Wolf's bane ~ Samheen 26th

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

ooc
Dreams? Oh, do join the aether!

ic
At Galliban's shout the blue glow lit up the standing stone once more, very shortly. A childlike voice sounded: Now?

With the glow the voice disappeared again. Liliane looked up at Cyfrin, disturbed at the cumulation of strangeness around her. "The price? She just gave it to us and said that if it worked, we'd pay tribute to her. But we pray to Mother already, so that was hardly an unfair price! But she tricked us! This is not what we asked! He was supposed to be strong to take on apprenticeship with Voland!"

It was not the name of any known smith in the area.

The conversation went past Draydis, who focussed on the world instead of the people in it. The wind through the leaves. A fox trodding on dried nuts. Buzzing around the stones. The little pitter-patter of wet feet on bare stone.

Now? The stone glowed softly again.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Cyfrin Gwiwer

Post by Cyfrin Gwiwer »

/ooc
Aether? looked at it thought about it, but decided in the end - it wasn't for me.

IC.
Cyfrin stopped for a flicker at the sound, It went almost as soon as he had heard it, shook his head and looked at Galliban, "Did you hear that"?

Lilliane's reply interrupted his thoughts, "Voland? I cannot say I know of anyone called Voland, who are they, and where do they live"? He put a question once more to Galliban, (he could see Draydis was in his own thoughts at this time), "Do you know of this Voland".

Again he caught the sound, it appeared to be from the stone. He looked at it, then back at Lowen & Lilliane, then a glance at the stone, and spoke to all three.

"I think the stone and this voice, the blue glow, the spell that went wrong. All connected and all done for a purpose. Why change Lowen to a wolf?, Why have the others disappeared, the voice". He thought for a moment, "I have a theory, wild though it may be, perhaps this was all done to bring one or more of us here to this place and time, for some purpose I cannot fathom".
He looked at Lowen, "The only thing I have no doubt of is that it is of evil intent, and you are an important part of this".
He looked lowen squarely in the eyes, "You must control this beast Lowen, for I feel to allow the beat to control you, will aid this evil in what it wants. Concentrate on being Lowen, not a wolf".

Cyfrin gave a glance at Draydis, "I hope he finds what he is looking for soon, for I feel we have little time".
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray smiled...it was a wonderful feeling to be connected to the woods. He spread his arms out and continued to focus on the sounds. ~Yes...talk to me friends of the woods. There are things afoul here...tell me where you hurt...how I can help...let me know how I can serve you.~

The guardsman knew that the Mother could hear him regardless if his words were spoken or merely thought. Never before had he thought such an intense connection with the world around him would be possible...

"Lil Bud...where are you?", the words came out in a whisper...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban's eyes moved back to the stone. The voice was unfamiliar to her, and she was unsure of whether or not its presence was welcome.

How very curious.

She looked over at Cyfrin when he addressed her. The look in her eyes would tell him that she was somewhat distracted.

"No, I have never heard that name." she replied.

Galliban then looked back to Lowen and Lilliane. Though she was a very patient person, the fact that Lilliane did not seem to be listening was beginning to annoy her.

"Cyfrin is right. There is a purpose here. There must be. The Mother is not malevolent. I cannot believe that she would bring such harm to you so needlessly. If you give up hope, however, you have already been defeated." she said to the girl.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Syra

Post by Syra »

ooc
Argh, I did not get a notification!
Sorry all.

Ic
A whimper was what escaped Lowen's lips, there was no other description for it. In reply the girl hugged him closer, tears filling her eyes.

"Voland." She repeated. "He...he's not really a smith anymore. But he was willing to teach Lowen! He was going to make him his successor, he said. I wasn't supposed to be there, but I heard them through the window. I could show you. It's not really that far off...I think...Mother of all, I don't even know where we are anymore! I hate this forest!"

