"From Sea to Jungle." - Jygust 30th eMT

Moderator: Mods

Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

"From Sea to Jungle." - Jygust 30th eMT

Post by Baylan Anvilhammer »

Baylan’s big day had arrived. The first of many such days, he’d greatly hoped. For, on that day, he did something outside of his comfort zone. Outside of his family’s comfort zone. Outside of his peoples’ comfort zone. His grand adventure was about to commence.

The dwarf carefully packed his belongings and went over his intended route one more time. Plans are very important to Baylan Anvilhammer.
Gram wrote:“A solid plan should very well be at the center of everything you do, young one. Planning is of paramount importance to action!”

His father had always preached such things and the younger dwarf lived by this motto accordingly. With one hand, the dwarf continued to stuff his few belongings into his large oaken trunk. With the other, he held tightly the small bit of parchment on which his precious plans were penned in small, precise dwarven runes. Each heading had under it specific notes and names relating to its parent topic. The headings were as follows:

• Travel to Mach Mellin
• Seek out the captain of the Drocker
• Work aboard the ship and travel to Dort and ultimately Réalt.

The topics went on. Many sections had been crossed out, having been satisfied or otherwise made redundant.

Baylan gathered the packed possessions and loaded them on to his father’s cart along with the large shipment of nails that was also destined to be stowed in the belly of the Drocker. As the dwarf understood it, the ship was on its way to Dort to attempt to bolster the inter-island trade fleet. It had come to Mach Mellin to take on finished metal goods which can be purchased at a relatively rock-bottom price in the region when compared the island prices. The ship's primary purpose would be to replace the ship which had previously serviced the route between Dort and the nation of Sierra. Recent events had elevated regional interest in the island to great heights. With the transplantation of the University of Magick and the subsequent surge of jungle exploration and homesteading, more supplies and travelers were flowing into the small town of Réalt. The Drocker was newer, faster, and larger than the current galleys contesting the sharp rocks and deceptive coastline of the exotic island. She was a much-needed upgrade for the region’s trade industry. And a perfect opportunity for a portal-shy dwarf like Baylan.

The trip to Mach Mellin went by slowly yet well enough; the borrowed mule gave Baylan only minor problems along the route. The dwarf took a direct line to the wharf in search of the Drocker upon reaching the town.

A shipping fee for stowing this lot of nails and a promise of hard work and dedication during the passage should surely grant me a stay on board the vessel, Baylan thought to himself while searching the many masts along the docks for the rare appearance of Dortenese colors flapping in the wind.

“Just as long as the captain ain’t one of those dwarf-hatin’ adhiel stuck-up types, at least,” Bay grumbled in frustration- not yet finding his ride east.

There is was. The narrow-hulled vessel looked more like a privateer’s interceptor than a fleet work horse. Sharp angles and a short stern section gave an impression of great mobility. Tied to the pier as it was, the two main sails were folded and a teeming ant-like mass of sailors and dock workers scrambled this way and that; inspecting the masts and scrubbing down the salty decks. Baylan had never seen such a ship. He’d hardly ever seen any ship that wasn’t a fat, over-laden ferry… reluctantly dragging loads of ore off to the Mouth.

Striking his deal with the (non-adhiel, non-dwarf hating) captain was not a difficult task. The ship had left Dort earlier than expected in order to get the jump on some incoming weather. In doing so, they had been forced to leave some crew behind. The short-handed able seamen were quick to accept Baylan into their little group. The men enjoyed pleasant weather over the course of the long crossing. It took many days, but the dwarf was not sure exactly how many. To his poor sea-sick stomach and his sweat-covered brow, it felt like weeks. He toiled daily; scrubbing this part of the deck, trying that knot, lifting those barrels. It was not work that he found engaging. A deal is a deal, however.

Worn out is a much better way to be… A much better way than bein’ gobbled up by the fishes, he’d had to tell himself on many occasions.

