A Wench With Less Grinch (Jygust 30th, Early ET) Open

Moderators: Meridiuz, Grey Wolf, Graves, Mods

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Post by Gerrard MacKaree »

Gerrard looked amazed at Motley. "Why, sir, that's is most horrible. I'm glad you and your friends survived. And here I thought I was the one to have a bad time. Such hardships that fell to you and the city. I had wondered why the state of the city was so bad and why the city was more than willing to sell me a place at the Rue d'Eunys. This does explain..." he said, as suddenly some of the pieces of this puzzle seemed to fit together.

"I wonder if there's nothing I can do to help the city and it's inhabitants. Of course, after my business has taken off." he said, pondering the possibilities of maybe a rebuilding fund, or a sort of loan system for new businesses taking off, of course with good interest for him. As well as a percentage of the profits... There certainly were possibilities here, if he had the money.

"I must admit, though, master Motley, you are the braver between the two of us, if you want to go back to Roque. It must be hard to see it as it is, especially when you have been there yourself during it's tides of darkness. Is it not, sir?" he asked politely, flattering the little bard a bit, see if he was susceptible to it.
Last edited by Gerrard MacKaree on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

"Be glad you missed it. It was a terrible thing."

As the merchant spoke, Motley studied the other man carefully. The ugly little bard was a student of people. He was fascinated by them and he often watched them carefully, even on stage at times during performances. He couldn't quite put his finger on what seemed to be amiss with Gerrard, but he could not quite shake the feeling that something was off.

As Gerrard pondered his tale, and began to speak of the Rue d'Eunys, he suddenly stopped and quickly changed his tale from one of curiosity to one of possibilities of helping the town rebuild. There was no mention even a source of discomfort as Motley had spoken of the dead and injured, despite the fact that Gerrard had just recently found out that some of his relatives just died in that conflict. Motley mentioned the dead, and there was little or no reaction. He seemed to be more interested in his profits and his business. Before, there was shock, disbelief, and the man had been near tears. Now he was discussing his business with a greater amount of importance. Motley could not help feeling something was amiss here. He didn't believe that MacKaree was lying, not yet anyway, but there was something unspoken about the relationship between Gerrard and his Uncle, and he found himself wanting to keep a certain amount of respectable distance and detachment from Gerrard because of it.

Its probably nothing you fool. Then again, you've been pursued by assassins, lawless city watchmen, and other rogues and cutpurses before. Trust your instincts. Something isn't quite right here. But don't dismiss the man just because you hear some sort of cautionary whisper in your soul...

"It was hardly bravery. I would call it a strong sense of self preservation. Many were seeking the source of the storm. I was merely came across him by happenstance."

Happenstance, as in Happenstance Bazaar. Another reminder of his home... Motley thought as he purposefully used a subtle clue of home to provoke a reaction, or lack thereof.

"It was difficult to see it damaged and broken, yet at the same time it was hopeful and uplifting. The people were rebuilding with a spirit of hope and optimism. It made me proud to be a citizen of our fair city."

Somewhat consciously, Motley was attempting to project these emotions onto Gerrard. In his studies with Becca and Morgan, he had read about the power of suggestion and command through voice, and with conscious effort, he was attempting that very sort of magic to get a response from Gerrard. In his mind, this was the perfect way to test Gerrard. A true mourner would not feel these positive feelings and emotions. If Gerrard were truly sad, his sorrow would override the projected feelings, or at least they would by Motley's estimation and guess. If Gerrard felt the influence and grew upset, Motley would admit to trying to ease the man's suffering for his loss. It was a plausible enough story, and so he decided to try it.
Last edited by Motley on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Motley's words drifted upon a subtle undercurrent of power, influencing any of the unwary who heard them. Gerrard could not know to beware these things and so they infiltrated his musings. The novice businessman was imagining the opportunites afforded by riding the wave of restoration. The wave grew in size and impact and swelled with feelings of hope and optimism, dragging Gerrard's train of thought into another reality. He had made friends and financiers in the Citadel and the Eastern Empire. He had wealth both real and promised with which to sweep in and save a town of luxury spenders, forever embedding himself in their purses - they would eat in his restaurants, buy his silks and spices, pay premium for exotic Eastern tea, art and fashion, and sell - mayhap award - him land and nobility! All that Gerrard had hoped for, planned for... it was laid out in front of his fingertips for the taking.

