2nd PC help.

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

2nd PC help.

Post by Reiker »

I'm an old player, and my character just got his ass kicked so now he has to kick the bucket with no hope in sight of filling that bucket up again. It's not so sad though, being that I've been bored with him for quite some time now, being that I made him when I was three years younger. A lot of things could happen in that time, and so are mind sets and beliefs.

So right now, I'm thinking about creating a character, however, I'm not too sure about him yet or am I too sure about the 2nd PC creation rules and perks you guys get here. Yes, I understand most of them, but it's been a long time since I've made Reiker, and in my mind I'm thinking there must have been some changes done which I am not aware of. So right now, what I'm going to do is to put down my brainstormings and questions here and wait for some people to comment on them before I work on it.

So far this is what I have in mind. His name is Matiel Escariot of the Escariot family. They're a crime family from I'm not sure where, however, the difference here is that this crime family isn't in anyway similar to the Mafia types running around in World' Mouth. Instead, the father here is the main criminal along with his two brothers. Together they are a part of a Western Kingdom to Eastern Isles, and some even whisper that they've been to beyond the Eastern Isles too, but these are only rumors.

The stuff they deal with are your usual contraband, like say weapons during conflicts, especially the last great war wherein they supplied Eastern troops with Western Steel. In times of peace they deal in drugs and high priced exotic goods that require high taxation when done in conventional ports. Most of the time the brothers deal with the black market more than they do with the day to day merchant. Sometimes, they even engage in Piracy having in their possession two boats. One Frigate owned by Matiel's Grandfather during his time as a pirate sailing with black sails, and a smaller smuggling ship his sons bought for traversing smaller waters.

How Matiel's father met his mother is the true interest in MAtiel's pre life. Had not his father, Aaron met his mother, Elizabeth, on his many swashbuckling adventures, he would not exist today. Truth their lofe affair was a tempestuous one indeed, something the parent's never failed to relate to their children, awing them in their romantic meeting garnering of true, exciting love. This was something Matiel was captured by as well. Like his brothers, he flooded his own mind with the adventure that was his pre-life. However, all children must grow, and Matiel was no different. He grew indeed, slowly gathering hints of how ugly that romance really was behind the swooning of a maiden in the arms of a dashing young man.

He would here it from his grandparent's from his mother's side, semi-nobles who own two apple orchards and a cotton plantation (here I am not sure if Tazlure allows for slave so I'm not going to mention any even though it is a powerful roleplaying tool). They were never to nice to his father, but they doted on him just like his brothers when they were too young for judgment. Matiel lived with this tension, seeing nothing wrong in it. Back then, the romance of his moether and father was still ripe in his minda, while his fathers adventures continued and awed him whenever he came back from his trips.

In time their wealth grew and his father continued on to retire from piracy to enter a real business. This endeared Elizabeth's father to him, finally accepting him for denouncing his black past. Matiel's uncles however walked different paths. They chose to follow their old man's steps and continued on to be part of a large piracy organization somewhere to the north of the Wester Kingdoms (There's a place for this I think, but I forgot that place's name).

This business of theirs dealt with cottons, furs, and various goods required for apparel. Sometimes they could even get their hands on some silk, but most of that is taken from Aaron's brothers without the grandfather's knowing. Because of this wealth, they needed to deal with the high society. And since Aaron saw this world, he knew his sons needed education for them to be able to live in it. So, he had them educated, hired tutors, had them go to formalized institutions, bought them books of learning, even books that they wanted.

The treasure of learning however, was appreciated much more by Matiel. A with his high leaning towards letters and arts, he chose to go a path much more deviant than his brothers. While his older brothers chose to be more like their father, Matiel wanted to be a scholar, an auther, a reader of the tales his parents weaved to him. As time grew, this became more imminent, until when his brother got to an age where their professions must be chosen. The eldest, wanted to join the navy, while the 2nd eldest, wanted to be the pirate, being somewhat of a rebel. In them, Matiel's father found his image, and so did his grandfathers. Matiel was left to the shadows while his brothers went off to their separate paths, fueling tensions at the dinner table whenever they visited. Their mother found that romantic, seeing a tale to be told in their brotherhood. This just widened the shadow over Matiel as he sat there, ignoring the ignorance of him, highly interested in chronicling the adventures of both his eldest brother. He was trapped in their story, not his own. By God! His mother's father was also a young dashing navy man in his day, Matiel was the only one without adventure and daring in his blood, but despite that loved him. He knew this, so it didn't bother him at all when he was considered the bookworm of the family. In truth he considered it much to be a compliment.

