The future within - Samheen 28th - Morningtide First mark

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

The future within - Samheen 28th - Morningtide First mark

Post by Tristam »

Perhaps the most unpleasing building to the eye in the all of Gulanadur is the Assassin's Guild. Situated next Dark's Knight Guild, what it lacks in beauty if makes up for in sheer size

The building you approach is one gigantic cube, unmarked for its purpose is well known, and large enough to house almost a hundred souls (However no one knows how many reside within). There is but one entrance way, a modest stone door facing in towards the spire.

Many rumors fly about what the training is like inside those walls, but the only ones who truly know, are the ones inside. It is rare to catch an assassin leaving his guild, and he will not utter a word about what takes place behind the lone stone door.

Beside that stone door a rope hangs from a bell latched above the doorway, ringing this bell will gain you entrance, but it will take much more than a curious whimsy to gain the company of what many say are the deadliest assassin's in all of Tazlure.

It was called the One-Way Door, an exaggeration of several basic truths. Members of the guild were rarely seen using this door and even if he were caught entering you never saw him leave or vice versa. For those aspiring to learning the skills of Death, the door only opened inward. Once an assassin, always an assassin and some whispered that not even death freed one from their vows. For clients arranging for services, they too crossed a threshhold into the world of ever cycling revenge and anger.

This was the door that called to some in this Gulanadur emptied by the Great Ascent. With so much in flux, many felt this the time to finally strike at their enemies admist the confusion. Yet, rumor had it that even the guild itself sent many upwards at the command of the Queen and their ranks too needed to be filled. The bell hung by the stone door in silent invitation.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Steveine Redstone

Post by Steveine Redstone »

It was Steveine's second chance to gaze upon these doors. Mostly, only his now dead father came, and had only once brought along Steveine. They had entered then, as his father knew the time when Steveine would be introduced as 'fresh meat' to the guild would be soon. The boy had gotten only the shortest of times to look around at most of the interior. Afterwards, Steveine's father had taken part in a conversation behind closed doors with three men in dark robes. Then, they left.

The meeting seemed so simple to Steveine back then, but now he knew that his father was discussing the new student the Assassin's guild was soon to have. He had prepared as much as he could since then; buying herbs for poison antidotes, sharpening his scimitars, and anything else he thought he might need to do to be ready for this.

Now was the moment to begin. He knew from the past he had to ring the bell to be allowed access. With that, Steveine took a deep breath, one last look around him, and gave the rope a gentle tug.
Last edited by Steveine Redstone on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The rope pulled easily enough but no sound of a bell could be heard. Still, one must have rang somewhere inside the guild for Steveine could hear the shuffle of footsteps from beyond the closed door.

The stone door opened a crack and the nose and eyes of a young adhiel could be seen.

"What do you seek here?" He demanded.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Steveine Redstone

Steveine looked at the adhiel a little amazed. It seemed peculiar indeed that one so young should answer the call to the guild. The would be assassin had speculated that an elder may have came. Surely the dark elf could not be serious when asking Steveine's business for he had just been with his father a season ago. Nevertheless, the bold question had taken him by surprise.

"I...err."

Hesitation. A mistake that Steveine caught quickly and corrected himself on. It was not good to be seen as weak in Gulanadur, especially if one is trying to become an assassin. He straightened himself up and narrowed his eyes a little, sounding twice as confident as he felt.

"I am here to gain access to the guild for the purpose of beginning my training as an assassin...I trust there will be no complications?"

The words came out as a hoarse whisper. This added to the young achadhiel's attempt to sound authoritive. His last words were merely thrown to make up for his earlier blunder. He waited, with a grim expression.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"That as always will depend on you." The guardian at the gate answered. "From the moment you step through this door, you will belong to the guild. You will learn what we teach you, you will show proper respect to those above you, and you will kill who we tell you to kill. To do otherwise is to die." The boy's eyes were hard and his voice deadly earnest.

"Is this the path you would walk?" He asked then slipped to one side and opened the door wider. "If so, enter. If not, leave and do not darken our door again."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Steveine Redstone

It took a moment for Steveine to get a grip on the boys words. He studied the adhiel's face, a look of grim thruth. He took a look behind him out into the street. In truth, Steveine had nowhere else to go. He had spent many days training with his father for this, even if he had been unwilling. Furthermore, the would-be assassin really had no other uses to make a living elsewhere. In short, turning this down was not an option, even if the former seemed cunningly barbaric.

Steveine breathed in a long jet of air, almost as if this would be his last. Looking up at the rather dull structure for a moment, he returned his gaze to the boy.

"I am ready.."

He took one step inside. Then another, and as he fully positioned himself inside the building that would seemingly be his new home, Steveine promised himself that he would not forget the person he was at this moment.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The young adhiel smirked at Steveine and moved to shut the door. Only a flicker passed before Stevenine felt his knees buckle and his head strike the floor. The young adhiel stood over him with a knife at his throat.

"Then here is the first lesson of the guild." He informed Steveine flatly. "No matter where you go, now matter who you are with, you are one flicker away from death. Only honest respect for your betters with let you live long enough to earn respect from others. It doesn't matter who your father was or what he did. It's all on you now. Clear?" He demanded.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Steveine Redstone

(OOC: Sorry I have been gone for so long, I am currently on vacation with little internet access...I do not have time to post now but thought I would inform you, I shall make a post tomorrow,when I am back)
Steveine Redstone

The young achadhiel hardly had time to realize what had just happened before he was on the ground being spoken to. He took in the words harshly and cursed himself for his foolishness. Of course they would try something like this, he told himself.

"I shall learn to show better respect for my betters, in the future." Steveine said in earnest, for he now knew that the young boy was no apprentice. "As for my father, I realize anything he did is behind me now and I care not to speak of him again, especially if it involves comparing his skill with my own..."

It was a touchy subject, his father. On the one hand, Steveine knew without the skills he had been taught he would probobly be dead...but then he thought about the principles of this kind of work and it got him so angry.

The would-be assassin quickly rose, a little more wary of his surroundings now and studied his guide, inquiring what was to transpire now.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It was unwise to attempt to rise while a man was holding a blade to your throat and Steveine earned a thin line of red cut into the soft flesh of his neck for the attempt. However, as it was not the doorman's intention to slay Steveine, the knife was removed before much harm was done. The young adhiel even helped Steveine to his feet and fished a cloth out of his pocket for him to dab away the blood.

"The second lesson is that you are part of the guild now and as much as you can trust anyone you can trust us. Against the world out there we present a united front. A choice between a guild member and non guild member is not a choice. You back the guild member."

"My name is Jet by the way. Like the gemstone." He explained. "Now let's get you where you need to be. Any idea what manner of killing you want to be doing? Dagger in the back, poison in the wine, the right rumor to the right ear?" Jet grinned. "What's your angle?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”