Fools build houses, and wise women buy them - Samheen 28thTT

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Fools build houses, and wise women buy them - Samheen 28thTT

Post by Ashari »

Samheen 28th, Early Trade Tide

Ashari had found Ulder - alive, but not well. He was suffering a great deal at the loss of Elaine, even more-so because he wanted to do something about it, and he wanted to find her. The mage had agreed to help, she'd signed herself up to be some sort of a hero for a city she knew nothing of. She'd been a hero in the past and it'd caused her nothing but hardship.

They'd been accidental victories. A group of people joining together out of the blue, meeting days before or perhaps the day of, and doing miraculous things from fighting off the Orcs and defeating the betraying Regent and his distant Red Man in the Mirror to slaying ghosts in the very castle of Balthasar himself. Their haphazard slashes and stabs somehow proved to work and they crushed their foes. This was different. She had time to think it over - that never happened before. For some reason, Ashari felt like she ought to be rushing in, now, while Ulder was speaking to K`Mith. That they should just raise swords and magick to stop the creature seemed a perfectly plausible idea.

Instead, she found herself at the Citadel itself. The heart of the city immortalized in a huge priapic tower. Impregnable, no doubt. Ash snickered to herself. Inviolable.. yes.. inviolable, much better word choice.

She sighed and looked upon the grande building. The Imperial Guards moved about in their white tunics as she approached the wide door to the interior where visitors mingled and stared skyward. Her brows drew together with curiosity as she too stole a look upward, only to pause in her steps, suddenly unaware of the many other people aside from their continued conversations playing as a rumbling backdrop to her appreciation of the artwork. It was spectacular, the ceiling in it's entirety painted in murals meant to remember things that had occured. Her gray orbs played past scenes of attack and bravery and a part of her wondered if someday she might be similarly immortalized. Tthat not even death would stop her name from being remembered was an interesting idea.

Having her fill of the colors and shading, Ashari looked around at the people. They varied greatly from dignitaries to common men hoping to make petitions for whatever thing ailed them. There is no Caesar to see you, so who do you seek instead? There had to be a Regent about to hear their pleas, but that was a vanishing thought as she sought out someone who might give her directions.

To say that the dark hair beauty have been given a variety of places to look for a new Rose Guild building would be an overwhelming understatement. Temple of Pecunia, Missy, fer sure. Said one man in the Dragon. No, go see the Imperial Trade men, oh, they get all those houses and such to sell. Answered a barmaid. But, she found herself at the Citadel, instead, at her own instict, since it was the crown that took her own house. It was rediculous to think that hers should be the only one.

She had that reason, as well, to look for the Kislovani Knight. "Excuse me," Ash asked the first person she saw who looked as though he was directing people. Hand raised, pointing out directions, perhaps holding a scroll. "I'm looking for Stephen Matiro." She had wanted to meet him as Crane suggested - casually, but, it was the only name that had been dropped when she was out in the city that she recognized. "Do you know where I might find him?"

Ashari looked the part of a Westerner with her dark skin and black hair. Her dark gray eyes might've put off a guess at her being from the Mouth itself, but her features betrayed as much. She could've just as easily been from Muchisle and had a good tan, but she certainly wasn't a 'native' Citadelian. Then again, who was these days? Her hair was swept up from her face with a few braids that pulled it to the top of her head where they mingled into a casual bun. She wore a black cloak, and her dress was mostly hidden beneath it, except for the exposed green silk skirt and black silk bodice.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Getting into Citadel was not a difficult affair. On most day that is. During the Advisory Council session it was almost impossible. One had to have a real good excuse to be there at the time and buying a house was not a real good excuse. In fact Sergeant Preston Summers could think of no excuse good enough to admit anyone. Well apart from: I am here to attend the Advisory Council Meeting. He knew all those who were supposed to attend it and they would not even be questioned. For all the rest the Citadel was strictly off limits from the first bell of that Tradetide.

