Forging a New Beginning - Rylie - SH 27th

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Forging a New Beginning - Rylie - SH 27th

Post by Vanadius »

Old Nyk was right, the Forge was a easy place to find. A thin stream of blue-grey smoke carried off into the sky and the ringing of a hammer and an anvil could be heard long before one got close.

It was a simple, spartan place. A low fence surrounded an open, outdoor area where there were several anvils and work benches. An open pit with a large fire provided the source of the smoke. A few round pots hung near the flames on pegs and grills, each boiled and bubbled with some vague, unknown liquid. A patio with a low, overhanging roof connected to a squat, stone building was either the Forge's storefront, or the smith's home. It was impossible to tell from outside.

Iron John himself was also rather easy to find. He was short, thick man dressed in leggings and boots. He was bald as a robin's egg and shirtless above the waist, but wore a leather apron that covered his chest and was soot stained from head to toe. The powerful muscles of his arms and upper body worked as he worked a glowing piece of metal into a rough diamond shape. His hammer beat against the malleable iron as he shaped it, the ringing of the hammer a staccato rhythm as he worked.

Another young man sat on a stool nearby, sorting old pieces of ruined or broken metal from a basket. Neither seemed very interested in Rylie's approach and both continued to work.
Rylie

Post by Rylie »

It was unusual to see Rylie in "light" apparel. No cloak, no bulky bags. Just his breeches, his shirt, scarf, boots, bracers and a small satchel dangling by his waist, containing a hunk of cheese and half a loaf of bread: his lunch. Brown hair flaring and his slim physique warm and ready for a good day's worth of work.

But first, he had to go through Market Street and find the Smithy!

Nothing much has changed since the last time he troddd down the cobblestone path of Market Street. Through the intense babbling of customers haggling and merchants offering, you could still smell the sweet bread of the bakeries, the freshly plucked flowers, the aromatic spices, perfumes and cleaved meat.. not to mention the nearby apothecaries and the smell of fresh fish. As he walked onward, his ears caught swift to the melodic ringing of hammer and steel. It was about 30 yards away, and he did happen to come by the press-hewn smoke emanating from its chimneys.

He drew his belt a bit higher and marched casually to the Forge.

As he came nearer, the ringing became louder and louder, until Rylie found himself in front of the stout and hardy Iron John. Heavily hammering on a piece of red-hot steel, it seemed that Iron John hardly paid any notice to young Rylie as he approached.

With a bit of a smile, Rylie greeted the man "Good day Iron John, Old Nyk told me that you'd be needing help in your work~ If I may, sir, I would be much obliged to fill that slot in, and be your apprentice~"

A stiff grin, and a ruffled brow... Rylie wondered if he said the right thing... and quickly regretted how stupid he must have sounded.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Iron John had been a smith for a score of yahren. He'd seen many things in his days here at the Forge. Lords and ladies of all types had paid him for his work, asked him for favors and ordered him about. He dealt with all of them in the exact same fashion as he dealt with this newcomer, with a kind of distant and aloof politeness that spoke of a man that was neither easily swayed, or easily impressed.

He set down his hammer and removed his heavy, blackened gloves. He tossed them casually down on the table as he waited for a large ingot of iron to melt down for his next pieces, and the current piece to cool.

"No offense boy. That...-" He said pointing to the other lad at the table ".-..is my apprentice. You are talking about a open job as bellows boy. Those are two things that are quite different. Besides, Nyk is a crazy old bastard that likes to hear himself talk with stories of the old days and fill the heads of the young with his strange tales."

The smith and the apprentice both gave Rylie an appraising look.

"Now then, let's hear about you. What is your name, son? I need to know more about you if I'm going to hire you out."
Rylie

Post by Rylie »

((I think my newly acquired skill "Persuasion" can help with this n.n))

Rylie knocked his heels. Well, that was quite embarassing~ Here he was, venturing out to find his chosen profession, and trapping himself in a situation that he won't even be an apprentice~ He'd better talk to Nyk once he gets back to the duck... Well, no matter. Rylie needed to make a good impression~

He took smiled at the stern smith and took a bow.

"My name is Rylie Trisfal, kind sir. I'm a merchant by the heel, as my father being a mentor. He often traded past here until he left for the heavens during a barbarian raid. I'm just trying to continue his work, but trying my best to find a good enough position here in Dort to do so~" He breathed...

