Terra West Trading Co - Prologue - Jy 31st MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"Forgive me," Matiel did not want to seem rude, "Anistis, Azure, it is good to see you both here, but for now I must leave you. I have certain things to attend to, and I am late already. If anything, I might have time along the trip to talk to you both again. I understand that there must have been a significant progress of things concerning our work for the Lady. I will be honest. I have yet to reach any amount of success on the matter being that my time has been spent more on this venture than finding her articles. But, seeing that both of you here I am now assuming that my worth is not at all lost. I will do my best to talk to you both later, for now, please try to feel at home. We have spared no expense to ensure that our passengers are secure and comfortable."

Matiel bowed and made his leave as he walked on to search for Haikan. Along the way, he had the fortune to finally meet his assistant, patient and ready for this days work.

"Forgive me, Mathias, for I am late. I tried my best to come here, but I've had merely two burns of sleep and last night was not a night for rest."

"Now, for your work, I am glad you were so patient enough to wait for me. First off, the caravan. Attend to it as any scribe working for me should. Account for everything, as in everything, enumerate those beneath the names of the people that own those items. Take care though to note only the crates, their weight and dimensions, and not the contents. Leave the knowledge of the contents with their owners. Better yet, if the owners are uncomfortable with proclaiming their baggage, have them list down their contents, hide the list inside the crate, and tell them that we will counter check the contents with their representatives at the destination where said representative may procure the lists from inside the crate and counter check it with our seals and signature."

"Also, I've recently employed another, her name is Anna. I am not sure whether you know her or not being that I've only taken her service yesterday. Please, as I have done for you in your lessons at the Bardic College, I would like to now set it as your responsibility to impart to her what you have learned through my sponsorship of your schooling. I believe that she does not know how to do scribing work, and scribing work is what I need the most. Scribing work, is also what this company needs also. She would be of better efficiency if you taught her whenever you are free and able. She is of amiable character, Mathias, I hope you will find her a friendly coworker."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis offered Matiel an absent nod as he walked away. His attention was on what Azure had just told him about Petros.

"He's going to do what?!" he exclaimed. "That's really brave, and it's the right thing to do, to be sure, but if they don't listen, what will the crowd do to him?" He'd never been to a public execution; when he'd been living at home, his mother had gone into a tirade about that "barbaric ritual" every time an execution was announced. Anistis couldn't agree more; the Book of the One spoke of vengence, but only as a tool of Dominicus, for His use alone. The only commands for His people were faith, obedience, and charity.

Petros was doing something that Anistis wished he'd done each time an execution happened, but his parents had kept him from doing so for his own safety, and in his adolescence, especially, Anistis had resented this constraint. He now understood his parents' fear, however, in his fear for Petros, a man he'd known for scarcely a day.

"We've got to help him, don't we?" His mother had told him that those people took complete leave of their senses at such events, abandoning all civilized thoughts and acting as bloodthirsty beasts, reveling in the spectacle of another person's demise. It had been enough to scare him away before, but there had to be something that could be done to save Petros from such mob violence, hadn't there?

OOC: ...Sorry, I'm afraid somebody's gonna have to talk Ani out of this one. I know he can't go, because that would make a time knot, but I've always been a firm believer of acting in character despite inconveniences. So, yeah, someone come up with a reason he shouldn't go! Sorry. :oops:
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

The captain's men agreed to the measures that he'd stipulated, but none of them were comfortable with magick potions or the idea of carrying arrows that if they slipped their finger along the tip they could knock themselves out. Either way, they had done as requested and Haikan was left with a barrel full of arrows - the heaviest part of which was the barrel itself.

He was easily able to carry the bucket over to Mikail, who was putting Anna's backpack into the cart while she twittered on in an airy voice about the beds at the Laughing King. "Oh, hello again Mister.. uhm.. I can't remember your name, sir," she gave a little frowning pout, the sort that begged for one to just give her the answer. She would've been pouting for entirely different reasons if she heard the conversation taking place between Mathias and Matiel.