Thus it was that Ashari was not allowed to pass the gates. A host of a dozen or so Imperial Guards stood guard there. Fully armed and armored. One amongst them stood out. Not quite tall he was what one would call burly. Broad of shoulders, he wore the uniform well, albeit just a wee bit tight around the chest. Armed with a wicked looking mace at his belt, it was his face that made him stand out. He did not look like a guard, but more like a thug. A slightly deformed nose and a split upper lip showed that he took part in some rough and tumble over the years.

He did wear those three stripes on his sleeve that the others lacked. Sergeant Summers eyes the girl and stepped forward. "Yes, Miss? How can we help you?" His voice was strictly business like. While the other guards might look at her in what might be considered inappropriate manner, Preston most certainly did not. He was looking if she wore any hidden weapons and such and if she mistook his intent to hell with it.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

ooc: Whoops, didn't think of the councill, sorry about that. :oops:

ic:

She knew better than to think that Preston Summers was eyeing her as more than a physical threat, and she meant absolutely no harm. Infact, she did wear a weapon, a blade at her hip - small, a dagger really, weighted for ease in throwing (she needed all the help she could get, she was hardly good at it). Once upon a time she'd fancied a sword, even carried it about with her, but she'd never gotten very good at it, and soon lost interest with the big thing. She sold it back in KC before Iorn and she had left.

It seemed very long ago.

The other men, though, they gave her the good old eye-screw, and she felt it the way one felt a hand on their shoulder. It was a familiar, though still somewhat uncomfortable, sensation. Part of her wondered if she'd become more aware of it with her magicks, with her senses so heightened. It seemed she didn't go anywhere in the Citadel without her shields raised anymore. Isa had taught her that. She had told her it was necessary. She'd come to the heart itself without them erected, so far. The mage didn't want to be setting off any magickal protectors within it's walls.

"Yes, I'm looking for someone. I'm afraid I don't know much about the Citadel at all - new arrival, from the West, and I've been told to speak to Stephen Matiro by a few of my contacts so far." She looked around at all the people mingling just outside. Wanting to catch a glimpse? Though some seemed plain irritated by the fact that they couldn't get on with their business because of the meeting. "Pretty busy, eh?" She said, casually, and really, that's how it was meant. He was picked to sit in this position for a reason, and she doubted she'd get much out of him by asking anything about the Council, so she wasn't going to bother.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Sorry? For what? You did nothing wrong. In fact it is more fun this way.

Sergeant Summers took his eyes of Ashari and looked somewhere over her shoulder. It was his duty to make sure nothing happened during the Council and he was going make sure it didn't. Turning his eyes back to her he looked her square in the eyes. Nodding once, he acknowledged her request, but took his sweet time in replying. "And what you business with Lord Advocate?" He could have asked How urgent is that business?, but he had time and he was certain she would say it was urgent.

Looking over his shoulder at the din of the Citadel as the Clerk ran around carrying sheets of paper, he shrugged. "Council Meeting today. It is always frantic on those days. It passes." His eyes went to one of the guards who was eyeing Ashari and flashed as his anger rose. Preston said nothing, but the guard scrambled frantically and stood at attention his eyes now directed somewhere near the horizon. Anywhere was preferable to Sergeant's eyes and Ashari, the second choice unavailable only because of the Sergeant's eyes.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"There are a few matters I need to speak to him directly about." He might've expected she was urgent, but there were very few things Ashari felt urgency toward. Especially now. It seemed no matter where she went, no matter what powers she possessed, there was always some horrible something lurking in the darkness. Hearing this latest bit about Elaine had only sealed this.

She could lie. Say it was important. Tell him that she needed passage into the Citadel so she could speak to him right away. But it wasn't. And it wasn't even that imperative to her. "I'm looking to purchase a few pieces of real estate here in the Citadel. However, there are hardly signs out infront of people's estates marking them as sale-ready, so, he's the man according to word in the streets. If he's not here, that might be for the better, so I could see him. Doesn't seem like much of anyone is getting in right now."

