PI - Gatetown - Portal Entrance Thread

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

PI - Gatetown - Portal Entrance Thread

Post by Vanadius »

Gatetown was a rather grand name for the haphazard tent city set up around a set of ancient ruins surrounded by a thorn wall. In recent days, more tents and make-shift dwellings sprung up around the settlement's center, stretching the field of tents that were nestled beneath the leafy canopy of the forest above.

Immediately visible were crowds of people milling about as they prepared for battle. One of the strange peculiarities with this crowd was their curious variety of size and shape. The adhiel were reasonably easy to pick out, and among them were dispersed a few humans and half-giants, though there were precious few of those larger, hulking people. Mixed in with these were centaurs, curious creatures that had the body of a horse, but the torso, arms, and head of a man. The were unique to Pan's Isle, and the centaurs present were carefully painted and decorated in a fashion that would hold some significance to them...but a significance lost on the rest of the world.

Guarding the portal were a number of guards in shining armor and with glistening spears. All told, they numbered a score, and looked rather bored with the task of hand holding the newcomers to Pan's Isle and Gatetown itself. This was a strange contrast to the almost palpable fear that the citizens exuded. Obviously these were hardy and seasoned soldiers and rather immune to the hustle and bustle of the time before battle.

They checked the identities and credentials of all who passed through the gates, and ringed in all the new arrivals within a circle of steel shields and sharp weapons. A short line formed ahead as they inspected new arrivals and directed them to their destinations.
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

The first thing that Valsert noticed after stepping through the portal was not the gleaming armor of the guards he found waiting for them, nor was it the seemingly unsecure camp sprawling out in each direction and it was not the incredible mix of races that mingled about preparing for battle, although each of those things came to his notice flickers later. No, the first thing the human soldier noticed was his feeling of nausea. It reminded him of the feeling that came upon him when his horse makes a jump over an obstacle, as if his stomach had fallen about 8 inches below where it should be.

After the initial shock, Valsert took his place in line and really took a close look at the situation before him, one important fact about the camp beating at his mind.

Light… Where are all the defenses?
Last edited by valsert on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

At the head of the Line Valsert was met with a friendly and familiar face.

Lieutenant Karen Barnus.

The good looking Lieutenant took one look up from the sheaf of papers she was holding, and the instant she saw Valsert, she sighed heavily in relief.

"Finally!" She exclaimed, although it was unclear if she was expecting him, or that someone had finally arrived that she deemed worth having.

"I need you. There are so many things that need attention around here. First and foremost is I need someone to coordinate with the Captain of the Sunfire brigade from Dort. He's a tall man with a beard named Quentin. They brought horses through a few marks back and are settling in on the east side."

She pointed in the direction one could only assume was east.

"Think you can handle it?" She asked.
valsert

Post by valsert »

"Lieutenant Barnus!" Valsert exclaimed as he hastened his pace to the Purple Guard officer.

There were many questions, joyful memories and sorrowful ones, that Val could have said and shared with Karen. They could have spent a few burns talking about old times, about current situations at home, and even more time talking about the futures that may or may not come. Yet they were both of the same spirit, both of the old Guard, and Valsert understood and likely already knew the answers and conversations that would have taken place. As such he did not like the thought of wasting that time on trivial sentiments that could wait until later when they were all laughing and boasting of their deeds over a pint at the Dragon. Instead, Valsert chose to sum up all that and probably even more, with a simple nod of his head, knowing all too well that the Officer understood and likely felt the same.

Holding back a jest about why a man would name his beard 'Quentin', the Sargent replied to his superior.

"Yes Ma'am, I am ready to help out where ever you need me. There is a war to fight and not much time to prepare from what I have seen. Hell Ma'am, I haven't even seen any strong defenses for our army."

With a sigh and a small pause he continued.

"I will need a map, or at least a few burns to look at one from someone else. I do not want to become lost in the strange terrain. It may also be good to have an idea of what time frame we are looking at for movements.

Also, a mount for my self....and one each for four runners, for communication back to you.

Do you intend for me to remain attached to the 'Sunfire brigade' "

The human soldier said nothing more for a moment as he ran a mock scenario through his mind until satisfied that his requests would be adequate.

"Oh, and Ma'am... Its good to see you too."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Barnus looked at him, a somewhat exasperated look on her face.

"No, no, no. Quentin and his men are over there. See the green and gold banner? Right there. If you need a map for that, you might as well go back through the portal."

She dipped her quill into a small pot of ink on a nearby table and scratched out an authorized requisition for mounts, and tack and harness.

"Captain Quentin will have all the maps you need, and no I don't intend for you to stay attached with them. But I will need you to coordinate our patrols with theirs. I only got a chance to speak with him briefly, but they are good soldiers. They've got discipline and are a very capable unit. You'll find Quentin to be a man like Xyale or Ulder, only funnier."

For a moment, she managed to ease herself out from under the hustle and bustle of the moment and look at him squarely.

"It's good to have you here. Truly."

The look on her face was the way a sister looks at a brother after a big fight. Deep down, there was love and admiration, no matter what came from the mouth. She pointed east.

"Quentin is waiting." She said with a wink and a nod.
valsert

Post by valsert »

"Yes Ma'am, I will use up no more of your time. I will go and speak with Quentin at once." He said offering a nod, then turning on his heel and striding in the direction indicated.

In the city it certainly would have been a slight of protocol to leave a supervising officer without a proper salute, however the battlefield was no place to call undue attention to your officers when an enemy sniper could be waiting somewhere with a bow ready...arrow notched as they look for such a target.

He was sure Lt. Barnus would provide the mounts and tack as well as the runners he requested, but he also understood that those things were secondary to his task at hand. To delay while seeking out those things that a privet was able to do for him would only waste time.

Dodging around the obstacles of the camp, Valsert moved toward his goal with speed and purpose.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: this scene has been interrupted and moved to here! Good luck, PG...)

~Fin.

This thead is CLOSED to further additions for now!
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant

Return to “Aveas Archive”