Upon reaching Dort and dropping off the majority of the metal goods from the mountains, the Drocker was loaded with a varied store of sundry supplies. Preserved foodstuffs, clothing, tools, and a strange assortment of passengers all found themselves aboard the Sierra-bound clipper.

Less than a week later, the ship was cautiously making its way through a thick, soupy morning fog while nimbly dodging the fingers of rock that seemed to want to reach up and grope holes straight through the thin wooden hull when a bellowing voice blasted out from the bow.

Boatswain wrote:The navigator has announced ‘land ho.’ Deck hands to your stations. Prepare the ship for tight maneuvers and ensure that we are staged to enter port. Welcome to Sierra, gentlemen.

A short but enthusiastic cheer bubbled up from the depths of the boat. This was the first of many times the Drocker would pull herself into Réalt. Baylan dropped his mop and tried his hardest to squint though the mushy fog. The sun had barely begun to contest the reign of the vast horizon and visibility was extremely low.

All that he could clearly see ahead of him was a slightly darker area to the bow that extended off to port. The experienced sailors had returned to their duties, knowing that they would have a good view of the island nation before too long. Baylan, however, was eager to get a glimpse of the land mass as soon as he possibly could.

Father… you have willed me here to this wild, untamed place. I have faithfully made my long voyage. I will embark into the jungle in just as pious a manner. I beg of you, let me go with your guidance. Steel me with the strength of your Crimson Blade and grant me the experience which I seek. I do all things in Your honor, my peoples’ honor, and my own, the dwarf silently prayed in earnest.
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She clung to the hull like a limpet, hanging off one side of the prow with her quick eyes searching for the rocks that threatened to score and ruin the fragile belly of the beast she had travelled upon now for near a week.

Though a passenger, Scarlet had refused to stay confined to the dull and hardly exciting deck. It had taken moments for the crew to realise that the imp scampering over the rigging was the young traveller from Aveas. However, after a few moment's shouting the crew had pretty much decided that if the fool girl wanted to crack her head on the hull or drown in the open seas then that was her prerogative. Coin had been paid, delivery of the passenger was not a contingent factor. So, smiling, the young girl with suspiciously golden eyes had danced happily in the crow's nest or even with the figurehead whilst the clipper raced through the ocean spray. Even now as it moved slowly though the coastal mists she grinned as she swung up into view, bare feet leaving wet foot-prints on the foredeck as she made her way aft.

"A good morning master Dwarf. I trust last night's squall did not upset your stomach? I struggle to sleep getting thrown from one side of my bunk to the other." Scarlet grinned wolfishly at Baylan and hitched her kanthar a little higher to keep the wet hem from clinging to her legs.

"How long do you make it before we make port?"
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Having completed his reverent monologue, Baylan returned his eyes and attention to the ever-expanding dark mass off the port bow. He searched for any sort of definition. The dwarf felt as if he were a blind man feeling a face through a thick silken veil. He could sense just enough of the land mass to know it was there. But that was all. The sun had yet to rip the seams of the tightly-sewn darkness.

Scarlet wrote:"A good morning master Dwarf."

The minute metal worker-turned-adventurer was startled by the voice to his rear. The deck hands had spoken with him frequently during the passage. The salts all seemed to boast one of two vocal profiles; talking in either low booming bass tones or scratchy and broken-sounding squeals. In addition, the sailors had a tendency to speak out loud for nobody in particular- spurring large communal conversations. This communication was not like that at all. Not in the least.

Young. Playful. Audacious. And aimed specifically for his ears.

Baylan attempted to hide his startled hop and the subsequent tingly shudder brought about by hearing words directed towards him uttered so smoothly by quickly swooping back down to the deck (it was, after all, a rather short trip for him to make) and scooping up his discarded mop. Rising and turning in a motion, the dwarf faced the speaker.

Oh... It's that one, he thought to himself dejectedly. He had been taking special note of the confusing actions of the girl over the past few days. You'd think that her mother would have made her take her rear end back to her cot by now. All that hopping about. Hardly a productive expenditure of energy.

