The Great Hall [Entrance] - Chyril 22nd MT

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett was about to ask Hector if there was anything else to be done here. After all there were many matters for the priest-ambassador to attend and limited time. Yet he held his tongue. After all, this was a chance to see Andolin in action. How would the new Caesar treat those who sought his help? Would he accept gifts with grace regardless of the monetary value or the source? And of course it was always wise to see which nobles were attempting a move up by seeking the new ruler's favor. The truly influential had other avenues open, but the ambitious lower ranks might reveal a hint of actions soon to come by seeking public recognition.

And then the fiery adhiel Lord burst into the proceedings. Barrett had no children, but he had family and could understand the importance of seeing a loved one safe. But the story had more the ring of elopement to it. And the lord seemed capable of doing great harm if given a target - even a target of less than certain culpability. Clearly he wanted Andolin's leave to "handle it himself", but what tragedy might come of giving such undefined power to someone. To hunt down a culprit without a clear head was a fool's hunt - or a madman's.

Barrett listened closely to the details, going so far as to magically enhance his senses.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I am not one to interpose myself between an aggrieved father and his missing daughter. I will see to it that the City Watch assists you; but I need only one thing from you milord. I want your promise not to have the man responsible killed. I want you to deliver him into my hands. I need not tell you that no one must appear to be above the law in the Empire," he explained calmly.

"This is true even amongst the most elite members of the Empire, such as yourself. I am sure you understand," he urged.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had it been a more powerful spell that Barrett utilized, the consequences to the Querist could have been much more severe, but as it were the sharp lance of pain that shot through his skull as he drew the Aetheric energy necessary to cast a spell was only a temporary discomfort. It worked, but it was obvious that the wards placed upon the throne room were meant to dissuade use of magic under the threat of pain. Andolin's own little spell did not have such an effect, the pain seemingly reserved for his subjects and not the Imperial ruler.

Lord Anghiril prepared an angry retort at Andolin's words, his eyes flaring with rage, but the final sentence caused him to hold back and take a deep breath. His shoulders slumped and he nodded, lowering his head. "Very well. Whoever is responsible will be delivered to your hands, milord." He looked up and into Caesar's eyes. "Alive. You have my word as a Kislovani knight." He waited for Andolin to acknowledge his words before bowing deeply and descending the steps, no-one else seeking audience after him.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Had he not been half expecting such a ward, Barrett would likely have given himself away with a gasp. But discipline kept his face and physical demeanor in the same neutral, thoughtful stance that was expected of him.

Curiosity, also to be expected of the querist, set his mind to seeking out the signature of the wards. Barrett wondered if he might identify the nature of the weaving and the source. Perhaps it matched a known sorcerer's pattern. Or perhaps it matched the curious web of spells that he had found in Andolin's office all those months ago. Another interesting possibility was that it might be part of the network of ancient wards operational within the building.

So distracted was he with this side investigation that he almost missed the resolution of the incident with the Kislovan nobleman.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was much easier to explore the actual wards than it was to cast a spell in the Throne Room, the expenditure of the energy in the use of Aetheric sight miniscule in comparison to what Barrett had used to eavesdrop but a few flickers before. A veritable web of energy was spun all over the chamber, covering every inch of the floor and climbing up over the walls and columns, linking across the ceiling above. As it became clear, the majority of the wards was gathered about the throne itself, spreading in all directions from that spot. The pain he still felt even by simply gazing into the Aether, lessened the farther away from the throne that Querist turned. The Caesar was protected well, the rest of the room was quite open to magickal assaults.

It was his concentration that enabled a thin-looking man to approach the Querist, Simon Ginneke simply standing next to Barrett and watching with an amused expression, a single brow raised in question.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin bowed in recognition to the Lord. "Thank you milord." After dismissing this case, it seemed as if his audiences were over for the morning, so he stood and prepared to take his leave, taking his entourage with him.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Still uncertain of the source or age of the enchantment, Barrett catalogued the intricacies of its pattern for later study and comparison. The presence of the thaumaturge drew him out of his meditation.
"Good tide, Simon. It has been too long."
One of the consequences of the Aether Quest was a certain familiarity with the court sorcerer. After all, Barrett had risked his very mind on Ginneke's mad quest. And it had given them an opportunity to discover several common interests, among them an addiction to secrecy, a love for finding order in seemingly chaotic systems, and a certain amount of healthy paranoia. Of course, the latter kept them from anything as open and informal as an actual friendship... but there was a certain amount of mutual respect there.
"I was merely observing the pattern of countermeasures here in the throne room. Your work?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Nodding in greeting, Simon brought his finger to lips to show that Barrett should lower his voice and led the Querist to the side, moving the curtain aside and leading him down a passage that was revealed. "I prefer to keep those as secret as possible, since they do serve a purpose. And sadly, no, I was not the one who set those up. They were in place long before my time. Probably ever since the Citadel was built. Some of them still elude my understanding, I hate to admit. There are layers upon layers of weaves in there, and they serve a simple purpose, to prevent anyone from casting a spell in the chamber unless they are very near the throne." Then with a grin and a chuckle he added. "I won't go into details even with you, since the actual effects are supposed to be secret. I'll just recommend you never cast a harmful spell nor expend too much energy in there, or you will regret it..... For a full flicker or even less. I saw your little performance. An airship is it/ Mind if I go take a looksey? Maybe talk to some of your countrymen? Or should that be countrygnomes?" The smile held no ill in it, the whole thing merely a jest.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"There seem to be many wards of not-quite-certain origins in this complex. I wonder what other useful weavings from Ancient times one might discover here. Not that I have time for such explorations, mind you."