The facade was crumbling quick; it would take but a flicker to linger on these things for Gerrard to show his heart upon his sleeve.
Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard had a warm and fuzzy feeling deep down inside as the different options played out before him in his head. A smile appeared on his face as Motley spoke of hope and optimism. Soon after the bard had ended his words, however, the smile made way for words. "I am willing, Motley, to work toward hope and optimism even more by helping rebuild. As soon as I have the means that is. Your words are something I have embraced ever since I was shipwrecked. It would be an honour to bestow those feelings on others." he said, justifying the smile he had had.

Back to the reality that wasn't real... for him at least. "I'll have to look up the person looking after his business. Set wheels in motion. I can't let the family's pride and honour go to waste. A Mackaree should head it, even if he has not a son or daughter to inherit it. I must do it in his name." he spoke, determined of the business and how important it was to him and his family.

"Tell me, do you know how he was buried?" Gerrard said, trying to think of his ill mother before he had ran away from home, trying to push out tears that way.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley looked on in curious fascination as his subtle magic worked its effect. A smile played about Gerrard's features, a hint of bright cheerfulness was in his tone. Surely after just having just found out that his uncle had been killed along with many others in the man's home town, he would be incapable of such positive emotions?

Right or wrong, Motley felt down deep that something was amiss in Gerrard's tale, and now with this subtle test, he was certain there was more to the story that what Gerrard was telling. Motley sat back in his chair, resting his hands on the wooden arms, a thoughtful expression on his face as Gerrard continued on with the conversation.

"I'm sorry, I don't know how he was buried, or if he was buried at all. The news that several council members died in the Red Storm came to me during my recovery in the aftermath. I was not privy to any of the details, and I was too hurt to attend any of the funerals."

Motley suddenly leaned forward again, speaking softer and lower so others could not hear. The truth of the man's tale would have to wait. The ugly little man would let him off the hook for now, but should the situation require it, he know he could continue along and get back in that boat, so to speak. It was a conversation that would require a great deal more privacy if Gerrard was ever going to tell him the full truth. He let the matter drop for the time being, for now was a good time to get back to the discussion of business.

"What you say about your family business is intriguing as I find myself in a similar situation. I will tell the tale of my family history and the circumstances of my birth to you at a later time as it is a long and complicated story, but what I would like to share with you now is that I too am looking to add to my family's stature and influence, even though I am not a direct heir. Not yet anyway, but that is the exact goal I have in mind. Perhaps if we ally ourselves together, we can both succeed in turning these wishes into reality. As I said, I have several contacts here, and even more back in Roque. I am very interested in helping you bring your Eastern Products to Western shores. I would like to hammer out some sort of agreement before we reconvene in the Summer City. Is this amenable to you?"

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard was completely oblivious to the effects of the Bard's voice on him and did not know that Motley had gained some knowledge about the soon-to-be entrepreneur.

"It is alright, Motley. I could not think that you should know how he was buried. After all, he was no family of yours." he replied, not blaming the disfigured human for his lack of information. It would've helped him if he had known more though, but he could always find out when he was back in the Mer-city.

"Amenable is something we have yet to see, but propositions are always most welcome. Especially from friends. As you well know, a venture as this can not be started with no funds at all. While I'm having a few meetings tomorrow for funding, it wouldn't be bad to have a partner whom I could share my part of the costs and profits with. Of course, it will make me less money, but if you really do have contacts that prove valuable, who knows what there's to get?" the Roquean said. "So if you have anything to propose, do it now, before another walks away with it. And if you don't have one now, you always know where you can find me." he said, taking a sip from his coffee.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley took a deep interest in Gerrard's words and manner. Clearly he was used to negotiating, and Motley had seen his fair share of haggling and bartering, but the man's style was quite unique. The ugly little man was confident that in certain situations,the tactic would be quite effective. At least it certainly brought about a desire to barter in him here and now.

He remained silent for a few flickers, pondering his opening offer. If he assumed too much, he would laughed out of the negotiation. Too little, and he would be taken advantage of and give away any and all power that he had. He studied the table top carefully, silently assessing what he knew of Gerrard thus far.

Thinking himself in an advantageous position, he offered up something a deal higher that what he truly wanted to have.

"With my contacts and family, I believe I can fund a third of your expenditures, in exchange for a third of the profits. As an added bonus and incentive, I will also perform in the restaurant after its opening, for a one in ten share of the house take, and free food and drinks for me and any guests I happen to bring in."