He did not smile in response to her remark about the storm. Not only did he not want to talk about how poorly he had adjusted to life on the sea, but he also was not one for joking without the added lubricant of alcohol.

Baylan looked up into Scarlet's eyes and doffed his hat with his free hand as he spoke, "I see this morningtide has gifted you with much energy, Miss. If it wasn't so incredibly unlikely, I'd say that you are nearly as excited to dive into the jungle as I am. I'm Baylan, by the way."

The dwarf did not smile still as he introduced himself. But he was genuinely curious about the girl and was on such a high (considering the genesis of his adventure) that he actually enjoyed her appearance.

"I should hope that we make Réalt within a candlemark or two. Unfortunatly I do not know much of the ways of the sea. I would have to defer to someone else if you are interested in a better answer than that."
Last edited by Baylan Anvilhammer on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"Excitement does not even begin to cover it," the girl replied. Perhaps some small trepidation cutting through her silken tones. Her brows narrowed and she turned to lean over the ships rail, facing the dark horizon that carried scents of earth and pollen on the breeze. Alien scents to her, plants unfamiliar, creatures stranger still and even the soil darker than the golden plains of the Etherial Isle. She could not afford to be homesick, less she allow that very home to fall to ruin.

"Have you been here before Baylan? I hear strange rumours of flying Castles and Magus. The place sounds lively."

The taciturn dwarf was the first of his kind that Scarlet had spoken to, though she had still privately labelled every soul on the boat simply as a 'sleeper.' Devoid of an inner animal, each of the various races of Tazlure each seemed painted by the same 'civilised' brush that ruled by law rather than the passions of the heart. Scarlet felt no such chains of cultural stigma or taboo. Respect and honour were the only rules of the Kanthrop, ones so ingrained she scarcely felt their burden. To her each soul aboard seemed lifeless.

Her eyes flashed as she turned to look at Baylan and in a whisper spoke, "Treasure hunting?"
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

"Flying Castles. Magus."

Baylan's soaring attitude dipped slightly upon hearing the words. By the dwarf's understanding, magick-users were quick to bend the rules... change bearing in mid-course. The strategist in him hated the thought of people changing the playing field in front of his eyes.

Brow wrinkled (but hidden under his hat), Baylan was still frowning- plagued with thoughts of magickal trickery when Scarlet spoke;

Scarlet wrote:Treasure hunting?

Taking a half step to the side, the young smithy squared his shoulders towards the girl and again peered into her eyes. This time in search of motive. He was generally not one to judge strangers, but there was something unusual about Scarlet.

I've met very few humans in my life time. But I am sure that there is something different about this girl.... And her eyes, Baylan's thoughts trailed on for a moment as he tried to decide how to reply.

"No I have never set foot on the Nation of Sierra... and... I'm not a looter, if that's what you mean. My motivation is slightly more grandiose than grasping at banner. I'd prefer the term explorer, actually."

Overcoming the deeply-rooted dwarven attitude of over cautious defensiveness towards those not of their own family had always been a difficult task for Baylan. He took a breath of briny sea air and glanced up at a small formation of birds flapping lazily overhead before continuting:

"And you, Miss? What sorts of trouble are you planning on getting yourself into, if I may ask?"
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"A matter of scale," the girl replied. She sank to the floor, her legs through the rail as she sat on the deck. She smiled as the spray licked her toes - most cats abhorred water, Scarlet not so much.

"Everybody seems to pursue some prey or another. Gold, love or some other fanciful dream stirs the heart and drives you to hunt. The question is what do you do once you have cornered your prey... Was it the quarry or the pursuit itself that drove you? What course of action then?" She questioned, cocking her head as though considering the question herself. Suddenly she grinned and turned to face the dwarf with a smile that touched her eyes with no small mischief.

"Save to chase again..."