Her little fists hit the forest floor, adding a funny sound to the now audible footsteps that neared through the undergrowth. Draydis was not the only one to pick up on it, although his leafy friend was nowhere to be found or heard.

Liliane looked at Cyfrin. "But why would anyone fool us like this? What can they possibly win with turning him into a...a...."

Lowen growled.

"Into what he is!" The girl quickly ended her sentence, casting a worried glance at her furry friend.

The wolf in turn regarded the vaguely familiar young man who was addressing him by his real name, a name from a past he had a hard time to remember. His pupils dilated as his thoughts went back through the last few weeks.

Remember how it is to be human...be Lowen.

Lowen weak! His wild side protested. Lowen prey! Now....the hunter!

"My cousin sends his regards and lets know that he is unavoidably detained." A high voice pitched in politely while a four-fingered hand pulled the commander's sleeve.

A little green being had stepped out of the undergrowth, it's sinewy limbs giving it a plant-like appearance. Yet the clear, blue eyes were very conscious and the huge smile on it's face showed at least something of a positive note in this whole mess.

It walked from Draydis to Galliban and reached out a hand to shook her's firmly if she allowed it, thin fingers damp to the touch. "So pleased to be here. Very pleased to be here. You are all so smaaaaaaaaaaaaart!" It piped. "Yes you are, I could hear you from far away, I could! But now there is less of you and that's a shame. Means less songs. Should always be more songs, don't you think?"

The touch sent a jolt through the paladin's hand. There was the familiar feeling of Illuminatus' presence as if this little creature had just been with the god she so faithfully adored. His touch was all over it!

Lowen growled and pounced the green being, throwing Liliane over.
She shreaked.
It shreaked as it darted behind the standing stone, keeping it safely between itself and the many teeth.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis was surprised when the creature touched his sleeve. Not because he didn't expect something to come, but because he had expected to sense its approach much better than he had done. "Welcome, friend." It was all he could get out before the creature had gone to the others.

Unbeknownst to Draydis, the metion of Voland and him being a smith had compeltely been lost to him, as his attention had been on the sounds of the forest around them all.

"Thank you Mother." His words were cast into the dark of the woods, knowing they would find their way to Her ears.

He turned then just in time to see Lowen pounce their newest friend. "Lowen!" His words were sharp, but immediately eased up, as the commander knew that increasing the tension anymore would be dangerous. "I sense that he is here to help." As Dray spoke, he nodded towards the creature by the stone.

"Lowen, please stand down. We are all trying to help you." Draydis looked to Galliban briefly, then nodded towards the little guy that had just appeared, and smiled. He didn't know if the paladin would figure out what he was trying to say, but right now, their words needed to focus on calming Lowen back down.

His eyes went back to focus on Lowen. His hands were ready to go for his swords in case the wolf attacked again. Draydis had promised that he would try to help Lowen overcome his affliction...but he had also promised that he would kill Lowen if the man could not control the beast. Perhaps death would be the best for him anyway...the Howler seemed to think that was the case at least...

DMD Member since 2005
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Listening to Lilliane, Galliban was beginning to realize just what had happened to Lowen. He had wanted to become Voland's apprentice, but he had not been strong enough. Lowen and Lilliane had been tricked into using a spell which they thought would make Lowen stronger, but had turned him into a werewolf. The young paladin felt a twinge of pity. Lilliane had just wanted to help her friend.

Galliban heard something approaching in the forest. She turned to the direction of the sound of the footsteps and waited. They did not sound like the footsteps of a large predator, so she could only wait until whatever it was revealed itself. As the little green creature stepped from the undergrowth, she remained still. She had never seen anything like it. The high pitch of its voice seemed to fit.

Galliban reached out and accepted the creature's hand. She felt the jolt on her hand almost immediately. The incredibly familiar presence she felt made her wonder even more about the green being's origin. She was about to speaking when heard Lowen growl and saw him move out of the corner of her eye. She jumped back quickly as the small creature raced to the refuge of the stone.

