To Begin Again (Jygust 30 eMT: the Downs)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Calron wrote:"Yes, what are the dimensions of your caravans? How much weight can they carry? Will you be charging based on weight, space or a combination of the two? Will you need to know the contents of cases you're moving? How often do you intend on making this round trip?" His alert blue eyes lifted from the parchment. "Let's address those first before continuing."

Distracted by his inspections, Sando jumped slightly at mention of his name. Scrambling to recall the questions, he eased into his sales pitch. He began by answering the questions about specific capacity. The available weight limit he knew off the top of his head, as he had been expecting the question. However, bulky items had not yet been an issue and no customer had previously inquired as to the specific dimensions of the wagons. Quickly yanking his notes from his pocket as if to mimic the interesting man before them, Sando spouted off the second answer with confidence. He then moved on to the third question,

"Concernings our fee, Sir... We have establishing different rates and methods of calculation for different clients. Generally we charge by size with no limit on the weight until it becomes too much of a burden on our animals and therefores on the other clients."

Pondering the question about knowing the contents of the goods, Sando tried hard to resist a small frown. They had been thus far shipping rakes and shovels. The last thing the halfling wanted was trouble.

"Regardings privacy... We do ask to knowing the contents of the goods specifically for purposes of insurance. We are responsible for the deliveries of any goods we taking on to the caravan. Therefore, we like to know what it is that we are dealings with. If special arrangements need to be made, you would have to talking with Matiel."

Finally, Sando went on to address the last of the first series of questions with a smile. "We fully intends on making this business grow and expand. We envision a great future whereins our wagons will be tracking back and forth across the Western Kingdoms like ants in searches of food for the colony. For now though, I would assumes that we will be leaving for a third trip as soon as we are backs in the capital... perhaps giving ourselves a two or three week break for reorganizings."
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

He liked the man. He knew everything that he was supposed to ask.

Amidst all that fluff, Matiel saw someone who knew what he was doing and how to do it well. His clothing clashed with that thought though. Matiel had a flicker to appreciate him, but all thoughts after that wondered why he was dressed as such. Was the mean really as eccentric as that? From the tone of his voice, to the air he carried about him, Matiel could almost see a stooge. If so, this man could be someone else's agent, or: a representative of several individuals.

Matiel waited for Sando to finish before he added:

"Sir, I assure you. The group is fully capable and has prepared for all problems that may arise during this trip. We also have agreements in writing, prepared specifically to protect the client from lost goods and breaches in general."

Matiel kept his words to a level tone, with his hand gesturing out his points while being supported from the elbow with his forearm which was placed to his abdomen.

"On the matter of our prices and special agreements, may I ask first whether you are here representing yourself, or maybe you are here as an agent of both yourself and/or others?"

"Other than that, concerning the question of goods, we charge according to not only of weight and dimensions, but also of it's value. If the items you are entrusting to us are...of high value, we will charge accordingly with an increase."

"The higher the value of the items or item we are protecting, the higher the risk we run of defending it. Also, we serve our clients according to who hired us first. We will have scheduled trips in the future, with appointments made on journey times and such."

"Also, concerning certain items that might prove dangerous to the group if the job is taken, an special understand will have to be sought between the clients and our group. Without that, we approve nothing. Included into this would be the understanding that all items must be accounted for not only in number but also definition to us."
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"Then you intend on paying the bridge taxes - I was wondering after your expenditures," he said to answer the question that Haikan had not asked. The Captain of the adventure easily answered the questions offered to him, and thus Calron found his attention diverted to the short fellow next to him.

After Sando finished, the green-clad gentleman gave a short laugh. "I hadn't expected your minute friend to be so informative," he said to Haikan, as if Sando were more like a pet monkey reciting facts rather than the important member of their team. Mathias paused in his scribing of notes at this point, and offered the halfling a sad sort of look of compassion and understanding. Some people could be harshly judgemental, particularly in this time in King's Court. The apprentice looked at his master, and started to write his responses without missing a beat.

It was toward Matiel Calron's crisp blue eyes wandered next. "As I mentioned earlier, I represent several patrons who could not make it to your meeting today." There was annoyance in his tone, as if the young gloved man had not been paying attention, when really Matiel had not yet seen fit to meander over to catch that part of his introduction. "We have things of value to ship, but not by means of portal. We require no insurance if you require no list of wares and allow three men to go on the journey to act as guards of our products who will later be delivering the goods to the prospective clients," he said swiftly, while tucking away his notes. "We will have three crates, but they will be weighty. The men I send will not be capable of moving the trunks on their own, and would need assistance in loading them off onto their own wagons, particularly the final one in Pax," he said.

