Dort Entrance Thread - Jygust 30th MT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Morg

Dort Entrance Thread - Jygust 30th MT

Post by Morg »

Dort Entrance Thread: The Golden Gates

This is the entrance to the capital of the Isle of Dort, the city that gives its name to the Duchy. Coming from the rolling green hills surrounding Dort, the impressive high stone walls made from the famous dark stone that is successfully exported because of its hardiness, creates a first impression of a fort. The visitors may wonder at the dry moat that seems to suggest that more peaceful times have come to this town now that the Great Battle is slowly fading into history.

It is the gates that proudly announce what really occupies the minds and hearts of the people of Dort. Carefully gilded in an ancient Dwarven mastery of wood and stonecutting and freshly painted as if the gates just rose from the ground yesterday, it is clear that this is the city where money talks and none are shy to exhibit their wealth.

A sign above the gates reads "Duke Von Zu Dort-Billigh welcomes you to Dort. May your visit be profitable and blessed by the lady." It hangs under the shield of the Duchy, featuring a steaming hot plate of stew after the legend how the first Duke of Dort was but a humble farmer who was wise enough to offer the Steward of Tal Alkeen his hospitality when this ruler of the Citadel returned weary from a battle.

Two guards in blue uniforms with obsessively large yellow tassels salute each visitor and with a pleasant smile ask them after their business, offering helpful information where they can. Beyond the gates, bright bunting has been hung across every street as part of the ancient festival of the Summer Solstice.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Illithane
Civus

Post by Illithane »

As Dort came into view, Illithane was able to make out the walls of the place. No doubt it was made of a material he had never seen before, and a fine one at that, it seemed. He took note of the mote no longer seeing use; clearly a reminder of darker times. As the adhiel strode ever nearer, he paused to observe the marvelous gates which stood before him. Would that he could pack the whole thing up and take it with him! Illithane figured it more prudent to get in and past the guards than running from the guards, so he turned to them at last. A quirked brow and a smirk was all he offered upon seeing the tassels, but then he remembered his own outfit. Dressed as he was in his red coat and contrasting dark blue shirt, he must have been quite the figure.

His hat came off as he neared the guards, bringing it into a great sweeping bow that exposed what little hair he had. A wide smile was on his face as he came up, and a disarming wink was given. Illithane secured his hat back atop his head before addressing the protectors of Dort. "Hail and hello, gentlemen! A fine day, is it not? I seek entrance to your fair city; might I be allowed to enter it, with cause as mercantile ambition and optimism?"

After he was done speaking, the decorations for the festivities caught Illithane's eye, reminding him that it was indeed the Summer Solstice. A tip of his head in recognition at the merry times to come - and hopefully profit - was the last thing Illithane offered the guards before waiting for their response, still with that same smile.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger glanced over to his companion as Illithane made his flamboyant request for entry. You meet all kinds in this job, you do. Roger plastered his business smile on his face and nodded to the adhiel.

"That shouldn't be a problem, sir. I just need a few more details." Roger nodded. "Your name would do for starters." He added. "And I gather you're here to try your luck as a merchant. I need to know in what you plan to trade and if you have brought any goods with you, I need to inspect them." Roger looked the adhiel over for any bulges that might speak of a smuggler.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Illithane
Civus

Post by Illithane »

"I'm glad it shouldn't be a problem or I wouldn't be here simply because I couldn't sell!" He gave a laugh when he was finished with that statement, but his expression quickly feigned a wince. "Why, are you inspecting me, sir? I'm hurt.. I truly am! The only goods I have come with are my good looks!" Illithane gave another laugh before sweeping his coat wide, revealing nothing but his longswords, tucked inside his belt. "As for what I plan to trade? Supply and demand, gents! Within the confines of the law, of course." He could have been lying about that last part, but even Illithane himself couldn't be sure. The adhiel would just have to wait and see what opportunities awaited him.

He glanced up at the sign again before answering the last question. "My name? I am called Billigh; no relation, I assure you! Is that all the information you needed?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger rolled his eyes at the name of Billigh. That was an old dodge to keep from giving your real name. The problem was that many people actually did name their children after the Duke and Duchess in hopes that some of their fortune might rub off. So the guard couldn't call them on it.

"All right, Billigh." Roger nodded. "That's all we need. Good fortune to you in Dort."

OOC: Feel free to start up a thread where you want to go next.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Rommel had been walking for quite some time and was beginning to get both tired and bored (In fact, he had been walking for maybe 20 burns maximum). I wish there was someone else around to talk to at least if I am going to wander these never ending hills for so long. No sooner did he think it, than the telltale stone battlements of a fortified city peaked over the crest of the very next hill. Finally, some good news for once. There will be people to entertain in this city, and there might even be some way for me to start trying to track down my renegade house. Just the mere thought of people to entertain sparked a chain of thought in Rommel that ultimately ended with him deciding either to play for the benefit of any people that might be outside the city and for the sake of practice.

