[TI] Crying Dragon Tavern: Merday, Chyril 22nd, 1225 AD

Moderator: Mods

[TI] Crying Dragon Tavern: Merday, Chyril 22nd, 1225 AD

Post by Guest »

Sabata: Crying Dragon Tavern
Across the top of the dome is the gleaming white skeleton of a dragon. Held in place by spikes through its ribs, it still appears majestic and fearful, even long after its death. From its eye sockets, down its skull, running down the dome to either side of the door, are two black trails.

Inside is a large common room, well lit by lanterns that hang from the ceiling. On the far side of the common area, directly across from the door, stands a well stocked bar and a bartender with deep brown skin and golden hoops through his ears. To the right is a stairwell leading up above the common room, and to the left stands a small stage, currently standing empty.

In between it all lies the inhabitants of the tavern. Scattered about on tables and chairs, men and women drink, eat and converse loudly. The group is diverse, more foreigners can be seen than natives of Terra Incognita.

' Ahh, a final break from a long day with my father.' Losodo bawked at the idea of going to work with his father. The man was impossible. Though the nagging feeling that seem so distant now, still tugged on his heart whenever he thought of his mother, R'asha. Shaking those feelings back into the deep recesses of his heart.

' Why can't he put away old feelings and move on? With the way he is acting, he should be locked up with the rest of the slaves. At least, that's what dear ol' Father had taught me. ' Losodo smiled as he imagined putting his gloom father in with the rest of the slaves, chuckling at the irony of the master turned servant.

Making his way into the establishment of the Crying Dragon ,having heard that many foreigners frequented the tavern. The exterior was very fearsome, if the mighty creature were alive that is. Now, just a husk of its previous majesty, a decoration of sorts to attract customers with its exotic appearance.

As Losodo strode into the room, he made a quick look around the room, just to see if anyone would notice his entrance. Losodo pulled back the shawl from his head, letting the air cool of his sweaty bare head. Taking in a deep breath, he made his way toward the bar, though he was not to particular of the bar itself because for he knew the bar keep would bore him with idle chit chat, and he was not in the mood to discuss his mind or business. He made it a point to catch the attention of the keep for something to drink, not really caring what it was.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A few faces turned idly to mark his entrance but they swiftly turned back to their beer. The Crying Dragon was not very busy at the moment though they are speaking loud enough for a full tavern. Losodo had no difficulty finding an empty space at the bar and at his gesture the ear ringed bartender wordlessly slid him a mug of dark beer. He was seasoned enough at his craft to know who wanted beer and who wanted conversation.

"Gharibu, another if you please." A western accented voice called out from the end of the bar and the bartender moved quickly to fill the order. The customer was a middle aged man, a little overfed with a ruddy face and quickly receding hairline. He had the look of a merchant that was down on his luck or one that spent too much of his profit on booze. He accepted the glass of clear liquid from the bartender with a pleased smile.

In one corner of the bar, half a dozen swarthy skinned men shared pitchers of ale while grumbling about the conditions of the caravan they just came in on. A street merchant was going from table to table trying to sell the cheap jewelry that hung off the wooden pole he carried. No one seemed to pay him any mind. There were a few tribesman scattered about mostly adorned with green clothing as befit their tribe. A beauty with dark skin and black hair drew many looks but she ignored them all in favor of quietly sipping her wine. The last figure of note would have been taken for a child were it not for the balding red hair and the glasses perched on his face. The halfling was going over some maps and eating a large meal with equal intensity.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

The dark mahogany of the beer made his mouth water. Letting the fairly strong aroma creep into his senses like a lion stalks its prey. Not being able to with hold from his taste buds any longer, he began to quench his thirst that astonished even him. The bitter liquid was drained fairly quickly from the mug, and the cruel after taste assaulted even quicker. After the slow burn faded from his stomach, he looked to the 'elder' child.

Even though Losodo never dealt with halfling personally, he had heard they were wily business-men. Looking to the deeply tanned bartender," Whatever this will get me, and send me one more mug to that table" Setting a circlet on the bar, Losodo gestured to the halflings table that looked as if a sand storm had centralized where ever that halfling roamed.

Setting his empty mug on the bar top, Losodo began to stroll over to the halflings table, taking in more of his enviroment. He eyed the dark hair vixen, wondering why her drink caught her attention than anyone throughout this establishment. Though the halfling drew out his curious nature. ' Why would he have so many maps? What are the maps to? Or possibly he's a captain of a ship, that could take me out of this place.' Many thoughts and possibilities came and went through his brain evenbefore he reached the table. But when he did reach the table his mind went blank. He simply stood there for only a flicker, than remembering his place, he gave a slight smile and a nod." I was just wondering, since you looked busy, if you would like a drink along with your meal?" Losodo smiled, reaching for a chair," May I?
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The bartender appeared at Losodo's shoulder with two mugs of a lighter colored beer than the one he just drank. The halfling looked up at Losodo through his too small glasses and gestured towards the empty chair.