Calron surveyed them for their response.

Meanwhile, three horsemen were trotting up the trail toward the tree and meeting spot. They were dressed as merchants, with a tanned moustached man in the lead, his portly counterparts falling slightly behind.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Indeed master Haymaker is a genius. We are lucky to have him aboard our staff, for this company would not be possible without his intuitiveness." The young elf chimed in his praise for the halfling without realizing how condescending Calron had been. "...And about the bridge fare, worry not. The tax is quite miniscule in comparison to our current budget." Two very green eyes narrowed a bit when Calron mentioned that he wished not to list his wares. A smile masked Haikan's dislike for this notion and he continued.

"Sir, it is for the safety of our patrons, ourselves, and the goods being shipped that we ask for that list." He raised his eyebrows and assisted his notion by talking as much with his hands as he did with his larynx. "We promise ultimate confidentiality, one of contract. This confidentiality legally protects your information from even the government itself. We tell no one what we ship. It is extremely important for us to know what we ship, for several reasons." He explained his ideas clearly and diplomatically, in a truly sincere tone.

"First of all, it is for the safety of the goods. In dire circumstances and pressing conditions that may arise in land travel, I will need to be able to calculate how to optimally defend the goods and the patrons without damaging any merchandise. Second, we need to know if we are trasporting anything dangerous, so that it may be treated carefully and accordingly. I'm sure you understand my reasoning, good sir."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis knew that he was running late. In fact, it had taken a substantial effort to wake up that morningtide at all. The previous night, he'd been up well into the gravetide with his face buried in some dusty tome from which he'd gleaned little of immediate use. This had become part of a nigh-daily ritual over the past three months. Nevertheless, Anistis had managed to drag himself out of bed, hastily don his proper vestments, and make his way to the Downs.

As he approached, the young acolyte saw quite the gathering under the tree that had been designated as the meeting place. As he caught sight of Haikan, who was speaking to a man Anistis did not know, he couldn't help but wonder why exactly the adhiel had invited him to this gathering in the first place; he didn't have a head for business and didn't see how he could be of much use.

This had become maybe the primary frustration for Anistis in recent weeks. Everything he was involved in- the search for the Codex, the fragmentation of the Mother Church, the turmoil and questions of authority in King's Court- threatened to overwhelm the young man, and he worried that he was of little use, not only to those with whom he was technically in business, but to Lady Debrona, King's Court, the Church, or anyone. One entered in service to the Church- or at least, Anistis had- primarilly to serve the One God and to help others. If he could not be of any real use, then what good was he?

He pushed these thoughs from his mind, though, as he approached the party gathered under the tree. He waved by way of greeting, and anyone could notice as he came closer the dark, heavy bags under his eyes that were rather incongruous with the acolyte's boyish face.

"Good morningtide, everyone; I'm very sorry I'm late," he said, and the weight of sleep still lingered in his voice. He extended a hand to Haikan, and began to ask if there was any need of his assistance when he noticed that the adhiel was still in the middle of a conversation and fell silent, a sheepish look on his face as he took to studying the sky above.
Last edited by Anistis on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Nothing dangerous, son," Calron said to Haikan, and looked over to Anistis. The ever-growing crowd wasn't most accomodating for the discussion considering the merchant's hesitance in disclosing the items he planned to ship via their caravan. "Personal possesions, mostly... perhaps you can understand the delicacy involved and the discretion I'm searching for. People's lives will depend on these crates, and their arrival in their final destinations is of the utmost importance - hence the additional guards," Calron said.

The middle man sought another piece of parchment folded within his doublet. Unfolding it he looked over his shoulder to give a side-long glance to the dismounting horsemen who were already being intercepted by Calron's own carriage assistants. He cleared his throat. "Many of the items are listed here, but I ask you to burn this manifesto as soon as you are able and do not retain it nor place it with the crates."

Calron handed over the neatly folded sheet to Haikan.

A well executed hand wrote:Crate 1
Coinage
Jewelry
Dowry
Deeds
Titles

Crate 2
Art
Silverware
Geodes
Books
Alchemical Supplies (misc metals)
Lead Orbs

Crate 3
Jewelry
Loose gems
Silver
Tools
Gold

Calron seemed unnerved by the presence of Anistis, his flamboyant attitude calmed. "And the church, do you tell them of your goods?" He shot icy blue eyes toward the acolyte before returning to Haikan, Matiel and Sando. "Perhaps we can discuss rates for this transaction?"