Rommel unattached his curious weapon, if you could really grant it such an illustrious title, GLIMER from his belt and grasped its handle near the misshapen head so that with the end of the handle he could start tapping out a marching rhythm on his far too large shield strapped to his arm. Only a gnome would classify the resulting cacophony of sound as a marching beat, to most anyone else it would be better described as a curious clamor. Once when playing the same thing near a rather uptight human who called himself "The foremost musician in known history" the man had said if slowed down about 1/3 of its current pace it would prove a nice little swing jaunt.

Having been caught up in his own thoughts about his music, Rommel was quite surprised when the shadow cast by the large ornate gate encompassed the ground before him. Looking up further, he could see the not so stylish(at least have several hundred small tassels if you want to look good) guards looking curiously at him. He stopped playing, placed GLIMER back on his belt and skipped happily to the guards.

When asked about his business in Dort, that must be the name of the town, Rommel merely gestured to his shield that he had until recently been drumming on and ventured to say, "I am looking for a large barge-like boat with a house on top and an entire gnome family trapped inside that seems to have wandered off on its own."

Rommel figured this was more than adequate of a description of the situation he had found himself in and just smiled up at the really tall guards waiting for them to rush him to a place of honor so he could play for the highest ranking people in the city.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger and his mate had heard many a strange story during their stint at gate duty. Over small beers, they liked to debate which ones were the strangest and try to rank them by their own criteria of weird. From this day forward however, they would never have to argue over which story was number one for this topped them all.

"I'm sorry sir." Roger replied. "Could you repeat that please? I don't think I heard you right. I need to know your name, your occupation and your reason for entering the city."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Well here is how it goes. When I was young... So then I joined with a group of traveling musicians... Until I managed to get the shield that was so instrumental to my performance... And my stories struck a chord in my mother and made her sick for adventure, but she was not well enough to... So now the house can be navigated almost anywhere that is not too far away from a water source... When I last left I walked out, locked the door on the outside, and went about my business. But when I came back, the house was gone. It could not have been my family driving it away since the controls are on the outside... and so they are trapped inside... I never saw a reason for a way to unlock it from the inside since you can never leave, lock the house, and then need out in that order... And then I came across this place - Dort is it called?"

Rommel sucks in a large gasp of air, the first he might have taken - it was hard to tell.

"So to answer your question I am Rommel. If you want any of my nicknames, pseudonyms..." (some time later)... "pen names, or even the super secret ancient family names I will be happy to provide them. "

This last line of thought alone must have taken 5 burns or more to run through - which is impressive with how fast this little gnome talks.

"I used to introduce myself with the full formal introduction... But people kept leaving before I was finished, or knocking me out and running away, or just coming up with snide names I would have to try to remember and add to the list the next time. So now I just say that I am Rommel. And what are your names good sirs?"

Another large gasp of air, and not even slowing in the least for a response (they didn't wait for him to answer each question individually after all).

"Oh and as for my occupation, I am an inventor, an engineer, a numismatist, a "junk" dealer - although I rather do not understand why people label it junk after all it has much more uses than the things in most general stores-, a collector of..."

This continued on for quite a while longer before Rommel came to:

"and last but most certainly not least I am a professional traveler. Why else would I have a mobile house boat barge thingy."

Now it came time for the last response to the dismay of the guards.

"And that is why I am here. Because here I am. After all I am here just trying to find my house and this place probably has houses and maybe even a realtor who if I remember correctly from what one of my many many fans was telling me is a person whose entire job in life is to find people's houses. I did not think much of it at the time, since it takes quite a bit to lose a house. Now I understand why they are necessary and I need to employ one's use."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roger nodded patiently throughout this full recital and wrote down the relevant bits, namely: Rommel Gnomish inventor. Then they came back to this notion of a walking house. Were it anyone but a gnome, Roger would have suspected a joke was being played on him. As it was, Roger had heard many strange tales of the devices that came from the land of Nipponar and had to accept the possibility that he was serious.

"Well sir, I can assure you that no such house has passed by these city gates." Roger felt daft but tried to match the gnome's serious nature. "Still if it is a matter of land or houses then it is a matter of business. I suggest you try the Temple of Pecunia. If they do not have realtors, I am sure that know where they can be found." Roger nodded and stepped aside to let the gnome pass. "Good luck in your search."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”