"Lowen!" Galliban shouted, regretting for a moment that she had set her weapons down. "Please stop it! No one will harm you or Lilliane."
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Syra

Post by Syra »

ooc
As before I will continue and assume Cyfrin is still here so he can jump in when he can :)

ic
The creature should not have been a total surprise, seeing how it's footsteps were already heard by Draydis before it touched him. Yet with his attention on another kind of sensation, it was perfectly understandable that he missed it. In either way the little green man did not seem to mind the surprise at all...up until the moment that Lowen almost jumped him, of course.

There was something about a massive 300 pound beast attacking that anyone would mind. As it was, the wolf confronted the small greenster with teeth bared. Typical animal instincts told it of the changed atmosphere and Draydis -the commander ready to strike when necessary- got a low growl as well as the beast turned and glared.

It took a step towards the pointy eared little one behind the stone. The green one shrieked and touched the stone. It flared up blue immediately. "Now?" The stone asked hopefully, yet nothing happened and the glow died again. It gave Galliban the precious flicker to utter the magical word that touched the wolf-man: "No one will harm you or Lilliane."

Lilliane. Lowen hunched over, casting a quick glance at the girl he loved. She in turn looked back, fear in her eyes. A whimper escaped as the wolf-man backed off, leaving the strange green creature to sigh in relief.

"Smaaaart!" The little one congratulated Dray and Galliban. "You two are so smaaaaart! Now who was the dummy to use the stone?" It looked at both of them in return, a nonexistant eyebrow raised in a little fold over it's green eyes. It rubbed it's own bold head with a webbed hand. All in all the creature looked like it belonged more close to water than out here in the woods!

"I'm not interested in a stone!" Liliane suddenly spouted. "Who cares about a stone! I want Lowen to be alright! Can't we just....can't we help him first? Voland won't just wait forever! He'll find another apprentice! He said he'd only take one in so many yahren! We can't pass this up!"

The greenster blinked in surprise at the outburst. "Not so smart." It concluded, flopping it's slightly wet feet.

Lowen growled.

The greeny squealed and ducked behind Galliban, although the wolf-man did not make another move. Whatever else was going on, at least Lowen clearly understood language.

"Not gonna say anything until I get a song!" The little one complained from behind the paladin, reacting to Lilliane's outburst.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray remained still until the wolf backed down. He was prepared for a fight, yet there was now an even bigger reason to keep him alive. "Voland?" Was this the smith for whom Dray was searching? Only taking one apprentice in many yahren. For Lowen to go to such great lengths to become his apprentice. Truly a master smith he must be. For now, the wolf would have to live...

"Lowen, I seek the smith as well." Without any sign of intended malice, Draydis walked towards the wolf. He kneeled down ten feet from Lowen and kneeled. With a hand extended out, the adhiel spoke again. "I give you my word that I will help you to overcome this affliction. For this, I simply ask you show me the way to the smith." His hand remained extended for the wolf to grasp with his paw...a symbol of their agreement to help each other.

The guardsman was grateful for Galliban's words that calmed the wolf down and made him back off. It allowed them to now focus on the little web-toed guy and the blue stone. In response to the questions of the creature, "I had a dream about this stone...Aeshinera, I believe activated it. I had a vision that she was dancing among the stars and stones. When I awoke, she was gone. We were in the process of trying to figure out where they went, when several others of our party touched it and they disappeared as well." He looked at the creature with pleading eyes. "Can you help us?"

The little creature demanded a song from them...and Dray knew his ability to sing was very poor. "I have not a song, but I remember a great prayer that my brother Thrandil once uttered before a terrible battle..." He took a moment to collect his thoughts, and then recited Thran's prayer for all to hear...

"Almighty Mother Who art the Defender of Liberty hear our prayer.

We the men of the Emerald Guard, acknowledge our dependence upon Thee in the preservation of Adhiel freedom. Go with us as we seek to defend the defenseless and to free the enslaved.