That was of course until he had to integrate himself into high society, where society had values for everything. Here, the romance that Matiel loved, was destroyed. It was at this time that he fell in love with a young noble's daughter. The father was the first obstacle, seeing him as nothing more than a merchant's son and will soon be nothing more than a merchant. The other and most devastating obstacle, was that: that daughter's heart was torn between his older brothers. It was a love against her father's wishes, and it was a love that had no space for Matiel. And why would there be? Matiel was tall, but thin and lanky. He had a deep attractive tan with growing facial hair and wavy dark hair, but he was a total nerd. There was nothing exciting about him, yes, maybe poetic, but that rarely captures anyone when it comes from a man with no fire, danger, inside him. With all respect, Matiel was an supporting in the world's tale.

This was enough to disturb him a little, but it did not change him. What truly changed him though, was meeting a man named Strauss. He was a scholar like him, a cleric in truth, a copy editor for royal and mercantile parchments living his life in the dregs of beaurocracy. They met in a tavern up in high ends of King's Court where many of high society go to to rest their shoulders in drink and conversation. Here, Matiel was resting a while, reading his papers and dealing with his numbers. Here, he saw Strauss in action. He saw him just walk up to a table, strike a conversation with the women, leave the much more good looking men ignored, and then leave in a minute with the women's eyes showing desire. This intrigued Matiel. He had to know this man he saw.

He followed the man to his office, and went there. He was told that his work did not end till the night, so he left and came back. Strauss introduced himself, and then asked Matiel to walk him home and talk to him while they moved. In that time Matiel caught a glimpse, a certain method, that trapped ladies in a man's pants. He wanted to know more, but they were already at the doorstep of his home. When they left the carriage, Matiel suddenly found himself in the downs, a place of vile wretched poverty. Matiel's firsttime in seeing such a place, sent a chill up his spine. The realization that this was Strauss's home confused him. The man was dressed in regal threads, how in Dominicus's name did he get here? All that he was soon to learn, however he had to go home now. He left Strauss and ordered his driver to bring him home as fast as he could, and as they drove through the streets, Matiel saw his Grandfather, Aaron's father, sleeping in a gutter.

This is all for now.

Basically Matiel grows on into turning into a man who does not believe in Love, Gods, Men, Souls, or even poetry. A man who sees no beauty, only a world that needs to be subjugated. A man who knows of hate and only hate.

I'm still trying to make him realistic and fleshing him out though. Also, I don't have much of an idea where to place him and his parents. I intend to play him with his parent's still alive. I'm just hoping with fingers crossed that the Mods would allow a character born from a merchant.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
H`saan Alai
Civus

Post by H`saan Alai »

Nice detail and fleshing out of your character's heritage. Merchant-born is perfectly fine :). Slavery... hm... definitely acceptable in Sabata and Amun Rah, but in the Western Kingdom I reckon the closest you'd get is serfs, and historically they work for nobility rather than merchants. The pirate place in the WK is Nether's Gate, which is located somewhere in the Mer de la Luna.

If you want perks apart from the skill points you're allowed to carry over, I'd discuss it with the coordinator of the location that you want to join.
[size=75][b]Seriously baby, I can prescribe anything I want - Dr Nick Riviera, The Simpsons[/b]

Avatar by Mockery at allavatars.com[/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Good comments already given.

Regarding rules of the 2nd PC (or in your case more accurately a replacement PC):
http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Replacement_PC
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

I thank you both for your time and efforts. And also, I'm not too sure where would be a perfect place for my character to come from. I'm thinking Kings Court, but also I want it to have a substantially good ground for education and academic potential.
Last edited by Reiker on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]

Return to “Questions & Answers”