A walk on the walls - Jygust 30, Early ET, (Trajan/Shylah)

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

A walk on the walls - Jygust 30, Early ET, (Trajan/Shylah)

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

After his conversation with Craghley, Trajan returned to Healing Hands. The day was passing into evening and he knew that Shylah would be closing up the shop about this time. He remembered keenly kissing Shylah, and wondered know whether it had been a good idea. It had felt rather like one at the time, but then, it had been an impulsive action, and thus, subject to much analysis after the fact. And Trajan had been doing a good deal of thinking and second guessing. When the shop came into sight, the young man, who had before this past tradetide had never kissed a woman, slowed and stopped as he leant against a building, watching the storefront for several long burns as he pondered.

What had she felt, he wondered, when he had kissed her? What had she felt about him before, and what did she feel now, after the fact? What would she say if he walked into the shop again, would she welcome him, or would she tell him that he had presumed too much and order him out of her presence? Some of the ideas which were racing frantically through his mind terrified him more than others, and, he had to admit that it wasn’t only the ones where she sent him away that twisted his heart and his guts into knots.

“Well,” He said to himself resolutely, “there is only one way to find out how this plays out.” With a heavy sigh he pushed himself off the building he had been leaning against and crossed the square back to the shop. “And if it has to be done, then let it be done sooner rather than later, before there is no more time.” Trajan pushed the door to the shop open widely and called out.

“Shylah,” he said as he stood in the door, “if you’ve closed up, I thought we might go for a walk along the wall and talk.” He said it in sort of a rush so as to get it out before he lost his nerve.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah had just finished tidying up the exam room when she heard Trajan’s voice. After folding and putting away a blanket, the fiery-haired woman closed the closet door and stood before the green curtain at the doorway, motionless for a few flickers. She hadn’t seen Trajan since he had kissed her, and now, here he was, out in the waiting room asking for her company on a walk. Putting her fingers to her lips, she could still feel the warm sensation it had caused earlier. It was a strange feeling. Something that was all too new to the achadhiel healer.

“Be right there,” she replied in a slightly, shaky tone.

Pulling back the green curtain, Shylah emerged from the exam room, into the hallway and out into the waiting area where she greeted Trajan with a warm smile. It had been a long day, and getting out for a walk sounded like a wonderful idea to the young woman. The only thing that played upon her mind was what Trajan may be wanting to speak to her about. Maybe he regretted what happened earlier or maybe he didn't? Butterflies were now forming in the pit of her stomach at a rapid pace as she made her way over to the fireplace, throwing a small bucket of water in to extinguish the flames.

“I could use the fresh air,” she smiled, making her way to where the tall man stood. If it wasn't so dark in the shop, Trajan might have been able to see Shylah's face turning a slight shade of pink.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Civus

When Shylah came into the main room of the shop, which served as a reception area, she was smiling. And the failing light of day washed the room a pale ochre, which accentuated Shylahs flaming tresses and caused her eyes to take on an ethereal glow. Trajan felt his breathe catch in his throat at the same time that his heart surged upward in his chest. Though he tried, he couldn’t stifle the gasp which leaked from his body like air from a ruptured balloon. Fortunately, Shylah had just thrown a bucket of water onto the fire which had been used all day to heat tea, the hiss of steam covered his gasp nicely.

“I could use the fresh air.” She said as she crossed the distance between the fireplace and where Trajan himself stood. He had, by this time recovered from, well, he couldn’t define what it had been, but he was recovered, and strangely, was smiling. The expression felt odd, for he did it so infrequently, but it was there all the same. He had only before been so glad to see someone once, and that man had been Ulder when he had save Trajans life. That he could explain, but the strange things that Shylah Boyd made him feel he had never felt before, and he didn’t know what to do with them, even if she had saved his life after a different fashion But he did know that she and he would be going for a walk.

“And I could use your company.” He said simply, as he offered her his hand, open and palm up. “The sunsets are particularly beautiful from the walls.” He added, whether or not Shylah took the hand he was offering. “Shall we go?”
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

When Trajan offered Shylah his hand, she could feel her heart beating faster. After less than a flicker, she calmed herself and smiled, placing a tiny hand upon his. The touch of his hand on hers sent a slight shiver throughout her body, as she turned her gaze out the doorway. The sun was starting to sink, and if a beautiful sunset was to be seen with this man, then she would gladly go.