May we ever remember that our nation expects that we shall requit ourselves with honor, that we may never bring shame upon our faith, our families, or our fellow men.

Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee and the Tari belongs the victor's crown. For Thou art the kingdom, and the power and glory forever.

Mother be praised."

He smiled at the creature after he finished. "It is not a song, but perhaps a bit of poetry will suffice?"

DMD Member since 2005
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban remained silent as the creature and then Draydis spoke. She waited until Draydis finished his prayer to speak.

"Unless this Voland knows how to cure Lowen, we still have a problem. Would it not be prudent to first cure him before seeking out the smith?" she said to Draydis specifically.

In her mind, Galliban was beginning to think of the reason she had come to the forest in the first place. The artifact still had to be recovered, and she therefore could not become involved in Draydis's task. She was helping Lowen now only because his presence had endangered her party in the first place. There was no little left of that party. Aeshinera had disappeared and Glyph'n... where was Glyph'n?

"What has happened to Glyph'n?" she said aloud.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Lowen looked at Draydis. There was sudden recognition when the smith's name was repeated. Yet the little greenster interrupted and left the wolfman to ponder his own thoughts.

The funny little creature nodded it's head at the commander. "Yes...she must have been smaaaart! But the stone is not. It's broke. Now, a song..."

It listened to Draydis, a small pout appearing when he was done. "That...is not a song." It insisted , folding it's arms. "Go find your smith. I can't help without a song."

Man wants Voland...Voland wants only one apprentice. A snarl appeared on Lowen's furry face. If Voland chooses him...what will happen to me?

He reconsidered the 'friendly' gesture Dray had made and turned towards Galliban who was speaking much more sensible words. Of course they should cure him first!

Is it a cure? Do I want to be that weakling again? Hunt...the hunt...so strong...burning, blood burning, something else burning.

Suddenly the wolf's head snapped up, his sensitive nose picking up the distinct smell of fire. He howled, cursing the wind that brought it their way and before he knew what he was doing, instinct took over and the wolfman darted off in the opposite direction of the fire that was coming.

"LOWEN!" Liliane screamed. A flock of birds followed the same direction as the wolf. Whatever had tipped Lowen off to get out of here was not perceptible to humans or adhiel just yet.

The green one frowned, tapping it's webbed fingers on the stone. "That's funny." He mused in a sing song voice. "That is very funny. Now why did he do that? And why are you not working properly? Someone hit you?" The latter was aimed at the dolman which stood silent under the creature's touch.

"Glyph'n?" It repeated Galliban's query. "Dunno who you are talking about. Indeed the dark guide was nowhere in sight, having left a considerable time ago when Aeshinera had vanished.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked in dismay as Lowen fled from the group. Lowen needed to stay with them...and somehow the strange little creature could possibly help.

He was going to call out after the wolf, but figured it wouldn't do any good...instincts seemed to be driving him, as was apparent from the flight of the other animals from the area. ~What is the cause?...~

The commander slowly approached the little creature. "If it is a song you want, then you shall have it...but what do we get in exchange? We need to heal Lowen and help him no longer be in that wolf form, we need to find the smith Voland, and we need to find our friends that disappeared after touching this stone. Can you help with all of that?"

OOC: just to go ahead and help the thread move along, Dray will do the following if the creature's answer is sufficient to his questions... (i.e. the creature can tell us about the stone, where everybody went, and how to help Lowen.)

IC:
He waited for the creature to answer, and then slowly approached. The guardsman thought about all the songs he had heard as a child before he continued on. Suddenly, a new melody came to mind. It was eerie, yet powerful and moving...

With a deep voice, his song started. The tone of his voice was not good, and it was immediately apparent that he had never practiced singing at all. Luckily for Draydis, he didn't live and die by this talent.

The song started with quiet humming and gradually grew in volume and intensity as the song was sung...buliding with a sudden emergence of power at the end. None present had ever heard the tune before...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"The forest stirs
animals run
what evil has destroyed
shall be undone.