"Countrymen... there's an odd thought, but they have indeed taken me in as one of their own. And I must say I take as much comfort from the company as I feel obligation to protect them. I know that there have been troubles everywhere in the Isles of late, but I was disappointed to see how little assistance Nipponar had received from its allies since the time of troubles."

"You are welcome to visit. It's not quite an airship in the sense that you're used to... but it should prove interesting. I understand the Mouth has given us one of their ships as well as resources to produce more? I don't suppose your contacts have anything to do with that, eh?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The smile Simon flashed at Barrett could very well be classified as impish, maybe even wicked, the Imperial Thaumaturgist tapping the side of his nose. "I have a list of those wards. Coded and protected of course. And I have to admit too many of those are still beyond my power to replicate. Almost two score of the most powerful ones." There was a chuckle before the man added. "Did you know that Caesar's privy has a special ward that keeps the bad smells out? Rather ingenious really. As far as I can tell it decomposes the smell particles into basic components and recreates them once more. Making flowery scents from stenches. Even learns from the reaction of people to new smells which of those it should avoid. Anochrim was allergic to thyme and sneezed each time he smelled it. Now, the privy does not produced wild thyme scent anymore."

They did not go far, the hallway leading them to the garden, with Simon leading the way to the bench and sitting down, waiting for Barrett to join him. "Do you think the gnomes would mind if I paid their island a visit? I would like to do a bit of research on the ground and magical emanations there. No experiments. I am simply curious what was left after the demonic infestation. Do you think you could talk to the gnomish leaders and see if I might be granted permission for that. I promise to share any finds with you. Who knows what can come out of it." His eyes sought and held them for a flicker.

The mention of the Mouthie ship had Simon, waving his hand irritably and frowning. "I am not involving myself with that thing. They sent us what is obviously an outdated vessel and the notes are hard to decipher. They failed to supply the basic concepts behind their implementation and thus the University first had to discover how to integrate the technology with Aetheric energies before actually being able to utilize it. Perhaps if we had one of their Nashorn magi we might make better progress. But they guard them like.... well like Erwin his gold. Someone ought to steal us one of those mages and force him to reveal their secrets. But...." He sighed. "....would be considered a hostile act. Rubbish I say."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Smells? Seems a little on the frivolous side for a permanent alteration of the Aether matrix."

Simon's next question caught Barrett off guard. The querist could not suppress a slight squirm at the idea of a sorcerer of such power meddling with the residual energies of the great catastrophe.
"I can present them the idea... but I am almost certain the answer will be negative. The little men are rather uncomfortable with sorcery in general and with anything that might hint at the destructions the demons wrought. Also, and do not take this the wrong way, it is a bit long in the coming I think. Should not an imperial representative have sought such study sooner? The lack of support from the government and their supposed allies is a very sore point with the elders in charge. Many of them remember the suffering all too well. Still, I will present your case. In light of the recent surge of demonic activities, I may have room to sway them."

"So the airship is not of interest to you? I must admit that I am not enthused at the prospect of working out technomancy that is in current practice elsewhere. Indeed, that is why I took my leave and started my own project without first consulting the Mouth technologies. But I am eager to see what ways there may be to improve upon the design as well as analyze the potential harm of the techomancy to the Weave."

"Have we attempted negotiation with the Nashorn Institute directly? If they will not send us an expert, perhaps they would allow us to send someone to be educated there. It's a less risky tact than kidnapping."

Of course the idea of taking someone's knowledge against their will went against almost every principal the Aurelian held dear.

"Not that I would put such a criminal strategy past anyone to do with that LoRusso bitch."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon shrugged when Barrett questioned the logic behind some of the palace wards. "Well, I think they are remains from an older time when magic was much more common and readily available. Still, not all wards have such strange purposes. Most focus on the protection and defense of the palace and its denizens. With several exceptions like the one I mentioned."

A frown formed on Simon's face as the new Nipponar Ambassador all but denied his request. "No-no-no-no-no. You do not understand. I do not plan to find out how they came there. I want to study the effects of Nether on the area. If it will help them decide, I might even see if I can bolster their magical defenses while I am there. Maybe set up an early warning system against such incursions to warn them of future threats. That can all be negotiated. I just want to know if they are alright with careful exploration." Then the frown deepened. "As to why nobody went there before how the Nether should I know. I have been busy with other issues lately and as you said the recent upsurge in demonic activity has me wondering if perhaps we might have another Great Battle coming. That would be bad, don't you think."