"Council, that's for the new caesar, right?" She knew very little about the politics of the Seven Isles, but it was certainly no monarchy. "How does that work? Do they vote? I'm sorry, I don't mean to distract you from your job," she smiled. "I'm used to having a king, not a caesar." So anyone.. anyone could rise to this power. Have the entirety of the Seven Isles spread at their feet. Nothing to do with bloodlines or ancestry. It was strange, to say the least. "Whole thing is pretty intriguing really, and I ought to get to know the idea better since I live here now."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl was direct and Summers liked that. She did not try to sweet talk him or to be his friend. She was honest and he was almost certain it was not an act. He even managed a smile. Preston Summers smiling was not something people saw every day. It made his made shuffle uneasily, but he paid no heed to them. Pausing for a flicker to think, he nodded once.

"Okay. I'll send someone to see if he is free and maybe he will set you a meeting." Smiling wider he said. "I like honesty. You did not try to bullshit me. That got you up a notch. Now....." Turning to his men, he pointed the one he scolded only a burn before. Calling him closer with his finger, he pointed at Ash. "Okay, Bill, time to pay for your lack of manners. Run off to Lord Advocate's Office and tell that Miss....." He turned to Ahs with a questioning glance and waited for her to offer her name. "Tell him that she is here and that she needs to see him over some real estates. Got that? Now run along."

The man did just that, running into the Citadel proper and disappearing from view. Preston turned to the visitor and sighed. "Now, where were we? Ah, yes, the Caesar and the Elections. Well, as I know it, the Council members have the right to suggest candidates and then they vote. For someone to be elected, they need to have two thirds of the Council votes. So, until they do there is no Caesar. But, that is as far as I can help. I ain't big into politics, dear. You better ask someone higher up. I just protect the gates and make sure nobody comes in who is not supposed to. Guards aren't even allowed inside."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

When Summers agreed to send one of his men to find Stephen Matiro, well, Ashari was beaming. "Thank you so much!" She said exuberantly. "I have no reason to lie to you," she said simply and shrugged. "But I'm glad you look for honesty, sir guard, that says much about you. I'd say you're probably the best for doing this sort of important work - guarding the heart of the Citadel." Ash smiled again, silently noting his uncomfortable shuffle and his own smile.

"Ashari Gywien of King's Court," she piped in when he paused for her name to tell the gopher guardsman. The fact that he sent that young man was particularly telling of Summers and what he thought of as being proper. He obviously didn't appreciate the outright oogling of the beautiful young woman, and he made it known by making him go on the run to find Matiro.

Make an example of him, and what you expect of your men. Maybe the others'll learn something, maybe he will, too. When he spoke of the council and the two-thirds vote the raven haired beauty nodded. Ashari mused on who would be voting in such a thing. No doubt each leader from each island here in the Seven Isles, maybe some other major positions... treasurer? She didn't know much about politics either, so when Preston said as much, she laughed. "Ah, it was much simpler in King's Court. Son to son, no voting." Excepting in the case of Dukes who stole the crown in Prince-Kings' absenses, that is.

"There are much better things to be concerned with aside from politics, I think." Ashari continued. "Like the lovely weather that we've had," She had come after the strange storm that overtook the Citadel, and knew that the unnatural fog that happened during the riot was actually the work of a shaman. "And that there is hope that someone could become Caesar and have the... hmmm.. have the power and strength and heroics of Anochrim - rest his soul." The tales of the Caesar and the party of Light had of course reached all of Tazlure, even the Western Continent spoke of riding dragons and using great swords to defeat the darkness.

