The Gilded Gates ~ Entrance thread

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

The young man’s eyes sparkled as he took one last look at the sea, eyes sparkling the same color as the water he was looking at with admiration. He had paused just outside the gates of the city; taking pains not too look threatening and remain in full view of the guards on watch duty at the moment. His hand drops from his brow, its duty keeping the sun out of his eyes so he could gaze out to sea for a moment done.

I wonder if I shall grow tired of that view once I’ve been here for a time. I do hope not. He muses to himself as he steps away from his vantage point and back onto the road, well back onto the threshold of the gilded gates that defended, or framed the city he was planning to make a life within.

The young man was quiet as he waited for his turn to come up at the table. His eyes gazing at the sign above the table and grinning just a bit as he thinks. Information huh? Informing me about the city, or the city about me I wonder.

He tries to keep the amusement out of his face and eyes though his mind is elsewhere as he finally makes it up to the table in question. There was little question from his stance, backpack strung over the young mans shoulder, and the staff resting in the crook of one arm the he was here expecting to do more then just pass through.

He announced as much as he offered in a calm tone meant to be pleasantly neutral. “Good Day to you. My name is Teras, Teras Magx if you need to know my last name. I am, well..” He seems to falter just a bit here before offering in his best voice. “I’m here planning too try and prosper in the city and, hopefully, help it do the same in whatever small way I can.”
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

Merday Chyril 23rd, tradetide

The sun was beating down on the Roques unfortunate enough to be burdened with gate duty during one of the warmer afternoons of this spring. With their uniforms still counting on rains and chills, the unexpected bout of summer did not do much to lift their spirits.

With a grimace Jonathan Marker motioned for the next to come forward. It was tedious work, all this writing and questioning. He'd much rather be out in the streets now that the Fowls were back in action. A grin appeared on his face as he remembered the last performance he witnessed where they'd actually made it look as if someone appeared out of thin air! A spectacular one that had been.

But no such luck today. With a wry grin the aging guard watched the line of applicants grow.

They should have an entrance for those regular travellers. Just a notch behind a name and done...
Hm, not such a bad idea, let's see what the Serg thinks. Would save time. This is just nuts. King Balthasar is dead. No one will be interested in Roque other than making money. Why are we still taking down all these names?

The next young man in line looked like the typical treasureseeker, nonchalant and overly optimistic. He'd soon learn that Roque didn't need any vagabonds.

Jonathan opened his mouth to ask for his name when Teras already answered.

"Right...Prosper in the city? What's yer occupation then?" His brown eyes took in the new appearance with care. There was always something weird with the ones that came in professing to do well for the city.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

Teras tried to give the man scrutinizing him a disarming smile. He took a breath and launched into what was supposed to sound like a well meaning, if slightly rambling and off subject response. It had better given he had spent the better part of the morning walking up here deciding in his own mind just how he was going to introduce his plans for the city to others who asked him, or at least his plans for himself within them.

‘If they think I’m just some harmless bookworm who is good at sitting behind a desk or bent over a parchment and not muddling about trying to do the ‘important work’ maybe they will send me off somewhere such a person could do some good. That’s better than being seen as a vagabond who knows just enough to be full of dangerous ideas and little worth to the city besides.’

“Why I’m a scribe, well a scribe in training. That’s why I’m here you see, so I can learn a very important role..”

There was a pause in the young man as he took a deep breath, preparing to go into a rant, mind working overtime as he did so. ‘I do hope I can pull this off the way Old Tom use too back when he was trying to convince someone he was harmless..’

“After all a job like that is very important, what with the need to keep a close record of things as well as copy important documents and such so that they don’t get lost. Why did you know that without the written word and the people, like me, who want to take care of It we would never have gotten to the point we are today. What with all that’s been going on here I’m afraid that people will stop caring about their literature and history and if so well..well then things will repeat themselves again in future generations, at least all the bad stuff will.

After all if we don’t record it, people won’t know not to do it..and for all the good things that happen if we don’t record –those- why people won’t know that they are good ideas worth doing. Someone needs to step in and take care of things like that, don’t you think? I’m just the man to learn to do it, so that way other people who could and should be doing things which are more pertinent to the here and now can do them without being burdened by thinking their children will be forced to clean up messes much like the ones they themselves are cleaning up…”

Teras kept this up, taking big breaths and what he hoped were dramatic pauses that spoke of intent to keep going forever until he was told to stop.

‘I just hope he sees me as the harmless brainy busybody I’m trying to play myself off as and doesn’t make me go on much longer.. Maybe I’ll luck out and he will get tired of hearing me and direct me somewhere where this sort of ‘useless higher thinking’ is common. Or not..I wonder if he even knows what I am talking about. Still, its burning up out here, those uniforms don’t look comfortable.. I am sure I can keep going longer then he can stand to hear me, this ‘is’ how Old Tom always ended up getting out the door without having pay his tab when the subject was brought up..I think…’
Syra

Post by Syra »

Almost his jaw dropped as the newcomer launched into a monologue that would have befitted any of the Fowls.
Almost.

But Jonathan was a professional and managed to keep a neutral face, although nothing more than a few words like 'records' and 'getting lost' actually registered. Especially the latter appealed to him right now, although he sure was curious about what exactly this Teras thought he was here to clean up.

"Apprentice scribe...." He mumbled and wrote it down. "And who will you be apprenticing with?" The man looked up again, almost regretting his question as he suspected nothing less but another one of the elaborate speeches.

Damn literates, always think they own the world... Almost he scowled.
Almost.
After all, he was a professional.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

‘The first competent one who will take me on..’ He paused for only a few seconds as he figured out how to phrase his response in a acceptable manner.

“I am new to the city, yes? I would not presume to guess whom I will apprentice myself too as I may very well over reach myself. It should not take me long to find someone, but I don’t wish to over extend my hopes. “

The young man tried to smile here again, but he couldn’t manage more than a slight shrug of his shoulders as his head cocked to one side.

“Might you know someone you might suggest? Anyone posted at such an important position as making sure no undesirables enter the city must know plenty about those desirables who do live within it.”

It was only after he made this statement that the young man realized it might sound sarcastic, which had him cringe inside just a bit and prepare himself for the inevitable rebuttal he would be saddled with. And he was even being serious about his praise for once this time.

‘The first time I’m not bending things a tad in my favor, and I end up putting my foot in my mouth..’
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Jonathan pondered the question for a moment while he handed Teras his city pass. "I bet you could try to find employment at the main office, close to the middle wall in the merchant's quarters. It's where they provide busking permits and all that? Lots of writing, I bet."

If there had been a risk of being chided for sarcasm, the Roque had missed it completely. "If there's nothing else, then move through please. There's other people waiting."

He pointed to the growing row. Somewhere in line a girl vacated her spot to run after a wayward goose. Other people quickly filled the gap.

"Busy day."

ooc
Feel free to round it off and start a new thread in Roque :)

[/size]

Post by Guest »

Teras looked very relieved as he was handed his city pass. He was quick to step out of the main line after a simple nod of thanks to the hectic guard. He smiled slightly himself then as he turned away and began his trek further into the city proper.

‘I did it..that wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be..let’s hope the rest goes as well, or better. ‘

“Now then…” He spoke aloud then as he considered his options, the sound of his own voice it would seem the thing he needed to prompt him to decide what to do from here. Whatever he decided the young man seemed ready to face the challenges that lay ahead of him.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”