Scribes Guild (Chyril 27 Late MT - Open)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Danomel

Scribes Guild (Chyril 27 Late MT - Open)

Post by Danomel »

The Scribes Guild is a large two story building. Its location is central to the business districts, yet close enough to be an easy walk from many of the poorer residential areas. The guild consists of around thirty scribes who all do a brisk amount of pro bono work for a small fee, weather it be reading, translating, copying, or drafting.

The entryway is arched and opens onto a room with several private booths and a few tables. There are several people of all stripes sitting at the tables working with scribes, occasionally one will move to one of the private booths. A set of double doors in the back opens on a room filled with several writing desks and shelves of supplies.

Near the entryway is a desk where a scribe sits, and greets people, inquiring as to the nature of the services they need.
Last edited by Danomel on Sun May 18, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

Azure was amazed.

The amount of knowledge being shared and contained here was amazing. She watched the busy people moving about or the scribes' quills busily scratching onto parchment. She tore her curiosity away to focus on finding, meeting and talking to Mercros.

Behind the desk, she remembered the innkeep saying. She turned her attention to the desk and the person sitting there. Suddenly her lips became dry and her throat constricted. This is it, Azure thought. Once I step on this path, my whole life will change...forever. She knew what she wanted. Azure calmed herself by clenching her hands into fists. She cleared her throat, licked her lips, and found her courage next to the determination deep with in herself to step foot on this path.

"Good morningtide," Azure spoke to the person behind the desk, her throat still a little scratchy. "I am looking for a man named Mercros. I hear he is looking for people to assist him with finding and getting some papers. Is this person you?"

When she stopped talking, she felt her life as her father's helper dissolve into her past. The void became filled with the desire for adventure and the courage to make that life happen.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The man looks up from his desk and considers Azure for a moment.

“Well then, I would say you have found him… or me at any rate. Though I do not recall having met you before. How may the scribes Guild be of service to you then?”

He pauses for a moment.

"But then you have already said what you want, have you not? Though it remains a bit unclear. Is it a job you are looking for?"
Last edited by Danomel on Thu May 22, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Azure suddenly realizes that in her nervousness, she barely said what she wanted. She chose to react quickly and smooth over any ruffled feathers.

"Oh I am so sorry," Azure blushes, "I have forgotten all my manners. My name is Azure Stonehand and yes, I am looking for a job. Please accept my apology for my rudeness, I was excited and misspoke." She regains her composure and takes a deep breath. "It is really a pleasure to meet you."

Azure mentally kicks herself for her brashness. The tension of the moment had claimed her, the moment where she would step into her own life. She wanted Mercros to give her the job. She hoped, even after her horrible mistake, that he would still give it to her. She made eye contact with the man and smiled sweetly.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Mercros nodded, reaching for a large ledger on a shelf behind him. “Yes, there are several new postings available. Was there anything in particular that you were interested in?”

Mercros flips the book open to a bookmarked page with quite a few list entries on it. He begins to run his finger down the list.

“Tabora is looking for several people to work his tannery.” Glancing at Azure, Mercros comments, “however I would judge that is not the sort of employment you are looking for.”

He scans down the list, skipping several entries. “Ahh, here is one in the place library. They are looking for someone to aid in the collection of rare books and manuscripts. Can you read? How are your bartering skills?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"My reading is basic, I can follow a recipe and write my name and understand simple things," She blushed. "I do have a great determination and my bartering skills are good." She takes a deep breath. "I would love to help in any way that I could! I think I would be good for the job."

I can only hope that this is a job I need, Azure thought, This will give me the adventure I've been longing for...

"Its up to you to decide who goes on that job," Azure said bluntly. "I would love to go. It would give me an opportunity that I might need to get future jobs...and coin. How's the pay?"
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

be the deciding factor. Don’t worry about the reading bit. Not a big requirement, as her daughter goes along and reads quite well. Besides the Lady has her own standards. It is her you must impress.”

