Home is where the Heart is -Scatha, Barrett [Sam 26 ET]

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Home is where the Heart is -Scatha, Barrett [Sam 26 ET]

Post by Maeve »

It was already past sundown when they moved through the palace quietely. Nobody seemed to pay attention to them. The guards were all straightfaced, staring ahead without following eyes. There was just their little guide from before, appearing once again as an impish little girl, dancing before them as they made their way to the deepest heart of the building.. the treasury itself, which apart from the wealth of the royal family contained the portal they knew would end up in the Citadel.

"I shall be sad to see you go," Nevamaier pouted, "it was nice to have something to interrupt the boredom over here. Everything is so regimented, every day the same. Ionis tries, the dear, but I'm still bored."
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha grinned at Nevamaier. She knew now that the child-image and affectations were a disguise for something far more sinister, something that wasn't alive and yet not-quite-dead... but she couldn't help but like her. "I shall miss you too," she said. "And I am sorry for being rude to you earlier. It is just that I have never met a ghost before, at least not outside of stories. And you seem very... solid, for a ghost."

As they descended into the depths of the palace, Scatha took a mental inevntory of what she was carrying. She'd changed back into her blouse - freshly washed and cleaned - and the slightly too-tight, rather indecent leather trousers with the ties down the outside of each leg, along with her best boots. Tucked safely in one pocket was the Trothgardian crystal. The pouch with the knives she'd been given hung from her waist, along with the splendid coiled bullwhip she'd been provided with. The rest of the clothes the Rafao had given her were carefully folded in a knapsack slung over one shoulder. She'd left her hair down, but tied in a untidy pony-tail to allow her to wear the wide-brimmed sun-hat at a rakish angle.

There was one other thing in the knapsack; the gorgeous gold and emerald tiara she'd found in the treasury, which was the prettiest thing she'd ever seen. Scatha secretly coveted it, but was wise enough to realise that the craftsman who had spent so many days on it hadn't meant it to be worn by a scruffy farmgirl from Dort. "Nevamaier, it was very kind of you to say that I could keep the tiara," she said quietly, "but it belongs to the Rafao, and I don't remember him saying I could have it. And if I did take it, it would be stealing. So I think you should put it back." She fished in the knapsack, carefully extracted the tiara, and held it out to the child-ghost. "It's very pretty, though," she said sadly. "Just like you..."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

ah

Post by Brytan »

Nevameier turned and hopped around Scatha as she spoke. She smiled when Scatha called her a ghost. "You seem very solid for a human too." She giggled and slipped a cheaky pinch of her thigh, as if to imply she was chubby. Considering the tight leather pants she was wearing Scatha could tell she was teasing her.

As Scatha took out the tiara and wished to return it, Nevameier halted a second and looked at Scatha with big googly eyes. It was hard to tell wether she was surprised, sad or offended, but she took the tiara from Scatha and looked at it intensely for a moment, standing right in front of the both of them. "Pretty things should be worn by pretty people." She spoke, as if stating a solid argument. "You are pretty, you should have it." Nevameier handed the tiara back to Scatha. "It was made for someone who was just as pretty as you, who was just like you." She repeated, as she urged the tiara into Scatha's hands. "It will look proper."

And that was that, she turned around and started walking again, leading the two back to the treasury, it's doors already visible at the end of the corridor.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett walked, his mind clearly not intent upon his surroundings. He was trying to reconcile his experiences here in the desert with the overall pattern of events transpiring in the world. Always seeking to uncover more of the vast changing pattern of Tazlure. He also had changed back into his Citadel clothing, as he did not want to advertise where the pair had been spending the past few days. Not without some input from the Furst, anyway.

Idly he noted Scatha’s more sensible reaction to the Guardian.
That is promising. Quite a change from her rather squeamish reaction that first day in the meeting with Ionis. Of course, that’s nothing compared to the learning curve Erwin has planned...

Then the woman did something truly surprising by offering to return the spirit’s gift. Barrett tensed, holding his breath. Some spirits might be quite touchy about such disrespect... But then Scatha combined a compliment into the mix.

Relief caused him to exhale in surprise. Apparently Nevamaier knew Scatha’s nature quite well. Still... a lecture on the etiquette of formal gifts made its way unto Barrett’s list of “Lessons for Scatha.” And, the spirit’s words brought another ploy for educating his charge.

“Perhaps, Nevamaier, you would be so kind as to give Scatha a few clues as to the origin of the tiara? I can help her look them up - and perhaps our studies will bring us back here for a visit. For I would enjoy spending some time with you again - as an eager pupil.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was delighted; "For me? To KEEP?? Oh my..." She clutched the tiara to her ample chest, realised she might squash it out of shape, and then hurriedly tucked it back into her knapsack before catching Barrett and Nevamaier back up. "And thank you for saying I'm pretty," she said breathlessly. Scatha was not used to presnt or compliments, and getting both in the same day was quite overwhelming. You wait till Daisy Applebottom sees it! Ha! She will go greener than a green thing from green land... "You said it was made for someone just like me," she said excitedly. "Was it made for another farm girl from Dort that got given a tiara of gold and emeralds?" It sounded like a splendid story, and Scatha was always interested in splendid stories, just as long as the other farm girl from Dort wasn't Daisy Applebottom...

Brytan

smiles

Post by Brytan »

Nevameier smiled again as Scatha embrased the tiara and decided to keep it after all. In response to Barrett's question she giggled. "I like you too, you're much more fun than these boring guards." She said as they walked past two more stern looking guards, both on opposite sides of the corridor, almost hidden from sight Barrett and Scatha hadn't noticed them earlier.