Slowly, with an almost languid motion Scarlet lent back until her shoulders touched the deck, walked her feet up the railings and lifted her body up into a handstand before letting herself fall back to her feet, hair covering the smile on her face.

"I need hills master dwarf, hills and trees. This wooden hulk cages me."

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It had not taken long for Xenovia to decide that she enjoyed boats.

While it was quite convenient to have a flying one to soar over mountains, Xenovia couldn't imagine why one would choose to neglect the sea so completely. At sea one had both air and water, the wind playing through masts and sails, water spraying over the edges and coating everything in a fine mist.

Xenovia had undoubtedly caused a small sensation when boarding the ship with her companions. While it was true that they all had unusual eyes, Xenovia was the only one covered with cloth from head to toe. Feeling far too ridiculous in a skirt and those silly bodices women wore, Xen had opted instead to wear the clothes of a male. Dressed in boots, leather breeches, a black shirt and gloves, Xenovia looked the part of a man well enough after pulling the hood of her cloak over her head. Doubtless it was her tall stature that aided the disguise.

She did, however, board with a spear, quickly explaining in a rough voice that they were adventurers headed for the jungles of Sierra. Of course weapons would be needed. She had left the large weapon below deck with most of her other belongings mainly for the comfort of others, though she refused to remove the quiver of arrows and beautiful bow strapped to her back. The bow was hard not to notice, especially strapped to the back of such a dark and secretive figure. Its wood was dark grey, white lines adorning the wood in curling, beautiful patterns. The grip and ends shone black, as if they were made out of crystalline metal. It never left the cloaked "man's" person.

Now she watched Scarlet from a safe distance, turning her head every so often to watch for Sierra's appearance. Thus far she had managed to avoid speaking to anyone but her companions.
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Baylan Anvilhammer
Civus

Watching Scarlet's gymnastics with mild amusement, Baylan decided with a half-chuckle that he simply did not understand this girl.

She talks of being caged... when I am here, having just been set free upon the world.
The sturdy dwarf appreciated the irony in the present conversation.

"Can you not let your mind rest for a moment and simply stop? How often do you truly take in what is going on around you, miss? Yes yes, I can see that you are alert. You have the all-seeing defensive aspect of a snow leopard in you I half suspect!" The dwarf chuckled, clueless, at what he thought was an outrageously comical characterization. He continued, "No--- I mean really seeing." He spun this last word with a dreamy emphasis.

Baylan took his eyes away from the girl and turned once more to the ever-brightening seascape before them.

He finished in low, introspective tones, "The wind... the sea. I do not feel trapped. I do not feel caged."
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet grinned back at the Dwarf. A rich smile that touched her eyes and creased her nose. Perhaps not a snow-leopard... but brownie points for effort.

Slowly she stood, tugged the hem of her kanthar back down and with one hand raked her dark tousled hair back away from her face. She looked down happily at Baylan with his now wistful expression. Now, having finally cracked his taciturn demeanour, she could rest easy with her mission done for the day. Definitely dreams this dwarf was chasing, she hoped they would not prove too hard to catch.

"Maybe if I was steering." She offered, her eyes drifting to the sails. A boat could be a lot of things she supposed; a home, a livelihood, freedom perhaps. All three if you were lucky enough. This ship was none of these things to Scarlet, it was transport. Owning something like this could be different. With the horizon your only keeper, the wind your only release, there was a definite attraction. Even so, for her, a boat would always be just a way to get to somewhere else.

It didn't take long for her to catch sight of Xenovia standing far aft.

If you climbed the mast you could get further away.

Scarlet bit back the bile. If Xen had just needed time and space to sort herself out then three months had been a lot of time, a lot of space. Even now on the close confines of a boat she had managed to keep a respectful distance. The worst part was that she couldn't shake the feeling that maybe Scarlet had simply served her purpose. Xen had always been a loner with no real friends, only seeing people as allies or tools. Now it seemed she was ok on her own again and Scarlet could burn. Yet it was more than that. It was intentional. Scarlet had not been just cast aside, she had been avoided. She just wasn't sure quite where it'd gone wrong, but it had. One day they had been closer than sisters, fighting for their lives against the murderous darkness her people called Cryers. Now...

