PI: Aveas Portal (Samheen 29th, entrance)

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Maglio's eyes danced over the newcomers as they left, then to the angry and frustrated Reiker.

"Just who is it that you think you are talking to? Am I some turnkey here to do your bidding? I think not. I don't care for your tone, your attitude, or your lack of manners. I'm inclined to let you sit right here until you learn any of the three before resolving your dispute!"

"The Order's history is long and complex Lieutenant. I'm not certain how to answer your question satisfactorily. Suffice to say that we three Acolytes can assist you in ways you have yet to see in your young yahren here. We are priests of the One, mandated by him to assist you in your mission here. Perhaps your question would be better suited by telling us where you need the most assistance, and let us aid you in our way."

Hastarl and Sweeney nuanced their positions enough to overhear what the Lieutenant was saying, but not enough to seem intrusive on the conversation. The odd pairing managed to stand close to Gaelena, who had been politely gestured towards to stand to the side and wait.

Once the Governor finished with Reiker and his demands, Maglio turned his attention to Gaelena.

"Now then, let's see. Miss Denaro was it...?"

Gaelena had given her full name to the guards, but the surprising Governor had managed to overhear as she did so. Given the argumentative nature of the mercenary he'd just been dealing with, it showed remarkable aptitude that he would remember her name. Obviously the Governor was more accustomed to social events than military musters.

"I believe you mentioned something about helping out. What sort of skills do you have my dear. I'm certain we can find a good place for you to assist us in this holy endeavor."
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"That would've been better fifteen minutes ago," Reiker mumbled beneath his breath.

He sighed and stood there waiting for the Governor to finish. An apology was in order, but he didn't feel like it. A slash at the noble's head played with his mind better. He hoped he'd finish. He'd rather leave, but he had no intention of working for the other side. He wanted in on the gold and he knes this was the place to be.

"Sir I apologize. I'll just wait here till your done," he said out loud, but thoughts said, "I will feed you your innards someday. I just hope I'm that stupid till I'm powerful enough to do that."
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena watched the proceedings quietly, all the while wondering why Nyrellen thought she would serve best here. These were Oneists. They were seeking to destroy people like her. But she said nothing, simply watched.

She wanted to sigh when the governor turned back to her. Had she not already said she was a healer? But that ever present sense of calm took over as she turned her smile back to the man. "I am a healer," she said simply. "I will help where ever my talents will be best utilized."
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

No one seemed interested in providing anyone else with actually useful information today. Everyone seemed to be speaking in riddles or empty rhetoric. Sweeney's boredom finally overcame his curiosity. He'd learn where he was and whom he was fighting eventually. No need to stand here in the mud looking stupid until it happened. The half-giant turned to go, and in the process nearly stepped on Hastari.

"Ooof, sorry 'bout that," he said amiably to the adhiel, whom he vaguely recognized as having arrived with the other conscripts from World's Mouth. " So, you one of the 'volunteers' from the Mouth? Me, too. Name's Sweeney." The former pugilist tucked his mace under one arm and extended his right hand. Given the height difference, the elf got a closeup view of the massive paw, which was so callused and scarred as to be barely recognizable. "You wanna get out of here? Ain't nothing to see, an' I'm dyin' for something to eat." Though Sweeney was tryong his best to be jovial, there was irritation, and perhaps something even stronger, underneath his words. "Whadda you say?" he concluded with a somewhat forced smile.
'Apeneck Sweeney spreads his knees / Letting his arms hang down to laugh
The zebra stripes along his jaw / Swelling to maculate giraffe.'
--T.S. Eliot

Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

Hastarl who had been watching a bit from the outside, was getting bored not knowing what to do, was suddenly interrupted in his thoughts when the half-giant, which called himself Sweeny almost bumped into him. "No proplem."

He was a little frightened by the large hand, but took it anyway and tried to fit in it, as he leaned a little backwards. "An mine's Hastarl. Hastarl Ras'diath. Ai wuldn't aktually corl maiself a voluntiir," he said as he shrugged the shoulder.

"But that's a lonker stori." He looked at the earth right behind Sweeny as he said it, then to focus at the half-giant again. "Ai guess Ai'm as hungri as yuo. If yuo knov wherr it is lets get som food." Hastarl noticed the smile on Sweeney and smiled back.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

"Good man, yourself!" answered Sweeney when Hastarl agreed to come with him. "Now, I dunno where they got the food, but you can bet it ain't far. 'An army slithers on its belly,' as they say," the half-giant chortled, amused with himself. He walked with the adhield toward the exit, careful to shorten his strides so as not to outpace the much shorter man. Watching his movements, Hastarl might have noticed that for all his bulk, Sweeney was quite light on his feet.

