KC: Dragon's Den - Obviousness (Chyril 25th, Early TT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Wilbur Waplap
Civus

KC: Dragon's Den - Obviousness (Chyril 25th, Early TT)

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

The Dragon’s Den was full of obviousness. Even before he could read the letters, Wilbur spotted the bright sign from a distance and knew he had located the tavern. Sergeant Grimes had given excellent directions, and the halfling decided he should offer to buy the man a drink once he was settled in Kings Court.

He entered the building and took a moment to survey its layout. Seeing the tables and chairs made him almost as happy as smelling the meals the tavern‘s patrons were feasting upon. While he longed to rest his weary feet and fill his belly, he decided it would be best to get his room arranged first.

The man in charge was easily identified - his commands were loud and his laugh hearty. Wilbur waddled towards the red bearded man, looked up, and said, “Excuse me, friend. If you have a moment, I would like to discuss renting a room from your fine establishment.”
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The Dragon’s Den was moderately busy this tradetide, At least half of the tables were occupied by patrons either drinking or eating some of the excellent pancakes for which the establishment was famous. In one corner of the room, a group of excited young students from the Bardic College occupied several tables that had been pushed close together to form a long line. One of the students, a well-built ginger haired boy with a face covered in freckles was ordering drinks from the bar. The only other person standing at the bar was a tall, handsome if somewhat effete looking man of around thirty yahren, sporting an elegantly curled moustache. He was twisting the stem of a wine glass in his hand and darted a quick glance at the halfling as he approached the bar.

The owner of the establishment, Peter Throckmorton stood behind the bar and greeted Wilbur with a broad smile. “Well you have certainly come to the right place if you want a room. I can do you a standard room for five banners a night, although if you stay more than three nights, the price drops to four. If you want a room with a balcony, it is an extra two banners a night. A bath and food is extra."
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

“That sounds reasonable,” said Wilbur. He had brought plenty of coin to get situated, and with a potential job offer this soon, he felt confident he could maintain the rent. “I’ll take a room with a balcony for an indefinite amount of time.”

The halfling nodded and waved at the various people who eyed him. He planned to find out if any were interesting, but only after he orders a meal. His stomach came before his curiosity, and those flat cakes looked delicious.
Guido Cercatoro

“That will be seven banners a night then,” replied ThrockMorton depositing a heavy iron key on the bar. “Room 5, up the stairs and turn left. I will need two days in advance but I’ll throw in a meal on the house this tradetide. Would you like one of our special pancakes?”

The tall. moustached man at the bar greeted Wilbur’s wave with a look of puzzlement. “Do I know you?” He spoke in a smooth, superior tone as if he thought it extremely unlikely that the halfling was anyone with whom he was acquainted.
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

Wilbur reached into his coin purse and handed Throckmorton his rent. “I would love a plate,” he said. This was the longest the halfling had gone without a meal. Even when he slept, he liked to keep cakes nearby. Most of the time, he awoke to find an empty plate and no recollection of enjoying them.

The halfling took a moment to study the mustached man. “I cannot say for sure. Do you ever make it to the Downs? If so, you have surely heard of the Waplaps. I am told I resemble my father,” he said. “And who might you be?”
Guido Cercatoro

Throckmorton took the rent and departed for the kitchen to obtain Wilbur’s pancake. The moustached man laughed out aloud as the halfling mentioned his family.

“The waplaps? What a poetic name! No, I have never heard of your family I am afraid. Perhaps they do not move in artistic circles.” The tall man spoke with a tone that varied between disdain and amusement.

“As for myself, well my name is Velasquez. I am a Master at the Bardic college and a painter of some renown across the capital. I prefer to remain in the city rather than visit the Downs. Terribly cold and damp, I hear, it would not be good for my health. Perhaps Morganior Hillborn who greets new arrivals to the college may know your family, for he is a halfling like yourself.” Velasquez smoothed down his dark moustache with one hand before taking a sip of the wine.

“He’s a good fellow, Morgan,” interjected the ginger-haired boy who had finished ordering his drinks at the bar.