He sat back and let the merchant ponder his offer.

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

"With your contacts and family? Contacts I do not know anything about, that you haven't yet told me about. Deducting ten percent for that, five if they sound like good contacts to have. Family... you are not an heir, so what gives you the right to think you'll have them back you up financially? That's costing you another ten percent. Gain five if they do bring in money." Gerrard said, striking down the deal hard. His points, however, were valid. He hadn't researched the dwarf-height man, and he had already admitted he wasn't an heir and that he tried to become one. For all Gerrard knew, this man had no influence in his family at all. The contacts... well, he was a man from the street, he granted Motley that, but again, no information whatsoever made Gerrard hesitant to take his word on this.

"That gets you cut back to... thirty-three minus twenty... that equals thirteen percent." Gerrard said, matter of factly. "Now, you would be a shareholder and thus attending the opening would be free, along with say... three guests of your choice. You offer your services for our venture, let's add two percent for that, since you won't always be performing, having an agenda of your own, I assume. Gets us back at fifteen percent." He looked the bard in the eyes with his piercing blue orbs for a flicker.

Before the performer could reply, the aspiring merchant spoke again. "Of course, this will provide you with free food and drink. A maximum of three guests per evening who eat and drink for free. This number might be higher when I get tables providing seating for more than four persons in the restaurant. Prime seating, unless high officials or important customers are around. And sleeping accomodation for both you and your invited guests, if you don't mind having a room mate, since I plan on having two bedrooms above the restaurant." he said, making it sound almost like a contract with clauses. "Of course, this will all be arranged only if you can announce your guests the day before, so I can take care of seating arrangements and accomodations for the night. Impromptu guests will be paying half price, with free beds at night, but prime seating can not be guaranteed."

A smile was on Gerrard's face. "This way, you will take less risk and once I have proof about the fund you can bring in, we can always review and change our agreement accordingly. What do you say, master Motley?" His hands were at this time in front of him on the table, fingertips locked together, creating a closed space in front of him, as if he tried to say 'this is the offer, no bartering possible beyond this point'. Gerrard obviously knew the most basic thing about body language.
Last edited by Gerrard MacKaree on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Ah.... When money comes into play, it brings out the fire in him...

Motley's long, slender fingers cradled his chin as he rested his elbow on the table. His mismatched eyes looked intently at Gerrard. Given his success a few moments ago, there was a brief span where he considered getting what he wanted through the use of his meager power. He briefly pondered the pros and cons of doing so, before deciding that once he set foot on that path, he would forever be walking it, and the misshapen little man didn't ever want to be a slave to anything. He had always been cautious and judicious in the use of his talent, and he saw no reason to use magic just for the sake of using magic. A contract was a contract, and altering the terms of the agreement without the other party's knowledge was unscrupulous and shady, and he simply had had enough of that in his life already. If he was going to bring wealth and influence to his family, he would not give his grandfather a reason to doubt him or where it came from.

Let's see how much or how little of Roque d'Ancourt he knows and how much fire he truly has inside...

Although Gerrard's posture was one of finality and certainty, Motley began to add to the negotiations anyway, thinking he had nothing to lose.

"Very well then, if you wish to know more about my associations, that's only fair, after all, we have only just met. Let me tell you a little more about what I'm bringing to this table. My uncle was Lord Forrestal von Emstallach, head of the von Emstallach family, and a member of the Roque d'Ancourt City Council, the same as your uncle. He was also killed in the Red Storm, and my grandfather, Gerben von Emstallach is now the leader of the family. With no other living children, I am the sole heir to the family's holdings in Roque now. As if this wasn't enough, I also have some stake and influence with the Schattendrachen family, and Baron Rachinon Schattendrachen and his son, my half brother Ceadric, also have considerable standing and influence in the city as well."

He took a sip of his coffee, letting the names sink in. If Gerrard truly knew the city and it's social and political circles, these were names that he would not only be familiar with, but also likely respected.

"As for my other, non related associations, I am in good standing with the Baron of Brie, Sebastian Beauvais. As you know Brie is the breadbasket of the Baronial Estates, and his popularity and reputation with the other Barons in the estates has earned him a great deal of influence in that region. Count Joris Drakedoder, and his family in Dragonskeep hold me in high regard for my service to them last yahren."