Mercos is busy writing on a piece of paper as he talks. “If you want, just have a seat for a few minutes while I get some paperwork together.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"Sure, I'll wait." Azure said, finding a seat in the reception area. She mulled over the fact that the Lady's daughter would be traveling with her. The fact that she wasn't going alone comforted her and allowed Azure to relax in the seat as she waited.

She turned her attention toward the symphony of the scribe's guild. The scratching of pens on parchment, the rustling of the paper, the rolling and tying of scrolls. All of these things amazed her. The contents of such scrolls escaped her skills, but she imagined them telling great stories. Perhaps about the war. Others about the adventurers that have done heroic things. She wondered if they simply held knowledge of who was king in what age, accounts of newsworthy importance or even gossip. All of these things appeared as a mystery to her, one she may unlock one day. Perhaps, she thought, I missed adventures I didn't have to go traveling to experience. They were here, under my nose all my life. She shook her thoughts away.

There was something better for her, she felt it in every fiber of her being. So she prepared herself to impress the Lady. Azure wanted to make sure that she would be picked for the job. She delved into her experience as her father's helper and ran over what etiquette she possessed as she waited for the paperwork.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Re: Scribes Guild (Chyril 27 Late MT - Open)

Post by Matiel Escariot »

It was early in the morning when he decided to leave Durette's class early and act upon some personal errands. Then again, leaving early was just another term for absence. Something Matiel often practiced when there was no point to presence.

Danomel wrote:The Scribes Guild is a large two story building. Its location is central to the business districts, yet close enough to be an easy walk from many of the poorer residential areas. The guild consists of around thirty scribes who all do a brisk amount of pro bono work for a small fee, weather it be reading, translating, copying, or drafting.

The entryway is arched and opens onto a room with several private booths and a few tables. There are several people of all stripes sitting at the tables working with scribes, occasionally one will move to one of the private booths. A set of double doors in the back opens on a room filled with several writing desks and shelves of supplies.

Near the entryway is a desk where a scribe sits, and greets people, inquiring as to the nature of the services they need.

The scribes guild, and wonderful place for men of the letter, men of the pen, in other words pencil pushers. As much as he hated it, MAtiel was one of these people here, scurrying around looking for something useful to do with their demographically limited skill. He had believed when he was younger, that to know how to read and write was a skill reserved for true success, then again...none of these people could ever be trusted with an army. Too smart for their own good. Too skilled at what they do for their own good. This was never a matter of skill anyway, it was more a matter of person and face. Pencil pushers had their taken a long time ago, when they actually believed the quill can stab out eyes.

Matiel approached the clerk just before he could leave behind his visitor. He wasn't sure what they were talking about earlier, but he was sure he heard the word job in that conversation. He didn't really want to disturb his business, nor the visitors waiting, but Matiel hoped the clerk could recognize him and allow him a bit of space. Matiel, at certain points in his life, would come here looking for a scribe's just so he could get some experience and hopefully meet people who could give him what he wanted. Now was another of those days.

"Sire," he hurriedly called after the clerk, "Forgive me for intruding, but I do hope you still have some minor openings here. I also hope you can remember my face. I'm a scribe enrolled at the Bardic College, and I sometimes come here for either work or apprenticeship as both scribe and bookkeeper."
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Azure rose quickly from her thoughts to pay attention to a man now standing before the desk. She noted him with interest because he was very quick to the point, something Azure respected in people. She looked at the man behind the desk, waiting for his response. Hopefully the only job he had was the same job she waited for. The more the merrier, Azure thought, musing. Studying at the bardic college, how interesting that must be! Unwilling to interrupt his question to Mercros, Azure waited for the him to respond to the request before she would introduce herself. She held her breath, gave a short and hopeful prayer to the One God, and tried to contain her eagerness to meet this new person.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Mercos glanced at Matiel for a flicker, with a bit of annoyance showing on his face. “Your face is familiar, but I can’t place where I have seen you before.”

Mercos flips back a page in his ledger and scans the information there. “There is noting pending here today. Would you mind having a seat while I finish while the lady? I can then give you my full attention.”