Mathias was listening to his mentor with greatly attentive eyes, but waved away his apology. "Forgiven," he said and jotted down a few of the things that Matiel had already said to keep good notes for himself. "Anna?" Mathias's eye brow raised slightly. "You want me to teach a girl how to read and write?" He'd seen other young women at the bardic college, but most of them were studying music or arts, none were in his classes. He gave a typically adolescent sigh. "Are their small brains even capable of such learning, sir?"

As for Anistis and his run of wanting to help Petros, it was Geoffrey Mullen who felt the need to comment on his idea first. "Help him? Hahahaha," he shook his head continuing to laugh. "No, no. I don't think any of us would be much help. If anything, with it being just him, he's likely to be basically ignored. Everyone in King's Court loves a good hanging - justice served and all that. Now, if a bunch of us go in there making a big bit of noise then there's likely to be trouble. You don't want to make trouble-"

Here, he noticed Azure. "Why, I don't believe we've met, Miss...?" He gave his most charming smile and offered her a hand. "Lt Geoffrey Mullen at your service. Which cart will yo be riding in? Do you need any help with your things, there?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The men didn't have too much to fear in the area of fingerpricking. That's what the cloth coverings were for... Either way they'd understand once they saw the final product. He carried the bucket to the front cart and he set it down in front of Mikail's seat. "We discussed this earlier, but now I got the supplies. Would you kindly make these into knockout bolts, Mikail?" He offered a cheesy grin, knowing how Mikail enjoyed any chance to practice his alchemy. "This'll save many lives, I know it."

While he stood with his brother, he continued to observe his surroundings and keep an eye peeled for stirring trouble that needed placation, or customers that needed guidance. Even if his sharp elvish ears had picked up the conversation between Mathias and Matiel, he was far too distracted by his own conversation with Mikail to hear it. It was a good thing too, for the adhiel would have surely reprimanded the boy for his bigotry. Indeed, sharp eyes, but a carefree mind. That was how he was at this moment, relaxing his head for most likely the last time before they left.

Just as long as we're not late, I'll be okay.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis nervously chewed on his lower lip for a flicker before nodding his assent to Geoffrey's argument, even as he'd begun speaking with Azure. "You're right, I suppose," he said with a sigh. "It won't do him any good if we escalate things. I just wish what he's doing didn't seem like such a hopeless cause."

Dominicus, he prayed in the silence of his heart, All-Merciful God, I ask You, in Your compassion, to guard Your servant Petros from all harm with Your mighty Shield. If it is Your will, I pray that you will open the ears of his listeners to the gentler way of the One God. The thought surfaced, briefly, that if Dominicus willed His people to temper justice with mercy, He should not remain silent while they repeatedly disobeyed His command. Anistis quickly supressed this traiterous thought, however, knowing full well that Dominicus would hear his questioning anyway.

As the thought passed, Anistis smiled, glad to see that other members of their large party were taking well to the guest Anistis had brought along. This was the friendliest he'd seen Geoffrey, and he wasn't quite sure what the catalyst was for being so outgoing, but he was glad of it, and hoped that Azure would feel as welcome in this group as he did.

"Well, then, I suppose there's something I should be doing other than standing around," he muttered, half to himself. He still hadn't shaken the increasingly depressing sense that there wasn't much he had to contribute to the team, so it was with a great deal of anxiousness that he looked around for someone that might need help packing or readying anything.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail was upset that they were going to miss out on a chance to cause trouble for the Church, but he was sure that Geoffrey was right. Better to let it be ignored now and gathered later than snuffed now and forgotten later.

He cracked his book open again right before he heard a barrel slam down on the seat. He lowered his book at looked at the disturbance ahead of him.

"We discussed this earlier, but now I got the supplies. Would you kindly make these into knockout bolts, Mikail?"

He tossed the book over his shoulder and peered into the barrel. "I guess I can read when I'm dead. Happy to help as always." He turned around and looked Anistis in the eye. He looks kind of bored. Maybe if I have two helpers I can get this done in a few burns. "Hey, pardon me Anistis, but can I ask you a favor?"