She sighed and Baylan might have seen the corners of her smile fade, the eyes not shining as brightly as they could. She nodded in parting at the dwarf and headed for the passenger dorms again, taking a detour past Xen as she did so. Despite the smile on her face, her voice was not the same playful and audacious tone Baylan had enjoyed. For Scarlet found it hard to force a lie, especially to those people she cared for.

"We should reach shore within a mark or two," she said, brushing Xen with one hand to ensure her attention. "I'll check the packs and make sure the others are awake."

If she couldn't prove herself a friend, she could at least prove herself a hunter.
Last edited by Scarlet on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia watched Scarlet's features carefully as she turned away from Baylan and glanced in her direction. Even if the little man didn't see, Xen was acutely aware of the droop in her smile, the small twitch at the corner of her mouth that pulled it downward upon sight of the cloaked bird warper. At the sight of that, Xen suddenly forgot to appreciate the sights and smells around her. She was only acutely aware of all the cloth touching her skin, smothering her. The boots shielding her toes from the wind, the gloves keeping the spray of water off her flesh, the cloak preventing the sun from warming her flesh. How could humans stand it?

And, of course, there was the trace of bitterness Scarlet now held for her.

Truly, she couldn't blame her. For three days or more they were very close, depending on each other for survival. Xenovia had even spoken to Scarlet in confidence, seeking her advice. But it wasn't really Xen's fault; companionship intimidated her. The idea of being vulnerable around someone else -- of showing your weak spots -- was simply too much for her. What if they took advantage of those weak spots? Xenovia too was a hunter, and she attacked her prey by surprise, digging her talons into the backs of fish, tearing them from the water and their lives without warning. Kanthrop, too, were capable of such things. It did not happen often, but it could, and that was enough to make her wary.

She had reached out once and felt only awkwardness and discomfort, so naturally she was trying to avoid that now. Of course Scarlet didn't understand, and Xen couldn't expect her to. Especially when she wouldn't just tell her what was wrong. Perhaps one day she will simply hate me.

It was then that Scarlet came to approach her, and for the first time in months Xenovia didn't stand, or place herself in a more readily escapable position. Instead she simply sat, her unseen eyes watching the younger Kanthrop's easy movements. The grace of a feline and the grace of a bird were two very different things, and Xen sometimes secretly marveled at the way Scarlet moved about.

"We should reach shore within a mark or two. I'll check the packs and make sure the others are awake."

Xenovia had already checked the packs, but that was far too many words to utter in one sentence at the moment. Instead, Xen simply nodded, murmuring a soft thanks to her companion and looking back toward the front of the boat. Soon the real journey would begin, and she had no idea where to start looking.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

The Bane had been awakened...

For yahren Calraen had sufficed in remaining unseen amidst the shadows of Ursa. He had watched and waited as the Kanthrop people flourished on the sanctuary isle. For an eternity had they prospered, ever since the day they had made the Crossing.

Until that faithful day when the isle had collapsed.

Now the Cryers ran rampant. "Cryers, such a foolish name..." But they did pose his people with quite a problem. And ever since Xenovia took the Bane from the prison dome, all holds were barred and the isle was besieged even more than before. Yet Xenovia had no clue. No, she had been sent by mother to find the other relic weapons. Along with the kit that accompanied her. And she hoped to survive to find Destiny and Vanquisher? Little chance.

It was after all his charge...And he alone was responsible for it. That it had been bestowed upon this whelp was a mere detail. In his hands had it layed waste to Weldar, and now he felt it his duty to protect it. It and it's keeper. It had been good of the old shaman Hawkeye to call on him, but he had seen her with his own eyes, and she had seen him. Going into the cavern. No, she had not been the one he had been expecting.