Mercos goes back to writing on the document before him.

Looking around, the only available chairs are the several where Azure is currently standing.
Last edited by Danomel on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel sighed and licked his lips to give his senses a bit of something to feel while he thought about what he was going to do now. He didn't skip a dead end for yet another dead end. He was willing to wait for it though. He acknowledged the clerk's generosity with a smiling nod and turned around. That was when he lost his willingness to wait. Willingness to wait meant he would have to notice the lone girl among the seat out of respect. It would have been funny to see a girly-man like Matiel, skin as white and soft as silk, standing there with a blank look on his face, staring at an adventuress surrounded by empty seats. It wasn't of course, to Matiel at least, when he processed the image through his mind. It was then that he noticed his being rude.

Fuck, he swore in his head, his lips refusing to part and betray his vulgar interjections. Besides, he was going to have to end his silence and begin a courteous introduction that would dispel all awkwardness anyway. He might as well dispel all anti-social leanings away for a while in his head before he would go on to greet the girl, with a smile of course.

And so he did, after several flickers of confused silence and black gazing. He would have to fix that. He knew exactly how. He suddenly feigned an expression of surprise, and crossed himself with a sigh and closed eyes, "Dear, dear me. I should have noticed you when I came in. how rude of me!"

A mild interjection, and then an expression of apologies. Next, would come the closing of space and rituals of introductions. Matiel was sure to follow the guidelines correctly, devoutly spacing the actions and their timing. He moved slowly towards the lone female and bowed an easy stoop of the head. It was just enough to nod and acknowledge the presence of another, but shallow enough to keep his eyes at the level of the girl's own, "I apologize for my manners. It appears you were here before me. My name, is Matiel Escariot, a citizen of King's Court. I introduce myself to you in hopes that we would not have to go through awkward silence as we wait for our appointments."
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"Pardon me," Azure spoke to Mercros, "But perhaps this person can help me. I would be willing to share the papers with him."

Azure turns her attention to the strange looking man, trying not to be rude by staring or making any kind of gestures that could be misconstrued. She listened to his introduction with a smile, then extended her hand. "My name is Azure Stonehand, I am also a resident here. Its a pleasure to meet you, Matiel. Can you tell me some of things you have done for the scribes' guild? I find this work absolutely fascinating. I don't read so well and if this job involves reading, I think it would be great if you came along. Unless I'm being to forward. If I am, I apologize." Azure retreats her hand carefully, blushing a bit. "I have a tendency to be passionate and overeager. I hate awkward silence also."
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"None at all, Madame," Matiel took her hand in one calm move before she withdrew, shaking it softly in recognition, "In truth I appreciate the company. As much as I dislike awkward silence, I disdain doing nothing. I'm sure a conversation with you would be better."

Matiel smiled when the girl called after Mecros to suggest his assistance. He himself was curious as to the assignment given to her. The mention of scribe work, reading, and writing offered a wonderful opportunity to him. Matiel lightened his speech and offered the lady Azure a seat, "Please, let us have a seat and I'll tell you all about what I do."

"Well, for one thing, most of the work I've done isn't really much on the scribing side but more on record keeping. I work partly as bookkeeper for my family business you see, and I'm a student enrolled in the technique at the Bardic College. Concerning the sribes guild, most of my work has something to do with records and ledgers, as practice for more professional work I intend to do once I master my classes."

"And you, Madame? I myself am a resident here, but I don't recall ever seeing you before. Well, I must have at some point, for truly you are familiar, yet I stress. I truly unfamiliar."
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Azure sat at his offering, fighting the flush that came to her cheeks for just a flicker. She was not sure she deserved the title "madame", but it made her feel respected. She listened intently to him as she sat.