The airship was a much easier subject and Simon did not look so agitated when he spoke of that. "Oh, I am interested in the technology and the magic that makes it tick, but I do not think this is the proper way to go about it. I have better things to do than try to unlock the secrets of a completely foreign magick, when someone else has the knowledge I seek and could teach me how to utilize it." He sighed. "I fear we have lost the upper hand when the war ended. How can we squeeze them and demand they provide us with anything when they have what they wanted and are free? Damned merchants. Can't trust them as far as you can spit." His chin motioned to the distant spires of the University of Magic. "And whom would you send to study at Nashorn? And how can you be certain he would be taught all and not become their spy? The spies are everywhere these days....."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Diplomacy and negotiation. Officially new duties, but certainly ones closely tied to Barrett's earlier dealings with Erwin and the Council. It seemed they must even intrude into these casual conversations.

"Simon, do not take it personally. It's a mistrust built up from yahren of isolation. I am sure we can negotiate something. In fact, it's my sworn duty to negotiate something, but it will take a bit of time to make them see the benefit of it. Any practical offers from you will make my job easier. I understand that you are not the cause of their troubles. But to some, you will be a convenient target for their anger at seemingly being deserted by the Empire."

"I daresay all of the isles must be a bit suspicious of the central government now that they've seen us simply allow an outside force to come in and claim an isle for their own."

"Do you really think another Great Battle probable?"

"Anyway, I'm not thinking we should send someone to the Nashorn for full training. I wish we knew if Manyana had someone in place there... but no. I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of scholarly exchange agreement: one of the more promising students from the University or perhaps one of my associates from the Archives."

"Spies everywhere, eh? You sound like Marius. Of course I suppose he was right in the end. Not a man I particularly cared for, but his loyalty was certain and he kept Silk somewhat in balance."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon snorted when Barrett suggested he was taking it personally, and waved it off with his hand. "I am not taking it personally, but I have low tolerance for stu.... well, not quite stupidity as narrow-sightedness. I am the bloody Imperial Thaumaturgist. I did not get where I am now by making mistakes." He paused and sighed. "But, you are right. I can be a bit impatient at times. Not the best of attributes for a mage I know."

The Imperial Thaumaturgist shrugged and sighed at the mention of Great Battle. "I don't know. I am not sure. Perhaps what happened in the Aether back them was the equivalence of it. Perhaps not. You know.... We know so little of our past. It is very clouded. Very skewed by personal outlook. And very contradictory. Perhaps if I could go back in time and see for myself....." He sighed again and shook his head. "Bah. Never mind that. And whom would you send to Nashorn? As said it needs to be someone we can trust. Who won't turn." Then he glanced at Barrett. "And Manyana is gone. Missing. One morning they found two dead men in her office and she has not been seen ever since. So we can't ask her if she had anyone there."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett had started to form a list of potential agents when Simon's final statement hit home.

If Erwin told her...

Shock and fear. His face went white as the proverbial sheet. There was no pretense of hiding the reaction: it just happened. He was too busy building intricate barriers around his thoughts to bother with physical signs.

"Missing... no word of why? Or who the two men were?"
The Nashorn Institute clearly erased from his mind for the time being, the Querist continued on with a barrage of questions.
"But who has taken up the Scout's Guild in her absence? Has there really been no word of her whereabouts? Has anyone tried sorcerous means of contacting or tracking her? How long ago was this? Perhaps if I could examine her office..."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Simon was too absorbed in his own thoughts and ramblings to notice the sudden change in Barrett. though he did arch an eyebrow at the flurry of questions coming from the Querist. "She has not been seen since her disappearance. There have been rumors of course, but some claim she has left Citadel aboard a ship, while others claim she is hiding in the old dungeons under the castle." He shrugged at the next set of questions. "I fear I know very little of what happened. Captain Summers would be your best source of information. I believe he led the investigation personally. I do know that there has not been a Scoutmaster ever since. But, then again there has not been a Major Domos, or Imperial Admiral for a while as well. Though the nobles and their ilk are showering Caesar Andolin in presents in hopes of garnering his attention."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Simon, I thank you for this information. Unfortunately, there are pressing duties that I must tend to before I can be of further use. Perhaps we can continue discussing our, ah, technomantic strategies at some point tomorrow? I'd like to have a concrete plan to present when I make next report to Andolin."

After tying up the last few details with the Imperial Thaumaturgist, Barrett headed for his old haunts, the Imperial Archives. After all, he had instructed several people to contact him there without even having stopped in to speak with Tabeann.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Barrett's words had Simon pause to think upon something for a flicker, before he shook his head before replying. "I think I am free to do so tomorrow, but I am not sure. COme seek me at my office tomorrow and I'll see what can be done. Oh, and knock before you enter. Otherwise I might mistaken you for an intruder and do something drastic."
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Locked, skilled and archived.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”