"My brother and sister sleep. They do not know of the danger that awaits them surely. They would have contacted me by now..." he scanned the Aether again as he followed the ship the Kanthrop were on, a ship inhabited by the outlander races he despised. "Nothing". High above the vessel did he fly, casting shadows on the water now that the sun started to peek over the horizon once more. The isle was close. Thus far they had not noticed him trailing them.

Soon, they would land.
Soon, so would he.
Last edited by Calraen on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Scarlet would find Kytani awake and easily enough if she had been paying attention to her close packmate's seafaring habits closely enough. Kytani was no sailor, to be sure, her standard shipboard pallor often coming damned close to echoing Xenovia's when it came to the tossing and turning of the decks, even in the calmest of waters, the constant motions never finding 'home' within the short-haired kit. Her lack of nautical expertise aside, Kytani had put her tracking skills to a warped use, scouring the ship for the 'sweet spot' – the one place where she found the shifting to be the least. And it was in this spot where she could usually be found, directly amidships and below deck*, as close as she could get to both waterline and as centered as she could get between fore and aft, noting that her stomach tugged the worst at the extremes and quickly forcing her as far from the high and low-pitching rails and bulkheads, sound of the waves, and sight of the dancing horizon as she could get.

Just like her inner animal, Kytani found peace when fully centered.

Or at least as much peace as she could find, surrounded by the ocean with no dry land (that she knew of) in sight.

OOC: * middle of the ship, above the keel.
Last edited by Kytani Hajgomb on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The sailors on the good ship Drocker were veteran salts that had plied the waters between the Western Kingdom and the Seven isles for many yahren. These men had watched a whale grappled by a giant squid thrash for its life while it buffeted the Drocker in its throes. Once they ferried a large group of gnomes and to this day keep discovering small 'improvements' that they left behind. They managed to avoid civil war when two rival clan chieftains of the dwarves both chose the Drocker for transport without realizing it. These men felt they had seen everything.

Thus, they were surprised to fine themselves surprised by this crew they had taken on for Sierra. The Kanthrops were given their space by the rest of the crew. There was some muttering about their eyes but the confidence with which they carried themselves and the fact that they bothered no one kept reactions to just muttering. A dwarf they were used to. Baylan had been given the nickname Rumbling Rock by a joker in the crew and it seems to have stuck.

"We'll be at Realt Harbor in a mark if the wind holds." The lookout called out to all and sundry.

OOC: I shall start a harbor thread for your actual arrival and leave this one for PC-PC interactions or PC-NPC interactions if you wish to talk with the crew.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She leapt down the stair well, landing with fluid ease on the planking.

I am going to have to beat it out of her, or there will be no end to this.

Too many thoughts twisted in Scarlet's head. Not least the fact that she felt their 'leader' had her mind torn in more directions than there were stars in the sky. If events on the island reached fever pitch, Scarlet was not sure that she trusted Xen to keep her head and make the right call. A leader required clarity of mind and she got the feeling that Xenovia's mind was anything but clear. She cursed as she sped towards the passenger cabins. The scents of food, sweat and the Ship's various cargoes assaulted her and for the hundredth time she wished she were back on dry land.

Arriving at the Kanthrop's cabin she slammed the flat of her hand onto the wood of the door as hard as she dared. Muraco was probably still sleeping with dawn only just creeping over the horizon.

"Pup!" She called loudly, kicking the base of the door as well. "Lug your ass out of bed. We land in a Mark."

Without waiting for an answer she sped back towards the hold, bare feet gripping the wooden planks as she careened down the length of the ship. If Kytani was still in her damned "sweet spot" she was going to get a kick.

"Hey, Kytani?" Scarlet called, checking on the kit in more ways than one.
"We're landing soon. If you want to go hurl over the side, now is the time."

Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Boats.

