World's Mouth Recess Summary Thread: Players Post here

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Guido's brother profited from the rising demand of new homeowners for new furniture and the like, making a rising profit and soon had to hire more apprentices.

In his own academic research Guido gained some acclaim with writing his first treatise, albeit one in the popular style. The book sold well for the Mouth was a literate city and the story that in effect was the core to the independence of World's Mouth was shrouded in mystery, rising interest from the larger group of patricians. Perhaps it was this popularity that made people write him letters with small notes of interest, little tidbits of stories and legends that they thought must hold an interest to a man like Guido.

Finnegan got by that winter. He was encouraged, heavily, to join the ULT if he wanted to improve his change at a decent job. Especially the harbor jobs were "in pocket" of the ULT, or in other words just for members. Other job oppertunities include, as always in the Mouth, crime or working in the Iron industry. The latter was whispered not to be too great for one's health. Blacklung was rife among the workers.

Felecia Grennarth became one of madam Panicci's more popular girls. It was not a bad life. Madam Panicci was good to her girls. Felecia even made some money on the side. She even gained a patron or two, most dutiful among them was Reginald Heugotte, a young son of a merchantlord with a pretty sum to spend. He came every Merday.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Mezatino build up a steady addiction to hemp and gained some acknowledgment as a criminal to the side, a little man but with some talent. He was told that if he arrived at the Punt Den on the 22nd ET he might gain the ear of a potential employer.

Naerth gained employment by the Nashorn institute, which was rather unique situation in the Mouth but she became part of the new wave of women being employed all over the new city nation, even though they met with sexism and resistance. Being on the inside of cutting edge technology gave Naerth an insight in what made the Mouth so powerful and influential at this moment.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Samheen

Emiliana had fallen off of the face of Tazlure with purpose. Nicollo had offered her a large sum of exemption licenses to dispurse among the poor adhiel of the city, and she'd taken them, though at first she had absolutely no thought of doing it. He said she'd be like a savior to them. Emi had never been much of anything important until Nico put her in positions of importance in his business. So, she did just that. She sold the exemption licenses for half (or less, dependant on the person) of their true price and made herself a generous profit to boot. When she sold the stack of exemption licenses he'd given her to start she never went back for more. The fact that he thought her to be sleeping at the bottom of the Vedicus was somewhat planned. It was just easier that way, and soon rumors that the underground angel had been silenced by a man many referred to as "The Fish" were running rampant. Perhaps it hurt them, but Emi had done her part the best she could and she'd saved as many as she could without putting herself in overmuch danger.

Yulember & Darkenry

At first she returned home to her papa. She brought money. He was surprised. She said she'd pay to stay in the guest quarters and to be left alone until she figured out where she would go next. The older Medicci didn't ask her questions for the first two weeks as she stayed in her room and wrote. When that time had passed he asked her where the money had come from. She wouldn't explain. With her chin held high, she told him she'd pay him double if it meant he'd leave her alone, but he insisted that wasn't necessary - and that this was once her home. The only thing she left her room to do was to talk to her brother. For some reason, they'd grown closer in her time returned, as if he respected her. In truth Anthony could see the change in his sister, and how she'd aged in her short time away from home. They practiced sword fighting together a few times, but usually not for long before Bertolla would insist they stop before her daughters got it in their heads that it was a fun thing to do. Infact, play-fighting with Anthony was the most fun she had at home during this time.

After a month she'd finished her first true piece of literature, Allegories of the Mouth. She penned it under the name Armaita, a name of an angel from the Book of the One. It was a collection of anecdotal stories from her life as a con-woman as well as her time as an angel herself. She spoke of the philosophy of the people being the same whether they were rich or poor, but that greed had a way of undermining morals and that the truest of people were those without coin, and yet, in many cases as well, those without any money could turn into monsters of need. In truth, Emi saw Nico this way sometimes. He'd come from nothing and was busily amassing a fortune he'd never be able to spend, and yet he still yearned for more. She didn't mention names. Her stories were archetypal, using common prototypes; the king, the foreigner, and the priest being the most well known of her collection.

The book was important to the philosophical community, but the author was sought out for punishment for the critizism of the religious community via the character of the priest who seemed more caught up in his revenge than upon healing of the people. It was Luca who realized it was Emiliana's writing when he'd gotten a copy of her allegories from a friend who thought he might get a laugh out the read, if only because many of the sentiments seemed to mirror his own, and due to the fact that the character of the hanged man, who had an inner peace when with a woman he loved, but chose the socially acceptable path of being with a woman he didn't due to their marraige who now struggles with his inner turmoil due to the decision seemed to oddly match up to his life, though the friend would never admit to such. In the book Emi questions his choice, and the choice of all people to do things they don't believe in their hearts just because they are the norm. It extended beyond choices of the heart as well, to the issues with their government and the difficulties with the adhiel.

Chyril

And so the beginning of Chyril found her put out of the house again. Emiliana shook her head as she looked upon her papa for what she thought might be the last time. He'd thought that when she'd come home he'd be seeing her married when she left the house again, and even had been working with his wife to find his first born a suitable husband who might accept her for all her faults, including her pointed ears, he'd found someone, but Emi would never know him as she refused to meet him. "I've work to do, papa!" She'd exclaim whenever he suggested a luncheon. And now, as she walked with bags under her arms and a wheeled trunk bumping over the cobbles of their walk, she wondered if perhaps she would've been better off just doing the social norm.