Meanwhile, behind Calron, his carriage attendents were speaking with the horsemen, though the conversation seemed light much like the idle banter while waiting in line at a grocery stand. They were distracting the other merchants from approaching until their master was done with them.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"The church is not involved with this trade. My good friend Anistis is considering coming along, but he would be just a patron traveler with safe passage." Haikan assured Calron. He read the list several times and he spent a burn memorizing it as if it were a map of a far-off land. As soon as he had fully memorized it he handed it to Sando. "Sando please memorize this and then promptly burn it." The elf returned his attention to Calron and nodded his head. "This is a good list, we will guard these items as our own. This is our promise to all of our patrons." A pleasant smile concluded this claim, and the elf looked over to Anistis.

"Welcome and good morningtide Anistis. Have you decided whether or not to join us for passage throughout the kingdom?"
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"I believe I will join, barring any extenuating circumstances that might pop up today," Anistis told Haikan. "There are some things I think I should share with you, if we can speak privately later in the day, but at some point I need to return to the Basilica."

Anistis turned his gaze to Calron. He wondered why the man was so worried about the involvement of the Church, but dismissed the suspicions forming in his mind; this cult business had him jumping at shadows.

"Sir, I apologize if I've upset you. You have my word that I have no reason to report something private like that to my superiors at the Basilica unless there were cause, and if Haikan is confident that your goods are legitimate, then so am I.

"So," Anistis said, turning his attention back to Haikan, "Is there anything you'd like me to do while we're here, or should I just relax while you and Calron finish up?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"And issues with our personal guards - will that be a problem? If so, they can be paid for like proper passengers, though they shall remain with whatever wagon is retaining our crates of goods. This is a security measure I have promised to my patrons, you see - and it is non-negotiable." Calron looked over his shoulder to where his assistants were still conversing, then turned back to face the ever-growing group. "And one not even need to know that they are guards, if that is an issue - they will be dressed in plain clothes, not uniformed."

"I should not wish to waste any of your time - any of you gentlemen, so if there are no other issues - where do I sign and what time and where ought I have the crates brought?" Calron was prepared to shake all their hands, even Anistis', after the transaction was cleared, and then departed, his men moving to the carriage before he'd even reached it. The door was opened for him, and once he was settled, they departed toward the city again.

The small group of merchant men stepped forward, their faces showing stoic calmness.

OOC: With the success of the meeting with Calron, I will grant you success with this following group as well! Yay! Their shipment for Brie:
Merchant Manifesto wrote:5 bolts white cotton
7 bolts cotton - misc colors
4 bolts raw sheeps wool
10 rolls linen - misc colors
2 crates silk ribbon - misc colors
If you guys want to partake in some character interaction that's a-ok with me! Let me know if you need any moderator assistance! Otherwise, I can close this out. Your call.

Quite satisfied with their deal the weavers left the company of the Terra West Trading boys and headed on down the road on their horses, and were out of ear-shot within a matter of burns, though still within eyesight. They were the Oilson Weavers, named so because of it being their surname, and it turned out the mustached man in the lead was the father to the two portly sons that flanked him.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel smiled and watched them go. He hoped that the proceeds of this endeavor once it was over would be enough to further up the ladder of wealth. There were to be plans in motion, matters ascertained, and men trained. But even if that was the case, much was left to be learned. Matiel had some doubts, recurring doubts, that haunted him whenever his thoughts moved him onward.

Alas, now was not the time for such buzzkilling thoughts. He had more nights to ponder on his problems. Things were beginning, looking up hard into the sky, waiting to grab it.

"Terra West Trading," Matiel whispered to himself before he continued, "Our next order of business, I believe, is to mark everything we own with Terra West Trading."

He chuckled a bit on that joke, remembering another facet of his problems. He pushed that thought away from his mind and faced his partners after seeing the clientele leave them.

"Let's go and celebrate then, I'm pretty sure we're all done here. I'll just frame up some documents, ready some other things, and meet you all at our usual haunt."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Right, Terra West Trading, then. It is decided." Haikan grinned at the catchy sound of it. Terra West Trading... And maybe someday it could be Tazlure Trade... The elf was very excited for the caravan. Soon after the unwealthy were included in the area of trade, travel and communication, the states would finally all get along. At least that was his hope. He took a deep breath of the cool morning air, and he sighed with relief. We're finally ready, for our destiny.