"I have only been in Citadel a short while, but I have been in the service of, and friends with, several members of the University of Magic, including the widely known and respected Professor Elvin Motrice. I have been in employed by the Lady Gywien, head of the Rocky Island Guild, and I have recently been in contact with a member of the influential Lo Russo Family from World's Mouth."

Motley smiled his broad, crooked grin, and mildly scratched at his beard.

"As far as my reputation as a performer, I have played and performed before nobility in nearly every city of the West, including at King Balthasar's coronation, and in my short time here in the Empire, I have garnered a fair name and standing among the population and musicians here."

Motley let his hand descend lightly to the table's surface.

"So you see Master MacKaree. I have the ear of several prominent people throughout the West, as well as here in the Empire. I have the ability to add substantial growth and reach to your trading company. The people of the West I imagine would pay quite well for the products we could bring them from the East. I'm sure you would benefit quite well from the nobility of Roque d'Ancourt, a few of the Baron Estates, a Baron in World's Mouth, the future courtiers of Citadel and mages from the University all as your clientele, not to mention the other musicians and artists I could bring to your establishment. You could have the greatest talent in the world performing for you and your customers every night."

"I think if you spend a few moments considering all the potential sources of income I might be able to bring to you, you'll find that having me as a partner is quite a bargain at the prices I mentioned before. Yet, I can certainly see where a relative stranger comes in and asks for a third of your profits could be quite shocking and unacceptable, so I'll sweeten the deal even further for you. I am ready to contract a deal right now for a one in four share of company profits instead of a one in three, and for a one in ten share of the house take in your restaurant, as well as the ability to renegotiate the entire contract at at a later time, all under the terms you prescribed a moment ago."

He fell silent, giving time for Gerrard to carefully consider what he was offering. In Motley's mind, the worst thing the merchant could say was no, and even though that would be a major blow to his efforts to legitimize his claim as heir to the von Emstallach family, it would not be the death of his plan. He would simply need to find another that could offer the same thing in terms of trading with the strange shores of the Eastern Empire, perhaps even the sea Captain that Gerrard had mentioned earlier in their conversation.
Last edited by Motley on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerrard MacKaree
Civus

Gerrard was losing interest if the small man kept on yapping and bartering more. Thirteen percent was not bad to start off with. Not bad at all. Bla bla bla council bla bla Emstellach bla bla bla. However, when the little bard used words like Baron, Count and King, the bearded man's ears perked up. Now that's interesting, he really could be of value.

"It sounds interesting, Master Motley" he said, clasping his hands together. He rubbed his chin and looked at the bottom of his mug. "I'll counter that offer with something in the middle. Same terms I stated before with a twenty percent share, five percent of all the house take and renegotiation as soon as the other investors have been paid back, unless you want to quit the cooperation beforehand."

"Take it, leave it. I'm starting myself and have investors to pay back. Investors who have more clout than you, among which is your acquaintance master Motricé. I'm fairly sure that I can fare without you, but with you, we could make it better, more earnings and if you become my partner in the end, we'll be making name for us in all lands of Tazlure. Even in the Eastern Empire. Better even, if we get rich, I'll take you there myself! Introduce you to the important people over there. What do you say, Motley, do we have a deal?" he continued, trying to use promises and names to get some more leverage. Although, he did not lie to the bard. Not yet anyway. He extended his hand, waiting for the bard to shake it.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley could imagine the wheels turning in Gerrard's mind, calculating, negotiating, offer and counter offer. His mention of others having more clout was a fair point. Today, he had little more than the lint in his pockets. But in the future?

Tomorrow might bring all kinds of new possibilities...

He reached and shook Gerrard's hand firmly, securing the deal.

"Very well then. A two in ten share will be amenable enough... for now."

Which will give me some time to get back home, search the MacKaree family records, and figure out whatever it is that you're hiding...

Motley sipped at the last of his beverage and dabbed at his chin with his napkin.

"I will seek you out at your office in the Ronde d'Eunys at my earliest opportunity. I don't imagine you'll be disappointed with the decision you've made. Our families can make for a powerful alliance."

The ugly little man scooted out of his chair to his feet and put his patchwork coat back on.

"If you will excuse me, I need to see to other arrangements and engagements. I enjoyed meeting you Mister MacKaree. I will enjoy meeting with you again in the very near future."

He sketched a bow to his new business partner and made his way back out to the streets, his mind a whirling dervish of possibilities and plans.

Return to “Inner & Outer Ring”