"But more importantly; there's great mead, robust dinners and the lovely seabreeze." She laughed heartily. "And I could use a great mead about now." Honestly, she could. She wanted to get this meeting with Matiro over with and just crawl off to the Burpin Dragon, it was the only pub she knew in town. "Speaking of which, I only know of the Dragon, is there anywhere else about I might go for some lunch?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Preston grinned when Ashari mentioned honesty. "Honesty, lass? No, I am not looking for honesty. I am looking for truth. Honesty is simply refreshing. And that guy...." He pointed after the retreating guard."...should know better. He has a job and that is not ogling pretty ladies." He smiled. "Now, there is plenty of us here, but often pretty lasses such as yourself are used as distractions. You know the drill? A girl walks by past the guard post. Drops something. Leans down to pick it up. Displays her behind. And the fool of a guard looks at that, while her friends slip in. Right under his nose. Can't allow this to happen."

The gruff Sergeant was beginning to like this girl. He was smiling and it lasted for more than ten flickers. Not something one saw every day. Then the talk came to taverns and his face lit up. "Yeah, there be plenty of places hereabouts. Sadly, I have not visited them all, but from what I hear, that Blackbridge place has some fine cooking and even finer rooms." he paused, trying to remember more. "Pier 17 is a fine spot too, but a bit too rough looking for my taste. Then there be Ha'Penny Mermaid, but I would not eat often there if I were you. Not a place for such a nice lady such as yerself. Not at all."

As he spoke, Summers did not look at Ashari. His gaze wandered around the area, constantly checking the people moving near the gates. Pausing suddenly, he gently pushed Ashari to the side and pointed somewhere through the gates. "Scuse me, lass. But, seems like Amun Rah representative is coming and you better step aside." Truly there was a hustle down the street. A finely crafted palanquin, covered in golden drapes, moved up the road carried by four half-giants. A troop of about twenty of so men in very skimpy clothing moved in double column in front. Around twenty more followed behind. Isis and her Immortals.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

A man of the pub, a man after my own heart. Ashari nearly sighed with extacy as he listed off the places he knew, and paid particularly close attention to those that were in the shadier bits. If a lady doesn't belong there then that's where I ought to be. For, often times, being a beautiful girl among a crowd of men scattered with wenches and drunken whores proved to be the most profitable postion. Especially if one didn't one to pay for one's own drinks or food.

Pier 17 - piers - her throat closed somewhat. That had been where Iorn had been spotted with Isa having their little affair. Where she was supposed to have heard bits and pieces of a conversation that in actuality she didn't, for she wasn't the dark haired vixen rolling about in the sand. He'd gone out to dinner with her there. No, she wouldn't go there. She couldn't. Infact, she could live the entirety of her life without ever once setting foot in the establishment, and it would be a happier existance for it.

"Blackridge sounds quite alright," she said. The fact that his gaze was past her, around her, and through her didn't bother her much, for the conversation was with her. He had a job to do, and unlike the ladies who's job was distraction, hers wasn't. "Hmm?" The Sergeant's muscled arm reached out and pushed her gently to the side, and she turned to get a better view of what was behind her.

"Praise the Mother..." Her voice drifted off in awe at the double row of barely dressed and dark-skinned gentlemen. They had shaved heads and wore gold about them on their upper arms and even their ears (how unusual for a man - excepting for pirates, of course). Huge men, for she didn't know their actual lineage as being half-giants carried something sequined and gold with a shield of drapery to keep the occupant hidden.

"So beautiful." She whispered, her gray eyes wide with the curiosity of a spectactor - a thiefly spectator at that. Ash quietly stepped out of the way of the entourage. Though he'd motioned the gates, she wasn't entirely sure if that was meant for her or for the golden group, plus, she was somewhat enjoying Summer's company, and wanted to wait on the arrival of the messenger guard.
Last edited by Ashari on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Preston managed a grin. "Yeah. The lads are something, but the one inside is more to me liking." With a wink he smiled. "Just stand to the side and let them pass. Isis does not like being delayed. For all her beauty, she can be such a bitch." Leaning closer he whispered. "But, you did not hear that from me." He detached himself from her and moved to intercept the column. Pausing for just a flicker, the drapes moved aside and a well manicured hand appeared. "I don't have the time, Sergeant." A low, alluring voice uttered in a regal tone. With a smile and a bow, Summers moved aside and they moved on, well oiled skin of Immortals shining in the Sun.

