UOM Enquiring After a Madam - late-MT Chyril 23

Moderator: Mods

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

UOM Enquiring After a Madam - late-MT Chyril 23

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin made his way swiftly to Professor Moore's office, his mind racing with the questions he needed to ask his Professor. First and foremost in his mind was how did the Professor know Madam Tigre? The madam of a brothel which it turned out was harbouring some sort of dark magic user. Could he be working with her in some way? Corbin refused to believe it, which was why he was going to the Professor rather than anybody else. He might not have admitted it to himself, but he also wanted to find that beguilingly beautiful woman as well. He had not seen her in the carnage around the Red Banner, and the thought had passed through his mind that she might be dead, but he somehow couldn't believe it. The Professor might be able to help him locate her, and if he could find her she could answer some burning questions that he needed to find an answer to.

Yet despite his active mind, he was still conscious enough to inspect the aether as he walked towards the Professor's door. He never knew if Moore might have any surprises waiting, and he was careful as he knocked on the man's door, and then pushed it open to walk in.
Last edited by Corbin Dillon on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The Aether showed only the usual protective wards. The special ones demanding absolute privacy were not enscribed upon the air. They probed Corbin's nature as they always did and found him marked as harmless. The doors swung open at his knock but there was no one in the round chamber of ritual.

"In here, Apprentice." Moore's called out from one of the doors on the left. Moore was bent over a jagged yellow crystal gazing deep into it. "How go your studies?" He asked.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin wandered in languidly, his muscles aching a little from last nights exertion. He followed the Professor's voice and walked through the door it came frm. The man was bent over some sort of crystal.

"What's that?" Corbin asked inquisitively.

"Oh yes, my studies. They go well. I have been practicing warding with Shema, though not with great success. It takes a bit of mastering. We were taught about them by the visiting Dark Elf Professor. Strange chap." Corbin said, half-musing to himself.

"But I have more important questions, for you Professor. Have you heard the one about the University of Magic Professor, the brothel Madam and a collapsing building?" Corbin asked with a slight grin. "If not, let me fill you in. You were conversing with a beautiful young woman at the Dort Embassy party some months back - very curvaceous, long black hair, magnificently white features. I attended the opening night of the Red Banner last night, and lo and behold, this beautiful woman who has quite captured my heart, turns out to be Madam Tigre of the Red Banner. Now, my first thoughts were 'you sly old dog, Professor Moore'. But as the evening progressed my thoughts changed. For a start Fauna Winthrope was one of the dancers, though she was hiding behind some rum name. Flora something-or-other. That piqued my interest. Then it became apparent that some type of magic was slowly but surely engulfing the Banner, and much to my surprise it completely took control of me and made me, how shall we say, extremely amorous. It seems it had the same affect on many other people. Seeking out the root cause of this I ventured down below the Banner with some comrades - including Professor Urdil. The place then managed to catch on fire, trapping us below. We found what appeared to be the source of the enchantment in the basement - a woman, who died the instant we set foot in the room. I can't tell why, but as far as I could see it wasn't due to any of us. Anyway, we eventually made our escape as the building collapsed around our ears."

Corbin paused after the tale.

"So, who is this woman? Besides her rather fantastic beauty, I would very much like to know what part she played in last night's escapade, and to what end." He said.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Ah yes, the troubled Miss Morgandy." Professor Moore nodded. "On the surface she appeared to be a frightened girl caught up by forces that overwhelmed her. Deeper though we was trying for leverage and advantage wherever she could find it. I thought it worth the risk to make her a set of eyes and ears." Moore explained.

"She came to me at the party to tell me that not only had Fauna not given up her practice of dark magic but she had taken Keira as an apprentice." Moore sighed. "I gave her a ring that would help protect her mind from Fauna's prying magicks and instructed her to keep watch on Fauna and report to me her movements and activities. What she didn't know is that the ring is also a scrying focus." Moore gestured towards the crystal. "She had nothing to do with the fire and from my estimation of her magickal talent I would doubt she could cause such a weave of lust as you describe. I do not think her innocent but she was not the prime evil lurking in the Banner."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Keaira Morgandy?" Corbin asked. "Ahh, I assume that Madame Tigre is a... stage-name then. Curious. And you say she was the apprentice of Fauna? Even more intriguing. But if what you say is true and she has a degree of magical power and training by a dark magician, and her brothel has just been burned down by persons unknown, do you not think that she might perhaps be preparing a retaliatory strike?" Corbin asked. Whilst the luscious girl might have been working with Professor Moore, she was also working with Fauna. "And if she was not the prime evil, do you think Fauna was - is?" He asked, unaware that Fauna was now an ex-evil.