“Ready whenever you are,” she smiled at the tall man, “I would love to see this beautiful sunset.”

All the while she spoke, Shylah felt the butterflies in her stomach rapidly increase in number as she took the shop key out of a small pouch that clung to her side, with her free hand, “I just need to lock up the shop.”

If they would exit the shop, Shylah would use her free hand to close the door behind them, and lock the door with ease. Returning the key to the pouch, Shylah returned her gaze to Trajan, finding that she was thinking again of his kiss. Blushing again, Shylah looked away and watched any that passed them by. Whatever it was that this man was making her feel, Shylah had never known it before, nor did she want it to stop.
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it."
-Tori Amos
Civus

After a brief pause so that Shylah could lock up their shop, for it was theirs, though there had been no official word of any sort, the Trajan and she set off through the city, angling toward the walls on the western side. Trajan had oft favored the walls with his presence, preferring their relative openness and wilderness and freedom to the cloying press of paranoia which permeated the populace entire of Pax Balthasar. This visit was of course different, as on his usual visitations he was alone. He clutched Shylahs hand in his own and the feeling it engendered was unlike anything he had encountered, similar in fashion though not in sensation to that which he felt when he gripped the ghost legionnaire’s sword.

The trek to the walls and the climb to their summit passed in relative silence, as Trajan at the least was attempting to formulate something reasonable to say. Though he couldn’t for his life come up with anything. So when at last he came to the spot he had been intending to bring Shylah too, one which afforded an unparalleled view out of the farmlands which surrounded the city out to the forests beyond, and at the edge of what could be seen unaided, the rising Howling Ice mountains. The sun was slipping slowly down behind those imposing peaks, and the sky was splashed in brilliant hues of crimson and lavender. As the burns passed, and the pair stood in companionable silence watching the day pass into evening, Trajan said the only thing he could.

“Shylah Boyd,” he turned his gaze down to meet hers. “I think I should very much like to kiss you again.” He smiled briefly. “If you shouldn’t mind overmuch.”
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Once it was obvious that they had arrived at the spot Trajan had intended on taking her, Shylah glanced briefly in the man’s direction wondering what was going through his mind.

After a flicker, she looked out over the lands below and out to the mountains. Shylah couldn’t help but marvel at all of the beauty. Yes, Trajan was right, the sunsets were indeed beautiful from here. Obviously, he had watched this before on numerous occasions. What a peaceful place to come. It was almost like a painting to the young woman. And the strangest thing of it all, was how sharing such a beautiful thing was bringing out the feelings she tried so hard to suppress over the last month.

“Shylah Boyd,” he turned his gaze down to meet hers. “I think I should very much like to kiss you again.” He smiled briefly. “If you shouldn’t mind overmuch.”

Looking up at Trajan, Shylah’s heart began to pound against her chest yet again, and she couldn’t hide the smile the crept across her face. All sorts of emotions started to course throughout the tiny woman, as she said the only thing she could, “ I would welcome it.”
-Tori Amos
Civus

Trajan felt what a more imaginative man might have called an emotional sunrise when Shylah said that she would welcome another kiss from him. The brief smile that had etched his features flickers was write large across them at those words, and the young man wasted no time. Shylah was, undeniably a good deal shorter than he was, which meant that he was forced to bend a good deal to get his lips to hers. This coupled with his relative inexperience and the cocktail of adrenaline and nerves which had him wound as tightly as a violin string, conspired to very nearly cause him to miss his mark. It took a few additional flickers for the two to get in synch, but for all that, the kiss was something else.

Trajan had never kissed a woman on the mouth before this previous tradetide, and so had no technique or skill to speak of. However he was desperately, zealously in love with the tiny achadheil, although, even now, with the very emotion fueling a powerful, magical kiss, he couldn’t call it that to himself. Despite that, for his part, the kiss was momentous. Not only because it was a first, but because of the pent up emotion which seemed to flow from each of the participants into the other. It moved from him to her and back, seeming to build each time until it reached a climax which left the former legionnaire gasping for air, his forehead pressed against hers, his eyes closed and his breathing heavy.