Sergeant waited until they were past the gates and only then returned to the Ashari. Sorry 'bout that. Protocol is a pain." It was then that Bill came running and huffing. Pausing to regain his breath, the Private saluted and waited. "Yes, yes, Bill. What is it?" Drawing one ragged breath, Bill wiped beads of sweat from his forehead and looked at Ash. "Madam, Lord Advocate sends his regrets, but he is unable to see you at the moment. He offered to meet you for lunch at a location of your choosing. If you would name such a place I would be happy to deliver the message to him."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Haha, yes, I'm sure. To be carried on such a structure, one must be of a certain quality." Ashari quickly stepped out of the way of the coming entourage, perhaps somewhat out of fear of enciting the woman's prequoted wrath. The thought just caused her to snicker. She stood on tip-toes as the manicured hand waved out of the palaquin for merely a flicker and a sensual voice purred such a commanding demand. Ash stood in awe of the Amunic parade. They were the most regal of the Amon Subhayan... and the Immortals were a force to be reckoned with.

"What?" She watched with careful eyes as they entered the gates. "Oh, don't be sorry about that. Mother above... I can't imagine that life." She blinked away the sparkling memory and looked at Preston once again. "Your job, can't apologize for that."

It was then that Bill re-appeared huffing and puffing and quite out of breath. He recounted to her what had been said and Ashari couldn't help a soft frown from forming. "Too busy for me," She pouted playfully. "Ah, it's no matter, I suppose that's for the better really, I am hungry." Ash looked over to Preston with a smile. "I guess it's a good thing I asked what there was for local taverns, eh? Tell him I'll meet him at Blackridge whenever his schedule allows." Her smile was now addressed fully to Bill. "And thank you, by the way, for running about on my account. It's very nice of you."

"And to you, Sir Guardsman." She turned to Preston, fully expecting Bill to run off any flicker. "Thank you for extending such hospitality to a new-comer, I'd thank you personally, but I've not yet had the honor of your name." She extended her hand to be shaken, for, Ashari had been raised as a middled classer - not aristocracy, and so she considered the kissing of hands to be sometimes unecessary (excepting perhaps for balls or other such fancy occasions). "But it's much appreciated that you loaned me one of your men on this busy day to run errands."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Blackbridge? Okay, I'll let inform him imediatelly." Bill did not wait for Sergeant to send him once more. It was better to be out of Preston's range even when he was in a good mood. Just like he was now. All was going well that day and Ashari was a refreshing change to the lot he had to deal with on a daily basis. She di not demand or command, and neither did she grovel and lie. She was a perfect guest. A guardsman's dream.

Accepting the offered hand, he smiled and gave her a firm handshake. "Sergeant Preston Summers. I command that sorry lot that calls themlesves Imperial Guardsmen." Grinning he winked and released her hand. "You are an okay kinda girl, Ashari Gywien. Good luck on that lunch of yours and take care." Leaning closer he whispered. "You must truly be something if Matiro is taking you out for lunch. But, I ain't asking for details."

OOC: Fin?
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Ahh, thank you, Sergeant Summers." She replied to his most warming of compliments. They were much better than anyone calling her beautiful, just the way she'd been more impressed by Ketch for him calling her strong.

"Of course I'm something." Ashari gave a full out grin for that one, but kept her voice similarly hushed. "And perhaps I'd let you take me out to lunch sometime to prove it." She gave him a quick wink and bid him good day. She gave a wave to the other boys and started walking - to Blackbridge.

OOC: FIN!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Skilled by a passing guardsman.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”