"And this scrying focus, you say, what exactly does it do?" Corbin asked, a wonderful thought of an undressing Keaira came to mind. "Can I see?" He enquired, a she peered at the crystal.
Last edited by Corbin Dillon on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Ah, can you see?" Moore chuckled. "Well that is a question we will answer in time. At the moment the crystal is not active." Indeed, Corbin could only see the facets of the crystal when he looked. "But to answer your question, you are familiar with the ritual I use to keep an eye on the energies of the island. Physical distance is no obstacle to viewing the Aether if one is trained and the will is strong. However, such far-seeing is not a trivial thing thus there are many supportive magicks to aid it. Using a prepared crystal like this is one way. Using a ring with the same magickal signature as the scrying crystal is another." Moore explained. "Put simply, this crystal can locate that ring almost instantly."

"I was watching last night in fact but I could discern very little from a distance." The Professor admitted. "I had only a Morgandy eye view of things you see. The lust enhancing magicks did not arise from her though the dark magick that slayed the woman in the basement did." He informed Corbin. "She attempted to slay the Panling priest in attendance and his god deflected the spell downwards. I have no proof of course but I suspect this is the reason for your unexplained death. I also suspect that this lady in the basement was the source of the evil in the banner. According to Miss Morgandy, she was in charge of the magickal workshop there and was as much a teacher as servant. She did not know who she was though."

"As for Miss Morgandy herself," Moore shrugged. "I know not where she is. My last few scrying attempts have shown only darkness which leads me to believe that she was not wearing the ring. My last glimpse of her last night showed her being carried out of the burning building." He added.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Crikey." Corbin said as the Professor revealed the full extent of what had gone on. "It seems I owe Miss Morgandy at least a small debt of gratitude." He said. "Yet if she is using dark magic, and is capable of killing people with it then she must be found before she can bring harm to anyone else. Even the good act she did, the killing of this woman was only because her magic failed to kill the person it was aimed at." Corbin had not realised, when he had been in her presence what a dangerous woman she was. She had seemed so many things - at times vulnerable, at other times a seductress, and now it seemed she was a dark magician. What else was there to this girl?

"So you can not scry if she is not wearing the ring? That is unfortunate. The last thing we need is another dark magician roaming The Citadel. There are enough troubles on the streets of the city as it is. The last thing we need is for someone to try and summon another demon. That never seems to turn out well." He observed dryly. "Could you see who carried her out?" Corbin asked. His interest in the matter was multi-faceted, but for the moment it seemed best to concentrate on the 'dark magic' side.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Oh, no I can scry for the ring on or off her finger but when she wears it I get a Keira eye view of the situation." Moore explained. "Off her hand, I get a ring's eye view of things and the darkness likely means its been tossed in a bag." He shrugged. "As for who abducted her, it was too dark and confused in her mind to get a good look. With luck she was captured by the men that attacked the Banner. I have some connections with them and expect to hear if they have her soon."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Can you use it to locate her?" Corbin asked. "If she is merely a novice dark magician, perhaps she can be converted to the... well, I don't know what we call it. Light magic? That sounds rather effete, and the 'good side' makes me sound like a paladin." Corbin said discontentedly. "Still, if you know the men that might have taken her then that is good. They can make sure she comes to know harm until we can get hold of her and question her about the Banner." Corbin suggested.

"So who are these men that attacked the Banner? And why did they do it? Did they know that it was a den of dark magic? If so then they must be skilled as well as brave." He concluded.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"There are rituals that take the place of the crystal for finding the ring." Moore admitted. "But I would rather not go to those lengths if sending a runner with a message would produce the same result." The Professor stifled a yawn with the back of his hand. "Too much to do and not enough energy that's the problem."

"As to the men their leader is brave but you would know that first hand." Moors commented. "They were led by Valsert. Since being dismissed from the Purple Guard, he has rounded up some of their number and others with the desire and the will to clear out Citadel of undesirables. Oddly enough he does this by allying with one faction of criminal against the others. It will be an interesting day should only Valsert and his backers remain." He smiled thinly.