“Wow,” he managed to say between gulps of air, “wow.” It was all that he could think to say in the face of what had happened.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

It would have been a lie to say that Shylah never thought about romance and relationships prior to this moment, but growing up; she never dwelled on the thought. To Shylah, she had more important things to worry about. From taking care of her brothers, to helping her parents in their bakery, getting an education, and more presently, running the shop. However, ever since the day Trajan risked his life for hers, she started to feel something towards the man, as well as thinking a little more about romance and relationships than she use to.

However, she wasn’t sure then what exactly she felt towards him until the weeks turned into months. In what she thought was a high gratitude for him, Shylah discovered that something bigger and much stronger, lie deep within her heart.

When his lips met with hers, Shylah could have died right there a happy woman. If this was the way those lovers felt as they strolled, hand and hand down the Pax streets, every eveningtide in front of Healing Hands, then Shylah didn’t want this moment to end.

However, once the kiss came to a reluctant end, with their foreheads pressed against one another’s, Shylah found herself gasping for air as well. Could they really have been kissing each other for that long? With a smile, Shylah found herself placing a tiny hand against Trajan’s cheek, rubbing it softly with her thumb.

“Wow, indeed,” she giggled softly, unsure of what to say next and afraid of ruining the moment, "I have to confess something to you...."

"I have longed to be right here in this moment...with you."
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Tori Amos
Civus

Shylahs touch was light, but for some reason it made Trajan’s skin burn. And the kiss they had shared, he could taste her, even after their lips had separated. Chamomile and honey. Her favorite tea. Suddenly Trajan found it to be his favorite too, though he usually only drank it late at night before he tried to get to bed, it helped to relax his body and therefore quiet his coughing fits.

“I have to confess something to you...” Shylah said as she caressed his cheek watching him with longing plain in her gray eyes and written all over her delicate features. “I have longed to be right here in this moment with you.” A happy sigh escaped Trajan a flicker before he responded.

“And I have wanted to be here with you.” Trajan said, as he brushed the fingers of one hand across her cheek and down to her neck, while he gripped her shoulder with the other. “But the question now,” he continued, as he looked up and away from Shylahs face for the first time in burns to take in the night sky. “is where do we go from here?”
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

It relieved Shylah to hear that Trajan longed for this moment as well. With a grin, she too looked to the nighttime sky and sighed. The stars were beginning to shimmer in the violet sky, like millions of diamonds . For a moment, she felt like they would become lost in the vastness of it all. Returning her gaze to Trajan with a thoughtful stare, she thought his question over in her mind.

Where do they go from here? Yes, that was a very good question and Shylah wasn’t sure for she had never been at this point with a man. This being the first man who has ever made her feel this way, Shylah wasn’t sure what to do with her emotions. Was he feeling the same? Shylah didn’t know.

“I suppose we continue on like always,” Shylah replied after a long moment of silence, “Of course there will be some obvious differences. Perhaps, we see where this newly opened door leads us.”

“I wouldn’t have any objections with that,” she continued, looking back over the farm lands, her stomach twisting and turning into knots, “What do you think?”
-Tori Amos
Civus

“Neither would I.” Trajan said softly in response to Shylahs answer. “Neither would I. It’s what I would have wished for, had I ever.” The young man continued to gaze up at the stars which had begun to appear overhead. For, as well as things had gone, he was suddenly wracked with guilt. It was true that Shylah might now know how he felt about her, but she didn’t know what had finally caused him to reveal it, and she certainly didn’t know that when he left her this next time, it might be the last time she ever saw him. Slowly, Trajan pulled Shylah against him, wrapping her up in his arms out of a sudden, desperate need to hold her. He sighed happily when she came to rest against him, and he caressed her back as he held her.

“Shylah,” He said, speaking to the air behind her as he clung to her. “I have something to tell you. But I’m not sure how to begin.” He pulled back slightly so that he could look at her, and for a burn he forgot what he had been intending to say because of the way Shylah was looking at him. He had meant to say something, had meant to tell her something, it had seemed important. Until she had looked at him like that that way that a woman looks at a man when she’s in love with him. And in that flicker, Trajans mind lost all sense of coherency.