Emi had made a purposeful effort into sending a copy of her book to Nico in the hands of a young boy for a few coins, and she idly wondered as she walked if he recognized the character of the king who was so tightly modelled after him. The thought of him sitting at his desk reading it brought a smile to her face as she considered where to go next. With bags in hand she got a carriage and headed on her way to the best inn in town where she was prepared to set up shop for her next book. All she'd need first was some inspiration, and she knew exactly where inspiration seemed to be born from: the streets, and so she headed out, and met with people, and had lengthy discussions in the market about philosophy and religion.

Skills
Philosophy: ***** (to apprentice)
Literacy: ***
Conversation: *
Swords, One handed: * (to apprentice)

Post by Guest »

(posting with Morgan's permission-- the charactersheet should be attached soon-ish?)

---

Samheen

It wasn't long after her brief initial encounter with Hart and Remmel that Harmony first felt the strong arm of war sweep across the Mouth. Far from being a profitible time, the young woman found herself in severe trouble when the adhiel and pagan emigration lead to the loss of her temporary lodgings, due to the economic crisis the city faced. With war on everyone's mind, there was little room for subtlety or her style of craft. She spent most of her time attempting to con rich, unattractive men out of lodgings and money-- and it still was not enough to maintain a reasonable standard of living. Even with some dancing in seedy bars, and the income from what little prostitution the woman was forced into, there was not enough to scrape an existance in the poor districts of the great city.

Not to mention that old meat doesn't sell nearly as well as more... fresh commodities, as Harmony was reminded time and again of her age. It was fortunate, perhaps, that the woman was tempered, or else the emotional turmoil might have been far worse.

Desperate for assistance, the young woman reached out to the only person with enough influence and power to get her what she wanted.

Yulember and Darkenry

She would spend most of the following two months attempting to assess the situation in World's Mouth, trying her best to hide the sympathies she felt for King's Court. Hart wasn't terribly helpful, but the young woman was able to secure a few simple jobs often enough that she was able to secure a new place to live: and with considerably more stability than the streets had afforded her.

Harmony was attempting to get closer to Hart, but with her focus on the shifting politics of the Mouth and keeping herself alive, the young would-be gangster was more than likely met with failure with regards to her advances. Nonetheless, it was very important to the young woman that she become closer to Hart.

During this period of waiting, Harmony acquired a copy of the book Allegories of the Mouth and began to learn how to read. Though she fundamentally disagreed with many of its sentiments, at the very least she was intrigued by the possibility of this entire world of information which she had been missing out on. Nonetheless, she would never be a scholar... her focus was always reality: Harmony had a love affair with the tangible.

Chyril

Things continued much as before, with the exception that business became more profitible with the end of the war and the new colonial imports-- especially coffee-- and the sudden demand for technology. Harmony toyed with the idea of trying to infiltrate the Nashorn or even the Union of Laborers and Teamsters, and even pitched the idea to Hart, but found little success.

Her ambitious mind reminds her that she is not where she should be, and she looks on the past few months largely as a waste. Eager to push herself further and acquire more influence and stability, Harmony grows increasingly dissatisfied with her current place in Hart's scheme and desires advancement, at any cost. She is willing to sacrifice almost anything, if only Hart will give her a chance to prove that she is more than capable.

Harm will never be happy sitting in one place.

---

Seduction / Woo ~ ***
Persuade ~ *
Con Artist ~ *

And five stars to acquire Literacy.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Emiliana made a handsome profit on the exemption licences. Customers were never in short supply in the later days of Samheen. Many of these were people who could be traced back as members of the adhiel mafia of West End under the leadership of Black Heart. Their attempts to procure licences directly through Bishop had failed, so they were forced to obtain their freedom a different, and expensive, way.

The book, Allegories of the Mouth, did not exactly sell well, for the Mouth's population was by and large not a literate one. However, copies went to various important institutions - the Naturalist Saloon, Sophus and Ghearan colleges, the Abbey of the Compassionate Heart, and the Lycaeum Library, to name but a few. At the latter it was brought to the attention of a certain junior curator by the name of Guido Cercatoro, and in turn his pamphlet Reflections on a War became known to Emiliana. On the whole, Allegories of the Mouth was met with a mixture of high praise and scornful criticism, both coming from predictable quarters.

(OOC: Skills and cash awarded, and you're clear to play in Chyril. Sorry about the wait! Also please note that you can't increase an existing skill by more than 4 stars. I've increased Philosophy by 4, but you still have 1 to spend. PM me or post here with where you want to assign it. :))

Hieronymous Hart had become a busy man through the success of his organisation, and Harmony found it more difficult than ever to get close to him. She was, however, able to attract his attention enough to learn the name of the capo di tutti capi, the mysterious man Hart himself reported to: Simalde.

From Darkenry onwards Hart began to trust her with a few basic tasks: obtaining information from merchants and soldiers, playing a predefined role in uncomplicated heists, collecting dead drops. Her efforts were paying off, although possibly in a far slower and more painstaking way than she had hoped.

(OOC: Skills and cash awared, and you're clear to play in Chyril. :))
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Aaand, since I'm all out of goody bags containing 10 skill stars and assorted coinage, I'm going to lock this and archive it. Anyone else wishing to reappear after the Sync is welcome to do so, but doesn't get free stuff! :P
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”