He turned back to Anna and handed her a glass vial of red liquid and a small bag of white powder, with a knife in the other hand. "Here is your first task, would you like to help me out? If so, just measure out one tablespoon of this red potion onto the knife and put it on one of the cloths like this. It doesn't have to be the perfect amount, but it should cover about half of the blade like this. Make sure to pour over the cloth because some of it is likely to run off onto the fabric. If you use too much it won't be too bad, but we don't want to be wasteful." He poured some of the syrupy liquid onto the knife, and as it started to dribble he turned it over and wiped it on the cloth.

"Then you take a pinch of this white powder and disperse it on the fabric. After you put the powder on there spread it with the knife until it's all pink. You want it to be thin enough that it won't get your hands wet when you tie it around the bolt." For the first time he observed this procedure the way an outsider would, since he was showing it to a new person. Wow... I really need some real tools. These potions might have a safe theraputic index, but I might end up killing someone if I don't get more precise at some point. I'd better make sure not to attempt to invent anything too outrageous until I get some better tools.

As he was speaking he finished the cloth until it was a solid pink color, and he held it up for her to see. "If you don't want to do this now you don't have to, but it'd be nice for you to know for later."
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Anna stood by and watched Mikail open his book. Lot of fun it'll be working as his assistant... She thought to herself while crossing her thin arms over her chest while internally coming up with some manner of barb to incur his wrathful attention - for, it would be attention, and that was all she wanted. I can't believe that's it. Maybe he's got some sort of problem talking to girls, he'd seemed alright the night prior. Lots of boys around last night.. oh yes, that's just it, she thought and opened her mouth to make an emasculating comment toward the achadhiel. However, Haikan's prompt arrival stemmed any need for her to inspire him into conversation as he laid out the materials and gave her very precise directions on how to soak the cloth. She nodded somewhat dimly to his words, but digested them well and grasped the knife out of his hand.

"Wait.. I don't get it," she said. "Why are we pouring this potion on this fabric and not putting it on the arrows themselves? Wouldn't it be easier to just dip them like candies?"

Anistis, for his wandering mind, had barely heard Mik's request for his help, but when he came through he'd have the nagging suspicion that someone was talking to or about him by the fact that both Mik and Anna were looking at him for some manner of response before being involved in the potion making.

As Haikan looked around he'd find that there were two young women idling by the carts. They were in their early twenties and appeared to be twins. One had her arm around the other, and was saying something to her companion, though what couldn't be discerned due to the space between them. They each carried a bag over their shoulder which were lumpy and had things like scarves draping off of the outside. Their clothing was original (except in comparison with one another) in that they were wearing leggings and light knitted sweaters with tall boots. It was rather scandalous for King's Court considering their slim legs which stemmed between footwear and sweater. Both wore varying degrees of browns and tans, and one of the two wore a hat that would be more commonly seen on a pirate lord than a young woman.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Why, it looks like the passengers are beginning to arrive. The humanesque elf strutted over to the female twins and bowed his head. "Welcome to Terra West Trading. My name is captain Haikan Gray, what may I ask, are your names?" He stood upright and proud, but he decided to take a step back with one foot for a more approachable and down to earth pose. He spoke through a glowing smile, and he did his best to ensure that his voice was warm and inviting. "I assume you lovely ladies are here for the trip to Brie or Pax Balthasar, am I incorrect?

"I will answer any questions that you have, of course."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis, still lost in thought, took the bishop's ring out of his pocket, playing with it for a moment and getting lost inside the scarlet world of the stone while he thought about the journey ahead before looking up. Noticing Mikail and Anna looking at him expectantly, he slipped the ring onto the middle finger of his left hand, blinked a few times, and immediately fell to apologies.

"I'm sorry; I was markers away. Need help? Yeah, sure, uh... I'm sorry, what's going on?" he asked as his face flushed until its color almost matched his ring.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Small brains?" Matiel was not amused. He was hoping the Bardic College would teach the young man something useful for the future; if not for him at least for himself. Acquiring stereotypes was not useful. If before Matiel was trying to soften his mood despite the stress of the yester-eve's work; now he was reconsidering it to at least impart some truth to his assistant.

