you."

"No offense taken, ma`am." He offered quickly.

The woman continued. "The reason I bring this up, is that as I'm heading into the Western Terra, I've brought presents for nearly all of my family there, part of which is the fashion of the Citadel. I've got almost an entire shop's worth of clothing tucked away." The buxom woman grinned. "Perhaps the two of you might be interested in a change of clothes for dinner tonight? As my guests of course."

Post by Guest »

Thyle had been examining the fabulous desk with inlaid woods as Polm and Molly were conversing, bent so that his nose was almost touching the shining surface of the desktop, his eyes wide with youthful wonder.

‘Amazing craftsmanship,’ he muttered to himself, shaking his head at the thought of the amount of time it must have taken for just the top to be made.

Having been brought up to appreciate good handmade work when he saw it, Thyle felt some regret that his father was not there with him. Although the elder Mr Hwendian had not been a worker of woods himself, he understood the intricacies of working any material into a desired shape, having himself at times worked the complicated design of a sword hilt for a client with a particular need.

Lost in his own far away thoughts, Thyle did not realise he was being addressed until several moments after Molly had spoken. He straightened abruptly, staring at their host with mild disbelief. After a flicker he seemed to regain the mastery of his face and his wide soft mouth split into a charming smile,

‘Thank you kindly Miss Brown,’ he said, bowing instinctively, ‘Polm and I would be honoured to accompany you as your guests tonight.’ He glanced at Polm quickly. He had assumed that the halfling would accept the invitation as he had, but, remembering the events earlier on with Lord Houstian and Lady Riana – a familiar shiver ran through his spine at her name – he was unsure whether he had been too hasty to except the offer.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh, it's no problem, I assure you." She grinned possitively beamingly. Molly was having a good amount of fun with this idea. Sometimes, just sometimes, she played around a little bit to live up to her well known personality. Most of the time though, she just did things that the nobles disapproved of. For sure, this would be one of those things.

Polm looked at Thyle and sighed. "Alright. Yes, thank you Molly Brown. I'd like to see these clothes before I really decide to join in though. Can't have me parading about in something ridiculous."

Molly laughed uproariously. "Sugar, if it wasn't ridiculous, it wouldn't be the Citadel's fashion!" She lifted her buxom form from the soft sofa and moved over to a small rope which she tugged upon. In the matter of flickers a knock came to the door. "Yes, come on in Esquire." Molly winked at the boys.

A tall and very lean man slipped in through Miss Brown's door. Infact, he was so tall he appeared to unfold himself as he stepped through and became upright again. He was easily as tall as Thyle, but nothing in his bone structure would betray him of being of giant-decent. Infact, he was thin and had a very slight way about him that was graceful. It seemed as if he didn't make a single sound as he drifted across the carpetted floor. "Madam." His skin was extremely pale, and his hair was flaxen. The blonde would've hung past his shoulders had he not tied it back in an elaborate braid pulling it from around his face, creating the appearance of very little hair until he bowed to the woman and the braid snaked over his shoulder. A feather clung within it in a greyish tone.

"Esquire, I need you to go into the trucks and find an outfit fitting enough for Master Thyle Hwendian and Polm Perriwinkle to join me at dinner tonight. I suggest Jackob's jacket and Perry's breeches for Thyle, and I believe anything of Marcus' should do for Polm here." She gave a warm smile to the servant and he nodded.

"Yes, madam." He bowed again and then walked past them, toward a side door. Retrieving a key from somewhere on his person he unlocked it, and folded himself before leaving their presence again.

"Man of little words, I enjoy that in a servant." Molly said and smiled. "How about you come back before eveningtide begins, and I'll make sure you're both ready, alright?" She motioned her hand for them both to stand up once again. Polm slid off the chair, his feet thudding a bit as he landed. "I'll see you then."

"Thank you very much, Miss Brown." Polm said as he started to move toward the door, hoping Thyle would keep up.

Post by Guest »

ooc: Eep! I keep missing this thread! Sorry for my lateness! :D

ic: A tiny fire was burning in Thyle stomach, the fire of anticipation and excitement. Instinctively (and here he hoped he wasn't crossing the lines of etiquette), the young half giant rose from his seat and quickly crossed the room towards Molly. He stopped in front of her, bowing deeply, a spark of amusement in his eyes,

'Thank you for you kindness, Miss Brown,' And, with a ridiculous amount of charm, Thyle reached towards Molly and took her hand, bringing it up to his mouth. He brushed her knuckles softly with his lips and straightened,

'I look forward to this evening.' With a heart warming smile, he turned and followed Polm out, stooping gracefully through the door.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Sorry it's not lively enough for you.. let's see if I can adjust that.

IC:

Molly grinned as wide as her face would allow as the half-giant stooped down to grace her with a kiss. "Have a good afternoon, Thyle. Stay safe." She smiled at Polm. "And keep in good health, Polm." She paused. "And maybe you both ought to find somewhere to bathe?.." The woman winked, and then her doorman shut the door behind them.

Outside in the hallway the halfling gave an enourmous sigh considering his sigh. "Mother of the sea, what have we gotten ourselves into?" He started walking down the hallway. "I know of a bath house on this ship, we should have no trouble getting in there if we could manage to get into a noblewoman's private quarters!" He shook his head, but he smiled. It was an adventure, and halflings were known for enjoying a good adventure.

OOC: I've started you a new thread for the evening.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”