Dealings on the 17th Pier Trade Tide

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Falco
Civus

Dealings on the 17th Pier Trade Tide

Post by Falco »

Stretching out a modest distance into the Citadel's large, calm harbor was a pier that was no longer used for shipping. Built towards the center of the boardwalk, Pier 17 had been outreached many yahren ago by the larger, more serviceable piers of the harbor after the moles were constructed to tame the unsettled waters of the Ocean. While most of the old piers were torn down, this one remained due to popularity due to tavern that grew upon it's broad, sturdy surface, a popular place open at all marks of the day and every day of the week, it's rosy, warm lights as familiar a sight to returning sailors as any lighthouse.

The tavern itself was unique in that it was constructed entirely of timber, as much from convenience as the potential dangers of weight. As such, it boasted only a single level with a sharp roof that towered up at a stern angle. A single chimney...for there was a stove within the building...rose well above the building itself, as much to protect the pier from its dangerous sparks as it was to protect the fires from the moist spray of the sea. A fresh coat of red paint covered the buildings past coats of paint, enough such that timbers themselves no longer displayed their grain. A broad pair of white double doors protected the entrance, though these were seldom closed or even noticed, and beyond these was a modest, brightly-lit taproom with a small, lacquered bar to the right and a half dozen snugs and tables to the left. Beyond these tables were another pair of doors, a magnificent pair made of stained glass set in iron that lead out to the Gallery beyond.

While there were a few tables located within the building itself, Pier 17 remained a popular eatery due to its magnificent covered porch. The Gallery, as the locals called it, was guarded on all three sides by a carefully crafted railing and imperfectly lit with the muted, amber glow of several brass lamps hung from the upper rafters such that the lights of the harbor were not diminished for the guests. Another small bar was stationed here alongside the stained glass doors that lead inside. A pair of short steps spilled out of the Gallery opposite the tavern building to the remainder of Pier 17, a popular place for evening walks or meetings.

Regardless of where one might be upon the pier, the odor of fresh, spiced fish cooking in the hidden kitchen was unmistakable, a marvelous smell that mixed with the fresh, sea air to leave the building with a relaxing and intoxicating scent. While a short, rotund man sat behind the inside bar of the establishment, he stared wistfully out one of the many windows of the building, watching the dockyard at work and leaving one of his employees…a petite girl of perhaps fourteen yahren with a considerably freckled face under warm, brown hair…to greet newcomer

Walking down the street street of the Citadel Falco had a smile crook of a smile upon his lips, As he made a quick walking pace with a soft tick tick tick sound of his staff striking the stones on the street and Breaking the silence of his silent foot falls. Falco was trying to blend in a little more this night then most as the Pier was not the best of places to attract eye's. He instead choice to keep his robe back at the School and put on this street clothing. Boot's breaches and a nice top shirt with a hint of gold around his neck line where his necklace always hung. Though there was also a faint shimmer every now and then as his shield would catch a faint flicker of light though mostly Falco kept that hidden to the few would could see the weaving of aether.

Getting Out past the gates in to the harbor was easy though he did let his shoulders slump for a moment at the though of going back though the rabble of beggars and cut purses at the gate. Though he was one of the few that did not hide there purses he let it lay in view on it's string though the wards he traced into it would give any who tried to cut the string or bag a very nasty burn upon the hand he found it somewhat amusing the pain someone would try and go though for a few banners. Reaching the pier after a short walk though the harbor Falco did have to sit back and smile at the building it self. It was not overly impressive though how it has survived here is impressive as every thing else around it was washed a way and taken down the Pier was like a new seed in the dirt keeping the soil around it close and trying to ready the area to take more growth.