"Mathias," he slowed his steps a while as he tried to look about the wagons for the errand he was supposed to do, "When I say something, do you believe in it?"

"If you believe in it, will you give it a chance? You've known me for a good length of time now. I've spent that time coursing you through a new world, a new way of thinking, and a new path; a path which was of your own choosing and will always be of your own choosing. I've given you that realization of choice. The only reason you're my assistant is because you chose to. Very well, if you do so believe that women are incapable, prove it to me. I am not ordering you, I am giving you the opportunity to prove me wrong."

"I'm giving you this entire journey from King' Court to Brie. In that time, spend what you can on teaching the girl what you know. If it results in my being wrong concerning the point of her ability to learn, you are welcome to terminate her. If I am right...you'll have to take orders from her from then on until I deem it you've learned your lesson."

Matiel approached one of the carts. It was the third from the from the first one, and he presumed it was a passenger wagon. Inside he tried to see if there were any passengers, before he began to climb over to its top, hoping the higher vantage would allow him to get a better view of things here before they would go.

"Consider this a challenge to you and to her. Tell her the terms. Both of you will have something to prove. Whatever comes of it would result in a batter you. Now go, attend to your work."

He needed to find Anna and Cedric's walking parcels.

"Oh, and also, tell her I need to talk to her when the journey starts. Tell her I'll talk to her when she has nothing to do with Mikail anymore, in her free time."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"Yes, Anistis. I was just wondering if you could help us organize these bolts before we get moving. A lot of these are personalized and crafted in unique ways. If you could sort them by design, string them up with this twine, and then place them back in the barrel, this would go a lot faster. It doesn't really matter how you tie the not, just as long as they don't get mixed up."

He partially asked Ani to help him to save time, partially because he looked bored, and partially because he seemed like a pleasant person to work with. Funny, that his favorite member of the caravan aside from his brother would be a man of the cloth. Perhaps if he took charge there would be nothing to hate about the one church. I only hope he can somehow shoot through the ranks and fix the system. Mikail refused to capitalize the concept of the "One," in text or in thought or in words. Fortunately, he never wrote about the one so he didn't have to worry about being hung for it.

He turned his attention back to the surroundings of the cart and then to Anna, to answer her question.

"If we put it directly on the bolts, anyone who touches the tip by accident- or on purpose for the stupid- would be knocked out for several hours. If we put it on the cloth, not only are the chances of it wiping off removed, but it will also take more force to penetrate. The momentum of a crossbow is a thousand times more than enough to do so, but the rubbing of a finger isn't. You see? It's a safety precaution." He covered bolt with a blank cloth and then pushed his finger lightly against it, and then he showed the results to Anna, yielding no blood. "I will take care of making the next batch. These cloths will probably use up a lot of the materials, so I'll get to work on that while you and Anistis prepare the bolts. Is that alright with both of you? I'll also take care of tying the fabric to the heads of the bolts, so you can just put the clothes in this bag. It doesn't matter if they dry out, in fact they're a lot safer then. However, we don't want them flying away in the wind."
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Mathias nodded, and managed to not sigh. "Yes, sir. I'll go now and make sure that everything is accounted for and then talk to her when we get underway. If she asks, why are you looking for her?" This question was as much for Mathias' curiosity as it was to prepare for an eventual question from Anna.

Once climbing ontop of the cart, Matiel was given a wide view of the area around them. He could see Haikan talking to two young women, apparently twins and Anna working with Anistis and Mikail with arrows and potions.