The Mother calls
with mournful pleas
we reply with faith
to end this disease.

With furious rage
invaders we repel
with faith and blades
they'll be cast to hell.

And in their wake
their souls consumed
where victory seemed theirs
is only their doom.

The Mother's tears
are tears of joy
for days like these
are when faith will destroy.

Where Mother once loved
She now cries for death
I'll be Her sword
wounding 'till I have no breath."

ooc: I have another post right after this one. i'm wiriting these on my cell phone and it restricts the post length.

DMD Member since 2005
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The song ended with a sudden silence. Dray dropped to one knee as if all his energy had vacated his body. As he kneeled, the commander drove his short swords into the ground as far as they would go. With his hands still on the hilts, he bowed his head... "Mother, I re-dedicate my blades and my being into your service. There is a presence in these woods that is adverse to nature. I shall do my best to drive these invaders from your land. May the ground that surrounds these blades be blessed by faith so they can aid me in freeing our people and this land from the grip of invasion. "

The aspiring paladin then removed the swords from the ground and returned them to their scabbards...not bothering to clean the soil from them first.

Dray turned to the creature by the stone then, slowly standing once again. It appeared that the adhiel commander was somewhat weakened...for no ready reason. With words that lacked their usual force and presence, he spoke to the creature.

"You...have your song... Will you please...help us."

Dray then waited for an answer...as if trying to catch his breath.

DMD Member since 2005
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

OOC: I have been having various troubles lately and have not been able to post. If at all possible, I shall catch up tommorow. I give my sincerest apologies for the incovenience.
Syra

Post by Syra »

The little green creature listened, it's eyes growing big as the sudden song emerged from the most unlikely of sources. While the strange melody continued more forestlife around them fled the premisses. A scent of something burning was carried on the wind. The sky was growing darker with smoke in the distance.

The forest stirred indeed, as did the animals run. When the Mother's call came, it was not quite what Dray migth have had in mind. A sudden countervoice joined his, lifting his song up into the air and filling the surroundings. Singing about consumation the fire that had been started by the Oneists on the other side of the forest grew towards the song, called by it's urgent need.

The last line was echoed as the greenster stared at the dark paladin in awe. "That..." It's tiny voice piped, 'Was a Song...I will help."

The first flames reached out of the treeline. Smoke was growing thicked, despite most of the clouds reaching for the skies. Alarmed the grean sea elf looked up, waking up to a very real threat. "GRAB THE STONE!" He squeaked and pulled the weakened Draydis towards the malfunctioning stone with unreal force. "You too!" It yelled at Galliban.

"Think where you wanna be!" He managed to choke out before he touched the dolman and
in
a

FLASH

nothing

silence

darkness

shhhhhhhh

where you wanna be

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray did his best to lunge for the stone. He was not certain of what would happen, but the green creature seemed to be one he could trust. The flames consumed all in their path, and the guardsman knew that the forest was lost. ~Such death...pain...senseless...~

He then was pulled towards the stone. As his hand made contact with the rock, the only thought in his head was to go where he could learn more about fighting demons. Dray briefly remembered a dream with a man named Gavin who had spoken of fighting demons in his land. Thus, Dort was the first that came to mind. Dray had never been there, but it was far from this fight, and as far as he knew, all of Taquar was lost to flames. The search for the sword would have to be abandoned for now. Hopefully the flames were created to destroy the demoness, and not created by her to destroy the adhiel.

The commander would return one day to seek revenge, but for now, he would go to find more allies...gain more skills...and develop his powers of faith.

"Take me to Gavin in Islay!"

Draydis then felt himself slipping into unconsciousness. He did not know why the song had drained so much from his body, or even where the song came from for that matter. All he knew is that the presence of the Mother was all about him, and he closed his eyes with a sense of peace...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

Skilled :)

Syra

[/size]

Return to “T'aquar Archive”