Rylas and Guen: Poison & Herbs in the Kitchen

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Rylas and Guen: Poison & Herbs in the Kitchen

Post by Maeve »

OOC: private training thread for Rylas and Guen, taking place in the interim between the two Gem Quest threads

IC: It was Rylas' turn that night to help in the galley with the prepration of dinner. He was set to the tedious task of skilling carrots. Guen sat nearby shredding cabbage.

The cook was a round bellied halfling with rosey cheeks called Warpel Barefoot. He seemed quite out of place on this pirate's ship. He was chopping salted meat with a large knife with a certain relish as he casually mentioned "Hand me the sage lad. The fertility of women on board do not need to be enhanced, but the captain takes a liking to its taste nonetheless."
Last edited by Maeve on Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Cabbage. Why does it always have to be cabbage? Guenhwyfar eyed the heads of cabbage warily before setting to work. She was far from domestic, and was neither good at cooking or patient enough for most household tasks.

Through a combination of pent-up energy and a desire to be done with the loathesome edible shrubbery, she shredded the leaves with impressive vigor, wrinkling her nose slightly as the distinctive acrid scent of cabbage filled the small galley.

At the halfling's comment about sage and its usage, she laughed derisively, although it was unclear whether the derision was directed towards the concept of the fertility of the women or the taste preferences of the captain.

Post by Guest »

Rylas furrowed his eyebrows when he was made aware of the fact he would be working in the kitchen. Indeed, it was one of the last places he ever pictured himself.

To the surprise of noone, Rylas worked silently. He didn't seem to be particularly enjoying himself, but he didn't dislike the work either. Sometimes comfort could be found in the routine of a mechanical task. Though sometimes he accidentally rendered a carrot into two pieces, it went fairly quickly.

Rylas looked over the materials present when the cook asked for sage. But, unless they were labelled, Rylas couldn't tell which one was the sage, and he voiced this difficulty to the cook. As an afterthougght, he added, "Fertility?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"Tis those silver grey leaves, with the velvet touch" Warple pointed out, and when Rylas handed them to him he took several branches and chopped them quickly into long shreds, adding them to the meat. "Aye, fertility," he said with a chuckle, "or so old herbal women will tell you. I cannot vouch for it. What I can tell you is that it is so dominant that it can disguise bitter and strange tastes. Such as rotting meat, or something more lethal."

The cook arched an eyebrow "Have you ever considered the true meaning of some of the kitchen herbs?"
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylas raised an eyebrow at the cook's comment about hiding flavors, and his mind locked it away for future reference.

"The true meaning?" Rylas repeated. "I have a basic knowledge of such things that one might want to hide with sage, but as far as kitchen herbs go, I am no scholar."

Rylas picked up with his carrots once more, and cast an eye over the remaining herbs in the kitchen. "I take it you know a thing or two?"
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

At the mention of the less-orthodox uses for sage, Guenhwyfar stopped scowling at her pile of cabbage for a moment and looked up at the cook. She shrugged, and said dryly with a teasing smile, "I'm less interested in the meaning, and more interested in the use. Never been one for theory, me."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Warpel laughed heartily at Guen's sally "Touche madam, touche. Well, there is meaning in herbs, each having a symbolic worth as well as a measure of improving health. My grandfather lectured me on it often enough. Enough to get you to sleep very fast."

He finished chopping and cleaned his hands on his apron "I must say that I always was more interested in the alternative uses of kitchen herbs and other herbs and potions. I served the Than for a few yahren and I guess that is where I picked up most of it."

The rosey halfling was enjoying talking so much that he continued while he put up a large copper kettle filled with water. "Now I ask you, what would be the most important thing to remember when you use something to uhm... set a person on the way to face judgement by the One?"

Post by Guest »

Rylas paused, halting with his carrot also. There was any number of factors to be considered when undertaking a sensitive dispatching. Deciding on the most important, he resumed both speech and skilling.

"I would say discretion," he stated. "It wouldn't do to be found out, especially if your target hadn't even sampled your cooking yet."
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Guenhwyfar nodded in agreement. Discretion, indeed. The cabbage ignored for the time being, she watched the halfling cook, trying to seem less interested than she was, to hear what he would say next.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Warpel nodded as he dispatched the chopped meat into the kettle with water. Tonight there would be stew, again. "Aye, that is the truth of it, descretion and stealth. So knowing how to hide the taste of poison is nearly as important. Makes no sense to give your victim an advance warning."

He pointed with his knife at the herbs that were nailed at the wooden beam "Rosemary is quite strong, as is the sage. Then there is garlic, "Warpel shot a quick grin "but if you use that with a heartfailure poison it will negate the effect you want it to have, so have a care."

The halfling cook grasped some of the vegetables to toss them into the kettel and noticed both Rylas and Guen had stopped doing their chore "Well, come on, chop, chop. This stew will not make it self."