He rapped his feet... trying to find the right words.

"I'm pretty good with machines too, sir. My parents taught me the rudiments of machinery, and have a knack for building things with my hands~" He smiled, trying to brighten up his resume.

"Oh, and I think I'm pretty good enough for billows~ I do know how to pump, and can work for a good enough pence... To be honest, I just need enough money to lodge... I can get by with what people teach me rather than extra money." he said quite politely...

True enough, Rylie didn't really know the true value of a crown. All he had to do was keep learning on how to gain some to survive, and learn of what he can... After all, he wasn't a merchant just yet... and his mother DID say

"What you learn is stronger than any arrow you throw."
Last edited by Rylie on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Being a bellows boy is more than just pumping the bellows and standing about daydreaming. There is real work to be done, and if you do it, I'll pay enough for your lodgings, or you can stay here for free."

"Now then, if you're interested, you'll be working for two Lance a week, and that's enough to buy your way like you want. There's lots to do, running the shop, sweeping, organizing, buying supplies, errands for me and Thad here. You'll be spending equal time here and out on the streets doing business for me. Are you familiar with the streets and the layout of the city?"

"If you want, we can try it out for a week. You can see if it's something you want to continue with, and I can evaluate you. If we're both happy, and we both want to continue, the job is yours. Sound like a square deal?"
Rylie

Post by Rylie »

Rylie nodded and smiled. Being a bellow's boy would be nice, even a bit intriguing for Rylie. Who knows what may happen, but it would be a good shot to just try for a while.

He had hoped things would have gone better, but then again, he was jsut starting his job... and he had to admit, he was getting somewhere at least. He could do honest work: without the needs of running around Market Street and picking pockets just to get enough scrounge to live a day. Not to mention, it gave Rylie something to do, and something to hope for.

"Two Lances are more than enough, and the work sounds extremely good... when do I start?" he said confidently, tightening his pants.
Last edited by Rylie on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Anxious lad...

"You can start right now if you wish. There are some bags that need picked up at the docks in Watertown. Look for the 'Three Witches' Pier, and ask for Nassor. Nassor is expecting Thad, but you will need to get acquainted with him as you'll be picking up things regularly from him from now on. You tell him you work for me now and that you'll be picking up the shipments going forward. Get the shipment back here today, and I'll teach you how to drive a wagon. Some of the things we get 'round here are mighty heavy, and your two feet won't be enough to get them back home."

"Now, we need to settle on where you'll be staying. As I said, you can stay here free of charge if you want. Get yourself settled wherever you want. Take a look around inside the shop, and get familiar with your surroundings. A bit later you can set off for Watertown."
Rylie

Post by Rylie »

Rylie nodded in agreement, and shifted his weight to one leg. He took a good discerning look at the smithy.

He held a nice smile to Thad. Well, at least I wouldn't be alone in learning! he thought, taking out a hand.

"Hi Thad, my name is Rylie~ Guess I'm going to be helping you for a good while." He smiled politely, hoping to catch Thad's good mood.

With that he took a good glance around the smithy.

It was quit homey, really, with the furnace blaring out the hot flames, and the neat pile of coal next to it... the long water troughs and strange weaponry Rylie had never seen before, hanging just by the walls. A stack of ore just by the the anvil, that large piece of steel that did look intimidating. Hammers of all sizes were set in toolboxes just next to anvil. It was a testament to the sheer strength of iron and steel. Rylie was a bit astounded by how the iron gleamed and how heavy it looked... it was quite strange, he never did see pure ore before.

He smiled at the two and mumbled "It'd be wonderful if I stayed here. Would give me more time to study on this." he heaved the ore a bit, it was lighter than he expected. He set the ore down and gave a quick breath.

"Well, I should get going then. I'll go tell Mr. Armistrice that I'll be staying here for a while, and get my bags... err, do I have a room?" he asked a bit oddly, wondering if he'd just be sleeping on a bed of hay by the furnace, just waiting to catch fire~ o.o;;

"In any case, I should get going then, right? The Three Witches Pier, ask for Nassor and some bags I should get here. Shouldn't be too hard... though, I shouldn't expect the best, now should I?" He smiled. His first task, afterall, what good boy wouldn't be so enthusiastic?
Last edited by Rylie on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The docks of Watertown were a chaotic jumble of alleys and cobblestoned avenues all leading to and from the wharfs and piers. The docks were the lifeblood of Dort and Watertown sprang up around them with all manner of offices, warehouses and inns to support the hustle and bustle that was everpresent in this part of the city.