Walking into the bar Falco lips turn up and yes eye's warmed to the little girl that greeted him. "Good day young miss I require a table for my self and a genital man I plan to meet. And how goes your evening this far quiet and trouble free I hope." Falco says letting his eye's travel around the room taking a look to see who is there and reaching out with with Aether testing for any wards while waiting for the young lady to show him to a table.[/quote]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Seeing the Aether throug a shield erected around him was akin to Falco seeking a reflection on the wall by looking through a fire, the flickering of the shield obscuring all but the strongest magickal sources. Not surprisingly the search did not reveal anything out of ordinary, the tavern little more than a place to eat and drink and as such needing very little in the terms of magickal protection. The girl as well was just a normal waitress, smiling politely and finding the mage’s manner a bit strange, given the pauses he had to make in order to tap into the Aether, but thought little of it. “Of course, sir. A table for two then? Would you like something to drink, or perhaps a light snack while you wait? I believe the bread sticks are fresh out of the oven and they should not ruin your appetite.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Yes miss a table for two would suit me very well. Though I would like a Glass of a red wine if you have any here as well as an apple." Falco said with a smile. Not that he did not like warm bread he just enjoyed fruit more when it was present, being not hungry an apple would be more then enough as he waited for the captain Largos. With a pleasant sigh Falco sat down letting his staff rest upon the table waiting for his drink and food to arrive. Giving his nose and scratch he figured he was going to be here a half an mark early (half an hour forget the time break down)
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

"A red whine and...an apple. Of course, sir." The waitress had only hesitated for a flicker when Falco had mentioned the apple. It wasn't a very common request for an appetizer, but she had definitely heard crazier stuff. She left only to return not much later with the whine and the apple. It took captain Largos about half a mark indeed to get to the tavern. During that time Falco could have watched the crowd in the tavern, which was quite mixed. There were tables where people were sitting alone, there were some couples being almost obnoxiously close and there were some tables with groups of men, talking or playing games.

Largos stepped up to Falco with a big smile on his face. "Ah! Falco! We finally meet again!" He sat down at the table with a big sigh. "Man, I've gotta tell ya, I love the sea, but it's good to be back on land again. Finally some decent food!" He grinned, slamming his hand on the table. "How's life been treating ya, my friend? Have the gods been any good to you?"
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

Sitting back in the chair Falco smiled sipping upon this wine and taking a bite every now and then of the apple. Looking around the room he enjoyed him self watching the gathering of people hearing the fain din of diffent groups of people. Looking at some of them he would peg them as being on the less understood side of the law and some looked a little to well off to fit in to this place. Though he mused to him self no one got rich by following all the rules.

Giving a small nod of his head to Largos as he sat down. "It is very good to see you again as well friend. I trust the salt spray did not did not put to much rust on your bones." Falco said with a warm smile. Life has been treating me well and the gods have not seen a need to change that yet and I hope not for a long time I kind of enjoy it." Falco said with a grin's. "You where telling me that you had a new hand on your ship did he make out well or did he end up going for a long swim?" Falco ask matter of factually though with a smile on his lips, in his earlier years he remembered pushing a few over in to the water though he was not sure Largos standing. Putting his hand in the air Falco gave a whistle letting the flows of air grip the sound to increase his whistle too one that was a little to loud to say the least... "Waitress...." Falco said a moment latter with a small grin on his face. "Sorry about that Largos a little louder then I was planning he say with a small ringing in his ear's and trying to avoid looking around the room.
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

"Ah! the new one!" Largos replied, "Yes, he was quite a pain indeed! I've thought about throwing him over a couple of times." He sighed. "But in the end, the lad turned out to be quite alright. I'll keep him along. See how he does on the next trip."

The people who were sitting at the tables close to them looked up at the loud noise coming from their table all of a sudden when Falco called for the waitress. The captain grinned as he looked around the room and met everyone's gaze with his own. He didn't care what people thought of him, he never really did. In fact, he found it quite entertaining that they were now all staring at them. When the people started to get back to their own conversations, Largos looked back at Falco again. "Don't worry about it man, it's quite the whistle you got there! I'm sure it'll attract her attention." The waitress didn't take long to get there indeed, although she seemed slightly irritated. She managed to create a small smile on her face. "Can I help you with anything, sir?"
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Food for the Good Captian and my self if you would please Fruit and another wine for my self and..." He said looking to Largos so he could add what he wanted to the order. Waiting for Largos to order Falco sat back and waited for the Waitress to wander off making a mental note that he better remember to tip the server.