Once they emerged from the portal building, it took the experienced traveller only a few flickers to spot the welcoming shape of a tavern across the square. Sweeney pulled his newfound companion in that direction.

[OOC: shall we continue here? ]
'Apeneck Sweeney spreads his knees / Letting his arms hang down to laugh
The zebra stripes along his jaw / Swelling to maculate giraffe.'
--T.S. Eliot

Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

Hastarl was glad to finally get some food, as he tried to follow Sweenys steps the best he could. He did notice the half-giants efforts to slow down and appreciated it.

As Sweeny realized where the tavern lied Hastarl followed him with only the thought of surrounding him.

OOC: We sure can
Last edited by Hastarl Ras'diath on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ah, healing, yes. As I mentioned, I need your help with the hospice. The last of the healers left with the Oneists a few marks ago, so I'm left with nothing. Thankfully, there are few people interned...but I suspect that should change very soon," replied Maglio to Gaelena, drawing her aside for a moment while Ignazio was speaking to the priests. Gaelena could tell at once that while Maglio spoke to her, he kept an ear out to the priestly trio that conversed with his new garrison commander. She knew at once that they were not expected...and the Governor didn't yet know how to respond to their arrival.

"You should prepare the hospice for a large number of wounded, as I expect the fighting to begin here in the next couple days. We've converted a local warehouse to become our hospice, and we have a small staff of locals..." by locals the Governor most likely meant adhiel "...to assist there. I need you to evaluate the place...to insure it has everything you need...and to prepare for a large number of wounded in the next dozen tides. Can you do this, Signora Denaro? I wish I had more time to speak to you of the task, but as you can see..." the wiry old man waved a hand at the rest of the room "...I am sadly very pressed. Any concerns you have can be expressed to my assistant, Julian Fabes, and I'll send him to introduce himself to you in the next few marks."

Elsewhere...

Whatever answer Ignazio might have offered the priest, it would have to wait. One of the Governor's men...a rather portly gentleman with a strangely high-pitched voice......darted forward and piped up in a tone that could be easily heard by all. "The farm's ready, Lieutenant. On the East edge of town, just within the palisade," he declared, having prepared what would pass for lodgings for the Legionnaires while in Aveas. A farm was no great surprise...much of the industry on Pan's Isle would be agrarian, and much of the buildings would be involved in that industry...and it would no doubt serve perfectly as a base for the cavalry that Ignazio had brought.

"That should house the cavalry fine. As for your foot," the gentleman waved in the general direction of Hastarl, Sweeney, and Reiker "...we're putting them up in the North Green."

The North Green no doubt referred to a large patch of earth within the palisade where soldiers could pitch tents, set cooking fires, and more or less remain. While the facilities in the Green might be similar to what a soldier could expect in the open field, it was all Aveas had to offer for now. It was easier to transport tents to the besieged town that standing structures.

"Oh, I beg pardon, sirrah..." finished the portly gentleman, bowing slightly and backing away such that Ignazio could continue his talks with the priests. He turned instead to the mercenaries, Sweeney, Hastarl, and Reiker. "The North Green is where you can take residence...or the inn, if you've the cash. I'm Fabes, if you need anything," he declared, waiting to see if these newcomers were situated adequately.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"I've tryin' tpo negotiate my wage since I got here," Reiker started. He left Maglio to the healer with a soft mutter of insults and talked to the man directing them to his new residence. "Are you in charge enough to concern yourself with me wage or do I have to find some one with more authority?"

He had to finish this first before he set his attention on the healer he saw converse with Maglio. The noble had a great deal responsibility put on the girl's shoulder. He was making more negotiations with her than with a merc like him.

He didn't like the healer though. There was something about her that didn't smell right. One thing he noticed was that she was soft, and actually cared. It wasn't a familiar demeanor to someone born in the One's kingdom. This he had to explore. He had to see her in private.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena was the only healer left? Oh sweet Mother... Well, she simply couldn't turn away now, could she? After hearing that, her path was decided. "I shall see that it is done," she replied, assurance flowing with her voice. "Tell me how to get there and I shall get started right away."