Muraco had not known how much he disliked them until he was forced to be aboard one. It was a wooden cage. The deepest parts of it, dank, smelly and confining. It was no surprise that Muraco only went down to the cabin to sleep. Even that was difficult with the constant, vague feeling of motion. Ground did not move, hills did not move, the earth did not move...well unless the Mother willed it and that was not very common in Muraco's experience. The wolf Kit had been keeping a close council for much of the expedition. In this, he needed to be ready for what they would face in Sierra and was trying to prepare himself mentally. This was largely unsuccessful because he knew not what he was exactly preparing for.

The only way the trip was bearable was when the sea air was whipping through his hair. It was different than the whipping wind when running through the forest but not altogether undesirable. Every spare flicker, he had his eyes on the horizon and the sky. When the sun climbed in it's lazy arc through the heavens Muraco made it a point to see it. When it sunk below the line of blue that marked the end of water and the beginning of sky, he was watching it. The kanthrop paced much of the time across the slowly heaving deck. He did his best to ignore the humans...it was frustrating how limited they were. He could ask a crewman if they smelled a certain scent on the wind or heard a faint sound but it would end in a vacant cow eyed stare they seemed to just generally give him so he abstained. Fools. No wonder they lost touch with their inner animals...unless they were sheep, in which case, they seemed to be more skilled in channeling their animal than he in his. Most of this opinion was formed without talking to the crew and was perhaps a bit unfair.

Muraco had seen the most of Scarlet and her scrambling about the ship. She seemed to enjoy all of the places to climb and he could almost see the cat that lurked behind her lithe muscles and movement. Kytani seemed to have the worst time as she was down below in some odd place she lodged herself. The wolf kit felt for her discomfort and believed she wanted land as much as he did. Xenovia on the other hand was unreadable as per her usual demeanor. She was not expelling the contents of her stomach over the side, but she did not seem as restless as he. Perhaps she enjoyed this trip...perhaps not but Muraco was not going to pester her if she was alone with her thoughts. She had not done it to him so he returned the courtesy.

This early morningtide, Muraco had crept out of his cabin before the sun rose and found a place to the fore of the ship to watch the prow of the ship churn the dark waters. Looking forward to untraveled waters had symbolic meaning because he could not see Ursa to the aft and had not for some time. It was not the time to look back, but would he see home again? Would any of them? No matter, this journey was for their people and should they die in the attempt it would be a life well lived. The shout of the lookout rang loudly and Muraco cringed slightly. Humans. He put a toe to his bag and leaned down to grab it and his spear. Shouldering his pack on one side and throwing his spear over the other shoulder balancing it with his hand, he went to the door leading below decks. Looking out of the corner of his eye to Xenovia, the wolf kit searched for an inkling of her thoughts in the profile of her face he had from her side. If she made eye contact he would nod, again uncharacteristically quiet but with a grave smile.

I hope you will open to us Xenovia. We will not hurt you...not us.

Muraco thought this as he waited for Scarlet to emerge, perhaps with Kytani. They all needed land and Muraco knew he was tired of this damnable boat.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia watched the water quietly as Scarlet departed, willing herself to ignore all the thoughts and concerns in her mind and just see the water. There were the gentle crests, collapsing against the front of the boat to be reborn beyond its sides, rolling away easily and without trouble. The boat was moving at an admirable speed, and Xenovia wished she could pull her hood back and feel the wind in her hair; but she had only dared to do that a few times in the very depths of night. Now she simply gazed at the colored canvas surrounding the boat, trying to soothe herself.

So much worry, young Xenovia, she chastised herself gently. Remember you have only yourself and your mind to rely on. If it is clouded, you will not be able to avoid the mountains..

If Scarlet had heard that, she probably would have punched her in the arm. Or worse.

It was in her careful watchings of the waters that Xenovia noticed something...unusual. Here and there a shadow, usually in the same general area. At first she thought it might be some sort of sea creature, but there was nothing to be seen beneath the waters. So, about the time Muraco paused to look at her, Xenovia turned her gaze toward the skies.