He turned his attention to Anistis. "My friend Anistis. If you are to be coming with us, perhaps you should practice your skills of self defense." He pulled one of his two foils from his back and handed it to Anistis. "If you like, this evening you could join Micah Guldor to get a feel for the blade. Take note that I am not saying you ever have to hurt anybody, but there are orcs and bandits out there who want to slaughter those we ride with, and having the skill to defend yourself cannot be bad."
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Self defense you say?" Matiel chuckled to himself as he approached his assistant to check the minutes he had taken of this meeting. He glanced over them quickly, making a quick note of the general idea concerning the men he had met today.

"Mathias, remind me to talk to you later."

Matiel then turned once more to Haikan and continued, "If you notice, me and my assistant here aren't that formidable ourselves. Maybe we could turn this into a session including both of us. And, as I understand, you are the only here who actually knows how to hold his ground in a fight. I find it unwise for the rest of us to continue on as such. Maybe we could all get those pointers."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

With a degree of reluctance, Anistis took the sword from Haikan. The closest he'd ever come to fighting was swinging a stick around in an effort to fend off imaginary monsters. Once he'd knocked over a very delicate vase that his father had just completed doing that; it was the last time he'd ever played inside.

The idea of actually taking up arms against another, orcs and bandits or no, was unsettling to Anistis. For all the times he'd daydreamed about being a great warrior in service to Dominicus, he'd never seriously entertained the idea of being in a real fight. Nevertheless...

"You're both right, I suppose," he said, addressing both Haikan and Matiel. "If we're to defend the goods and our companions, this might prove necessary. I'm sure a few training sessions would be in order." Besides, Anistis thought, I'd be a fool to think that I'm facing a subversive cult that will never attack me if I get too close.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very well, both of you can meet with Micah tonight the mark prior of our celebration in the tavern. The merriment will still be there when you've arrived, since any good training session would run you late."

Haikan grinned and he pulled out his other foil, giving it to Matiel. He'd never walked around without at least one practice sword before, but he had plenty left over at his house. "You can keep those, as we'll undoubtedly train our abilities while we take breaks with the caravan... We don't want to get rusty, after all!" With that he winked at Matiel and he maintained his whimsical smile as he looked down to Sando. If he wanted to join them Haikan would have to grab him a foil from back at his house.

"I don't suppose you would want to join them, would you?"
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"Oh no. No no no. I don't think that would being the most efficients expenditure of my energies," the halfling responded without pause. For there was much work to be done before the company made its second trip a reality. At least there was a lot to do in the mind of a super-plotter like Sando.

The halfling flushed slightly with an embarrassed red tinge and another reason for his bowing out of the practice session became apparent to any who may be paying close attention. "Besides, I'm sure there will be many opportunities for me to practicing with my sling along the route. Game birds are making a delicious treat while traveling in rough country, after all."

Sando smiled, his cheeks having returned to their usual color.

I may not be a master of the sword, but let's see one of them launch a rock and knock dinner over the head.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Mathius nodded. I imagine I'll remind you when I see you, sir, he thought to himself, already having picked up some of Matiel's cynicism over the past few weeks of spending most of his time with his generally cold and unsympathetic master. Thankfully, he has not lost his clear eye for efficiency with it. He tucked the minutes away into a bound folder that was basically the shell of an old book - the pages of with had been removed thanks to the contents theirin. It was a memoire of some pagan, though Mathius had dyed the leather until black so that it was a plain ledger. It was, perhaps, his most treasured item as he'd made it himself as testament to his own utilitarian style.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very well, in case we don't cross paths again today, I shall see you all on the first mark of tomorrow's morningtide!"

Captain Verida waved to the crew, and he began to walk back toward the city, ready to train his soldiers in tactics and teamwork. So far this has gone very well. The revenue from these customers will be vastly more than enough to triple the size of the company when we return! And, the bigger the company gets, the more effective we can become at spreading peace throughout the kingdom. He grinned. This was going to be a good day.

This was going to be a good journey.

OOC: We're ready to tie a nice little bow on this thread.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

SKILLS:

Sando
Business Perception: +**
Language [common] +**
Native Craft [marketing] +*

Haikan
Business Perception: +**
Conversation: +*
NEW SKILL! Native Craft [marketing]: basic (not just for halflings any more!)

Matiel
Business Perception: +*
Conversation: +*
Native Craft [plotting] +*

Anistis
NEW SKILL! Inner Calm: basic

Return to “KC Archive”