"It is indeed grand for getting a lady attention though sometime a red palm print on the hand comes a long with it." Falco said with a smile. How long are you staying in port this time? As is it your home here or do you reside upon a different port of call so to speak?" Falco said emptying the last of his wine glass. "Though I don't want to talk shop yet so tell me how your travels and dealing have been as of late." Falco said letting a pleasant sigh leave his lips waiting for the meal and drinks to return.
Graves

Post by Graves »

(( OOC: I, a lowly supporter, have been assigned to your thread! I'm no Meridiuz, but hopefully we can have some fun. ;) ))

Largos smirked evenly, thoroughly enjoying Falco's flippant manner almost as much as he did the waitress's look of absolute irritation.

"I'll have a Glenn Garrich and some bread and spiced cheese and..." the man said, pausing between each as if carefully constructing a meal, "... and a little bit of Kislovani beef, if you have any." The man settled back into his chair and regarded Falco evenly, waving the waitress away with a small gesture, which only served to further increase her apparent irritation. "Better the palm print be on the hand than on the face, I'd like to think," Largos laughs, easy merriment filling his eyes.

"I'm only in port for the next two days, you know how it was with business-- it never sleeps. I have a home here, but with how scarcely I get to sleep in my own bed, I might as well have just moved my room onto the ship itself," his eyes weren't dissatisfied, though, and that ruthless smile remained upon his countenance. He clearly didn't mind his travels.

"This last sojourn was pretty fair, though we did get a nasty storm in port at Hafne, delayed us about four marks," he whistled slightly. "But we ended up with an even better deal on some fine Glenn Garrich and some other whiskeys through a friend of a friend," the last emphasized purposefully with a wink in Falco's direction. "So in the end we came out slightly ahead despite the delay. Our customer here at home, works for Crane, threw a fit about the tardiness, but let's face it-- he ain't getting a better deal on Garrich from anyone who works my route... or at least not if I have anything to say about it."

Here Largos drew his thumb across his throat in a silencing motion, and raised an eyebrow at Falco with a loud guffaw of laughter. "But I'm sure you know how business is," he repeated, lounging back once again.

"And you? How've you been enjoying your... books?" The last said with a genuine curiousity, for he had absolutely no idea of what Falco had been doing since their last meeting.
Last edited by Graves on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]But remember when I moved in you,
And the Holy Dove was moving too,
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah...

--- Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah[/i]
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

(ooc welcome and please don't kill me sniffles offers you part of meridiuzs pay :P)

"So so true Largos I do agree I rather my hand sting then my face." He said with shrug. "Though I do have to agree with you it is sometime a wonder why we stay where we do, though the bed we sometimes sleep in feels more like home then the bed you live out of." Falco said with a shrug my home I don't think I will see again though I can still r ember the smell." Falco said with a smile sitting back remembering better times before bringing his eye's back down.

With a smile smiles providing the friends of friends make my pocket heavier I have not problem with them though if they make my pocket lighter.... " Falco said with a smile I will have a nice chat with them. giving them 10 reason never to steal from me." Falco said taking a bite of his fruit. He was not sure how humans could eat so much meat and still feel well wanting more. "Business is business." Falco said with a smile. " I use to take to much joy in the darker sides of it.

At the mention of books Falco's eye's took on a dangerous sparkle as he looked at the captian. "They go well I have found some intresting very intresting idea's and casting methods though I have yet to try them out as of yet in the next few day's I will be casting one spell in the UofM training area seeing if it will work as I planned or blow up in my face." Falco said with a soft laugh. "Would not be the first time I replaced a robe when and idea goes a little wrong." Falco ended with a soft laugh. "Old magic pack more of a kick then we give them credit for." Your next trip in I may have a light that makes no heat or smoke for you if you are interested. If I can make it how I plan." Falco said with a smile and a shrug. "All that I ask is you keep your eye's open for books that may have a magical past them."
Graves

Post by Graves »

"Well having a bed is just fine and dandy. It makes you think you have somewhere to come home to. It's not the house that people want, it's the comforts of the sheets..." Captain Derrick Largos began, the smile lingering on his lips like dew on morning grass. At this point, the waitress walked by with the food and drink, trying her best to avoid Largos' gaze.

