Attention, dirty little thieves...

This board is dedicated to both official and fun polls to prevent Banter being cluttered by the zillion questions we'd like to ask!

Moderators: saskia, Maeve, Meridiuz, Syra, Mods

Does your character use Thieves' Cant and would a written form be of any use to you?

Yes, I do, but am only interested in verbal.
10%
Yes, I do, and the written would be helpful.
30%
No, I don't use it.
60%

Total votes: 10

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Attention, dirty little thieves...

Post by Gutter Rat »

Hello, all. I was using a variant of the Hobo Signs ( http://www.slackaction.com/signroll.htm ) in a Roost thread recently and was thinking of adding a written form to the existing Thieves' Cant. Before investing a lot of time and effort on getting this ball rolling, however, I was wondering about interest.

The difference between the hobo signs and written Thieves' Cant would be the addition of 'thiefly' things like 'already been robbed', 'use tool to get in', etc - mainly written variants of some of the verbal cant. All of this using runes.

A common place to find/use such runes would be on door frames, signposts, trees, etc., Or perhaps in the bottom of a written message where the text would be nonsense "Dear Aunt Sally" gibberish and the real message would be markings in lemon juice (primitive invisible ink) or whatnot.

Anyway, that's the general idea. :) Please let me know what you think by voting and/or commenting.
Last edited by Gutter Rat on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Thieves' cant isn't only useful for pure thieves. Other shady types could use it to.

If Arnholt ever manages to recruit a new band of cultists, he'll have them using cant pretty regularly. If all goes well they might eventually develop a specialized cultists' cant in which they communicate with one another through a combination of slang, gesture, and the stabbing of non-cultists. :lol:
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

I think this is a great idea. I haven't voted as Hastarl hasn't learned thieves cant yet, but if he learns it some day, the written form would definitely add some extra flavout to being a thief.

That would also make accessing thief guilds in other cities easier, if the thieves could be guided by the runes.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

I have it... I think. *goes to check* Yup I do, the problem is outside of using it a few times IC a few years back, I haven't really had the opportunity to use it much since. I would like to see more of it used though.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com

Return to “Poll Board”