“I...” he began, his breathe catching in his throat. “I... think I love you.” He gasped at last, thought it wasn’t what he had meant to say. But what he had meant to say suddenly didn’t seem to matter. He kissed her again, unaware of the tears which were rolling down his face as their lips met again, and the stars, unblinking, looked on impassively.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

“I too, feel the same,” Shylah replied after she broke away from Trajan’s kiss, looking up at him with worry and concern, wiping the tears from his eyes, “Forgive me, but I don’t understand what the tears are for.”

A worry line appeared between her brows, as she continued to look at him. Whatever could be the reason for the tears? Sighing sadly, Shylah knew that there was something else he wanted to say to her, for she could read it in his eyes. Her instincts told her that whatever it was, it couldn't be good.

Placing a small hand behind his head, Shylah toyed with his hair gently, and replied straight-faced, “There is more you wish to tell me, isn’t there? You should know by now that it is impossible to hide things from me, Trajan.”
-Tori Amos
Civus

“My dearest Shylah,” he began, thickly, as he gazed into her loving eyes. “that I should choose this moment to tell you of my feelings is unintentionally cruel.” He lifted his gaze toward the heavens once more and drew a few shuddering breathes before he continued. “Do you know what day it is?” Regardless of Shylahs answer, he continued after allowing her to reply. “It is the Summer Solstice, hence, the festival. And I hope that you intend to enjoy it.” He paused to draw another breathe but pushed on before allowing her to interrupt. “But I won’t be with you tonight. I have something else I have to do.” Trajan heard her protest beginning and he bent his head back so that the pair were once again eye to eye. “Shh.” He said, putting on finger over her lips. “Just let me say this please? So you’ll understand.” He waited for her eyes to let him know that she would comply and so he continued.

“You know I was once a Pax Honestus Legionnaire. Once, several months ago, I ran into a small achadheil girl who gave me her name as Laewin.” The image of the little girl covered in blood sprang to mind immediately, despite the disturbing image, he continued with his story, feeling compelled by some power to speak while he had time. “She wasn’t what she appeared to be, as I have since learned. I was standing on this very wall after I was off duty one night. I was just coming down from watching the moonrise when I heard a cry of despair. I, perhaps foolishly, rushed to the scene, as best I could pin point it, to try to render aid. But by the time I arrived, the man was dead, and his body was mutilated that I did not recognize it until later, much later and much too late as well. I did however, find the little achadheil girl. She was covered in blood and apparently terrified, and asked for my protection, which I gave. I was in the act of purveying her to a safer and less.. disturbing locality when what I assumed to be a fellow Legionnaire approached me in the gathering fog of the evening. He was not however, strictly speaking, a legionnaire and he and I quarreled over the girl, and it came at last to blows.” Trajan paused now to gauge Shylahs reaction to what he was telling her, then continued.

“He was a ghost. And my weapons could not harm him, but his weapon,” and here Trajans hand strayed to the longsword strapped to his back, “seemed more than capable of harming me, for it dealt terrific blows upon my shield. After a brief exchange, both physical and verbal, Laewin ran off into the darkness, and the figure, who I then recognized as the man I had so recently found murdered, professed having failed in his mission to kill the girl, and gave the charge to me. Since then I have not seen her, though I have hunted for her nightly as you know. But I was recently given a vision, by what entity I do not know, that Laewin and her pet, which if you haven’t guessed is the creature which has lead to the rumors of wolves in the streets, would return to the city on the summer solstice. Tonight.” Trajan turned then to look out over the city for a few flickers before he swept Shylah up in a fierce embrace and kissed her soundly, holding it for as long as he could manage before he set her back down and spoke once more.

“It is a sad thing, that I must leave you now that you know how I feel, but I must destroy Laewin if I can, and I am one of a very select few who even know of her. I have to try. ”Use it to kill her, or more will die.” Did you pass a cross on a hill when you followed Ulder and I and the others into the hills? Did you leave an offering at it? Did it speak to you? That’s what it told me.” Trajans eyes were locked on Shylahs, and pleading was carved into his face as with a chisel. He wanted her to understand, he needed her too, but if she couldn’t... things had to be this way. He would have Hubert and Sasradil come to the shop to protect her and the other trainees, it was the best he could do. It was all he could do. He waited.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

Shylah listened to Trajan speak, concerned now more than ever for his well-being. She understood what he was telling her for the most part, but what she didn’t understand made tears form in her gray eyes, at a rapid pace. What happiness she had felt only moments before faded away into worry and despair. The tiny healer had faith in Trajan’s fighting skills, but knew that his health wasn’t where she had liked for it to be. She didn’t understand this Laewin character at all, and didn’t like the sound of her and her pet either. The situation sounded scary to say the least.