"... but I bet there are some who prefer the comfort that lies between those sheets, wouldn't you say?" here he waggled his eyebrows suggestively at the waitress. The woman rolled her eyes and scoffed, being more than familiar with Derrick Largos and his antics (or having been warned by the other girls who worked at the Pier).

"I'll definitely look for books next time I'm in port, anything to help a benefactor..." he trailed off, staring at the departing behind of the waitress as he spoke.

"I thought the University was vanished?" Largos asked between bites of his bread and cheese; the smell of the sea commingled with his sizzling steak in what was almost an appetizing manner. "What's this cast you're planning? I'm a bit ignorant in terms of magick, closest I've come to caster was this girl aboard my first ship. She was a sea witch something fierce, calling breezes on a whim. A useful commodity, wind blowers." He nodded and then looked intently at Falco, waiting for his explanation of his magick casting.

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

True the flesh does appeal to all though... Sometimes the constant yammering makes the time of bliss not worth it." Falco said with a laugh a few moments after the server was out of ear shot. "Thank you for the eye for books they are rare to come across so I don't think you will but..." Falco ended in a shrug.

"Oh no the UofM is still fine though it is in two peaces the lower half is still here in the citadel, though the upper half is in Sierra. Think of it as a caster made a small error in judgment when protection spell was cast." Falco said with a grin needless to say there where many worried people for a while now it is just an inconvenience to go back and forth." Falco said with a laugh. "I know the one who cast it or I should say helped cast it he is in with the dog's so to speak."

"Oh it is simple... Well in theory simple It is and old magic I have been studying over the last few months I have not attempted a casting with it yet though in a day or two I should be trying to. Think of it this way a lamp that does not burn oil or make heat in the ship, no chance of fire if it is knocked over or dropped..... if it works as planned.... if." Falco said with a small grin. "Though that being said I don't know how long the spell will last that is the problem it may last flicker or it may last a lifetime. I truly do not know that is the problem I am facing right now." Falco said ending in a shrug with his face showing a few signs of frustration.

Sitting back Falco took a drink of his fresh wine. "On to business now though friend what was the return on my investment As I wish to set you sailing with most of the investment when you head out again in the coming day's." As it does me no good to hold it here I would rather have money working for both of us to gives us a little more spending money for the lady's of the night.. or for books" Falcos said with a grin though his tone told the captain that he truly placed the book above the flesh.
Graves

Post by Graves »

"I don't know, I've had myself some really terrible lays, and in the end they were all worth it in some small way," Largos snickered as he spoke, still staring fondly at the posterior of the waitress. He scarcely seemed to listen to Falco's next comment, his eyes squinting fondly and his mouth forming a small crescent of appreciation.

"Split in half you say? Mages are as strange as they say," he began, winking at Falco. "Present company excluded, of course. Even if it was an accident, you'd think they'd reverse it. Who the Nether would want to go to Sierra?" He shrugged and continued dissecting his food with a practiced hand. He listened distractedly to Falco's description of the casting he was working on, nodding emphatically as to its usefulness.

"If you can make it work, I'll take six. Nearly had a fire last time we were in port in Aveas. Drunken sailors tend to get overzealous with fire aboard ships." He grinned, despite his obvious irritation. Derrick Largos was not a man who held grutches, but he definitely knew what he wanted and did not want.

"Return was good this time around," Largos began lazily, reaching into his coat and withdrawing a small silk pouch bursting its seams with coins. "Four crowns, doubled your money, I think?" Here he paused, uncertainly, dangling the bag in front of his face by its drawstrings for a few moments, before catching it in the palm of his hand and tossing it otno the table between them.