She then turned back to Scatha as they walked to the doors seperating them from the treasury. The tiling in the floor changed here to match the ornate carvings in the doorway and she started hopping from tile to tile, not missing a beat of the conversation.
"The tiara? Ionis' dad had it brought in from somewhere as a gift for one of his wives. Ofcourse she wore it once then had it placed in the treasury, spoiled wench she was." She skipped a tile and hopped on. She spoke now as if she was really annoyed with how that particular scene had played out in the past. "He was right proud of it too, said it was Teryliune's Masterpiece." She finished her hopping and walked on normally. "It will look nice on you."
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"You think so?" On her own, in her room, Scatha had secretly tried the tiara on, and decided that it suited her, but it was always gratifying to hear someone else say so. WIthout even knowing she was doing it, Scatha started to follow Nevameier, skipping from stone to stone has the sand-ghost did. "Teryliune... that's an odd name. Who was he?"

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The guardian's change of gait seemed unusual enough to make Barrett think there might be a reason for it. Was there a different pattern to the floor than the last time they had come this way? He touched into the Aether perception for a moment to see if there was some magick at work.

Then again, the Rafaos have had access to excellent engineers and magick need not be a requirement for clever traps. Perhaps they've added a few protections since we just wandered out from the treasury...

He noted the spirit's pattern and followed it precisely. Even if he was wrong in his suspicion, there was no harm in obliging her whim.

"One of the Rafao's wives... Would this be something that Isis might recognize then?"
It seemed not unreasonable to suspect that Nevamaier might have some mischief in mind regarding Ionis's sister, based upon her previous mention of Isis.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha glanced over her shoulder at Barrett; "And here's me thinking you were far too grown up for a game of Hop Skip! But I think you're supposed to hop a bit more, rather than just step from stone to stone, otherwise it would be Step Skip. Mind you, none of us skipping very much either, so I suppose it doesn't matter." She leant forward, and poked Nevameier gently in the back. "Tag. You're it."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brytan

the spirit

Post by Brytan »

As Barrett tried to get a sense of his surroundings in the Aether he could not detect any malevolent presence or change had occured as opposed to his earlier recollections of being in this space. The Aether felt free from any magickal tinkering been done here. "Teryliune? I'm not sure, I don't go out much. But from what I heard he's some bigshot jeweler from another island, or was anyway. It was a while ago."

Nevameier had finished her hopping and turned halfway around watching her two companions hop in her footsteps. She giggled at Barrett's attempt at the game and clapped as both Scatha and Barrett finished their hopping.
She giggled again at Barrett when he asked his question concerning the tiara. "Nonono mister clever, not Ionis, Ionis' father. I don't think she ever touched the thing."

As they landed on the other end of the stone floor near the doorway to the treasury, the large doors swung open without making a single sound, revealing the vast wealth which was collected within. Beyond the doors the sounds of an active portal could already be heard. Word was most likely sent ahead. Two guards poised by the swirling vortex of light, along with several other robed figures, who were monitoring the portal's workings. When Scatha tagged Nevameier she turned and said "Ooh, a final game before you go? But nah, you'd never catch me." She ran ahead into the treasury, and was engulfed in bright beams of light as the portal stood there before them. As her form dissolved in the bright beams they could hear her voice in their heads resound; "Be sure to come visit, it's been swell!"

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha gazed into the glimmering light of the portal; it was impossible to pick out Nevameier in the rays. "It's been lovely meeting you, too," she called out. "Perhaps we shall meet again... I'd like that." She turned to Barrett; "Shall we?" Taking a deep breath, Scatha closed her eyes, and walked into the portal...

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett did almost stumble in the hopping game. Not because of any physical awkwardness, but from the distraction of the familiar energies. The Pattern of the portal beyond. He could tell it was already activated. As they neared it, the matrix of energy and the calculations carried over from his previous portal experiences held sway over the forefront of his mind. He reached out to read the pattern, looking for the familiar signature of Erwin’s portal on the other end.

“Wait - Sca-!”
Well, now who’s plunging ahead heedlessly?

He took a few flickers to make mental notes on this particular portal signature - makeshift though they were. Sending a final mental “Thank you” to Nevamaier, he followed Scatha... stepping very carefully to avoid a repeat of the tumble they had taken coming into this chamber.
Brytan

bye bye

Post by Brytan »

As Barrett tried to sense the energy of the portal he could not readily determine if it was in fact the one they were required to take, even though the men around it nodded to him as they saw his first reluctance to enter.

The energy signature of the portal seemed familiar enough though, and with Erwin's influence in these matters one might only assume at this point that no foul play was at work. Had it been the fact, there still would not have been a lot Barrett could have done since Scatha already stepped forward into the bright vortex.

As Barrett did the same he could sense Nevameier seeing them off from somewhere in the room. As they both passed through the bright pool, knowing a bit better what to expect as their material cohesion was questionable for ever so little a time. It felt longer though. Barrett knew their arrival on the other end would seem almost instant, now to find out if they would indeed find Erwin on the other end, waiting for them in the Temple of Pecunia?

OOC: You will in fact be moving to the Citadel through this gateway :) I'll let Grant know you crossed over so he can catch you on the other side. We'll still be wrapping up the Walkabout thread together on this end to see what comes of that venture.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”