Of the two young women that Haikan approached it was the one that wore the hat that did the talking. "Ello, there," she said with a smile to his compliment of them being lovely ladies. "My sister and I have travel that's already been arranged by a gentelman named 'Matiel' through our employer. We're headed to Brie, yes," she said with a nod to his question. "And we've already been paid for so far as I know. Names are Marissa and Melissa." Her sister companion, now upon closer inspection, looked a bit under the weather. The girl wearing the hat was supporting her with an arm at the small of her back. "What cart are we in? We'd like to get comfortable now." There was a note of concern there, in her strong young voice, but she smoothed over it as if it were nothing except interest.

Anna listened to Mikail's explanation of why they were doing it this way. "Ah, yes.. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Won't the weight mess with the arrows though?" The skinny teen opened the bag and unrolled the top a bit to create a stronger opening while putting in the first piece of cloth that Mik had done followed by the first one she completed. Once her questions for Mik were answered and he went off to make another batch of the sleeping potion, Anna turned her attention to Anistis. "So.. you're like a priest or something?"

For Anistis, sorting the arrows was more time consuming than difficult. The barrel had mixed them all up, but they were easily distinguishable from one another. Each had an original fletching coupled with any number of inscriptions on the arrow shaft or interesting arrow head.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very good. You'll be in the..." Haikan could notice that Melissa (or Marissa) wasn't feeling very well. They seem in a hurry to get to their cart... Is something wrong? The adhiel's squishy and loving heart went out to her, and he wondered if she was risking her health in doing this. "Are you feeling alright...? Perhaps you should talk to my brother about some herbal supplements, you look a bit ill." She doesn't have the plague does she? It appears she needs help to just stand there... Nobody is going to die aboard my caravan! And that includes this lady...

He began to think about the risks of taking her along, and how that might affect the rest of the team. The idea of abandoning her and leaving her here entered his mind but he pushed it away immediately. I'm sure Mikail has something... Perhaps Anistis can do healing as well, since he's a priest. I've heard that Dominican priests used to do healings quite a lot at the basilica.

"What is your affliction, Melissa? I tell you now that I am highly concerned, and I wish to help you. I hope that in observing that you look sick, I do not offend you, for rest assured, your lovliness still shines through."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis laughed in response to Anna's question, and the sound of it was clear and bell-like, albeit twinged with a tone of good-natured self-deprecation. "Oh, no-no-no. Not quite yet. I'm just an acolyte. I've got a ways to go in my training before I can be ordained into the priesthood. If you've got any questions or needs of a religious nature, ask away and I'll do my best to help you out, but there are certainly better authorities out there than myself."

He smiled at the girl and extended his right hand. Ani was left-handed, but had taught himself long ago (with some effort) that shaking was done typically with the right. "We haven't met, I don't think. I'm Anistis," he said with a typically gentle smile.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Marissa, the one who'd done the talking and who wore the exceptional hat, waved at the concern of Haikan. "No, she's just taken ill this morning, but we've been paid for, so we can't just back out of it now," she said.

For the first time, Marissa chimed in with a voice that matched her twin's in tone, but not in spirit. "If you do have a healer, I would see him - when we're underway? I'm very tired. We've walked from the poor quarter all the way here." She was pale compared to her twin, and her lips looked rather dry, while dark circles were heavy around her eyes. If they'd been a touch smarter it would've been Melissa who'd been wearing the hat.

Marissa gave her sister a reproachful look, and then an apologetic one to Haikan. "We don't mean to cause any trouble, and we don't have much money to spare, but you can send your healer to us once Mel has had some rest, if that's ok by you." The young woman shifted her weight. Her arm was tired from the past mark of walking and supporting her sister, while the previous two marks of walking almost seemed like child's play in comparison. She, too, was tired and wanted to rest her feet. "Which cart then, sir?" They would wait for their directions and then head off to the one suggested. For Haikan, the rest of the morning was spent in preparation and assistance with the guests and merchants. Most curiously of all: Sando hadn't arrived, and when the time came to leave, the halfling still hadn't.