She noticed that he spoke of locals. She wondered if they were Oneists as well or if they believed in the true gods, as she did. And maybe one of them would know the symbols that had been on the sword she had been given by the gods.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The warehouse we converted was once used by...the Imperial Trade Guild," replied Maglio to Gaelena, his expression conveying his sheer amusement at this most appropriate use of the Empire Trading House's facility. The Imperial Trade Guild, or "The Guild", as it was known, would be considered the Empire's only real competition to the financial might of the Merchant Lords of World's Mouth...and that competition might be questioned in itself. "You'll find it on the waterfront, just at the North end of the docks. I'll send along anyone I find that might be useful to you, Madam. And please...if you have any needs, don't hesitate to call upon us."

Elsewhere...

"Oh, my apologies, signor. Your retainer should have been paid when you were contracted," replied the bureaucrat evenly to Reiker's demands. Julian Faber wasn't born yesterday, but he'd been made the fool before...and for a very brief moment, he almost believed this man's story without question. "If you did not collect a retainer, then you haven't been contracted. Is this true, Signor? And worry not. If you aren't under contract, then I am indeed the man to whom you should speak," he said evenly, glancing over and nodding to Sweeney and Hastarl as they slipped out of the Portal building and off to find the nearest pub (like any sensible soldier should).

Elsewhere still...

Just as Gaelena and Maglio finalized their association, they were interrupted by another bureaucrat that brought with him a young lady. "Scuzie, Governor...this is a healer from King's Court. I believe you were interested in any that might arrive? I..." the bureaucrat's expression turned cloudy for a moment. "...I don't believe the young lady told me her name," he said, motioning for Lir to step forward. "This is Governor Maglio, signorina. Governor, may I introduce Madam...?"
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

Lir Markus, that is the name I have choosen for this... She thought to herself as half introductions were made. While the bureaucrat spoke, Lir's violet eye subtly sized up the man called Governor. She figured that the man was important enough to remember his face especially with a title such as Governor. The healer wondered why the official wanted to meet all the healers specifically but at the same time was not entirely sure whether or not it was the norm.

She was not entirely sure how people usually greeted each other but as she stepped forward Lir stuck her hand out anyways to receive his instead of a slight head nod. "Lir Markus. I am here to offer my services as healer." If he accepted her hand, Lir would apply a firm but friendly handshake. The dark-haired woman also acknowledged Gaelena who was speaking with the Governor before the bureaucrat interrupted them and would offer her hand in greeting as well.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"I'm sorry. It seems the word I used was inappropriate. I meant renegotiate. I have been contracted and I have been paid my fill but I was wondering what I needed to do for a raise." He replied to the man's words.

He didn't need to do anything else except talk. His eyes wandered and watched Gaelena leave. He'd have to find her later.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena took in the directions and the way they were given. She couldn't help but notice the almost vocal sneer in his voice. "Of course, signore," she replied with a false smile.

She would have moved away then, but they were suddenly joined by another man and woman. She noted the woman offered her hand, in a much more manly way. A small smile tried to slip on to her lips, but she kept it in check. And gave her hand to the other woman. Another healer. Thank the Mother! The more the better, as if it were just her, the survival chances of her charges would be less than optimal.

Post by Guest »

Sorry for not posting for a while; though I had set the topic to 'watched', there were no notifications that any replies had been posted so I hadn't checked. Going to check manually from now on.

Having finally recieved details of his troop's lodgings from Fabes, Ignazio turned first to the three priests.

"I appreciate your offer of aid, sirs; alas, having just arrived myself I do not know where we may best employ you and your talents. Perhaps you could make yourselves comfortable in the city while I survey the defences; once I have a greater appreciation of our situation, I am sure to find a use for you. Excuse me for a moment."

Turning, Ignazio stepped up onto the back of one of a nearby cart to get a height advantage, looking out over the assembled soldiers. Already, men were starting to slip away; Ignazio wished that details of his lodgings had arrived sooner. It didn't matter; those who had already left would surely have the message relayed to them by word of mouth one way or another. Back in the Mouth, Ignazio would have preferred to have someone else attract the crowd's attention; but he knew that, in this situation, it was necessary for him to establish a personal rapport with his troops.

"Attention, soldiers of the West!" Ignazio bellowed across the gathering. Even if his command alone was not sufficient to attract people's attention, he trusted the Alamairre to relay it and ensure quiet so that he could speak.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Skilled, though very few skills were awarded.

You are reminded to submit your Recess Summary at the location where you intent to end up.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “Aveas Archive”