"Anyway, the attack on the Banner was part of the Crane civil war, Thomas vs. Michael." Moore went on. "We knew about Fauna's connections to the place and so sent along a few of our number to help even the score." Moore explained. "I didn't tell you for fear that your presence might alert her to the attack. Had I known you and so many of the magical community frequented the brothel I would not have worried." he smirked. "With Fauna under the protection of the Caeser-elect we had to keep our involvement secret. Tell me now, with all the chaos going on do you think we were successful in that? Or will the talk of the street be of wizards and magicks?"
Last edited by Tristam on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Valsert, eh?" Corbin said. "I thought it was him, but he did protest innocence. He was with us under the Banner. Still, siding with one faction of criminals against another seems sound enough to me. Divide and conquer. Were he to take them both on he would simply be making a bigger task for himself. Now all he needs do is destroy one faction, then when they are gone turn on the second. Of course, this other faction are probably thinking the same thing. I'm sure he can take care of himself." Corbin said confidently. After all, the man had fought against far worse things than common or garden criminal.

"And I know of these Cranes, or at least I know one of their employees." Corbin announced, thinking of Red. "Ah well, criminals are not really my concern for the moment. I shall leave them in Valsert's capable hands."

"As for the brothel, I would happily take your reprimand, did I not know that you have been cavorting with the brothel madam." Corbin said waggling his finger accusingly at the Professor with a wry smile. "And don't pretend you haven't been scrying when the delectable Tigre, or Keaira, has been undressing. And you a Professor at the University as well!" He said with a laugh. "As for what people will say of that night, I imagine that the attention will mainly be on the fact that it burned down. Everyone was too drunk or too lusty to pay much attention to anything else, though it was known that there were University people there. I don't think any particular link has been made." Corbin said confidently.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Moore ignored the implication of being a peeping Tom. In his younger days, he would have squandered his magics for such fun but the simple fact is that if Moore wanted to see Tigre naked he was wealthy enough to pay for it and more besides. Moore nodded at Corbin's assessment. "Let's hope no one looks too deeply into it. The Caesar-elect seemed to find the late Fauna quite useful. If he has developed the required paranoia of a ruler, he will not be satisfied so easily."

Moore shrugged. "Of course with Fauna dead, that would leave him only with Simon Ginneke to advise him and I doubt he would even bother to investigate." He explained. "With luck, he would ask the University to handle the matter and we can consider it case closed."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"I'm sure that it will pass unnoticed." Corbin said as he waved his hand dismissively. ""There was so much carnage that night that anyone could have killed her. One of Crane's men, for instance. Or just a disgruntled customer. Most men that frequent brothels aren't quite so savoury as myself." He observed with wry grin.

"No, I think the University will be safe - after all, why attack a location with so many mages there?" He asked rhetorically. "Unless someone decides to own up to it, Fauna's death will likely be put down to an unnamed assassin. It will be interesting to see what the fallout is, though. I don't imagine that the owners of the brothel will be too pleased to see it go down in flames. Of course, that is not really our concern. Hopefully they will simply accuse other criminals, and we can let the two sides kill each other."

Corbin paused.

"Well, I really came to question you about the delectable Tigre. Given that she is now in absentia, I shall have to wait for further information. Meanwhile, another damsel in distress has appeared, perhaps linked to the Slayer. That certainly promises to be a festival of laughs." He said ironically. "I don't suppose you know of any cults, or rituals that involve the dismembering of young women? I am almost positive they failed to get the right person, and I also suspect there may be more than one person involved, a cult perhaps." Corbin said, hopefully, wondering if the Professor's greater knowledge of the magical world might shed some light on things.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Moore nodded as Corbin agreed with his thinking. "Good. That is one less evil to worry about then." He sighed. "A pity though. Ventalla seemed so certain that she might be freed of the influence upon her. He is taking her death as a personal failure."

Moore listened carefully as Corbin asked his question. "I know of many that would require the blood of young women," Professor Moore replied. "but that is hardly enough to narrow the subject down. Tell me all that you know and we'll see if something jogs my memory." He offered.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"The blood, yes. How about the hair?" Corbin asked. "When I found my friend, Samantha a bard, she had had her hair cut off. And by the sounds of it her attackers knew who she was, and had lain in wait. As far as I can tell she has no magical properties. She does have nice hair, but is that enough to see her targetted?" Corbin asked.