"I don't suppose a mage of your talents has any friends in high places, do you? I've taken a liking to you, and I'd be very interested in expanding our agreement. The investors are barking after me, wanting me to turn their coins around, but... there's something good in your nature, Falco. I'm giving you first chance. The next shipment is going to be... significantly larger... and I expect the return may be even greater... if, that is, you have the means and interest?"

Largos' smile was shark-like, but somehow retained its friendly demeanor. The sailor was a business man... but there was nothing duplicitous in his manner.

Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"Falco giving small nod think of it this way." Falco said in response to why not just reverse it. "You are sailing to dort with enough water to get you there and a few extra day's on the sea. after you stop in dort would you sail back right a way or replenish your supplies 1st? Magic is strong but the amount of power that it would would take to move us back will be a very long time trying to resupply it." Simplest way to think of it Falco though to him self though he would leave out the danger of trying that as well though.

As largos reached in to grab the coins Falco sat back schooling him self, he had the small curse of loving treasure to much. Reaching over taking the pouch after a few moments opening it pulling the strings tight again a few moments latter. "Very nice return." Falco said leaving the pouch on the table. as he hear Largos mention more trade. "What kind of shipment? and how much more are you thinking will be needed? to help fill it? As I could ask around or acquire more." Falco said thinking to him self he knew a few people who may invest. though he mussed to him self unlikely but.. "I have the interest.... though the mean's." Falco said with a shrug. knowing he has the rest of his money to help with the funding though how much more was going to be wanted he did not have a clue about.
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Derrick smiled and placed two Gold Crowns on the table as payment for the meal.

"Walk with me my friend. Do you know that my ship the 'Fascination' can hold up to one hundred tons of cargo? Sadly though this next shipment look to be only a quarter of that. That is unless you can come up with... lets say one hundred, and fifty Gold Crowns."

Largos spots a vender pushing a cart on the pier and starts walking towards him.

"I could delay my departure an extra day, giving you the rest of today and three full days to find a few more investors. If not, then should I put you down for the same amount as last time?"

Largos thumbed through the items of the cart, as he waited for Falco's reply.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Falco
Civus

Post by Falco »

"I will see what I can do." Falco said in regards to the investment. " I will asking around to see If I can acquire some more investors if I can..." Falco trailed off. "

I will invest 9 crowns into this shipment of my own money, sadly it is all I can afford, I would have invested the full amount though that being said the money upon this next shipment should help me fund your boat better with my cut from any of the extra investors I can bring on." That was true though with the 9 crowns would leave Falco almost broke though that being said the scribing kept him well to do.

"It is to late this night to start the search though tomorrow when i hall my self from my slumber I will head out." Scanning the cart quickly for something of interest Falco continued on. "I suppose our deal is done for now." Falco said offering his hand. "I shall talk to you within the next few day's may even come aboard your ship to look around it has been a while since I have set a foot on one. Until we meat again my friend." Falco said waiting for a few moments before starting to make his way back to the UofM thinking to him self it is such a lovely evening he start making his way back to the portal in a round about way letting his feet take him wondering on there way back.
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Largos spotted a book in the cart. Using hand jesters to the vender, he offered 5 banners for the book. He silently haggled with the vender as he listen to Falco's proposal to find more investors. Largos gave the vender a crossed look and stoped the haggle at 12 banners. Largos picked up the book and started walking again with Falco, as Falco went on about his ship.

"You are more then welcome to come aboard ship and visit with me. I will give you the grand tour."

"As for the future investors, I will wait the extra day. You know I can give you 10 percent of what the other investors pay as you investment this way there is no lose to you. After all you will be doing me a favor by finding others to invest, which will increase our profits."

Largos shook Falco hand, and handed Falco the book he just bought from the vendor.

"I believe you will enjoy this book. Here is where I must depart. Good night my friend."

Falco looks down at the title of the book. 'The Balance between Man's Magic and Man's Spirit.'

Until we meet again my friend." Falco said waiting for a few moments before starting to make his way back to the UofM thinking to him self it is such a lovely evening he start making his way back to the portal in a round about way letting his feet take him wondering on there way back.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”