As he turned he continued in length about the other kitchen herbs and how they could be used either to hide a taste or as an antidote. The cook liked to hear himself talk.

Then he arched an eyebrow "So, are you up to a challenge?" The eyes of Warpel twinkled as he withdrew a little wrapped package. "This is a sleeping powder with a rather pugnant taste, and an odd bluish coloring to it as well. Now pick a crewmember that you are going to doze off tonight, without effecting the rest of the crew." The halfling laughed, quite amused about his own little prank.

Post by Guest »

Rylas mulled over the prospects in his mind, finding the idea quite entertaining.

After deliberating for a few moments, Rylas decided on someone he found the idea of drugging most amusing. With a smirk implanted deeply in his features, he looked to the cook. "Well, alright, what do we do once we've decided who we wish to play with?"
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Oh, the possibilities, Guen thought to herself as she thought of her lovely crewmates, a goodly portion of whom she would gladly knock out for a few hours. She glanced over at Rylas, trying to glean whom he would pick.

She looked back at the halfling, and then, with a suppressed sigh, moved to pick up the horrid cabbage agan, shredding it half-heartedly. "Yes, what should we do now? And should we each pick someone separate, or should we do this together?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"Seperately," Warpel decided, rubbing his chin, "It will be easy to check the bets, for the bluish color will leave a mark on the tongue of the affected person. To make this interesting whoever manages to topple his victim first will receive an extra package of this interesting powder to play with at will." He flashed a grin "It will keep the crew on their toes as well. They are lazying about, forgetting the dangers of being among cutthroats and thieves. The Than will gladly berate who ever ends up with a blueish tongue."

He gave them both a meaningful look "Now I know what you are thinking, and in order to prevent you two doing anything funny with the other persons victim, I want you to whisper your intended subject in my ear only."
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Guenhwyfar arched an eyebrow, considering. "This powder," she said, with deliberate casualness, fingers busy with the cabbage. "How long after ingestion does it take effect?"

Post by Guest »

Rylas nodded at Guenhwyfar's question, and piped in another addition, "Yes, and how will the amount of powder we put in affect the outcome? Is it dangerous to put too much in, or simply over-potent?"
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

ooc- Sorry for the delay, but I am stepping in from now on. Hi again, Guen. :) Be gentle with me as this is not my forte'.

ic- Warpel worked on the stew as they asked their questions. He grinned to both of them as if glad they had asked.

"Well those are good questions to be asking. The amount you place in there will be of affect. The more you use, then the more potent the mixture and the quicker the result. You msut be careful of how much you put in there as it becames harder to hide the more that is in there and if enough is added to the stew, it can became fatal. A big enough dose and a victim would be knocked comatose or killed out right." Warpel said sternly. "You only need a half spoonful to get your desired result. A dose that size should have your victim knocked within thirty or forty burns. Have you decided on your victims or do you still have questions?"
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

ooc: welcome, vanir... *laughs evilly*

Guenhwyfar listened to the halfling, nodding thoughtfully as he described the attributes of the poison. A slow smile spread across her face as he asked if they had picked their targets yet. "I think I'm all set," she said, the smile broadening slightly. She had some scores to settle...

Post by Guest »

Rylas nodded matter-of-factly. "That's all I need to know."

Rylas put his hand on his chin and pondered as to the best way of going about it, as well as exactly who to go about it on. He figured on being discriminate, not wanting to make any important enemies by accident. This was just an exercise, after all...
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Warpel grabbed a few chopped vegetables to toss in the stew as he looked over his new students. He stirred the stew, while they pondered their victims. "Well if you have both chosen, then we shall get started. You will have to decide what methods you will use to slip your victim the poison, but make sure not to get caught. I am sure no one here would take it lightly, if they caught you. Now tell me your victims and decide your course of action." The halfling said directly.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Post by Guest »

"Well, this is only for practice," Rylas repeated. "There's one young freckled fellow on board, goes by Will.

"Heh, in fact, I daresay even if he did find out, he doesn't have enough clout on board here for anything to come of it."

Rylas looked around the kitchen. "When meals are prepared, are drinks and everything already set, or does the crew serve themselves?"
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

ooc- Guen said she would catch up later. It will be assumed she has already whispered her victim to Warpel.

ic- Guen whispered her victim into the ear of the halfling, keeping it a secret. Warpel smiled at the choices made. He nodded his head understandingly. "Yes, yes. A good choice for a first victim. It will not be a simple task though. When the meal is ready it is set in the mess hall, they then go through the serving line where we will give them their dinner. Drinks are then brought to each person as they get seated. You will need to find somewhere in that routine to slip in the poison to him. Make sure you get the right person though."

Return to “On the Water Archive”