"The girls that he, or they, for there were two involved on the attack on Samantha, attacks are often new to the Citadel and without many connections. That, however, seems to be more convenience than having any ritualistic connotations." He observed. "Hair, I think, is the biggest lead I have at the moment." He concluded.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Samantha?" Moore said in surprise. "The one that plays in the Burpin Dragon?" He clarified. "Hmmm. She is hardly a newcomer or one whose disappearance would go unnoticed. That is a divergence from the your killer's pattern."

Moore moved over to a nearby bookshelf and selected a slim volume. "The only rituals involving hair that I know of are used to work magic on the one the hair is removed from." He explained. "In such instances the hair is taken by stealth so as to not alert the victim. To hack all the hair from her head would be excessive." Moore flipped through the pages of the book scanning in quickly. "As I thought, nothing that matches what you describe. If it is a cult, they are not following any of the known rituals."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Indeed it is." Corbin said. "Of course, whoever was after Samantha's hair could merely have been using the Slayer as a cover for their activities. Whenever anyone gets killed and there is something odd about it, someone cries out that it is the Slayer. Perhaps I should speak to the watch. They should have detailed case files. I can tell them that the University is investigating any magical connections. Something like that." He said waving his hand dismissvely as if he could easily fool a mere guardsman. Which he imagined he could.

Corbin sighed as the Professor's investigation of his book seemed to reveal nothing.

"I shall have to investigate further. The Watch it is." He announced. "Now, would you know of any group that attaches any significance to an old man fishing and smoking, sat by a lighthouse atop a cliff?" He asked, recalling the man from the sewers.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"If you wish a bit of muscle to help shift the City Guard you might seek a writ from the University Bailiff." Moore suggested. "Its not really binding outside of the University but they would have to go pretty high up the chain to get it countermanded and most wouldn't bother."

Moore chuckled at the second question. "There are many by the docks that could fit that description. He didn't have a very wrinkled face by any chance?" Moore inquired.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"That is a good idea. I may well do that. Anything to speed them up. I imagine a writ and some long words might do the trick." He agreed with a nod of his head.

He smiled, then, at the Professor's response to his query about the man.

"To be exact, this man and his location were tattooed on the body of a man we found in the sewers. He appeared to have been brutally tortured prior to his death. Other than the various signs of injury and duress the only identifying mark was that tattoo on his back, as well as what appeared to be a woman's face on his arm, though much of that had been eaten away. I wondered if it was a religious mark, purely due to the fact that the man appeared to have been tortured for a prolonged time - some of the wounds appeared to have healed before being opened again. Religious fervour tends to be the type of thing that allows a man to resist for so long." Corbin observed.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The Professor hummed thoughtfully. "Well I am no expert on the religious practices of Tazlure but I am not aware of any sects that use a windmill for a symbol or that call for tattooing of their members. You'll have to work that puzzle out using other resources than my experiences I'm afraid. Should other methods of investigation fail you, I could help walk you through your first divination." He offered. "I do urge you to try other methods first though. Divinations are unreliable things."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Divination? Well that certainly soundsl ike fun." Corbin said with a smile. "But yes, I shall make discrete enquiris elsewhere. In fact, if I am going to visit the guards, I shall put that question to them as well." He said, clasping his hands behind him.

"Well, I think that covers everything I intended to ask you." Corbin said thoughtfully. "Unless you have anything else for me, I shall go and see what trouble I can cause elsewhere." He said good-naturedly.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Nothing beyond your usual tasks." Moore gestured towards a sheaf of scrolls that detailed the various bits of magical drudge work that Corbin will need to master in the hopes of attracting an apprentice to do it for him someday. "Do keep me informed of your findings. Knowledge is power after all." With that, Moore released him to go about his work.

(Fin?)
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

With a nod of agreement to the Professor, Corbin turned on his heels and breezed out of the room, determined to find something exciting to do. Something exciting that didn't involve corpses, or burning things. Well, certainly not corpses at any rate - he had had enough of them for the day. Nubile young lady wizards, on the other hand, were on his mind, and so he wandered gaily through the halls of magic, looking out for new students.

(Fin :) ).
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled and archived.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”