"I am quite busy today but the gift of Dort's finest is worth at least a moment of my time." The halfling nodded. He gave Losodo another close look through his lenses. "Well you look fit enough for exploring but I'm not sure I have much to offer you at this time." Crispin Longfellow, the famed explorer, did not for one moment think he had been approached out of curiosity nor was he one to mince words. "I don't suppose you have any special skills or knowledge to offer the Institute?" He asked half hopefully.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Trying to hide his joy, the corner of his lips twitched ever so slightly. ' Is this a chance to get out of this place,' Losodo looked around the tavern,' Well, not like I will miss this city very much.' Finally, his lips broke out into a sly grin. Pulling the chair out, he slide into the seat, extending his broad hand,' Well good sir, you may be the very person I'm looking for. Losodo Rigtach, at your service. I 've done studies on the Adhiel language and literature. I mainly deal with the 'particular' business dealing within the city."

Though, Losodo was excited, there had to be a catch. Losodo knew too well that was one way of becoming the reverse end of his father's trade and he would not be too kind to be put in the slaves pens. ," I'm curious, what are all these?" Losodo gestured over the table, referring to the papers.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

Crispin answered the obvious, with the obvious when asked what he was looking over. His words weren't sarcastic, they were just plain, and matter of factly. Only his accent gave any flavor to his response.

"They are maps."

The halfling took another bite of his meal and chased it down with a heft gulp of beer before continuing to speak to the newcomer.

"Maps, maps, maps, all sorts of maps, and for good reason too. This is hardly the place where one would like to find themselves lost. The desert sands have claimed claimed countless souls. Whatever the desert doesn't claim, the dragons do. It would be wise for one to know where they are going and what to expect when they venture out into that harsh wasteland."

He looked over to his human counterpart and asked him in a curious manner. "What's a human like you need with the language of the adhiel's for? Not only that, if you would be so kind, just what kind of particular business are you referring to?"

The halfling was anxious for his reply.
I see the future, and the future is bleeding.

Post by Guest »

Losodo's sly grin faltered abit, having been slapped in the face with the obvious, but it certainly wasnt the answer he was looking for. I am actually surprised how simple the answer, that the thought of being taken captive was dismissed from his mind, but he still had the creeping feeling that something wasnt right, but he just couldnt figure out what.

" Well than you are quite right!" Losodo's face lit up with the smile he gave everybody, the smile he called, the masking smile. Following suit, Losod brought the mug of ale to his lips and took one large gulp. Though, he would never become an expert in this 'art' he had a particular taste for dark beers. Looking down at the mug beer he gulped down was neither bad nor good, just, balanced.

Taking his mind off of his drink, he looked down at the maps. They completely puzzled him. He knew a few things from off hand accounts of his father brief stays at home, and the maps that littered his room, but he never had the patience or interest to figure out what they were about and he certainly didnt want to start now.

" That would be the wisest thing I have ever heard. You would have to be a complete fool to try to navigate this desert without a bit of insight. Though the desert people do not seem to have a problem, but than again they would have to worry about the dragons swooping down and snatching them as they sleep." Losodo chuckled softly, looking around again, not wanting to draw any attention to himself because of his comment.

Losodo recognized that look, it was a look that he always had, and he could almost guess the question that was about to follow...
"What's a human like you need with the language of the adhiel's for? Not only that, if you would be so kind, just what kind of particular business are you referring to?"

" Ahh, well, hmm. I had the privilege of having a brilliant tutor." Losodo's heart ached. His mother, a wound that could not heal. He missed her more than anything. At that moment he felt what maybe his father felt. Grumbling under his breath, he blocked that side of him and forced it deep down inside. This was not the time.
" I deal with a small human trafficking business within the area.
Losodo responsed in tone devoid of any hint of emotion or feeling.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ah." Slaver.

No great surprise, of course. With all the refugees infesting the city, there were precious few options for immigrants...and many found themselves introduced into slavery through some rather bold indiscretions in the local law. Naturally, the Council would never publicly allow such a thing to happen...but there was precious little they could do. Sabata had exploded by over four thousand inhabitants in the last three months alone, and there simply wasn't enough jobs, houses, or placements in the local guilds to meet that demand.

For these reasons, the Flesh Peddlers...the Guild of Slavers...enjoyed a very brisk business. A few very lucky slaves might go to the arena and enjoy the very luxurious if somewhat brief life of a gladiator. Some might enjoy the rather questionable fate of a love slave or house servant. But most were chained together and purchased en masse by the Miner's Guild, the Stonecutters, or some other special interest...and the only future in store for those luckless souls would be a long march to some hellish pit in the desert where they would work under the searing sun until death.

Thankfully, death didn't wait long to claim them.

"Ah," repeated the halfling. It didn't take much intuition from Losodo to see that the halfling wasn't in the slightest bit impressed. Longfellow was a member of no less than two guilds...and he often dealt with numerous guilds to accomplish his goals...but he never had any dealings with Silberstein or the infamous Guild of Slavers. The recent increase in traffic had only made the local slavers more daring, and that naturally resulted in more friction with the tribes. Nomads did not make for very good slaves...they had a tendency to fight to the death...and they routinely clashed with slaver caravans as close as a day away from Sabata's walls. For this reason, the intrepid cartographer found himself less than impressed with anyone associated with the organization.

"Well. I should hope the guild does well," murmured the halfling, glancing down at a ledger of what appeared to be numbers tabulated in columns. Losodo knew enough about business to recognize an accounts ledger...and the ledger that Longfellow perused most carefully was clearly not associated to finance or accounts whatsoever.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived without skilling due to player inactivity.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”