“Oh, good tradetide, Syden. Here in the tavern again are we?” The painter regarded the boy with the same disdain that he had regarded the halfling. “Syden is one of the students at the college. He enjoys the study of ale most of all. The poor boy does not have the refined palette required for wine.”

The ginger-haired youth laughed off the remark and turned to Wilbur. “What brings you to the city? Are you thinking of enrolling at the college?”

Throckmorton returned with a delicious smelling pancake which he placed on the bar beside the halfling.
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

“Well met, Velasquez. I had no idea I was in the presence of greatness,” the halfling said in a tone that he hoped masked his sarcasm. “Perhaps I shall view your work one day.”

Wilbur smiled and turned his attention to the boy. “I like a good ale myself. There are few things better than a good ale in good company.”

When questioned about his presence in the city, Wilbur straightened his back . “No, I have no intentions on joining the college, but perhaps they will invite me to give a seminar on my art in time.” He chuckled, and matter-of-factly added, “Why, I am a Waplap, and I do what the Waplaps have done for ages - I am a rat catcher.”

Shortly after the plate was laid down, Wilbur attacked the pancake, speaking no more until all evidence of its existence was gone. “Thank you,” he said to Throckmorton. “I would love another.”
Last edited by Wilbur Waplap on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Velasquez bristled with delight at Wilbur’s words, clearly completely missing the underlying sarcasm. “Well there is an exhibition of my work in Ignacio’s gallery. I am sure that a visit there would assist you greatly in your artistic education.” And with that, the great artist returned to his glass of wine, having apparently bestowed more than enough of his valuable time on a mere Waplap.

Syden was more interested in Wilbur’s revelation concerning his occupation. “A rat-catcher! Wow, that must be great fun, devising traps, outwitting the creatures.” Then, the boy smiled, glancing over towards his fellow students. He bent down to the halfling and whispered in his ear. “Do you by any chance have any mice or other creatures available… as a consequence of your activities? I have in mind to play a little joke on a friend of mine.”
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

“I do not have any on hand, being new to the city and all, but come see me in a few days. I have little doubt I shall have just the rodent for you,” whispered Wilbur. “Tell me about your friend and your plan. I do love a good prank.”

The halfling kept looking out of the corner of his eye, eager for more pancakes.
Guido Cercatoro

"There is a certain lady in college,"continued Syden, "who thinks herself above others. She continually taunts the students she regards as beneath her. She taunts them, flagrantly displays her own welath and is generally obnoxious. However, I happen to know that she is scared of rodents. It would be good to take her down a peg or two."

"So as soon as you have a mouse, rat or something else availble, bring it to me at the college. Just ask Morganior in the entrance hall, he will find me. Do we have a deal?"
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

“Yes, we have a deal. I shall look for you when I have an appropriate selection to present you,” he said with a grin.

Wilbur began rapping his thumb against the bar as loud as he could, wanting to appear nonchalant and noticed at the same time. His eyes wandered to various other plates around the room. He didn’t speak the language of digestives, but he was sure his stomach as growling, “Pancakes. Pancakes. Pancakes.”
Guido Cercatoro

Syden departed with a chuckle. Luckily for Wilbur's stomach, Throckmorton soon returned with a plate full of delicious smelling pancakes.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" The innkeeper adressed Wilbur in a booming voice that reverberated around the inn.
Wilbur Waplap
Civus

Post by Wilbur Waplap »

"This will serve. Thank you," said Wilbur. The halfling chomped pancake after pancake, and his stomach was pleased. The crisis was solved.
Last edited by Wilbur Waplap on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Throckmorton grinned as the halfling devoured the pancakes. "I've rarely seen one so small eat so much." With a deep chuckle and shake of his head, the innkeeper moved to serve another customer.

As Wilbur finished his pancake, the door to the inn flew open and a new arrival tumbled down the steps to land in a heap of limbs, bags and loud expletives. As the newcomer arose from the floor, it became clear that the source of the rather profane swearing was a young female halfling of about Wilbur's age. She had beautiful, delicate features but appeared to be very angry with her unusual entrance to the bar. She shot a glare at Wilbur.

"What are you staring at?" The words were uttered with considerable force.
Guido Cercatoro

Archived without skilling pending player's return

Return to “KC Archive”