“Yes, I passed the cross on the hill,” Shylah replied sadly, looking into his eyes, “I placed a small flower at the foot of it, and it told me, “ Hurry, he has need of your skills. I knew the moment I saw you that it spoke of you.”

A silent tear rolled down Shylah’s cheek, as she looked away in a failed attempt to hide it, “So, our feelings are now out in the open, and after this, I may never see you again?” Shylah didn’t wait for Trajan to respond, she knew the answer and so she continued, still looking out over the wall, “This is a lot to take in, I admit. I…I honestly don’t know what to think, say or do. Who are you protecting by risking your life? surely there is something at stake here.”

Sighing, she turned back to the man who now held her heart, wishing for nothing more but to stay in this moment forever. Wrapping her arms around his waist, Shylah laid her head against his chest and knew that there was probably nothing she could do to deter him from his mission. It was a hopeless thought all in its own.

“I will be in my shop the remainder of the evening and gravetide. I will busy myself making preparations for anything you may need should you return to me,” she said as another tear fell from her eye, “We must not speak like this is the last time we will see one another, for we know not what the future holds.”

“When you go off to destroy this person and her pet, remember that my love is within you. May it act as a shield, if anything,” she said, now looking up at him again with a sad smile, “I will wait for your return. I have a faith in you.”
Last edited by Shylah Boyd on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Tori Amos
Civus

“I will wait for your return.” Shylah said, a slow sad smile spreading across her delicate face as she spoke. “I have faith in you.” Sweeter words, Trajan Aeneas had never heard, and though he felt all the things Shylah was feeling, love, fear for any number of reasons, excitement and anxiety. It was certainly an intoxicating and unsettling cocktail. Trajan smiled to hear those words, and it was the sort of open pure smile which hadn’t graced his face before. It felt strange, but a good many things about this experience were feeling strange. They were also feeling wonderful. Tenderly, he wiped the tears from Shylahs cheeks.

“You asked who I am protecting with this risk.” He asked her, watching for her to respond somehow. “And I answer. You.” Shylahs confusion was plain, but Trajan didn’t leave her to wonder at his remark longs. “Laewin has so far, show a penchant for killing only followers of the One God. Like you are and I was.” After a burn to let that sink in, Trajan continued. “But while I live, you’ll not be hurt, and if I can manage it, I’ll see Laewin and her pet destroyed. Your love Shylah,” He paused to press a gentle tender kiss to her lips before concluding, “will be the stoutest armor she has ever encountered, for I am certain that a creature such as she either never knew, or does not recall it’s sweetness. But you are right. We must not speak as if this will be our last time together, for the future is not ours to know.” Then Trajan kissed her soundly, putting all of the months of pent up emotion and his hopes for a better future with the diminutive achadhiel into it. The kiss was long and the sweetest he had ever endured. When at last it was broken, the young human concluded, “Never have I been more ready than now to do what I must. I love you. Think of me, and keep me in your heart, and I will return when I can.”

ooc: Fin for me
Last edited by Trajan Constantine Aeneas on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shylah Boyd
Civus

Post by Shylah Boyd »

The final kiss was the longest the two had shared thus far, and Shylah found all of her emotions, all of her dreams and those of the uncertain future being forced into it. When at long last the kiss had ended, she looked at him as he spoke to her, telling her what may very well be the last words he will ever say to her. Taking in a long, deep breath, Shylah studied Trajan, taking in every detail and every word. If something terrible were to happen to him, she wanted to remember him just like this. A treasured memory she would carry with her all the days of her life, and that was something not even Laewin or her pet could take away from her, nor anyone for that matter.

With a sad smile, Shylah placed a small hand upon Trajan’s chest just to feel the beating of his heart beneath it. In her mind, she silently told him, please come back to me.

“As your place with always be,” Shylah replied now looking him in the eye, “Within my heart.”

ooc: End for me :D
-Tori Amos
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Locked for archiving etc

Return to “The Baron Estates”