"I find the bardic college a curious place," She said softly, "I find all of this curiously interesting. Record keeping must be quite a difficult thing to handle when things are busy. I couldn't imagine doing that for my father." She thought of her father and hoped business was good now she wasn't helping. "My father is a stonecutter," She began to tell her story to Matiel. "I used to help him get stone cutting jobs and helped with some jobs as I could. Its not exciting work and, quite frankly, I was bored. I wanted something more from life." She felt her passion rise again. "Didn't you ever think there was something more to life? Something exciting? An adventure?" Azure smiled. "I do. I have prayed for this opportunity for a long time. I'm glad I have someone as skilled as you to help with it. Perhaps The One brought you here to help me."
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Mercos finished the paper he was working on and called Azure. “Take this and go to the palace. Not the main entrance, but the one to the left. Show it to the guard on duty. You will be taken in to meet the Lady Anadra Baylorna. She will be the one who decides to hire you or not.”

With another annoyed glance at Matiel, Mercos continues. “You might as well go to, as there is really nothing I can offer you here today, and the Lady Baylorna is interested in anyone who can read.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"Thank you, Mercros." Azure said excitedly, forcing herself not to snatch the papers out of his hands gleefully. "I am very happy to be able to help!" She took the papers and looked at them, trying hard to read the words there. She then turned her attention to Matiel. A very broad smile crept its way onto her face. "I am excited that you are joining me, Matiel." She said with happiness in her voice. "I hope that we get hired. Don't you?"

She looked at the papers again, trying to read them as hard as she could.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Thank you, sir," Matiel tilted his head over Mecros's offer.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm sure we'll get the job," Matiel then turned to Azure and regarded her frown over the papers. He allowed her ample time to feel the paper and feel some sort of responsibility over it. Matiel didn't want to get between a potential professional and her absorption of a duty. He began to walk with her then, stealing glances over her shoulder to look at the words she was trying to understand. Seeing her face still caged by the difficulty, Matiel offered to, " Would you mind if I take a look Ma'am?"
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"It's so frustrating to me. I would love to give them to you." She said as she handed the papers to Matiel. "I appreciate all of your help." She had barely realized she had begun walking with them in her hands. "I'm sorry, I don't want to seem 'stingy' over the papers, I just want to try my best at this job. I am sure glad you came along with me. You seem very kind."
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Matiel has little more in the way of success reading than did Azure, as both are on about the same level. Mercos has a very strong and flowing hand when it comes to writing, even though he is not necessarily the neatest person with a quill.

There is an address that is the palace, as well as there names, a time, and the name of Lady Baylorna as the sponsor. There is also a scribes guild seal affixed to the bottom, and some instructions on how to get there and for where the palace guards should direct them.

Please continue here: http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15564

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

OOC: Oops, sorry, just assumed we were already starting to walk.

IC:

"You seem very kind," she said. Already, something ticked inside Matiel's head. He replied to that statement with a smile and set his eyes back on the papers once more. He muttered a wisp of a snicker beneath his breath and offered the papers back to her.

"We're being sent to the palace library," Matiel spoke as he gestured the lady to exit before he would, "I had plans to go there myself tomorrow. It'll be quite convenient for me if we do get this job. Oh, and try to keep the papers safe. They have the scribe's seal, something in our favor if the person we're planning to work for sees it."

Matiel immediately livens up his pace as soon as she was past the threshold. He eased his steps when he reached her side and continued to speak, "You ask of the Bardic College earlier, yes? Well if you wish to continue that talk, you mind we do it as we move on to the library? Also, I have this question of my own off of you, what is it you want with that sword on your back, and that look on your eyes that says so much of excitement?"
Azure Stonehand
Civus

OOC: It's fine, I think Azure would have done that anyway. I like to go with the flow and the flow was going well.

"I want adventure, Matiel. Something better than the normal life of drudgery and work, marriage and children." Azure answered Matiel's question with a slight blush, her eyes dancing with excitement. "I want to have an adventurous life, not something dull and normal. I want to make a place in this world that is not mundane. I want people to know my name and associate it with something good and honorable. That is what I want with this sword on my back and this excitement in my heart. Haven't you ever wanted to be something special? Haven't you ever wanted to have excitement and adventure?"

Continued at: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15564
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Locked for skilling

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “KC Archive”