There were more sights and sounds than Rylie could clearly make out. Booths and tents selling all manner of trinkets and goods, a man juggled burning torches and there were three men singing together on one corner. The merchants paid them little attention, but the tourists threw coins at their feet. There was a momentary moment of panic and fright as once he was shoved out of the way by a squad of gold clad soldiers. They had not meant to be so rough with the boy, and one helped him to his feet after a dozen mounted soldiers thundered past. When all seemed well, the soldiers went on their way through the streets. It was a bazaar of aroma smells as well. Cooking foul and fish, smoked meats mixed with the salt and sea. Spices and bubbling pots of unknown liquids were everywhere. It bordered on the overwhelming.

When he reached the piers there was a great deal of activity at a pier with a painted sign of a glass of red wine. A flurry of men fanned out all over the pier as they readied it for the arrival of a ship. A few piers down, past ones with signs of a black dog, a white tree and glowing lantern he finally found one with the sign of three witches standing around a huge cauldron. The pier jutted out into the water and looked older than Dort itself. Barnacles grew around its supports and it was weather stained into a hundred shades of grey and white. The pier was attached to a wide, one story warehouse and a large wagon with a team of four horses stood at the ready as men were unloading it. A boy sat eating an apple with one hand on the reins to steady them as a team of men worked inside.
Rylie

Post by Rylie »

"That's a lot of fish!" Rylie thought as he passed a boat-load of marine cargo.

He had never so much fresh wares before~ Every single warehouse seemed to teem with something special, and a lot of it! His father once went to the piers, and Rylie began to understand why his father kept smiling whenever he went. Nobody ever thought that so much stuff could be stored in such a harbor, but then again, Dort's Watertown IS one of the biggest merchant-holmes of all Tazlure.

He mingled with the crowd of incoming and outgoing people, all carrying their wares to other ports or into the market. It was interesting to see the raw goods being hauled off in carts, and the port-folk weaving in and out of the crates of merchandise. Boats, caravels and sail after sail of merchant fleet flagged over the horizon, the smell fo the salty sea...

If only Rylie had enough time to look around, but he was there for business. He had to find the Three Witches Pier, which was quite easy enough: there was a sign, and Rylie didn't need to know how to read to guess which one is the Three Witches, and thus he began to trot towards it.

Then it hit him: Rylie didn't know how to read or write! Goodness, Rylie hoped if ever Nassor wanted him to fill out any forms, he wouldn't have to read anything... His confidence suddenly flew out the window, as he slackened his pace to a walk. As he came close, a boy on top of a large carraige snacking on a piece of fruit noticed him.

"Hello, I'm looking for Nassor." Rylie said quite politely. "I'm Rylie, and I work for Iron John. I'm supposed to pick up a few bags for him." he smiled.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The boy gave Rylie a blank stare and then pointed inside. Around the team of horses and the carriage that was being unloaded was a large open area where the cargo was being stacked and organized. Near a wall closest to the sea was a squat desk with dozens of scrolls piled at odd angles on it. An old green sea chair sat next to it and in the chair sat a white haired man currently writing something out on one of the scrolls. He dipped his quill into his inkpot and began a a fresh line of written words as Rylie came nearer.

"Be with you shortly..." he said absently, not looking up until he was finished. He poured fine sand on the wet ink and shook it off to dry. A regal looking man with a pointed goatee in red finery walked over to him from where he'd been standing facing the sea. The man at the desk stood and turned to him.

"There you are sir. Paid in full and all accounted for. It's been a pleasure doing business with you."

The man in red sniffed and haughtily threw a coin at the lad holding the team. Wordlessly he turned to walk away and nearly bumped into Rylie. He managed to stop just short of colliding with the young man and took a step back to examine the boy. His eyes narrowed as he examined Rylie and then he brushed past the young man with a disgusted look on his face and he quickly hurried away.

"Hey... you there." The man at the desk was now speaking to Rylie directly. "Don't pay him any mind, Lord Mullendore is too rich to know what good, decent folk look like. His daughter is a right fine woman though. She's got a good head on her shoulders I'll say."

The man gave Rylie a cursory examination himself.

"Say... don't think I know you. Welcome to the Three Witches. What can I do for you?"

Return to “Dort Archive”