When Ani introduced himself, Anna offered a smile and put the small blade down so that she could shake his hand. "Pleasure to meet you then, Master Anistis," she said with a nod. "My name's Anna. I'm working for Mikail - I'm his assistant," she said this with increasing pride each time she got to announce it to someone new. "I met almost everyone else last night at the Laughing King - but you weren't there. Too bad, it was a good time," she returned to her work, not wanting to get too caught up in conversation to forget what she was doing. She was a talkative young lady though, and if Ani wanted to he could pursue more conversation with her while Mikail worked on his potion.

OOC: I think we're wrapping this one up. Ani, if you want to continue to talk to Anna I can set you up with a side thread, otherwise tie it up here! Thanks.
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel sent Mathias off without telling him why he needed to talk to Anna. He heard the young man question his request, but he made it out like he didn't hear him. Truth is, he wasn't actually paying any attention anymore.

Two women were able to grasp his notice as they appeared to Haikan's greeting. Matiel was quick to assume that these were the women Cedric sent for him to watch over. He wanted to be sure though. He needed Anna for that. He needed Anna quick. Haikan was already there, greeting them, being amiable, and striking them into conversation. The more words that would pass between them the higher the possibility that Haikan would know whatever it was Matiel was trying to do.

As much as it already pained his brow and back to feel the weight of what he was doing, the pain of having Haikan find out would still be greater. He did not want to disappoint the elf and the hopes Matiel proposed through this company.

Cedric must be dealt with. Matiel hoped he was smart enough to send women who could handle keeping bad secrets.

OOC:

I agree. I don't think there is anything else I would need to do here.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"If you are sure, than okay. Let me know if you need anything." The captain pointed to the seventh cart. "You'll be in that one, ladies. Do you need any help moving in? I'd be happy to assist you, and help you get comfortable. Please remember that on this caravan, your troubles, are my troubles!" Haikan maintained his amiable grin, and winked with that last statement, he even offered a thumbs up to boot. After a flicker he returned to a somewhat more down-to-earth tone and continued to welcome them, assuring that everything would be just fine. Melissa... I'll have to ask Mikail for some medicine... I sure hope you're going to be okay.

The adhiel was genuinely concerned for these twins. In his life he hadn't had an enormous amount of long-term friends. In fact, for most of his life as a traveler, his only friends were the strangers he met on the road and in the Taverns. For that reason, new acquaintances were just as important to him as ancient friends, and his concern for their well-being may have seem unusual to someone else. However, he had a habit of treating strangers as though they'd been friends all their lives.

"I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Just get some rest, and I'll see if Mikail has anything that will make you feel better."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis noticed, as Anna spoke, that he'd stopped sorting the arrows as soon as he'd oppened his mouth, and presently went back to doing so. It seemed like he should admire their craftsmanship, although the acolyte knew nothing of making arrows.

"Well, Mikail's potion-making seems really complex," Ani continued. He found Mikail's strange art fascinating, but was almost totally ignorant of it- mostly because he'd never taken the time to ask, he supposed. "I'd imagine an assistant would do him a whole lot of good. I'm sure he's glad to have you." The smile on his face dissolved for a flicker into a frustrated grimace as he noticed he'd accidentally mixed some arrows from one pile into the other while he wasn't paying attention. He took a moment to put them back into place.

"How'd you come by the job, if you don't mind my asking?"

OOC: Sure, we can continue for a bit in a side thread, if it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, time-wise. :)
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Alright, thank you very much, sir," Marissa said with a smile, and then both the girls went off to their recommended cart to get comfortable until they could be seen by the Caravan's healer. "I'm surprised, Melissa," she said to her sister. "They seem like good people - why work with Cedric?" Mel didn't have an answer for her, and likely never would. Some things couldn't be explained, and sometimes good people were taken advantage of by the bad ones. That's as far as either of the twins could guess.

It didn't take long for the leaders to get everything moving. Still, as they rolled away there was a sense of loss. Sando still hadn't shown up. No one had heard anything from him, or about him, and while they could've waited, Haikan had an oppressive feeling about maintaining their timeliness. It was faster by horse - maybe he'd catch up later?

OOC: Ani - you've got a side thread set up. Everyone else, this is LOCKED for skilling! Yay.

Return to “KC Archive”