Most would have to shield their eyes for such a thing, but Xenovia's bird eyes were quite familiar with gazing past brilliant rays of sunshine in search of fish. Despite the fact that she had reversed her role, it only took her a few flickers to discover the source of the shadow -- and she almost gasped aloud.

It was him. The Dreamweaver. She thought back to her vision, wondering which of the two little boys he was. Xenovia could just make him out, for he was flying quite high, and to others he would most likely appear to be a bird; but there was no mistaking those wings. Her gaze dropped again, lest someone notice her concentrated stare. Why had he followed them? Did he really not trust Xenovia with the Bane? Perhaps she truly wasn't the one who was meant to carry it, despite the fact that she had managed to escape with it. Would he take it from her? Didn't he know of his mother's decision? Did he care?

Xenovia shook her head. Around every bend there were a thousand more questions. If he wished to take the Bane from her she would fight for it, but no doubt he would win, and she would accept it. Regardless, they now had a Dreamweaver watching over them. A large weight was lifted from Xenovia's chest.

"Scarlet was just looking for you," Xenovia called out softly to Muraco. Her voice was buffeted by the winds, but she didn't care to disguise it, and the wolf would have little trouble catching her tones despite the disruption. "We land in a mark."
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Scarlet wrote:"Hey, Kytani? We're landing soon. If you want to go hurl over the side, now is the time."

Kytani's eyes moved to Scarlet's face, a wavering smile beneath them. "Thanks...", she choked out, rising shakily to her feet and stepping toward the other Kanthrop with slow, unsure footsteps - like a fawn fresh from the womb - and was thankful that she could not...and had not yet...warped, for the sight of a panther in the hold would be one thing and the sight of that same panther bowed almost in half as she tried to barf up her own anus was quite another.

"Cuh...can we even see land yet?" she asked, allowing Scarlet (in whichever way she chose) to lead her up to the main deck for the offered technicolor yell at the sea for all of this jostling. If an airship or portal were not available to get them off of Sierra, the others might have a Nether of a time getting that particular kitty back onto a ship without the merciful use of a blow to the back of the head being involved.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Had she known that Kytani was going to be such a problem on the ship, Scar could have easily fixed up some sort of purge or a tranquilliser for the sea-sick Kit. Something kinder than a kick to the head at least. As it stood, she was just going to have to suck it up and claw her way to the deck and endure the rocking of the ship until they made port.

"Xen probably can, looks like a smear to me." She called back, routing through the packs they had stashed in the hold. Finding her own, she slung it over her shoulder along with the waxed canvas bow case that held the recurve she had bought not a week ago from a trapper on Aveas using the small metal discs. A strange economy.

She took one look at Kytani and gathered up her pack as well. She could hardly carry herself, let alone her luggage. In any case, it was no great trouble. The Kanthrop packed light. Material goods were only of so much use, hardly ever thought of beyond the practical - though some ornaments did float about the tribes. Extending her remaining hand she offered to lead Kytani up onto the main deck.

"Come on, lets get you onto dry land."

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

OOC: Just finishing up.

Xenovia turned back into the wind, not caring whether or not Muraco replied. She was careful to tilt her head down slightly, so that her hood would not be blown back by the strong gusts. She could see the land in the distance more clearly than any other, but it was still small and unremarkable. A gentle sigh eased past her lips.

I wonder why he has come. Perhaps he will aid us. I'll have to watch for him when we land.

She stood with relative ease. Countless marks upon the wooden contraption had eventually leant stability to her long legs, which balanced upon the planks despite the roll of the sea as she stood staring out at the slowly growing stretch of land. Xenovia would never have imagined herself becoming a leader, let alone leaving Ursa to travel to lands infested with Humans and mysteries. She still expected to wake up at any moment, in awe of the ridiculous dream she'd had.

A quick pinch to her arm, however, largely confirmed that this was no dream, and the reality was only beginning.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”